Thread: Vegan activity and social events in Surrey?

Default Vegan activity and social events in Surrey?

I'm struggling with the overlap of Surrey and London in terms of finding out what vegan related activities go on around these parts.

I've been looking to see if there's social groups, book clubs, regular meets, yadda yadda and have got in a muddle following links that either take me to:

a) websites that haven't been updated for months/years
    b) websites where the most obvious information about themselves for newbies is missing
    b) websites that no longer work
    c) stuff that links through to London based vegan sites.

I never used to feel like an 'outsider' with veganism before as I've been vegan for years, but all of a sudden the information I seek is proving evasive!

Can anyone give me a good round-up of the vegan social calendar Surrey style please? Please don't suggest London based stuff. It's not that I'm not interested, it's just that it seems much more well documented than Surrey stuff already.

Default Re: Vegan activity and social events in Surrey?

Hiya, Im not too familiar with the surrey area, but I know that theres some vegan stuff going on in Croydon, which isnt too far.... http://www.croydonvegetarians.makess....uk/index.html

But I guess that might count as London? But maybe they will know of some events in your area

Thanks for the reply Clare. I bookmarked the Croydon Vegetarians site the week I moved to Surrey and it has been of some use but it's a shame that there isn't more. I've been Googling and found various contact numbers for people who apparently run vegan/veggie groups around these parts but a) I don't know how recent the information is and b) it's a little intrusive calling someone up cos you saw their phone number on the internet.

I definitely think theres need for a website that lists vegan activities and issues specifically within the Surrey area. I understand that Brighton and London are close and have such resources already, but that's a cop out reason for Surrey not to have its own thing, y'know?
    Last edited by runtheroad; Nov 29th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

So am I the only person who feels this way then?

Where are all the Surrey vegans?

Perhaps they're in London?

I think there are (or were) one or two groups in Richmond, Surrey, but I don't suppose that's any more convenient than London for you, unfortunately. Maybe you could start a site or blog or Facebook group yourself to try and flush out any Surrey vegans?

I think where I am (Putney) used to be part of Surrey historically, but it's been sucked into the Great Wen long ago

There is a vegetarian society group in Guildford, and also Woking.

Never joined any of them though, so don't know what they're like.

Managed to find any places to eat out at all?

runtheroad, I'm in Surrey just down the road from you in Kingston. I've not really found anything social related down this way either, apart from stuff in Croydon. Again it's not somewhere where I can get to that easily time and baby in toll wise. Perhaps we should start something off this side of town eh?

That might be a plan. We'd need a bunch more people on board though. I've tried and failed so many times to make websites and when there's only one or two people involved it feels like you've got the world on your shoulders.

so what do we need to do then? start new thread searching for Surrey veggies and vegans? what to do eh?

It would be nice if other Surrey types lurking this thread could post and make themselves known.

Then we might get a better idea of numbers. Then we'd be in a better position to work out what is required.

I'm in Croydon which is technically Surrey I suppose but it seems easier for me to go into London for social events mostly which is why I didn't post here before.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Click Community>Members>Search Members>Advanced Search then put Surrey in the location box.

Doesn't list everyone but a fair few of us.

Seems to me the majority of Surrey vegans are on the West side whereas we're nearly in Kent. I'm sure there must be at least a small scene in Guildford.

We'd consider doing Surrey stuff but for us the only major town that's easy for us to get to in Surrey is Croydon, otherwise we might as well go to Nodnol.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tried that search and it's useful in seeing who is nearby but not much use in gauging numbers. I mean you would have had to have specifically typed "Surrey" as your location to be visible in that search. Which I doubt everyone in Surrey did. I know I didn't.

Basically this idea only has legs if another thirty or so people show up on this thread and go "hey, I'm in the same boat as you guys, lets organise something".

Since the thread is 6 weeks old already, I doubt this is gonna happen.

You big spoil sport

You're right, you probably aren't going to find 30 people in Surrey in 6 weeks on this forum (I could have told you that from the location info of the top 1000 members), but you only need 2 or 3 people to start a social group.

I turned vegan whilst living in Surrey 10 years ago and knew loads of vegetarians and vegans at the time through AR. I'm sure there are people out there. Old websites aren't nessecarily a problem - if you contact the people they probably still exist or can hook you up with others. Use www.archive.org to get copies of sites that no longer work.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote runtheroad View Post
    I've been Googling and found various contact numbers for people who apparently run vegan/veggie groups around these parts but a) I don't know how recent the information is and b) it's a little intrusive calling someone up cos you saw their phone number on the internet.
    You could text them and leave them your details, then they have the choice of if they want to contact you or not (you can text landlines in case you didn't know)

Not a social group as such but you might want to take a look at the Se-ar website (South East Animal Rights).

