Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which companies to boycott and why?

Default Re: Which companies to boycott and why?

Well done feline - I am glad you are brave enough to do that. Activism isn't "my style", but anyone who does it tastefully is to be admired.

Quote feline01
    The family that protests together...can maybe make a difference???
    Good stuff feline and co. I'm sure your family will make a great impression on people and good luck to you all.
    A bit rattled

Quote Banana
    Well done feline - I am glad you are brave enough to do that. Activism isn't "my style", but anyone who does it tastefully is to be admired.
    I used to think that until I participated in a series of guerrilla plays protesting the WTO before seattle. What a blast! To think so much fun is to be had working for all that is good. We put on the plays in the malls and had the fun of encorporating the nice, yet forceful security people into the plays as they herded us out.

ahh, the memories...

"www.boycotttesco.com have some interesting info on Radio Frequency IDentification."

I`m not sure I see the problem with this. That website seems to have taken a usefull technology out of context with attempt to alarm people. Almost all shops will tag items, so if they leave the store without being de-activated (IE someone is trying to steel the item) the chips will set off the alarms at the doors.

The intention of such devices are not usually to "spy on" customers, but in the long term they could be used to remove the need for checkouts. If every item you buy has a tag then as you pass out of the shop, all the items in your bag will be scanned and the total cost can be paid for automatically by card. Certainly would speed up the shopping process!

The way most shops spy on customers is via the use of clubcards - every time you use your clubcard everything you have bought is recorded electronically and added to a database. This is how tesco and others allocate you offers depending on what you buy.

Ben.

We're back from our first family protest and it was great. Beautiful, sunny spring day. My husband made a great sign for our table and for the stroller and we taped some of the anti Proctor & Gamble literature onto the stroller. We gave away everything we had including flyers on Tofu: What is it and What to Do with IT? and a great veggy starter kit with graphic images and descriptions of factory farming. Different ages took the material from about 12 to 60. I would definitely table again. Several people even offered to give us money but we told them to mail it directly to the group's office, we weren't soliciting donations. Even Darth Vadar took a Cruelty-Free shopping guide, seriously, there was someone outside dressed like Darth Vadar and Chris approached him with the shopping guide telling Darth that he has a reputation for being cruel but maybe he'd like to change. He took the guide and was reading it .

I'll post a link to some photos as soon as they are downloaded.

Good work, Feline!! It's great that you're a family doing this. People are probably impressed seeing VEGAN toddlers.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I'm too shy to leaflet, unfortunately, but I have several copies of Peacable Kingdom, Meet your Meat and the Witness which I lend out freely to friends and anyone interested.

Quote kriz
    I'm too shy to leaflet
    I wouldn't say I'm shy as much as self-conscious (about my weight) but I guess I had a higher-calling . Seriously, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Some people gave us evil stares, some gave us the NYC look which is pretending we don't exist but many others either smiled or stopped to talk. Of course, I was stumbling over my words because I really didn't know what to say, didn't prepare enough, but it really went well.

Great job Feline!! I can only hope to have a family like that someday. Its so wonderful to see the shared passion. I'm working hard to become involved here in my small community. Myself and a couple other students have put together a farmers market that focuses on substainable living and that will be happening on the 24th. Wish me luck this is my first time out in public promoting vegan views! I'm excited!
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Mozbee

Good luck Happiness, it's not as scary as you think. Let us know how it goes.

Yes, loads of luck, Happiness.
    A bit rattled

Great news Feline, that it all went so well!

Good luck too, Happiness!

Quote feline01
    I'll post a link to some photos as soon as they are downloaded.
    Well done feline and family. Looking forward to the photos.
    A bit rattled

Mozbee

Quote feline01
    Me, VeganMan and the vegan twins will be doing our first leafletting (against Proctor & Gamble) at our local, huge supermarket on May 21st. We will be handing out pamphlets on why Proctor & Gamble are so horrible and also providing Cruelty Free Shopping Guides. I'm nervous and excited, I never leafletted before, none of us have. The family that protests together...can maybe make a difference???
    Stick together and let them know they can't pull the cotton over our eyes! What a great Vegan Team

Mozbee

Thumbs down Re: Which companies to boycott and why?

