Thread: Edamame?

Windfall

Default Edamame?

Does anyone know where I can find edamame in pods in London?

I'm addicted to the ones in Wagamama...

Default Re: Edamame?

Quote Windfall View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find edamame in pods in London?

I'm addicted to the ones in Wagamama...
    Chinatown!

That's odd... I was about to post the exact same question 0.o
    Spooky stuff!

~xx

Does anyone know where I can find good quality edamame in the US? The only edamame I've seen is poor quality frozen edamame from Taiwan and even more atrocious edamame from the Republic of China. Having grown my own, I think I understand what good edamame should taste like. And it freezes very well. The edamame I prepared from my frozen edamame, tasted exactly the same as the edamame I cooked from fresh. So it isn't the freezing process that makes the Taiwanese and mainland China edamame just ghastly. It must be inferior growing methods or inferior cultivars, or failure to freeze within a proper time period after picking. I'd guess that probably exporters in mainland China and Taiwan are exporting the poor quality edamame to the US, that the Chinese won't eat themselves, and that the Japanese will refuse to buy. They figure we don't know any better.

I read that a good deal of the edamame that is sold in Japan, is grown in Australia, and that it is high quality, for the Japanes market. But I've never tasted Australian edamame.
    Soil to soil.

RubyDuby

sounds like you'd be better off growing your own!

I don't know what I'm missing so am fine with the frozen stuff, although I get mine store brand and we grow a lot of soy beans around here so maybe they're more local? I'll have to ck the bag next time I'm out.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    sounds like you'd be better off growing your own!

I don't know what I'm missing so am fine with the frozen stuff, although I get mine store brand and we grow a lot of soy beans around here so maybe they're more local? I'll have to ck the bag next time I'm out.
    I doubt that a "store brand" is local. I am familiar with many areas of upstate NY. The way to get local is to buy them at local farmers market or roadside farmstands. There is no practical way for me to grow edamame using vegan and sustainable-ag methods without at least a 1/4 acre of land or so. A winter's supply of frozen edamame for 2 people, at a handful or 2 a day, requires maybe about 600 square feet for planting and 300 square feet for cover crops, and compost. Plus a few hundred square feet for storing tools and equipment.
    Soil to soil.

RubyDuby

you're right. I actually have a bag in the fridge. Product of China.

The rest of their frozen veg are from the US. wtf??
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

A number of years ago there I saw edamame from Seapoint farms that was grown in the US. But for the last 5 years or so all of it I've seen comes from China (Republic of China) - where there is a degree of corruption and an attitude of ignoring or flouting regulations, that I think must be worse than that in the US or Taiwan.
    Soil to soil.

I used to buy them sometimes in Yo Sushi! in Oxford, they're a chain, I'm not sure if they're in London as well