Thread: Vegan Breakfast New York

Default Vegan Breakfast New York

Can anyone recommend a good place to have a vegan version of an American breakfast in New York?

Default Re: Vegan Breakfast New York

The city or the state?

The city. Manhattan or Brooklyn.

I like The V-Spot in Brooklyn or Cafe Blossom in Manhattan. Both are 100% vegan restaurants but I'm pretty sure The V-Spot only has breakfast on Saturday. The website supervegan.com has a really useful nyc restaurant search engine!

I just went to Curly's the other day for lunch. It was sooo good. It's vegitarian but they make anything on the menu vegan. I had the slumber jack breakfast. Pancakes, fruit, tofu scramble, fake sausage and home fries. YUM.

Scared chow is still the best I think. They just do brunch on weekends though. Tempeh hash and banana french toast... SO GOOD.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Thanks for the ideas. I lived in New York for a year and was still an omni at the time and remembered how comforting it was to have brunch on Sunday especially if I had a hangover.

I'mgoing to be in New York over Christmas and really wanted to have a vegan version of those breakfasts.
    Last edited by veganatheist78; Oct 21st, 2009 at 10:23 PM.

Where did you go in the end? Did the vegan version brunches live up to your memory?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Where did you go in the end? Did the vegan version brunches live up to your memory?
    Unfortunatley we didn't get time to go and have a vegan breakfast. We'll have to leave it until the next time we go. However, we did eat at a few of the places I wanted to go to: Candle 79, Soy and Sake, Wild Ginger and 'Snice.

I'm a big fan of desserts (as you could probably tell from my post about Mrs Marengo's rather limited selection of vegan cakes). I had a vegan cannoli at Candle 79 which was delicious. A dessert called a chocolate and penut butter bomb at Wild Ginger, which was heaven, and vegan cupcakes from S'Nice. I was in vegan heaven. It made coming back to London's far more limited choices a little depressing.

Although having said that, I think in the UK we are a lot luckier than elsewhere in Europe. London is still probably the easiest place to vegan in Europe. When I went to Brussels I ate only chips and falafel. We stayed with a friend who hosted a dinner party. One of her guests brought the cakes for dessert. The guy in the bakery looked at her as if she were mad when she asked if they had any cakes that were dairy and egg free. In London, they'll invariable say no but most likely won't think it's a bizarre question to ask!