Thread: Does anyone know anything about Lake Havasu City, Arizona?

Question Does anyone know anything about Lake Havasu City, Arizona?

i just got a job offer in lake havasu city, az (about which i'm excited ) but based on my internet searches, it appears to be a very non-vegan-friendly town that's hours away from other civilization even happycow.com doesn't list ANY health food stores or veg-friendly restaurants...*sigh*

apparently, it's a tourist destination, and one website said that most places offer vegetarian and vegan options, but i'm not sure. i guess, in the worst case scenario, i can drive to phoenix (3.5 hours away) once a month or order from veganstore.com to compensate for the lack of veg options.

what worries me more (and a lot! ) is finding vegans to socialize with. are there ANY vegans out there?? if you live there (or know of someone living there), PLEASE let me know...even knowing that there's a single vegan there would make me feel better.

also, even if you have simply been there for a vacation, i would really appreciate hearing your opinions about the overall atmosphere and what you thought of the city.

i would be immensely grateful if anyone can help with my questions!!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Default Re: Does anyone know anything about Lake Havasu City, Arizona?

I can tell you about it. It's a tourist/retiree town on Lake Havasu. The lake itself is a result of the Colorado River being dammed. I for one think it's a terrible place. Really, really hot and no real soul or personality. It's mainly a place for retired people and college kids to come and recreate. Vegans are hard to find in Arizona anyway.
    Hope this helps. If you have any more questions about lovely AZ let me know.
    pro-vegetable

thanks for your response, burl. as you mentioned, i had gotten the impression that it's a tourist spot from my search. do you happen to know if there is a health food store (i haven't been able to find one)?

also, is the city attractive in terms of parks, buildings etc? i previously lived in a very decrepid, old industrial town...everything was neglected, peeling, and falling apart, and the whole town was very depressing and gloomy. i don't want to get stuck in that kind of town again.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

It's a very new town. No trees to speak of. All the buildings are some hue of tan. I have no idea if there is a health food store per say. There might be. Lots of mini malls and the like. As you can tell I don't like the place too much so I haven't spent much time there.
    pro-vegetable

ok, thank you very much for responding to my questions! i guess i'll find out if i like it soon enough...
    ~John Wooden

I accidentally saw your questions on Google when I was looking for vegan places to eat. I'm mostly a raw vegan, but occasionally just eat vegan if I can't take any more fruits/vegetables. There are a couple health food type stores in Havasu, but there are no vegan restaurants. As far as I know, you need to go all the way to Vegas/Phoenix/LA for a vegan restaurant. But no, you wouldn't be the only vegan in Havasu!
    -Terry

yay! it's so nice to "meet" you, rawveggies! thank you very much for replying! i'll be moving there in about 10 days, and if you don't mind, i'll ask you about those health food stores when i get there...
    ~John Wooden

I spent 2 days there last winter. Brought all my food from home as I didnt find anything on HappyCow either. Stayed in a place with a kitchen so it was just like home.

I did go to a bar/restaurant that had relatively good Mexican food.. Vegas is about 1.5 hours away. LOTS of Vegans in Vegas

Keep us updated please.

hi shelly i might be making trips to vegas then! but according to google maps it's a little over 3 hours away. i'll let you know when i make a trip to vegas...
    ~John Wooden

Check Phoenix too. I know there are a few all vegan restaurants. There isn't much in Flagstaff. One maybe in Prescott and a raw vegan place in Sedona. Tucson has quite a few as well.
    pro-vegetable

lol, sorry but this post kinda made me giggle. i used to live there and yes there are health food stores..actually 4 or 5..bashes is a huge groc. store that has a lot of vegan things. yes it is a huge party seen during the summer. but its not bad.

[QUOTE=DancingWillow;619460]...it's a little over 3 hours away. ...[QUOTE]
    Not the way I fly drive I also live in the southeast part of LV, so I can quickly hop on the freeway and start flying driving

If you take 40W to 95N you bypass Kingman and the Dam.. It's a bit faster. I think the speed limit is 70.