Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Faux meat

Default Faux meat

Does anyone feel as I do?

I personally feel that eating "faux meat" undermines my "vegan-ness" somehow. The thought of eating fake meat reminds me of the real "thing", which I have absolutely NO desire for. The same goes for fake cheese for me as well...
    "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it." Abraham Lincoln

leedsveg

Default Re: Faux Meat

I have absolutely no problem with it. Some tastes ok, some not, but as long as it's suitable for vegans, it's suitable for me. I'll stop eating it when they stop making it and I'll still remain a vegan.

leedsveg

^ I agree.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Of course you will still remain a vegan . This isn't a "vegan" "non-vegan" post.

Sorry.

I wonder if anyone else has these feelings. Thus, my post.
    "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it." Abraham Lincoln

RubyDuby

I don't see the connection.

My boss is vegetarian and can't stand the vegan fake meat products that I eat because they're too much like the real thing and that's "gross". The only products she will eat are the ones that don't taste as real to her, which all contain egg and milk products. She's a vegetarian because she loves animals. I find it ironic.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Yick RubyDuby!! She's vegetarian because she loves animals... Hmmm.

RubyDuby

The funny thing is she hasn't eaten meat since she was 6, so it's all in her head whether it tastes real or not. She doesn't like veggie dogs for example, bc they're "too real", and I can taste the soy in those!

I am just stating my feelings on fake meat. My personal feelings. And asking if anyone else understands these feelings or can relate to them. I'm not here to be attacked by fellow vegans.

Someone... Close this thread now? Thanks

i don't think anyone thought you were attacking them...we all have our opinions. I think there is actually a couple other threads about this topic too...

i think the fake meats actually kind of help our cause. it kinda helps show omnis that we can still enjoy the foods that we used to eat, only its cruelity free!

but to each their own!

Edit: oh wait, you thought that we are attacking you? I'm sorry, i'm only speaking for myself here but i was definately not attacking you, and everyone was just giving their own opinion just as you gave yours.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I use the 'fake' only because it's easier when dining with others.... they have their meat and salad, I have fake and salad and lessens the questions that get thrown at me. I don't eat it because it tastes like dead animal at all..

leedsveg

Quote Tallulah View Post
    Of course you will still remain a vegan . This isn't a "vegan" "non-vegan" post.
    Sorry.
    I wonder if anyone else has these feelings. Thus, my post.
    Hi Tallulah

Absolutely no offence taken. I was a veggie for 6 years, then a vegan for the last 13 years. Up to going veggie, I'd been an omni for 43 years and I quite liked the taste of fish and meat. My 'conversion' was to do with a recognition of the cruelty in an omni diet, rather than a change in my taste buds. Knowing that the 'bacon' I eat is suitable for vegans is all I need to know.

leedsveg

Not aware of anyone attacking you, why would they???
    Last edited by leedsveg; Nov 4th, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: addition

Smile Re: Faux Meat

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi Tallulah

Absolutely no offence taken. I was a veggie for 6 years, then a vegan for the last 13 years. Up to going veggie, I'd been an omni for 43 years and I quite liked the taste of fish and meat. My 'conversion' was to do with a recognition of the cruelty in an omni diet, rather than a change in my taste buds. Knowing that the 'bacon' I eat is suitable for vegans is all I need to know.

leedsveg

Not aware of anyone attacking you, why would they???
    I understand leedsveg. Thank you for clarifying. I am not "attacking" anyone. These are my feelings at the moment. They may change. I've only been vegan for a month,so I have TONS of room to grow.

RubyDuby

Quote Tallulah View Post
    I am just stating my feelings on fake meat. My personal feelings. And asking if anyone else understands these feelings or can relate to them. I'm not here to be attacked by fellow vegans.

Someone... Close this thread now? Thanks
    I don't really see how anybody attacked you, but I apologize if it seemed like I was!

You didn't RubyDuby. It's all okay.

Yeah I think everyone here can understand and respect your feelings on that. I certainly can understand it, but I personally don't have a problem eating fake meat. My problem with meat isn't that it tastes like meat, and I DO happen to still have a desire for a kind of meatiness. I ate a lot more fake meat toward the beginning of my veganism though. Now it's once in a while, but I enjoy it.

But again, ain't nothing wrong with not wanting to touch the stuff.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Matt35m: I understand. I'm thinking maybe I'm too new a vegan? Maybe that's why I have this aversion? But I don't miss meat or dairy at all, and I was addicted to both. Embarrassingly enough, I did the Atkins Diet long before I became vegan, just to lose a few pounds. :-(

I don't really think the length of veganism has much to do with it. If anything, I think people generally eat more fake meat toward the beginning of vegetarianism/veganism to wean themselves down to a point where they don't crave real meat anymore. But then again everyone's different! Perhaps you may eventually get to a point where the fake meat just doesn't remind you of anything. I don't really think about anything when I'm eating fake meat.