Most of them are vegans and they meet in Croydon once a month on the first Tuesday (evening), the next one is January 5th.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Holy crap their messageboard has a serious spam problem!

Bear with me - I am trying to think of a way to make this happen. I am up to my eyeballs with about 10 other projects right now though so don't hold your breath.

http://vegansurrey.wordpress.com

If you build it, they will come............

Maybe.

Hey runtheroad, sorry haven't replied not been on here much lately. Just looked at your link and it looks good. What can I do to help? How about restaurant/cafe/eateries reviews perhaps? a recipe page?

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    What can I do to help? How about restaurant/cafe/eateries reviews perhaps? a recipe page?
    Yes please!!

We're planning on taking advantage of Southern Rails cheap tickets to visit as many local veg places as possible in the next few months with the intention of photographing and reviewing each one we visit so we may have some content we can let you use soon.

Having just checked the Happy Cow website it appears that there's actually only 1 vegan friendly restaurant in the entire of Surrey which is in Guildford. So unless you want reviews of the same 2 vegan curries from all the different Wetherspoons in Surrey I'm not sure we'll have much for you to use after all.

EDIT: I tell a lie, there's one in Kingston too.
    Last edited by Risker; Jan 3rd, 2010 at 03:36 AM.

I was going to ask 'what about 'Peppertons?' but I just looked at their website and realised that

a) It isn't in Surrey
    b) It is "closed until further notice"

Admittedly there would be slim pickings if we were going to review vegan restaurants but it is possible to widen the net past that and maintain a vegan focus. I mean Pizza Express bases are vegan, so if you have a veg pizza with no cheese that's vegan, and I may be out of the loop but a couple of years back key branches of Pizza Express were stocking Redwoods melting vegan cheese.

I think the blog should be about vegan experiences in Surrey. Have you ever had attitude from a waiter for asking about vegan options? Or come across any misinformation (I asked if the veggieburger was vegan in TGI Friday once, waitress said yes, when it arrived it blatantly had cheese in, etc etc) Or maybe you've found a great little coffee shop that stocks soya milk and vegan snacks?

I might write an entry about how every time I go into that health food shop in Epsom the woman makes out like it's a huge effort to interrupt what she's doing to serve me, or tells me she can't sell me things because she "doesn't have change".

You could make the restaurant reviews of all restaurants within a certain radius of Surrey, that would include the ones in the surrounding counties that are easily accessible to residents of Surrey. There are online tools you can use to plan out the area, like this.
    Last edited by Risker; Jan 3rd, 2010 at 04:10 PM.

So, how do we start? I looked at your website and I don't know how to post on it.
    Other than that experiences with being vegan in surrey is a god idea, as are knowing where is vegan friendly and so on.

Heya. I live in Surrey, and also find it far easier to get into London than anywhere else for vegan food and stuff.

But if I can help, let me know.

Hello

I'm in Surrey too. I'd be interested in vegan social events - I'll have a look on the website . It would be great to get to know some other vegans.

Millie moo

I am gonna set up an email address which I will post on the site so that people interested in contributing can get in touch. Don't want it to be my usual one as it will inevitably invite spam once the spiders find it.

Just out of interest, what parts of Surrey are people (that haven't already said) from?

< weybridge

I'm in Guildford. I have visited the only Veggie restaurant in Guildford only once (The Beano). It's only open weekdays - and the first Saturday of every month I believe - so as I work full time outside of Guildford - it's not always available to eat at.

For a bite out to eat in town, it's always Wagamamas (who have a vegan list - some of the veggies dishes they will make in to vegan with removal of the egg/change in noodles - the staff generally seem to be helpful there) or a new little cafe which opened last summer. 'The foodie' I think it's called - again, not a veggie restaurant, but they do mark up the vegan food and often have a vegan cake or something available - yummy

I live in Richmond so I'm a Surrey person! Plus my best friend who I live with is also a vegan. We did join a small group of Richmond Vegan campaigners but left soon after as all they seemed to want to do is meet for dinner at new restaurants and discuss the latest movie releases. When my friend came up with a few campaigns after she discovered 2 shops in Richmond that sold fur, they all replied back sayings "oh wow, that's so innovative and risky, you're so brave". They looked upon us like we were teenagers expressing our 'crazy' views and never did anything but make us hand out leaflets once in about 8 months.

