Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do You Fear Any Animals?

Default Re: Do You Fear Any Animals?

anyone ever hear of a fishfly?
    they only come around for one month by the lake and they come in swarms.
    they cover the streets and actually cause accidents becuase cars slide on them when trying to brake. they smell like fish and have big nasty wings. they are attracted to light so it is a lot of fun trying to pump gas at night in a heavily infested area. they are harmless but i have a major fear them.

sugarmouse

i love them all apart from man.........

and wasps!! i would nevr klill them and ihave respect for them..but i am scared of them!

Moths - they're truly terrifying. All of that fluttering freaks me out

Quote lmd
    Moths - they're truly terrifying. All of that fluttering freaks me out
    Really?!!? I think moths are GORGEOUS!! Way prettier then butterflys!! They remind me of little owls with ears!!
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

[COLOR=Purple]That's a nice description! Logically I know they're ok, but I just can't be in the same room as one [/COLOR]

Horses.

Roaches - especially those flying ones (And any flying insect which bumps into me in their confusion), and wild, carnivorous, unrestrain animals i guess..

Spiders are scary!!!1
    "LESS IS MORE, STAY PURE STAY POOR"

Pink_princes

OMG! I hate spiders so much i know the ones in england won't hurt me apart from a slight tickle but the massive ones terrify me that i go in a huge stage of panic where i sweat and everything.

Sharks scare me. I know living in Cambridgeshire i am very unlikly to bump into one but you can never be to careful

da na da na, da da da da dadadada!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

da na da na.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote catmogg

?
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Um, Jaws!!!

- Byron

I saw a shark once when I surfing. I was really scared. I think it traumatized me for life.

Quote puffin
    Sharks scare me. I know living in Cambridgeshire i am very unlikly to bump into one but you can never be to careful
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Definately spiders hands down. After I see one I get all nervous and have to start looking around cause and they make me feel all anxious and jittery. Most other creatures I can handle. It's most likely because my mom is an intense arachnophobic so I guess it's just a learned behavior and phobia that I got growing up from her.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

spiders, other various bugs, moths because they are ALWAYS flying into me. i dont know why. they always hit me when they fly around and i start screaming. i used to be scared of bees but not anymore. and anything under the water freaks me out! when i went swimming at my dads river, i was so scared of things grabbing my feet :|

actually u know, im not nearly as scared of spiders and bugs as i used to be. i wonder why?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote catmogg
    Lol, i got it, its just Kiran who didnt

I used to be scared from lotsa things but since I've been practicing loving kindness meditation and looking deeply meditation (for a few years now) I don't feel afraid and strangely creatures seem to sense that.

I mean sure I would be real scared if I shark mistook me for dinner, or if a bear was chasing me (unlikely in australia) I think I fear humans more than other creatures in my general environment.

Antony

yogini

leeches and mozzies.

Quote abrennan
    ...I think I fear humans more than other creatures in my general environment.

Antony
    Yes, me too abrennan.....

what about mosquitos? those vampire jerks

RubyDuby

I have an irrational fear of horses as well... mostly because they're so big and I'm used to dogs where I can read them and am comfortable acting as the Alpha dog. I'm not very big and since I havent been around horses much...

Roaches. Not afraid of so much, but have conflicting views because of them. I lived in North Carolina before we moved to California and cockroaches are a big problem there. I hate feeling as though a living being should die just because they are inconveniences to humans, but there has to be a line, doesnt there? I mean, we can't mimic Joes Apartment with roaches as our roommates, can we???? I was only a vegetarian then, without the internet, and the idea of searching for an alternative method online escaped me at the time and I eventually swallowed my convictions and allowed my roommates to summon the exterminator... Still feel bad and confused about it.

I was never afraid of spiders before, but I work at a kennel in the hills of California and I met my first tarantula the other day. Gotta tell ya, I was freaked out!!! It was enormous!! I got a co-worker to catch it and set it free, but I had horrible visions of big hairy spiders crawling on me ever time I felt a stray hair on my neck. It was creepy, but cool looking at the same time.

I didn't know I was afraid of sharks either, as Jaws was such an exaggerated movie and I never lived near the ocean so it was never a threat, but when I lived in NC we were near Wrightsville Beach and let me tell ya, I acquired a fear of sharks. Shark attacks happened more than I expected!! kept me out of the water a lot!

Mosquitos suck, literally!! My biggest fear comes, irrationally or rationally, I'm not sure, from the idea that they can spread HIV... anybody know if this is true??

People however, are the scariest of all, in more ways than can be explained. We suck.

So... pretty much, I'm afraid of everything!! Aspiring agoraphobe???
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

RubyDuby

Oh, Yeah. I forgot a big one. Rattlesnakes! They are a huge problem at my job because we can't watch every dog every second and even with rattlesnake fencing they get onto the property and its a threat to the dogs. I've found 2 so far, plus a dog got bit by one in the yard one day when I wasn't there. Luckily, the girl working noticed the swelling right away and the dog lived (amazingly enough). Anyway, its another fairly new fear of mine. (to add to the billions of others )
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Blueshark

Quote Plunder Bunnie
    However, i have a bizarre fear of dinosaurs.
    Lol.

I used to be scared (terrified?) of dogs as a child, but now I am actually drawn to them. Even if the dog is barking widly at me, I dont get phased.

feral

Anything that can jump at me with evil intent & anything that can kill me with one bite.... I hate sharks and crocs as they're just so agressive looking, although I would do them any harm... unless they were trying to eat me!

Blueshark

Is it evil or survival for a shark to kill for food?

LittleNellColumbia

feral

Quote Blueshark
    Is it evil or survival for a shark to kill for food?
    Who said anything about sharks being evil?

This thread cracks me up.