Either way, whatever happens happens. No need to push yourself one way or the other on it.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Maybe so. Thanks matt35mm

Well personally, I was never much of a meat or cheese eater prior to becoming a vegan. I eat tofu now but I don't make it to taste like meat cause I just don't like the flavor of meat.

There was one time though, my mom bought this tofu "steak" though I didn't know that's what it was. I just thought it was the stuff we usually fix. So I cut some up and put it on my salad. After the first bite I gagged and spit it out. The texture was SO much like the texture of meat (at least from what I could remember) that I was sickened.

So I can see why fake meats get to some vegans. And I can see why they don't bother other vegans. I think it just depends on the person really. I hate the taste of meat whether real or fake, and that's just me

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I don't really think the length of veganism has much to do with it. If anything, I think people generally eat more fake meat toward the beginning of vegetarianism/veganism to wean themselves down to a point where they don't crave real meat anymore. But then again everyone's different! Perhaps you may eventually get to a point where the fake meat just doesn't remind you of anything. I don't really think about anything when I'm eating fake meat.
    Yeah I agree. The fake meats can soften the transition. I think they're also good to show non-vegans that you can still get similar flavors as a vegan (like the Skinny Bitch cookbook which calls for a lot of fake meats, cheeses, etc.) Fake meats make veganism less daunting to some people, I think.

Its interesting how different people feel.

Personally, I don't eat much fake meat/cheese because it's expensive and I'm not that fond of them. Having said that I used a fair bit of soy milk and non-dairy spread so it really depends how far down the line you want to go.

When I was a vegetarian I ate a fair bit of Quorn because I didn't really know how to cook and it was an easy option. I found omnis often seemed to think they had won some kind of arguement when they asked why I ate this but didn't eat meat. That's a bit like saying 'how can you object to stealing but not to accepting gifts' they are both about transfer of ownership of an item.

My reason for being vegan is that I don't want to be involved in the suffering of animals, with a side order of evironmental and heath reasons. This doesn't negate the occasional slice of soy cheese. However, because of the environmental/health reasons wouldn't eat a lot of this as they tend to be highly processed items which might not be too great for a person.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

leedsveg

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I don't really think the length of veganism has much to do with it.
    Hi matt

You may well be right. Probably few if any studies done on this but it would be interesting to know how many 'converts' give up faux meats (if they ever tried them in the first place) and at what stage they do. Also how many 'converts' start, or resume eating, faux meats at a later stage.

cheers

lv
    Last edited by leedsveg; Nov 4th, 2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote missbettie View Post
    i think the fake meats actually kind of help our cause. it kinda helps show omnis that we can still enjoy the foods that we used to eat, only its cruelity free!
    Is this true though? Judging from some 'go vegan for x days' challenges I've seen online, many people seem to think that vegans subsist on highly processed substitute stuff, so fake meats might have the opposite effect in that they isolate us even further by creating the impression that we are this weird group that only eats our own separate stuff.

This is not a value judgement on anyone who uses fake meats, just a general observation that might be wrong as I don't have much first-hand experience in similar situations.

To answer the original question, I don't buy fake meats because they are not available here! I'm curious to try some products, esp. things like vegan bacon, but I sincerely don't know how I would react if they were too realistic.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi matt

You may well be right. Probably few if any studies done on this but it would be interesting to know how many 'converts' give up faux meats (if they ever tried them in the first place) and at what stage they do. Also how many 'converts' start, or resume eating, faux meats at a later stage.

cheers

lv
    Hi leedsveg, your response came up as I was writing mine. I would definitely fall into the second category. One year ago, I wouldn't want anything to do with faux meats, as I found the idea a bit disturbing, but, as stated above, I would give them a try now, if I could.

leedsveg

Hi rulska

Probably no black/white or right/wrong answers in all this. I can certainly see the arguments for and against eating faux meats. It's so terribly difficult sometimes knowing what our best actions are which will help other people 'convert'.

lv

I have a simple view of it, it contains lots of nutrition (the good ones) us vegans need, I buy it from a vegan company, nothing has died for it I have no problem with :0) happy days.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I can't see anything wrong with fake meat stuff. If it helps to encourage omni's to possibly convert then why not. Plus the fact that I can still remember what meat and fish tastes like and I did love the taste of it so have no problem when it comes to the taste, but obviously have a problem when it comes to killing for that taste. Making sense? anyhoo I know that it's not totally like meat but for those who kind of miss meat or fish it's a good alternative.

Eager Learner

I think the veggie hot dogs sound yucky, because they look like the real things and I have a memory of what they taste like.