Quote Tofu Monkey View Post
    We did join a small group of Richmond Vegan campaigners but left soon after as all they seemed to want to do is meet for dinner at new restaurants and discuss the latest movie releases.
    Yeah, that puts me off too. It's like the AR-aspect often takes back seat to groups campaigning for vegan food availability and stuff like that.

BTW, you're not too far from me so if you ever want an extra person for leafletting and stuff, give me a shout

Also, since there seems to be a shortage of veggie restaurants in Surrey, maybe there could be a section on the site for hard-to-find vegan stuff in the area? i.e. at xmas, the Long Acres garden centre in Bagshot had some of the Cherrybrook Kitchen vegan like cakes and brownies (which were yum!), and they had the U.S. oreos (that are supposed to be vegan).

Thanks for the interest all.

I have too much on at the moment to take this forward (I'm in the middle of buying a house and starting a business).

If anyone wants to take the reigns for a while be my guest.

puca

There is a group in Surrey, which meets in the Kingston, Teddington, Twickenham areas... I never made it along, but they contacted me when I was a student.

None of those areas are near me. I'm up for starting something new for this side of Surrey but it's gonna have to wait til the Summer as I'm up to my eyeballs.

Also I figure there's only like 5 interested people, which is cool but it only takes a couple of people to drop out of each meeting for it to run out of steam. Others have latched on to the other groups or are prepared to trek out of the area I guess.

It doesn't help that there's very slim pickings in terms of vegan places to hangout round here.

Bear with me, I am working on it. It's just that I do not know Surrey and was looking for local vegans to help me with this knowledge. I just don't have the organisational skills to do it alone.

I think you can now see how much I'm struggling. It's over a year since I started this thread and I basically do not have time/resources/contacts to get anywhere.

I'm still in the same boat as I was then. I'm not from Surrey originally - I moved here for work. I still find the existing information online about Surrey based vegan & related activities astonishingly bad, and I simply do not have the time to trapse to London or Brighton to partake in any kind of social gatherings.

I spend my weekends picking different towns in Surrey and walking around them on my own in view of finding places of vegan interest or veggie/vegan restaurants where it hadn't occurred to the owners to publicise their vegan-ness online. It's an exercise in disappointment when there's so much potential.

I've never felt so alienated by veganism before and I've been vegan for 14 years.

Sorry to hear that you're feeling alienated, runtheroad.

In your position I would consider applying to be a local contact for the Vegan Society (or maybe the Vegetarian Society if you want to cast the net wider) - like-minded people in the area might contact you, or you could try organising a meet-up. (I have been a local contact for the Vegetarian Society in the past and organised a small group that met up occasionally and it really took minimal effort, the way I did it )

Does anyone know if Croydon vegans is still going? The link I have bookmarked for them no longer works.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Belated and somewhat tepid update, but the blog is something I simply don't have time for so it's sat unused since soon after I created it.

All I want is a bunch of local vegan/veggie friends I can hang out with now and again and who I can go out for dinner with. I don't have the time to organise big groups of people or walk the streets looking for undiscovered vegan activity. I just want to be less of a loner because I am surrounded by carnivores. Pathetic isn't it?

If you do care about my one man plight to try and meet veggies/vegans in the Surrey area, then my latest stupid idea is to set up a Twitter, because I know Twitter is quick and manageable and won't take much time to maintain.

My Twitter username is @vegansurrey

Right now I have two followers.

Hi!
    Just wanted to let people know that I've started a group on meetup.com : http://www.meetup.com/Surrey-Vegans/

I
    've been looking for vegan groups in surrey for ages but hadn't found anything so I thought I'd start one (hugely uncharacteristic of me by the way so am a little nervous about it! - I'm usually more of a follower). I couldn't decide what kind of group I wanted it to be so I thought I'd wait and see how many people were interested and then see if people wanted more of a social group or an activist thing. Once a few people have joined we could meet for coffee or something and talk about it.

Oh and my name's Mel by the way

^ I would join but we moved from Surrey to Hampshire last year. Could join to help boost the numbers if you like? We're not that far so there's a small chance we could make some gathering depending on where it was.

I'm driving over from Wales w/c 19th Sep to spend the week in Leatherhead and have been scouring the web for vegan B&Bs, vegan friendly places to eat and so on........ and have drawn a blank every time. Anyone out there wants to put their hand up and suggest something I'd be most grateful.