Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which companies to boycott and why?

Mozbee

Default Re: Which companies to boycott and why?

I think it's PeTA that has those stickers Anti flag. (Not that I'd know about that kind of thing )

They also have stickers which you can place on packaged chicken in the meat departments. They look like a yellow warning label and read "WARNING! This package contains the decomposing corpse of a small, tortured bird."

Default Boycott List

I have given a link below that highlights a list of products to boycott. Also included are various other entities that are potential targets for boycotts. Some products/entities blacklisted for animal cruelty are Adidas, Air France, Air India, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Sabena, british heart foundation, Colgate pamolive, Ribena, Lucozade, Aquafresh, Beechams, Macleans, Solphadeine, Nicorette, Nightnurse, Horlicks, Contac and Tums, L'Oreal etc

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boyco...cotts_list.htm

I fully agree with the product boycott list that is attributed to animal testing and cruelty. However, please note that I DO NOT subscribe or show interest towards many other entities, because I don't have the full information about them. Each forumer has the right to have their own opinion in this regard.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

vegandolly

Default Re: Boycott List

Vegan dolly, i was ranting about coke hon the forum earlier, have you haerd the David Rovicks song; ' Coke is the drink of the death squads.'

Nestle have to go on this boycott list, they stink.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    What did Nestle do? Have they been naughty with animals? .. B**tards!!

This explains

www.babymilkaction.org

Hope the link works...
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Thanks Cat.. That explains everything!! Ta.

vegandolly

Quote catmogg
    Vegan dolly, i was ranting about coke hon the forum earlier, have you haerd the David Rovicks song; ' Coke is the drink of the death squads.'

I havent heard that song but I would like to

__ __ __ __

Everyone needs to check out:
    www.responsibleshopper.org

Very informative website!
    Just choose a corporation and they give you a lot of the dirt, and inform you of the companies and brands they own.

& I would say, above all... boycott Johnson&Johnson, and Procter & Gamble!!
    These are vile corporations, that own A LOT of companies and name brands(like Gillette! meaning Duracell batteries!), no one would ever think to connect buying batteries with supporting animal experimentations in labs.
    So awful : (

cross barer

I can't find any mention of Gillette in relation to P&G or J&J

__ __ __ __

oops.. maybe they are seperate now?
    damn...

Mozbee

Quote adam antichrist
    I can't find any mention of Gillette in relation to P&G or J&J
    Maybe Responsible Shopper hasn't been updated!

Kevster

Yeah i think Gilette has recently been taken over by P & G, Thomas Cook if it hasn't already been mentioned.

From Le Guardian

'P&G chief executive AG Lafley has been reshaping the company over the past few years in order to increase its exposure to faster growing markets - most notably through the €6.5bn (£4.5bn) acquisition of haircare firm Wella in 2003 and the $57bn takeover of Gillette this year.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...540777,00.html

Kevster

Little Nestle update, i think it's pretty bad that they've been certified by the Fair Trade Foundation, this one product might be fair trade but just look at what the company does to the rest of the market. Nestle helps to create situations of exploitation, and in this case is just exploiting people who have some ethics, though, for that matter people that buy Nestle products aren't particularly ethically sound anyway in my opinion.

The fairtrade foundation feels that this move will put pressure on the other large corporations that control the coffee market (oligopoly here) so that they might announce their own little fairtrade initiative, what a load of rubbish. Sure it'll help some people, but again it'll no doubt help decrease some of the pressure on Nestle, we are probably going to be hearing a lot about the new all singing all dancing initiative. Also reminds me of the welfarist approach to animal rights, this gradual change is not really that useful. The benefits are small, and in the meantime many will continue to suffer. A small step in the right direction? Or does it just prolong the Corporations ability to control the market?

'Nestlé defies boycotters and 'ethical shoppers' by launching its own Fair Trade coffee brand
    By Martin Hickman
    Published: 07 October 2005

Britain's most boycotted company, Nestlé, will attempt to claim the moral high ground today in the battle for "ethical shopping" by becoming the first multi-national to launch a Fair-Trade coffee.
    [...]

But despite Nestlé's adoption of Fair Trade - which will be backed by a £1m advertising campaign - the company will still buy almost all of its coffee at the prevailing, low world price. [...]

Nestlé acknowledged there were strong commercial reasons driving its entry into the Fair Trade market, which has expanded from three products in 1994 to more than 1,000 now. Sales are growing at about 40 per cent a year.
    [...]'

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle317799.ece

Pottery Barn for lying and saying some of their product come from Italy when they come from a sweatshop in India.