It took me several years after becoming a vegetarian before I would touch the vegetarian hamburgers. They reminded me of regular hamburgers and I had some kind of mental thing with those. I still sometimes can't get over the kind that have the "grill marks" on them.

At the beginning of my vegetarianism, I would tell people, I don't eat animal foods, why would I want to eat something that looks just like it? What's the point? But I can see how they would be helpful for someone who is having a hard time giving up meat and wants something that looks and maybe tastes "familiar."

Prawnil

Quote Tallulah View Post
    I am just stating my feelings on fake meat. My personal feelings. And asking if anyone else understands these feelings or can relate to them.
    I do/can. I don't eat them. I did once have a veganised english breakfast which included imitation bacon rashers with rind. I found that quite obscene and stupid.
    I care about appearances to others beyond fundamental ingredients (can't stand realistic false leather etc.), but since any false-meat stuff would be something I'd be eating at home, that doesn't play much of a part. It's really because I think they're crap food. Well beyond the idea that a meal has to revolve around a stodgy, chewy, meat-like lump, I have no interest in cooking that way any more.

I love them! I usually have a few veggie sausages at the weekend, and recently I've really been enjoying those Fry's Traditional Burgers. The only thing that stops me eating them is the fact that they're overpriced and they're total junk food, so they're best consumed in moderation. Out of curiosity, do those of you who avoid them because of their similarity to meat also avoid soya milk/yogurt etc. because of their similarity with dairy products?
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but Really enjoy the 'meaty' faux meats', more to do with the texture than flavour really. I do find the meaty chompiness satisfying. I had some hot dogs for my breakfast at the weekend, served in crusty rolls, most excellent.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

has anyone tried the chinese veggie faux meat stuff? it's usually made out of either gluten or soya. You can get sate and prawn like things made from either taro (which is yuck) or the nicer one made with bean curd skins yum.

leedsveg

Quote Prawnil View Post
    It's really because I think they're crap food. Well beyond the idea that a meal has to revolve around a stodgy, chewy, meat-like lump, I have no interest in cooking that way any more.
    Plenty of diners who have eaten faux-meat in Manhattan restaurants may have trouble recognising your description. The food does not automatically have to be like that.

lv

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but Really enjoy the 'meaty' faux meats', more to do with the texture than flavour really. I do find the meaty chompiness satisfying. I had some hot dogs for my breakfast at the weekend, served in crusty rolls, most excellent.
    *gets out big gun*

I think you might like seitan then if you have never tried it. It's got that 'robust' texture and you have flavour it how you like

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    has anyone tried the chinese veggie faux meat stuff? it's usually made out of either gluten or soya. You can get sate and prawn like things made from either taro (which is yuck) or the nicer one made with bean curd skins yum.
    There is a place near me called veggieworld which is mostly vegan (90%) and totally vegetarian who carries a lot of those things. You can buy online I think, but if you are ever passing near Milton Keynes, pop in... it's great.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

BlackCats

I have no problem with mock meats and I think some are delicious.:smile:

Quote baby_vicuña View Post
    So I can see why fake meats get to some vegans. And I can see why they don't bother other vegans. I think it just depends on the person really.
    I agree.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    *gets out big gun*
    That's not very vegan of you!

Prawnil

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Plenty of diners who have eaten faux-meat in Manhattan restaurants may have trouble recognising your description.
    Point not taken at all. Manhattan restaurants??
    The food does not automatically have to be like that.
    No. I don't bother with foods that are, though.

cobweb

Quote Jiffy View Post

i love them too, very satisfying to eat .

i was brought up on a high-meat diet and i loved the taste and texture of meat - it was only in my teenaged years when i found out what really happens to animals that i felt i couldn't continue the hypocrisy of loving them and eating them! .

i wish i liked the traditional stereotypical vegan foods more - lentils, pulses, etc, but i have to be honest and say that i really, really, enjoy fake 'meat' and 'cheese'.
    however, when i was first vegan they weren't really around, so i know i could survive without them .

I totally agree. If i wanted to eat meat I would. I don't buy processed meat substitutes because I don't want meat in my diet. I don't miss it a know I don't need it.
    I find it interesting how many vegans eat a ton of that crap. It's so expensive and processed. What's the point?
    Be an herbivore not a fauxmeatavore.
    pro-vegetable

I don't mind the faux meats. They are kinda pricey, so I buy them in small amounts. I like mixing up my diet with them, and they provide a good amount of added protein. I normally stick to Vegan Veggie Burgers, Vegan Meatballs, and I tried Vegan Chicken Patties one time. Oh, and Ive tried Boca Crumbles, which would be like Vegan ground beef. I wasn't to fond of them. Id have to say that the meatballs are my fave, I make a meat sauce out of them for pasta, and I make meatball sandwiches with melted soy mozzerella on top. Very Yummy!