This is what P&G are trying to sell to Jo Public at present.IAMS
    They sent me a letter, mentioning "enhanced" enclosures - very dodgy me thinks!

Default Unilever

Just been reading a boycotts list, unilever was a company cited. I found this on there website...

Oh and by the way, Unilever incorporates the following brands: Axe, Flora, Bertolli, Cif, Comfort, Domestos, Dove, Hellmans, Walls, Findus, Birdseye, Lipton, Lux, Signal, Slim-fast, Sunsilk and surf.

Reducing animal testing
    It has been Unilever policy to reduce, refine and replace animal testing by substituting alternative methods for over 20 years. The vast majority of Unilever products have in the past and will in the future reach the consumer without any testing of any material on animals.

Alternatives to animal testing
    Unilever is heavily involved in assessing new methods for health and safety testing. To this end we support a vigorous programme seeking suitable non-animal alternatives. Over 100 papers have been published in the last five years in the peer-reviewed scientific literature so that our progress can be seen and others may benefit from our work. Unilever collaborates with other companies and plays a leading role with trade associations and government bodies seeking to develop alternatives testing methods.

Being accountable
    Until such time as we can be sure that human and environmental safety will not be prejudiced, Unilever will have to do a minimum amount of animal testing. However, we will be a vigorous driver for developing and applying alternative methods. A consequence of our policy is that we are always prepared to explain our position, concerns and approach. Thus by being open we are able to serve the cause of minimising and finally eliminating animal testing.

How many people here boycott all of these brands? What do you think of their animal rights policy?

Glen
    Last edited by Glen; May 22nd, 2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default Re: Unilever

Uh oh I bought a bag of Birdseye frozen peas the other day! Never again. I don't buy stuff from any of those other subsidiaries. Before I went vegan I think I bought pasta sauces and stuff from Bertolli, if that's the company I'm thinking of. Cheers for the list though Glen, it's handy to have.

I don't believe a word of their animal welfare policy. They're just another corporation trying to gloss over their crimes, just as the public is starting to become aware of the senselesness of vivisecion.

Quote Happiness
    Great job Feline!! I can only hope to have a family like that someday. Its so wonderful to see the shared passion. I'm working hard to become involved here in my small community. Myself and a couple other students have put together a farmers market that focuses on substainable living and that will be happening on the 24th. Wish me luck this is my first time out in public promoting vegan views! I'm excited!
    Good luck Happiness, farmer's market are becoming more and more popular so hopefully, you'll really get some attention!!

tails4wagging

Full marks for them for at least trying to find alternatives, until they do, I will continue to boycott Unilever.

dont they also own iams pet food? i boycott that too!

Mozbee

On the subject of boycotts I feel like boycotting most Canadian & Australian companies for the kangaroos and seals sakes.
    What does everyone else here think?

Having done ethics in my Business A-level and having general common sense (lol), I would imagine that Unilever's attempts and research into cruelty-free testing are only happening so they can be seen to be doing the wrong thing. I highly doubt the directors care much about anything but profit; as with many businesses. I will start boycotting unilever from now on.

Not sure if Iams are owned by Unilever, but we don't buy Iams anyway.

Glen x

Cedar, I'm pretty sure that Iams are owned by Proctor and Gamble. But keep boycotting because P & G are a very unethical company, as we know all to well!!

Well, it's good that Unilever are minimalising their animal testing! Unfortunately though, they are still conducting some such testing, and I feel that we should continue to boycott their products until such time as the animal testing is completely 100% eliminated!

I am an Australian living in Canada so that would be a bit hard for me.

Mozbee

Yes, I only asked Roxy as this was my gut reaction. I found out c/o Viva! & Respect4Animals, I was horrified. Trouble is most countries are up to some form of abuse.