Wal-Mart is an unrepentant and recidivist violator of employee rights, drawing repeated convictions, fines, and the ire of judges from coast to coast. Workers' compensation laws, child-labor laws (1,400 violations in Maine alone), surveillance of employees--you name it, this corporation is a repeat offender. NLC interviewed workers in China's Guangdong Province who toil in factories making popular action figures, dolls and other toys sold at Wal-Mart. NLC describes: 13- to 16-hour days molding, assembling, and spray-painting toys--8 a.m. to 9 p.m. or even midnight, seven days a week, with 20-hour shifts in peak season. Even though China's minimum wage is 31 cents an hour--which doesn't begin to cover a person's basic subsistence-level needs--these production workers are paid 13 cents an hour.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

LittleNellColumbia

Im not too familiar with the website about the shopping, but i do try to boycott coca-cola brand. Ill research a tad more tomorro in the daylight

Nestle
    Proctor and Gamble
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Coca Cola
    Pepsi
    Cadburys
    Green and Blacks
    Coors
    Nike
    Adidas
    Pretty much all sports shops really..
    Gap

I also try and avoid cheap clothes shops because I think they're linked to sweat shops i.e Primark, Asda etc.
    I'm sure there's more..!

sugarmouse

can anyone tell me what supermarkets and other food shops are less than ethical.im not clued up on that.
    thanks
    jen x

Quote Troutina
    Green and Blacks
    ...!
    Why Green and Blacks??

Quote twinkle
    Why Green and Blacks??

me too! - whats up with them apart from their takeover?

They may have been taken over, but the board has remained the same. They are still a stand alone company, which hopefully will mean that their own ethical policies will remain the same.
    I fear in time though, that that will change, as is common with takeovers.

Quote Troutina
    Nestle
    Proctor and Gamble
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Coca Cola
    Pepsi
    Cadburys
    Green and Blacks
    Coors
    Nike
    Adidas
    Pretty much all sports shops really..
    Gap

I also try and avoid cheap clothes shops because I think they're linked to sweat shops i.e Primark, Asda etc.
    I'm sure there's more..!
    With regards to Gap, I thought they were now monitoring their factories to ensure fair labour practices. I'm pretty sure I saw this at the end of "The Corporation".

Kevster

All the supermarkets have poor records on ethics. Some are slightly better than others, perhaps the co-op.

Aspartame has probably been written about, found in coca cola for one, and a known carcinogen. Plus they're very busy testing this chemical on as many animals as they can possibly lay their hands on.

http://www.newstarget.com/009807.html
    http://www.immunesupport.com/library.../1/T/CFIDS_FM/

That's apart from Coca Colas human rights record in their production plants across the world.

The sell out of Green and Craps to Cadbury is also worthy of a boycott in preference of chocolate from ethical companies such as Cocoa Tree, Montezumas. Green and Blacks no longer exists, it is now the ethical and acceptable arm of Cadbury. Whilst the majority of cocoa bought by Cadbury is at exploiitation prices. It is inconsistent and appalling that a company can recognise the profit in an ethical company, bolt it on to their own, and continue to buy cocoa off the market at prices where people are exploited. (This is besides the rather large amount of cow milk that Cadbury use which in itself is worthy of protest).

Kevster

Quote Roxy
    With regards to Gap, I thought they were now monitoring their factories to ensure fair labour practices. I'm pretty sure I saw this at the end of "The Corporation".
    Rox, their ideas of monitoring probably means one announced visit per year. Any improvement in conditions will be from awful to marginally better than awful, if it weren't i reckon they'd be screaming from the rooftops about how wonderful they were, and how well treated all there employees are.

Thanks Kevster.

I gave up Green and Blacks because they got bought out by Cadburys.
    Cadburys is in partnership with Schweppes, which is owned by Coca Cola, so every time you buy Green and Blacks you're giving Coca Cola money.
    Sounds complicated but I don't think it is!
    And with Gap- I did hear that they had been given the kick up the arse they needed, but I still don't think I could ever buy anything there- I haven't shopped there for years and years. Ever since I studied it as part of GCSE English exams.
    Plus it's pretty expensive!

Talking Re: Which companies to boycott and why?

Quote Trendygirl

Almost all coffee houses for not paying the growers of their coffee a fair price!
    its the certain product (namely non-fair trade and decaffinated ((non-organic)) coffee), not the actually coffee houses that you should boycott!

at my coffee shop we serve 2/3 fair trade coffee!

and the only reason its not 100% is cause some people are turned off by it (the whole being scared of what you dont know)
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I've quite a few companies on my boycott list. Some don't sell any vegan products anyway, some sell many. I don't beleive it's practical to boycott some companies which sell tens of thousands of products (such as supermarkets) of which I have a problem with a handful that i'd never buy anyway. This list isn't comprehensive, you can assume the usual suspects (McD, KFC etc) are there already

Proctor and Gamble, Glaxo/Smithkline/Beecham, Unilever - vivisection
    Gap, Nestle, Nike and most sports companies - HR abuses

I've also been boycotting Hovis (and their subsideries like Easy Organic) for 7 years since I heard about Rank's links with the arms trade. However I can no longer find any info about it online, I heard originally from quite a respectable source, but am thinking of removing it from my list.

