Thread: Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet (The Times)

Post Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet (The Times)

Hi,

This story is on the front page of the print version of The Times today and has already generated over 400 comments on the online article.

gutts

Default Re: Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet (The Times)

From the comments:
    Nova Prosper wrote: I'd sooner die, and have all of my family, friends and acquaintances die, than give up meat. Lord Stern does not reflect the attitudes of right thinking patriots like me who will continue to eat meat come hell or high water.
    If he doesn't mind his family, friends and acquaintances dying then why not simply eat them when other animals become scarce or they become too expensive? Would bring a whole new meaning to the concept of family dinnertime. Tasteh.

Kevin Gulbransen wrote: You can have my Whopper when you pry it from my cold dead hands!
    This stuff is gold. Slightly worried that I haven't come across even one rational comment yet, though.

gutts

Default Re: Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet (The Times)

Interesting article.

I particularly liked this comment, it's such an apt metaphor:

I liken meat eaters to babies and meat as their dummy, try to take the dummy away from a baby before he is ready or without any preperation and he will scream the house down!

Hey, he's from my uni. Kind of disappointing he's not actually veg*n himself.

People are so tedious about meat - you tell someone you are vegan and they treat you you just declared you are a BNP supporting paedophile who likes to torture grannies of a weekend

One of the comments - If God meant us not to eat meat why did he make animals so goddam tasty - oh hold my sides for me I am about to burst...pleeeese, I'm sure NONE of us ever heard THAT one before (ye gods).
    Silent but deadly :p

I have been attending meetings of a newly emerging climate group in my town, formed after someone put on a showing of "Living in the age of stupid" [which is a few G.C.S.E. geography lessons].

The group is focussing on domestic heating bills, and using phrases like "... killing two birds with one stone.", "it all comes down to money." and "... let's line up the ducks first".

One bloke told me that he "...shot a pigeon and ate it the other day... it was a bit tough but O.K.". They had been sh*tting on his slide.

I asked if we could do anything to stimulate the desire for people to care about their environment [as opposed to saving them enough money for a sunny holiday]... they didn't really pause for a blank look.... actually, that was where the "..money.." response dropped in.

I can see how a brightness seeking vegan might gravitate away from formal local government steering committees... in dismal rooms on tired evenings.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

There has been a poll on 'Would you become a Vegetarian to halt global warming' on dailymail, would you please to VOTE FOR YES? so far, the results now is 20% for Yes, 80% for No.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0VE4uQOIg

hmmm the metro version is currently at 82% yes, 18% no

What does this say about racists daily mail readers?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

First the ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

We're mostly in the Ignore and Laugh stages right now, with people claiming they will fight ("die") over their taste buds, which is basically a Laugh because it's so absurd. They'll kill for it, but I can't see them giving up their lives for it. If they can't even give up the taste of meat, why would they ever give up their lives?
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote greeny View Post
    There has been a poll on 'Would you become a Vegetarian to halt global warming' on dailymail, would you please to VOTE FOR YES? so far, the results now is 20% for Yes, 80% for No.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0VE4uQOIg

going up now. at the moment 29% yes

This came up on a radio phone-in this morning on LBC. Unfortunately by the time I got through the show was coming to an end, so I was cut rather short.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

This was aired on the Radio 4 programme 'Any Questions' on Friday. The panellists were the shadow business secretary Kenneth Clarke, Liberal Democrat peer Baroness Shirley Williams, UKIP MEP Marta Andreasen and the former Lord Chancellor, Lord Falconer. The segment in question is at 40 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ns_30_10_2009/

I was pretty disgusted with the flippant and off handed way the panellists dealt with the issue, Kenneth Clarke and Marta Andreasen in particular.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)