My mum and i used to get hysterical about woolf spiders in the bath. We'd kind of whip each other up into a frenzy over them and back off shreiking, etc. Then when i left home i encountered one in the shower room at uni and realised i wasnt really that scared of them at all. Its not like i wanted to pet it or anything but my previous behaviour was totally over the top; funny how infectious fear can be.!!
    Although... i did read that we swallow at least four or five spiders a year cause they crawl into your mouth while you sleep and felt a little more reluctant to hit the pillow!

But no, as others have pointed out, its human beings that are the most dangerous animals in the world. While some animals can be deadly it won't be them that wreck the planet and end life as we know it....

- Byron

feral

lol catmogg you've just reminded me of my father in law's fear of spiders.. he managed to have a pee one night while one was in the bath and was so proud of himself he had to tell everyone, funny thing was he was an undertaker.. could work with dead bodies all day but was terrified of spiders lol.

tabitha

When I was nearly full term pregnant with Steve, I was lying beside Scott (then aged 2), reading him bed time stories one night and THE most ENNNNORRRRMOUS spider I have ever seen in my life casually strolled over my bump. I leapt up off this very low bed and jumped up and down to get it off me (swearing like a trooper). Scott was terrified (of lunatic fat mother not spider) and hid under the blanket. I hurt so much after that. The baby inside me was also terrified and didnt stop kicking me for hours afterwards. So the answer to the question, as Geoff in Australia well knows, is SPIDERS

Russ

No animals really. Except those HUGE spiders, and I mean Huntsman size. I was in Australia for a while and never saw one except dead ones in a museum, they are so big it's unreal. Like the size of your head. But apparently they're harmless and only the small ones can do you any damage. They have to kill the redbacks over there cause otherwise they bite you and kill you, from what I hear. Or at least do you enough damage so that you have to rush to hospital.

tabitha

Shudders. Theres a spider over in Australia (so I heard) that can bite through your shoe.

Russ

There's also a snake that can travel back in time.

feral

Quote tabitha
    Shudders. Theres a spider over in Australia (so I heard) that can bite through your shoe.
    *gulp* .. maybe we won't be going there for a year when I recover

tabitha

Wow thats clever.

Russ

Seriously though, has anyone heard of the camel spider?

Makes the huntsman look like a tick.

http://www.buckstix.com/camelspider.htm

These things eat cats and dogs. They live in Iraq and from what I understand spend most of their time running around the desert screaming.

tabitha

That is absolutely HORRIBLE and I really wish I hadnt looked. If I have nightmares tonight Im coming after you young man

feral

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh *runs away from Russ!!!*

Russ

Why! I'm no camel spider!

Okay, no one else follow that link.

I think it's greatly exaggerated though; this I got from wikipedia

"it is common belief among American soldiers stationed there that Solifugae will feed on living human flesh. The story goes that the creature will inject some anesthetizing venom into the exposed skin of its sleeping victim, then feed voraciously, leaving the victim to awaken with a gaping wound. Solifugae, however, do not produce such an anesthetic, and, like most creatures with any sort of survival instinct, they do not attack prey larger than themselves unless they feel they must, such as situations of defense or protection of young. A photograph widely circulated through e-mail shows a soldier dangling two from his hand but, because of another soldier's legs in the background, the perspective is changed from the first soldier's sleeve to the other's feet thus making the spiders appear much larger. Due to their bizarre appearance and the fact that they produce a hissing sound when they feel threatened, many people are startled or even afraid of them."

I think that site might even be a joke. They're not that big, they're not that dangerous, they exist only in the middle East .. so you can sleep well tonight and don't kill me ...

feral

We'll just have to pop round and sleep in your bed tonight then Russ....

... ha! Bet that scared the bejezus outta ya *cackles*

I am terribly afraid of worms, caterpillars, gypsy moths and any of the squirmy, crawly things with many legs. I don't know why I am so afraid of them. Oh, slugs too. I hate seeing them on the ground and the others like caterpillars and gypsy moths I worry will fall out of trees and land on me.

It's like they haunt me...sounds nuts I know.

Russ

"We'll just have to pop round and sleep in your bed tonight then Russ...."

I second the big spider fear; although in my case they don't have to be really big, a large English spider gives the heebie jeebies.

It's awful when I spot one in my bedroom. I'm too much of a wuss to catch it and put it outside, and too much of a vegan too kill it. So I just hide from it until I think it's gone away.

My fear is frogs - not toads, they're darling, but frogs -and really only one in particular: we have a giant alien frog living out behind the house in a stream bed. One night last summer he decided that he wanted to come in the house for a visit. And so he waited for me to let him in. He waited on the steps in the garage. Now I missed him when I went out to put out the recycling, but on the way back I saw him on the steps and realized that I had barely missed squishing him. I nearly fainted. I shrieked, he leaped andwe couldn't find him. We had to leave the garage door open for the night to ensure that he was gone! Stepping on him would have been so bad - he's sooooo big, and sooooo green! And so now I have to be very careful in the garage at night because I have such a fear that he may decide to come back for a visit. In the winter I feel safe, but we just saw him in the stream, so I know he's up and about and ready for spring. UGH.
    Everyone needs a little mercy.

The Null Void

Speaking of Finding Nemo, I think the things that scare me (though I don't know what they're actually like) are angler fish. Let's see if I can find a link...

Try this.

I didn't quite realize they were real.

butterflies scare me i can deal with any insect but why do butterflies think they are so cool? they just have facny wings, they are nothing special

in the same respect, i don't like lady bugs. especially those yellow ones that bite, we have an epidemic here

Geoff

This is a Granny's Cloak Moth tasting the possum's banana. They like dark places and I often have heaps of them in my bedroom.