Thread: Recommended blood work?

Default Recommended blood work?

Hi all! Halloween themed blood question:

I usually get my blood stats checked once a year to see if I have any deficiencies. Nothing so far, but since the tests I do seem to vary from year to year, depending on the doctor I see, I'd like to learn more about what I'm checking for, as well as what I might suggest for them to look at.

This is what I've looked at the past two years
    Järn = Iron | B = Blood | P = Plasma

B-Hb
    P-Homocystein, total
    P-Järn
    P-Kobalamin
    B-Folat, total
    P-Ferritin
    P-Tyreotropin (TSH)

B-Hb
    B-MCV
    B-MCH
    B-MCHC
    P-Järn
    P-Ferrin
    P-TIBC
    P-Kobalamin
    B-Folat, total

The list above is in Swedish, but I assume that much of it is medicine speak - correct me if I'm wrong and I'll try to translate. What else might you want to check up prophylactically in case the doc isn't too familiar with a vegan diet?

I've looked about for an medical / nutritional resource on blood tests for vegans, but haven't found one. If I've overlooked it, please let me know.

Cheers!

Default Re: Recommended blood work?

I've looked about for an medical / nutritional resource on blood tests for vegans
    Hi, and welcome!*Out of sheer curiosity, did you make such tests before you became a vegan as well? I'm asking only because most likely, the list of deficiencies to watch out is would probably be longer for non-vegans than vegans....
    Nutrient deficiencies more common in meat eaters than in vegans?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Howdy Korn, thanks for the welcome.

I didn't do blood tests while omnivore except to check for iron deficiency as a blood doner.

I recognize that one ought not to worry too much and not let others worries rub off on oneself (hi mom!) but since I showed an indicator of too much plasma iron last time around, and because I get different tests done from occasion to occasion for no particular reason other than the specific doctors knowledge of nutrition, it made me curious if there's a good "baseline" of things to check for. Plus, as mentioned, I'm interested in reading up on what the tests I have done are testing for (Wikipedia being a bit too dense as a primer)

Obviously, omnivores run risks of deficiencies as well but might not think of them being related to a dietary choice (as opposed to veganism being to blame for everything wrong with a vegan) but to me that indicates that more people should get checked out, not fewer.

Quote Bonfired View Post
    Obviously, omnivores run risks of deficiencies as well but might not think of them being related to a dietary choice
    They may not think of their deficiencies being related to their dietary choices, but that's the big mystery here. With so many deficiencies associated with a standard, non-vegan diet (I read somewhere that only 1% of the population have good levels of all the nutrients they need), it's kind of funny that most people don't seem to care, or just take a multi-vitamin, but when they go vegan, they start to worry about nutrients, as if there were more nutrients to worry about when living on a vegan diet.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Well, it's confirmation bias at work, not a big mystery there.

Another reason would be that switching to a vegan diet (or any other non-mainstream diet, really) forces you to read up on nutrition; A side effect of which is that you might not have as cavalier an attitude as previously to your body and its requirements.