It's all so sad.

Although I'm from the UK, I can't stand the advertising slant of 'Best Of British' which is pushed at us, but then atleast there's less travel pollution!

Mozbee

I had a look at some of the links and signed some petions and E cards.

I make sure everything I buy is cruelty free. The problem is I get help cleaning my flat as I am disabled and some really dodgy stuff keeps apearing in my place dispite the fact there is perfectly good envirenment and animal freindly cleaning products of my own. I'll just have to try and get dad to shop at co op for cleaning products as according to BUAV the stuff they sell is ok and it's better then what apears at the moment. (Dad doesn't do the cleaning but has this idea my cleaner won't be happy using the stuff I buy).

I'd like to be more active in demonstrating but I would need a guide interpreter for that. Don't think the social services would be too pleased if I asked them if I could have a guide interpreter to help me break into a research laboritory so I can rescue some of their critters.

Mozbee

dreama the cleaner is in your flat, cleaning your things. Why shouldn't you let them know that you don't want them to use certain nasty products! If they don't like it, could you request a change of human cleaner.

Mozbee

Mozbee: I'm sure my cleaner wouldn't mind using whatever I provide her with. She's not the problem. My dad is. It took me ages to perswade him not to keep giving Jilli Eucanuba every time I visited him.

Mozbee

Oh no! dreama doesn't he know about Proctor and how they Gamble with animals lives?

Latest news is they've slackened off on the cats & dogs - instead they're dangling mice by their tails for long periods to see how it affects the muscles in their hind legs! If you've not got any anti-P&G info check out here or perhaps even here!

Mozbee

Good luck!

Part of my job involves sitting in an IMAX theatre with an audience while the films are running. Yesterday during the trailers I saw the new Coca-Cola ad. Has anyone else seen it? Where the annoying-as-f*ck guy goes around hugging people and leaving bottles of coke outside their doors. I just hate it when companies produce these happy, exuberant ads for products that are dripping with evil. Fairy Liquid is another culprit ("Just how smooth can my hands feel after washing the dishes")

Pilaf

Almost as annoying as those Burger King ads with the guy in the ridiculous King costume going to people's houses to share greasy bacon and egg biscuits with them.

I haven't seen a McDonalds ad in a while. Perhaps they're keeping a lower profile since McLibel has been in the news over here. I've been watching hardly any TV though - except for some David Attenborough DVDs which are thankfully uncontaminated by Ronald McDonald. I wish David Attenborough was vegan Imagine him discussing the benefits of a plant-based diet with that voice of his.

Mozbee

McPukenalds are still pushing their sugar drenched salads etc!

Here's a list of companies that do and don't test on animals (from PETA's site):

http://www.caringconsumer.com/searchcompany.asp

Here's a photo of the kids at their first leafletting:

http://www.vegantwins.com/images/Bab...5-05-21-24.JPG

spo

Oh, feline -- how utterly adorable!! Don't stop me--I'm gonna say it:
    AWWW!!
    That photo really makes my day! Thanks for posting it.
    spo

Mozbee

& long may they continue their great work feline01 & veganman - FABULOUS!

They are lovely feline and veganman

Quote Aurora
    They are lovely feline and veganman
    Thanks!

By the way, what about Starbucks?

I'm sure there are many more reasons than mine, but mine's pretty good:

On 9/11/2001 at the starbucks near The Towers, some rescue workers came in asking for water to help victims. The clerk said they had to pay for it and made them wait while they rang it up!

I could see them billing their station for it, but how could they possibly make them wait?

My lovely wife emailed them about it and their response was absolute bull!!!

spo

Quote VeganMan
    On 9/11/2001 at the starbucks near The Towers, some rescue workers came in asking for water to help victims. The clerk said they had to pay for it and made them wait while they rang it up!
    How utterly disgusting! Thankfully, I never give that trash establishment any business! Typical capitalist corporate garbage.

