Thread: Creamy, Chunky Tomato Soup?

Eager Learner

Default Creamy, Chunky Tomato Soup?

I really miss tomato soup, especially the Creamy Tomato from Panera Bread Company restaurant. Does anybody have a recipe for a really thick, chunky, creamy tomato soup? I prefer the chunks to be tomatoes, and not other veggies.

Default Re: Creamy, Chunky Tomato Soup?

I haven't had that particular soup, but tomato soup certainly isn't something that vegans have to forego There are a few old threads you might find helpful, like this one:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12772

It's not what you want, but the bread reference in your message made me think of the Italian dish pappa al pomodoro, which is delicious - there's a recipe for that here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...up-926630.html

I hope you're successful in your quest.

RubyDuby

I saw this thread early and it gave me a craving. We're having this for dinner, with only a Tbs of earth balance and soy milk in place of cream. It's on the stove now and smells delicious... it has chunky veg in it though, but you could prob leave that out or blend those separately somehow?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Eager Learner

Quote harpy View Post
    I haven't had that particular soup, but tomato soup certainly isn't something that vegans have to forego
    It's not what you want, but the bread reference in your message made me think of the Italian dish pappa al pomodoro, which is delicious - there's a recipe for that here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...up-926630.html

I hope you're successful in your quest.
    This sounds yummy! What I used to do with my fave soup was tear up a chunk of french bread and put it all in the soup until basically there were just chunks of soup-soaked bread bits in a bowl. I will definitely try this.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I saw this thread early and it gave me a craving. We're having this for dinner, with only a Tbs of earth balance and soy milk in place of cream. It's on the stove now and smells delicious... it has chunky veg in it though, but you could prob leave that out or blend those separately somehow?
    This sounds pretty good, too. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for including the vegan alternatives. Since I'm so new at this, I don't look for regular recipes and think about substitutes. I only look for strictly vegan recipes. I'm probably limiting myself, but that's easiest for me right now...

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate the ideas!

RubyDuby

mmmmm, I should have put bread in my soup.

It turned out pretty good. Just remember to cool the soup quite a bit before adding any soy milk or it will curdle.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Eager Learner

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    It turned out pretty good. Just remember to cool the soup quite a bit before adding any soy milk or it will curdle.
    I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the heads up.