There's some companies which I actively don't boycott their vegan products, because they've made significant advances in the right direction in recent years and will only stop doing so if people boycott them. Green and blacks is on this list, despite being bought by Cadbury they've still carried on their same ethics.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Outdoor World-They sell hunting equipment.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Isn't it ironic that the biggest corporations, with the biggest profits, are able to donate substantial money to ethical projects/organisations etc. Just look at 'coca-cola' who donated in excess of 1million dollars to the recent american disasters! This is just 'PR' on a multi-billion dollar corporate scale. It disgusts me to be honest! Off-setting share holder profits with individual lives for the sake of immediate PR and future revenue! What is the world coming too?

We now buy ALL our toiletries and household goods from the co-op (co-op own brand) they sell everything you could possibly need. We have a big co-op a few miles away in Peacehaven and a small local one in our home town Seaford. All their own brand products are BUAV approved and they even have BUAV approved dental floss etc, toilet cleaner, washing up liquid, face cream, bubble bath etc etc.
    They are really cheap as well so we are not breaking the bank all the time.
    We have now boycotted Asda due to their Walmart connections.
    Silent but deadly :p

BUAV - becareful as not all of their products are vegan!

I was shocked to learn this so I emaild them and they told me that - to be able to provide a full range they had quite a few products that contained animal ingredients.

This was about 3 months ago.

Do email them yourself to confirm this

Gibby

Thanks Gibby! The Co-op products all clearly state on the packaging whether or not they contain animal products or nay. It usually says, this product is not tested on animals and contains no animal ingredients!
    Silent but deadly :p

veganesh

http://www.kleercut.net/en/

Kleenex Clearcutting By Kimberly Clark Boycott Kleenex.. made from ancient forests
    ------
    Kleenex, one of the most well known brands of tissue products in the world, is destroying the ancient forests of North America. Its manufacturer, Kimberly-Clark, the largest tissue product company in the world, continues to destroy ancient forests to manufacture products that are used once and then thrown away or flushed down the toilet.
    www.kleercut.net/en/
    www.greenpeace.org/usa
    See who is invested in Kimberly
    Clark Clearcutting..
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=KMB

Since toilet paper is rarely recycled (though urine only toilet paper
    could be) a growing number of people are attaching water sprays
    to their toilets.. or keeping a bucket with clean rags by it.
    -----

30 ways to save trees.. scroll down at
    http://dontmow.blogspot.com

Animals Live In the Ancient Forests Kleenex Cuts

veganesh

I want gradually to incorporate all your suggestions in a big list
    for easier posting to animal rights lists

Canada: clubbing seals, allowing grizzly slaughter, conducting
    the brutal Calgary Stampede, destroying old growth forest,
    promoting the eating of mammals

http://www.harpseals.org

Embassy
    Canada

501 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20001

Telephone: (202) 682-1740
    Fax: (202) 682-7726
    E-mail: webmaster@canadianembassy.org
    URL: http://www.canadianembassy.org

Japan: Whaling, Knifing Dolphins, Purchasing Ivory and Turtle Shells
    from slaughtered elephants and turtles, Funding the Neocon War
    .. and therefore bombing animals

Embassy
    Japan

2520 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC 20008

Telephone: (202) 238-6700
    Fax: (202) 328-2187
    URL: http://www.embjapan.org/

Norway: Whaling
    Embassy
    Royal Norwegian Embassy

2720 34th Street, NW, Washington DC 20008

Telephone: (202) 333-6000
    Fax: (202) 337-0870
    URL: http://www.norway.org/
    Kenya: Inviting In British Primate Frankensteins
    Embassy
    Kenya

2249 R. Street, NW, Washington DC 20008

Telephone: (202) 387-6101
    Fax: (202) 462-3829
    E-mail: info@kenyaembassy.com
    URL: http://www.kenyaembassy.com/

Chicago Sun Times, New York Times, Wall St. Journal,
    Fox affiliates Promoting Fur

(while deforesting the planet)

cjackson@suntimes.com.. one of the reporters involved

Kleenex Clearcutting By Kimberly Clark

Boycott Kleenex.. made from ancient forests
    ------

www.kleercut.net/en/
    www.greenpeace.org/usa
    See who is invested in Kimberly
    Clark Clearcutting..
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=KMB
    30 ways to save trees..
    dontmow.blogspot.com