BTW, love the twins' picture, as I said; but what is that cute cat figure sitting next to them? -- a Feline totem, perhaps?
    spo

Quote spo
    BTW, love the twins' picture, as I said; but what is that cute cat figure sitting next to them? -- a Feline totem, perhaps?
    spo
    Yes, I saw this fat calico at a store and had to buy it, the resemblance is quite good .

OK, back to Starbucks. I emailed Starbucks to complain about them selling water to emergency services on 9/11 and I got a response from the CEO which basically said that they apologized to that particular ambulance company and they reimbursed them. Awwww, how nice (NOT!)

Mozbee

Some humans just don't know when rules MUST be broken do they (-charging for water in life or death situations!)

Feline, just looking at your little "activist twins" made my day! You're a beautiful family.

Quote feline01
    Here's a photo of the kids at their first leafletting:
    Beautiful picture, feline!
    A bit rattled

Another reason to boycott Starbucks, they are one of the many businesses who have given nursing moms problems. So lactivists are striking back, here's the article. .

I would have been very upset if I was asked to breastfeed in a toilet . I breastfed up to last month, when they were a bit over a year old. It's natural and it's not like these women are tossing their breasts around for all to gape at.

hi...this is all very overwhelming..i just turned vegan about 3-4 weeks ago and it is very hard being around my friends and family who refuse to hear the truth and stop eating their chicken and steak and ribs..etc...and almost all the products on PETA's list of companies that DO test on animals is in my bathroom or kitchen cabinets already..Proctor and Gamble and Gillette---damn them! Seems they make everything..any advice for me on how to deal with people's reactions?-mostly negative or ignorant and jokie...the whole cruelty free living seems futile in this wasteful, ignorant, self-centered, selfish, just plain stupid, greedy society we live in! How do you guys cope on a daily basis when it is all around you and it seems that there will always be senseless suffering, abuse, neglect, torture and slow painful deaths for animals? I cannot comprehend the world we have created and I hope God gives people their due when the time comes and I PRAY he takes these animals immediately to HIM once they finally do die after a hellish, nightmarish life and death. I feel really great about not eating animals, but the people around me just don't want to get it. I wonder if we started factory farms of little babies and kids because their flesh was just too tasty to resist, how people would feel?

There are so many products that are tested on animals and some are still in my house. But as they run out I replace them with cruelty free products like "Tom's of Maine", "Seventh Generation". The PETA list also shows companies that do not test on animals so be sure to check that as well. There are a few companies that I've started to buy from including lush.com and kissmyface.com.
    The "dealing with people" issue has been difficult for me as well. I haven't had anyone make fun of me...yet. But it is so sad to see people that I love continue to live that way. To be honest, it has made me question my relationship with them. After all, if I knew they were abusing children or stealing...would I be involved with them? The answer of course, is "no". So how do I justify them doing an action that you know is wrong? That's where I run into trouble in my own mind.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Vegan Esquire

Thank you all for posting this information and the links to such great sites. I am so grateful for this forum because you all motivate me when I feel overwhelmed by all the cruelty and injustice.

cross barer

Quote ninapr
    How do you guys cope on a daily basis when it is all around you and it seems that there will always be senseless suffering, abuse, neglect, torture and slow painful deaths for animals?
    In order to deal with feeling overwhelmed, it is important to focus on what you are doing rather than what others are not doing. Also being around other vegans helps alot too. Join a social group or activist organisation!

Quote ninapr
    I wonder if we started factory farms of little babies and kids because their flesh was just too tasty to resist, how people would feel?
    Ahh, don't forget "thou shalt not kill"

Quote tails4wagging
    Shopping can be a nightmare out there. Takes me twice as long to do any shopping as I am constantly reading the labels.

When I get the chance, I stick stickers that says 'This product was tested on animals' on various items in shops.
    Thats a great idea! Have you got any stickers, or did you make them yourself?
    "LESS IS MORE, STAY PURE STAY POOR"