Thread: Nutritional Yeast

Default Nutritional Yeast

Forgive me if that has already been discussed, but I had a quick search and couldn't find anything to answer my question...

I'm planning to do some slightly more adventurous than usual cooking this week, and have almost all my ingredients for this creamy pasta sauce from Vegan Yum Yum. However, I can't find this 'nutritional yeast' stuff anywhere! I asked in Holland & Barratt and just got blank looks

I think I may already have some in without realising (I have some of that fake parmesan topping stuff) but I'm not sure! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

BlackCats

Default Re: Nutritional Yeast

I bought mine in my local independent health food shop. I can't decide whether I like the taste or not yet though!

You could probably order it online. Nutritional Yeast Flakes

I'm not sure what the fake parmesan is made of but it might do instead.

I do think the nutritional yeast tastes slightly better though and I would think some health food shops in Manchester must have it. They may recognise the brandname, Marigold Engevita, or whatever it is, more easily than "nutritional yeast".

Unfortunately my local health store closed recently

Byt yes, I really should get down to the veggie café/shop here, or the all-vegan food store that's not too far from me - for now I'll try the 'parmesan' but I really should get off my behind and onto my bike and get some supplies in one of these days

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll look out for that brand!
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Also, thanks BlackCats - I'm trying to avoid online ordering at the moment what with the postal strikes and my aversion to delayed gratification, but I think I might put in a big order with Goodness Direct soon anyway so I'll definitely be getting some then!

The ones Blackcats mentioned (Marigold Engevita) are nice. They look like fish food flakes and taste a bit savoury / cheesy. I picked mine up from a local health food shop. Not sure if you'd find them in the Supermarket. Worth having, though. They get sprinkled on stuff fairly frequently.

gutts

Try 'yeast flakes' - that's what our local shop knows them as.

This stuff (Engevita) is so useful; 'cheesy'-type sauce, great with garlic potatoes, helps thicken gravy, sprinkle it on popcorn, even the dog gets some on his dinner and he loves it!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Hmm...I don't really think that vegan parmesan tastes like nutritional yeast (I don't think it contains it, either), though I do like it, so it might taste good in your sauce. However, I see the sauce calls for 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast...would that be pretty much an entire container of vegan parmesan? It's probably cheaper to use nutritional yeast if you can find it somewhere...

P.S. I love vegan yum yum!

Well after looking over that recipe earlier I decided it looked easy and I had the ingredients on hand so I ended up making it for dinner! I really liked it. So thanks for posting that...

No problem Mariana! I made it too, using my fake parmesan in place of the nutritional yeast, and it was yummy indeed! It was maybe a little bit too rich for my taste (I ended up adding more lemon, pepper & soy milk) but my boyfriend loved it so can't be all bad

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'm going to try a couple more health food stores and if I have no luck I'll order from Goodness Direct

This appears to be the manufacturers' or distributors' website http://www.marigoldhealthfoods.com/ Think I saw a contact e-mail address on there so you could try asking if they know your nearest stockist, fooldramaqueen - although touring the local health food shops might be quite enjoyable.

Im sure both Vegan Store & Alternative Stores sell the yeast flakes
    infact any good health food shop should stock them

lots of non vegans use them just for the health benefits too

jj

I find that Holland and Barrett aren't so good at stocking them. Smaller, local health food shops tend to be better. At least where I am!

If you are ever in Stoke, there is a shop that sells them there and they are really cheap. And yummy.

I call them fish food too!! lol
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

I love the yeast flakes

they are great for using in soups if you need a light stock, other wise I use vecon.

they are nice on a pizza but not a substitue for cheese

they are also great sprinkled on salads, baked potatoes, on top of soups etc

as long as you dont over heat the stuff its full of goodness & stays alive.
    Its also great as its inactive yeast so wont cause any yeast related issues

I always mix it with a good omega seed mix& some organic cider apple vinegar
    A couple of tablespoons per day really helps the digestion & a good source of b vits

jj

Just a heads up if you're still looking in manchester you can get Engevita at Unicorn (chorlton) and 8th day (Oxford Road).i'm addicted to it!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

I wasn't too impressed with nutritional yeast when I first tried it but the past couple of weeks I can't get enough of it. Finn (cat) loves it too, when he gets a bit too fussy about his food, I sprinkle a little bit on it and it's gone in seconds. So I hope you can track it down locally.

BlackCats

Quote AnneCE View Post
    Finn (cat) loves it too, when he gets a bit too fussy about his food, I sprinkle a little bit on it and it's gone in seconds. So I hope you can track it down locally.
    I just tested it on three of my cats and they absolutely devoured it!

Jack the dog is a fan too! He definitely prefers food with nutritional yeast mixed in. He knows what's good for him.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

BlackCats

Two more of my cats liked it as well.

(I just gave my husband a spoonful to try and he said it reminded him of something else and he finally thought of what it was... chicken skin!)

Is the £2.29 125g tub of Engevita on veganstore.co.uk a decent deal? It seems a bit high to me, but how far does 125g go?

If you're still living in Manchester I assume you're refering to Withington Health Foods that recently closed down? Unicorn in Chorlton have nutritional yeast and so to Eighth Day on the MMU campus part of Oxford Road.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Thanks again for all your help! I very rarely get to 8th Day, for a very shameful reason (it would involve stepping off the bus home after work, and at that time I just want to get home asap!) but my boyfriend's kindly volunteered to go in for me so hopefully I'll be yeasting it up in no time

Quote Piggles View Post
    Is the £2.29 125g tub of Engevita on veganstore.co.uk a decent deal? It seems a bit high to me, but how far does 125g go?
    That's what I paid on Sunday in Real Foods in Edinburgh so it seems reasonable. (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk sell it for £2.30) 125g doesn't sound a lot but it is very light so it is more than you'd think. Not sure how long it takes me to go through a tub, as I have only really got to like it, before I sprinkled a bit on stuff every now and gain and then I began putting it on everything.

Senza

Quote AnneCE View Post
    That's what I paid on Sunday in Real Foods in Edinburgh so it seems reasonable. (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk sell it for £2.30) 125g doesn't sound a lot but it is very light so it is more than you'd think. Not sure how long it takes me to go through a tub, as I have only really got to like it, before I sprinkled a bit on stuff every now and gain and then I began putting it on everything.
    On the side of the box, they say a serving is 30g but it depends on what you're using it for. I've found a tub lasts about a month of everyday use. Although i just use it for sprinkling over food...

Quote AnneCE View Post
    We pay 2.73 euro for ours, so £2.30 sounds about right.

Just wanted to add that VeganStore has it as well, for the same price:
    http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=610

Our hfs (also recently closed ) always referred to it as Engevita. I just call it little flakes of heaven.

is this the same stuff you make seitan from? has anyone ever made seitan?

No, seitan is made from vital wheat gluten - which is the sticky residue when the starch is removed from wheat. It's also used as a dough enhancer, it adds firm structure to things, which is why it can be used to make a chewy, sort of meaty texture.

Engevita is flakes of inert yeast - it looks like dried fish food! - and it adds B vitamins and a slightly cheesy/nutty flavour to things.

oh darn it! vital wheat gluten is pretty much non existant in the uk ive heard, thats why i was excited (but confused!) haha

Why is it so expensive? Does it cost a lot to make or something?

^probably the same reason as many other vegan foods are dearer; there is a smaller market for it, so they don't sell as money, so need a higher profit margin. Also, as there's no competition for it from other companies, they have nothing to compete with.

The Engivita nutritional yeast has lots of B vitamins but not B12

Im told ones int he US do have b12

Are there any in the UK that have B12?

ta
    jj