Adidas Use Of Kangaroo Skins
    http://www.vivausa.org/visualmedia/videos.html

Fast Food Abbatoirs

KFC.. brutal slaughterhouses
    McDonald's... many concerns

http://www.kfccruelty.com
    http://www.mcspotlight.org

GORTON'S OWNED BY JAPANESE
    WHALER

http://members.greenpeace.org/

Gorton's Of Gloucester Owned By Japanese Whalers

Australia: mulesing
    http://www.savethesheep.com

Embassy
    Australia

1601 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20036

Telephone: (202) 797-3000
    Fax: (202) 797-3168
    URL: http://www.austemb.org/

Spain: bullfights

they gore the bulls in the plains of Spain
    where else is there such public pain

Embassy
    Spain

2375 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20037

Telephone: (202) 452-0100
    Fax: (202) 833-5670
    E-mail: spain@spainemb.org
    URL: http://www.spainemb.org/ingles/indexing.htm

Mexico: Bullfights

Embassy
    Mexico

1911 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20006

Telephone: (202) 728-1600
    Fax: (202) 728-1698
    E-mail: mexembusa@sre.gob.mx
    URL: http://www.embassyofmexico.org

veganesh

Ebay has announced plans to sell live animals

Please give them your feedback

Quote veganesh
    Ebay has announced plans to sell live animals

Please give them your feedback
    How? Where? could you give me a link as to where I should direct my complaint.

That can't be true, surely???
    I hope not, I use ebay quite often but if they start doing that I will write and complain.

Slavery Beneath the Golden Arches?

Another good reason for everyone to boycott McDonalds. As vegans, I know we do anyway - but it's another good reason to encourage our omnivorous friends to do the same.

http://www.alternet.org/wiretap/31098/

Anythink for f**king money

from the article. "McDonalds could use its market power to work with farmworkers in ensuring fair and humane working conditions in the fields."
    So much (wasted) power to do good.

I boycott a lot of those places...except Wal*mart at the moment. My mum buys a lotta stuff so I can't say anything right now about somethings. Oh well I try.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I'm really glad this thread has come to the top of the pile again so thought I'd help keep it here I was thinking earlier today about the fact that I don't know which smaller companies I should be avoiding.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it all very overwhelming? Since going vegan, I found out that not eating animal products wasn't enough but you have to boycott company X and company Y, etc, etc.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    Is it just me or does anyone else find it all very overwhelming? Since going vegan, I found out that not eating animal products wasn't enough but you have to boycott company X and company Y, etc, etc.
    No it's not just you Tigerlily I went vegan almost 5 years ago, and I thought, or wanted to think, I'd had a fully vegan lifestyle. I've recently realised I have a lot of improving to do, and you're right, it's totally overwhelming. It doesn't help that the most evil companies seem to be the ones that take over a whole load of other companies, so you have to be aware of all the offshoots as well.

Yeah, I find it especially hard living at home. My mom buys all the dish washing stuff, laundry stuff, paper towels, toilet paper, house cleaners, majority of the groceries....I can't force her to buy other brands. She's unemployed and has to buy what's cheapest for the family.

When I move out on my own in a much bigger city, I think it will be easier.

Quote Tigerlily
    When I move out on my own in a much bigger city, I think it will be easier.
    Absolutely, and at least you know the sorts of things that you'd rather buy when you do get your own place. It was living by myself again that jolted me into vegan action regarding cleaners, laundry stuff etc etc.

I'm going to have a good read of this thread though and see what else can be done

Tigerlily-
    No it's not just you - I am recently vegan and finding some aspects challenging to figure out - Saturday was a good example - I went to lunch with some friends - we had chosen a place to eat before hand, so I did some research to figure out what was safe to eat - then someone changed their mind at the last minute and I just had to guess the best I could.
    We went shopping afterwards it a huge shoe outlet - I couldn't find a thing that was appropriate for me to buy - either they were leather or they were made in China - I won't buy things produced there.
    I'm not complaining - just saying the decision is wider reaching than I had imagined and impacts all areas of my life - but I guess that's the point of being vegan anyway, right?

Well, I guess. But sometimes I don't want to not buy from Walmart or I don't want to not buy made in China clothing. This going to sound selfish maybe, but I don't feel an "emotional reason" for me to stop buying those things. I feel like I have to. Like I'm a bad or fake vegan if I don't. I just don't like that feeling. I don't like mentioning about something I like/bought and have someone make a reply after me why Kraft is evil, for example, and imply that I'm a "bad vegan" for buying them.

Right now, honestly, I'm content with buying simply vegan products. Fretting over fair trade, organic, union made, independently made, etc, etc is just way to much for me, especially since I really don't care about all that.