Thread: Americans need a place to stay in London on Dec 3 & 4!

Exclamation Americans need a place to stay in London on Dec 3 & 4!

Anyone in London have an extra bed, couch, or floor for two dudes visiting from the US? We don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, so you don't have to worry about that. I am vegan and my friend is vegan-friendly. We have booked the flights to and from your country for a vegan band's last show and we're putting everything else up to chance!

We're flying in to Heathrow on December 3rd (10am) and flying out of Heathrow on December 6th (7am). The concert is the night of December 5th in Brighton and we will leave straight from the show for Heathrow and sleep there. So we will only need a place to stay on the 3rd and 4th of December, possibly only the 4th. We may be in Newport, Wales the night of the 3rd for another concert and documentary showing. I am talking to one of the London bands that is playing the show and they may be giving us a ride to and from the show. That is still up in the air, however.

Long story short, if you have room for two guys on the nights of December 3rd (possibly) and 4th, please let me know. We are going to rent bikes and will be out all day doing the tourist thing in London, so you will only see us late at night and early in the morning. We would greatly appreciate any help and would be willing to throw some money your way for the trouble. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Also, what sites do you recommend we see while we are in London?
    Last edited by dantalife; Nov 9th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
    "We must cherish what exists in order to overcome." - Amora Savant

Default Re: Americans need a place to stay in London on Dec 3 & 4!

If you haven't tried it yet, I strongly recommend www.CouchSurfing.org. It is a website of people who travel and also offer their couches for people to stay for free. There will be thousands of people offering their couches in London, and you can search for vegans in the keyword section.

I've traveled around the UK using CouchSurfing, and it works brilliantly. It might be a better and safer site for you to use for this purpose.

As an American who has lived in England, I recommend just wandering around in places like Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Westminster, all right in Central London, then Camden Town. These are all stops on the Tube, so they're easy to find, and all the traditional sights are around these parts. But wandering around, instead of just seeing things according to a checklist, is the best way to absorb the vibe of the city. You might enjoy going to a pub, even if you don't drink, just because they're different from American bars.

I also recommend that you spend the day in Brighton before the show. I used to live there. It's a great place to spend a free day. Go to the beach, walk around the Laines, enjoy a Red Veg burger. You can even find a place to stay in Brighton through CouchSurfing, as I'm not sure how easy it will be to get to Heathrow past midnight.

If you can't find any places to stay here or on CouchSurfing (although I've never failed to find a place on CouchSurfing in something like the 30 places I've used it for), you can find pretty cheap hostels. But CouchSurfing is better because you'll make friends!

I'm guessing that you'll be seeing Fall of Efrafa in Brig
    Last edited by matt35mm; Nov 9th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I'm guessing that you'll be seeing Fall of Efrafa in Brig
    Correct! Thank you so much for the heads up on the CouchSurfing resource, I had no idea that site existed. I will definitely be registering ASAP and hopefully something comes through. I was hoping to snatch a couch from someone that was going to the show or into the same types of things, that's why I've been posting on record label forums and vegan forums, but this seems to be the best bet.

In your experience, I'm guessing it's been pretty safe? I mean, you're alive obviously, but have you run into any sketchy situations?

I don't know why my last post was cut off. I guess I accidentally did that when I was editing it. Basically I wrote that my friends and I ran in the same circles as the two from Fall from Efrafa, so they're probably going to the show, too. You might be able to crash with them in Brighton, if you can't find transportation to Heathrow after midnight.

CouchSurfing is very safe, in my opinion. I've never had any sketchy situations, and neither have my friends, who also use it a lot. Members have profiles and references and there are a few built-in safety features that people can volunteer for to show that they are who they say they are. You can search for keywords like vegan or whatever to find people with common interests.

Just make sure to fill out the profile really well and put up some pictures. If you don't have much info, people won't be apt to put you up, especially since you won't have any references yet.

There are also groups and threads, like a forum, and you can go into the London and Brighton threads and make a post about the FoE show and maybe find someone who is also going.

Good luck!

Awesome! Would you mind asking your friends if they are going to the show or hit me up with their emails? I know that may be kind of wierd if they just get a random email from some dude, but if we're all fans/friends of the band, I don't see the harm.

I actually made a forum for everyone that is going to the show, so that we can all coordinate, since people are coming from all parts of the world for this. Here's the link:

http://lastfoeshow.freeforums.org

You can pass that on to your friends as well. The band is aware of it and have been emailing it around to the people that are going definitely going to the show, so there's a chance they already know about it.

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to be grabbing a Red Veg burger while in Brighton for the day

I'll mention it to them.

Another tip: pre-order your London to Brighton ticket a few days in advance at www.southernrailway.com. Specify "LONDON VICTORIA" to "BRIGHTON." It will only be 3 pounds per person (just under $5), and the ride takes about 50 minutes. Otherwise, you'll be paying something like 11 pounds each (around $18). When you pre-order, you'll get a code and you can collect it at the station from the machines. Save that money for the most satisfying burger you'll ever eat.

My friend said that he is going to the show and can host you in Brighton. I will PM you his e-mail address.

Thank you so much man!