I remember when I was 1 month into being Vegan I was sceptical about faux meats and cheese, because I didn't think I would like the way they tasted. But, your tastebuds adapt and after time they taste normal to you. As does tofu and soy milk. I love Silk Chocolate Milk, now, but at the beginning I thought it was awful!

I still have not tried seitan, and tempeh. But, I think I am going to make a Tofurky for Thanksgiving this year. My husband and I travel to a relatives house and I need to prepare and bring our food. It should be interesting. Has anyone had this before?

RubyDuby

Quote burl View Post
    What's the point?
    Be an herbivore not a fauxmeatavore.
    because some of us enjoy them... and we are still herbivores.

It's not like I only eat Boca and Gardenburger products. I have a veggie patty 3 or 4 times per week for lunch (whenever I bring lunch to work). A couple of times a month we'll have mock duck, or veggie dogs or veggie deli slices, or something similar, as a part of our dinner... along with vegetables and grains. I doubt anybody only eats "fake meat" or has it for the majority of their diet, but even if they do, if they don't eat or use animal products they're still vegan.

eta: I'm not implying anybody said they wouldn't be vegan. I just mean there's nothing morally wrong with eating those products, so what's the big deal if some of us do?
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Nov 5th, 2009 at 03:13 AM.

Quote MyInnerHippie View Post
    But, I think I am going to make a Tofurky for Thanksgiving this year. My husband and I travel to a relatives house and I need to prepare and bring our food. It should be interesting. Has anyone had this before?
    My husband and I love Tofurkey. I always make one for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and usually one or two other times a year. We don't care for the stuffing inside it though (and there isn't very much) so I always make one or two pans of my own stuffing on the side. Stuffing is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish anyway. Another thing, we think the tofurkey tastes even better reheated the next day. So if you are preparing it ahead of time to bring w/ you it should be even better.

I don't use as much faux meat as I used to but do enjoy it now and then. Some of the things like breakfast sausage patties and links I never even had pre-vegan so it isn't like I'm trying to recapture a taste I miss. It's just what I enjoy now and then.

RubyDuby

^I feel the same way about vegenaise. I hated mayo!

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    *gets out big gun*

I think you might like seitan then if you have never tried it. It's got that 'robust' texture and you have flavour it how you like

There is a place near me called veggieworld which is mostly vegan (90%) and totally vegetarian who carries a lot of those things. You can buy online I think, but if you are ever passing near Milton Keynes, pop in... it's great.

OMG, thank you, thank you I was trying so hard today trying to think what that place was called that sells those veggie stuff. Hooray am going to do some online shopping me thinks.

leedsveg

Quote Prawnil View Post
    Point not taken at all. Manhattan restaurants??
    No. I don't bother with foods that are, though.
    I quoted Manhattan restaurants because Manhattan-NYC probably has more celebrated faux-meat restaurants than any other city in the Western Hemisphere.

Can I ask, Prawnil, if in your opinion, all faux-meat is per se crap food, or can it form part of a delicious, vegan meal?

leedsveg

I prefer naturally-occurring stuff on the whole, but fake meat can be good for a change, especially if nicely prepared in a Chinese restaurant etc.

I don't think any omnivores are influenced either way when I eat it, but some people are probably more influential than what I am

Prawnil

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Can I ask, Prawnil, if in your opinion, all faux-meat is per se crap food, or can it form part of a delicious, vegan meal?
    It's really because I think they're crap food.
    (Yes, crap & no, they don't play a delicious part of my vegan meals)

Mahk

I like fox meat, um ,erm, I mean faux meat. My favorite is seitan.

I agree. I feel no reason to eat something that's imitating something that's wrong. Its almost as if by eating faux meat, to me, is like saying that there is a reason to eat meat and that's why it's recreated. And i don't want to eat something that is meant to taste like a dead animal.
    ...stained glass, electric and condemning behind the dress-up saints preaching...

Mahk

I personally don't think "meat is wrong"; killing animals is wrong. When they successfully start making laboratory meat, which seems soon, I have no problem with people who call themselves vegan choosing to eat it. I'm not sure if I will but that's not in any way because I think it is "unethical", it's not, but rather because I just don't have a taste for it.

BlackCats

I wouldn't say that seitan was mock meat. I thought people were discussing the mock meats that resemble meat like the bacon example that Prawnil described, I don't know why they have to put the "rind" on it either actually. When I eat something like a veggie burger or a veggie sausage I don't think it looks like meat because animals aren't born cut up into burger or sausage shapes. I eat prawn cocktail flavoured crisps too but I have no idea if they actually taste like a prawn.