Thread: LonelyVegan

Smile LonelyVegan

Hi, I live in Port Talbot, near Swansea, south Wales, and after 5 years here am feeling really isolated still. Are there any vegans in this area? I know about Swansea Vegans, but found them v unwelcoming when I met them, they tended to speak in welsh (I'm English) and although the room was crowded I was on me own on the sofa!

BlackCats

Default Re: LonelyVegan

I have no idea about vegans local to you but hello and welcome to VF!
    x x x

Wink Re: LonelyVegan

Thanks, Blackcats, I appreciate that, I'm not sure if I'm writing this correctly as I've never even been on a forum of any sort before. I have realised lately that I "need to get out more" (even if only via VF).

Hi Elizabeth.

Welcome from me too.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Welcome Elizabeth, nice to have you here. VF is generally the only place that I "get out to"

puca

Quote Elizabeth View Post
    but found them v unwelcoming when I met them, they tended to speak in welsh (I'm English) and although the room was crowded I was on me own on the sofa!
    This made me

I have met some taffs like this, who refuse to speak to people in English. The part of Wales I am from isn't hugely Welsh speaking and some of my mates used to talk across the table in front of us in Welsh.

It was weird.

helen105281

Hi from me too. They don't sound very welcoming at that group at all. It's not like that here, I tend to hide in the corner at meet-ups and stuff but people here bring you out of your shell. Hope you find some nice people near you too.

Hey,

It's a lovely part of the world you are from, I used to go camping in the area quite a lot.

Do you have a facebook account? You could start a Vegan group on there, it's very easy to keep updated and word spreads quickly once you get a few members.

Nice to meet you
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Hi and welcome!

Lots of us from here are on Facebook too, there's a thread somewhere giving details

Hello Elizabeth.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Hey Elizabeth, welcome to the forum. I'm a bit isolated in terms of being a vegan where I live (like a good few others on this forum), so I relate to you in that sense. I think you'll find this is a good place to interact with like-minded people.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Hi there, I'm in Swansea, about 20 mins away from you. I went to Swansea vegans a year or so back but stopped going too. How are you finding Port Talbot so far? I did an artist in residency in a school there

Sorry I just reread your message and realise you've been there for years...

Smile Re: LonelyVegan

Great to hear from so many vegans!! Port Talbot is a real dump, very much a has-been industrial area, full of alotta meaty people . I absolutely love the Black Mountains, the Brecons, that mountainous scenery is so beautiful, it kind of makes up for lack of friends. I've got 4 dogs, all rescued (never had a "new" dog), one daughter (16, not even a veggie let alone a vegan) and a husband (who is a vegan since we married).

I'm going to give Facebook a go soon, it seems to be my daughter's favourite occupation apart from tv.

Hi Elizabeth!
    I'm new to VF and forums in general to! Am testing out the Bristol Vegan end of this month as i'm struggling a little not knowing any other vegan's (or ppl for that matter) in my local area!
    Facebook is absolutely something you should try out, can be a great way of meeting ppl with similar interests and catching up with those you think you've lost touch with!

Hi Elizabeth, I am also called Elizabeth! I don't live in Wales but I just joined the forum too. I hope you are making new friends and not feeling so lonely. Best wishes.

Brokendoll1982

Hiya, I am from south wales too and find being vegan a little lonely too... I have a vegan friend in london that i've met through the internet, but not locally...

Maybe we could meet up in Cardiff or something?

Liz x

Hello Elizabeth,

I'm also Elizabeth and I live in Cardiff - not too close but at least nearer than London. I've gradually been discovering vegans around the place and trying to get them together to feed them but I haven't found a group of any sort. Maybe we should create a new one. South Wales vegans? Hmmmm.

Anyway, hello!

E

I lived in Swansea for a (very!) short while, and wasn't too impressed with the options... Cardiff was better than it used to be last time I looked though
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

There used to be a great animal rights group based in Pontypridd but with strong ties with the Cardiff group. They met regularly at the Otley pub near Glamorgan Uni and used the Uni campus as a recruitment ground (which is how I found them).

Great bunch, not super serious or judgemental at all. Went on a few marches with them and despite the seriousness of the issues we were protesting, the road trips were always a great laugh. Went to gigs with a few of them too.

But alas this is literally 10 years ago. I have no idea who is still active or how to track them down. I'm in Surrey now and lost touch with them ages ago

If I was in your area I'd totally come and chill with you!!! I'm currently trying to make some friends from this site in Vancouver BC but am having little luck.... I think I'm scaring them... lol If you're ever coming to town, let me know!!!!

Hi

Im in North Wales and dont know any vegans here either, but there must be a few because some of the cafes cater for us...

Quote Stig View Post
    How are you finding Port Talbot so far? I did an artist in residency in a school there

Smile Re: LonelyVegan

Hiya, are you still in P T, i am i cardiff get in touch if you want vegan chat.