Thread: i'm 5 months pregnant - diet advice plese

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default i'm 5 months pregnant - diet advice plese

Hi all, i haven't been on here for quite some time. I'm hoping you all might be able to offer me some advise as to halthy balanced meals whilst i am pregnant as i'm vey concerned i'm not eating what i should be.

yum
    x

Default Re: i'm 5 months pregnant.. diet advice plese

Congratulations yum! Have you seen this page?

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm

I'm sure there are more, and books too - some of the forum parents will be along soon to help, I'm sure.

vpure do a vegan omega 3 oil... I believe this kind of [algae] oil is widely recognised as crucial to brain development.

????
    Edit EPA ... EicosaPentanoicAcid.
    Last edited by whalespace; Nov 11th, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Congratulations yum.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Congrats Yum - your midwife should be able to offer advice on healthy eating during pregnancy. Or refer you to someone who can if you're concerned.

Congratulations I had a totally vegan pregnancy two years ago. I made sure I took B12, ate a good mix of fruit and veg, grains, pulses, beans and tofu. I think the osteocare calcium supplements are vegan (you may want to check this) but I did not take them anyway as soya milks have calcium added. I took folic acid for the first twelve weeks but you are past that date now. I can't think of anything else I did specially. I also had gestational diabietes which was challenging as I had to test my blood sugars three times a day and limit my fruit consumption. By the final month I was eating porridge and soya milk for breakfast, a banana and rice cake as a snack. Tofu and veg and brown rice, glass soya milk and fruit at lunch. Pumpkin seeds as a snack and fruit. Ditto lunch for dinner and wholemeal muffin or toast before bed with marmite. I got my omega 3 from Pure spread. My whole preganancy was fine and healthy, so much so that I was the first gestational diabetic the midwife had heard of who got discharged from the diabetes team care and put on midwife only care! (Which terrified me at the time). My daughter was born fine and healthy Enjoy your pregancy. Sorry for all the waffle.

Quote whalespace View Post
    vpure do a vegan omega 3 oil... I believe this kind of [algae] oil is widely recognised as crucial to brain development.

????
    I took algae oil (in a capsule form), but otherwise I didn't do anything different, I ate loads of fresh organic fruit and veg and absolutey No alcohol. You know they check your iron levels at half way through your pregnancy,-mine were good and I didn't need any supplements. I had a healthy pregnancy but put on 3 stone.
    I'd say be careful with your fat in take as it can be hard to lose the weight after.

Default Re: i'm 5 months pregnant - diet advice plese

Hi, thanks for all your replies. As i'm responsible for another living person i'm worrying more than i would about my diet. Especially protein and calcium. I looked on that website thank you
    can't wait to go food shopping tomorrow!

Quote yum View Post
    Hi all, i haven't been on here for quite some time. I'm hoping you all might be able to offer me some advise as to halthy balanced meals whilst i am pregnant as i'm vey concerned i'm not eating what i should be.

yum
    x
    Congrats

Don't start panicking and thinking you need to be eating lots more (around 2-300 extra cals a day is right in the last trimester), just more balanced. A pregnancy vitamin should help you out, but clear it with a doctor.

Omega oils are important as well, so ensure those are covered and you should be fine.

This book is fantastic
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feeding-Your.../dp/0907337295

Loads of advice the pregnant vegan woman, all the way through young child rearing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-V...ref=pd_sim_b_2
    Is good, but only a pamphlet really, hence it being 1.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Vegetar...ref=pd_sim_b_5
    Is okay, but aimed at lacto-ovos so not as focused as you might like.

Good luck with it all
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I've had 4 vegan pregnancies, all normal, except for excessive morning sickness that required meds for the last two. But if you're able to eat, just make sure you're eating plenty of green veggies, beans, seeds, nuts & whole grains. I always added a vegan multivitamin, calcium +D2 and mag, chia seed oil, and a vegan DHA capsule.
    Congrats!!
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

Congratulations

Great news Yum!

Try not to worry too much about things.............as long as you are eating fresh fruit and vegetables and having regular check ups you and the little baby will be fine.
    I found that whilst pregnant with my two, I craved more fruit and raw vegetables. Don't worry too much about gaining a little weight.................I can only speak for myself here but I found it very easy to lose the weight after both my pregnancies. I think if you are eating a healthy diet in the first place and not relying too much on 'comfort' food your figure will go back to it's pre-pregnancy days quite easily.

Once again...........many congratulations and enjoy being pregnant! xxx
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

raisingsevenvegans

I've had five vegan pregnancies (and managed to produce seven kids! - work that one out!)
    Don't panic or worry - just make sure you eat a balanced diet. Watch your iron levels, and eat lots of dark leafy greens.
    In my last pregnancy I drank green smoothies several times each day, and I packed them will all kinds of goodies (flax seeds, nuts, seeds, spinach, kale, hemp...)
    Eat some fortified foods to get B12 - especially if you decide to breastfeed.
    Finally, Congratulations!

cobweb

i don't have much to add but wanted to offer my congratulations also, and to tell you to make sure that you keep us informed of developments here!.

BIG congrats on your pregnancy Yum!
    How exciting! Hope you are feeling well, and that you are enjoying this special time

thanks everyone for your advice
    i'm going to be a single mum but i'm much mor excepting of this now and am getting excited if not scared (partner broke up with me to be with his ex before i knew i was pregnant).

20 weeks today
    x

Congrats!

I became vegan after giving birth, so I don't have any advice for you on that front.

I will tell you that breastfeeding makes me hungry all the time. Be sure you keep healthy snacks around. Drink lots of water. Have you started going to any breastfeeding support groups? That was a big help for me, being with other mothers who have been there/done that.

And most important: follow your mommy instincts. Don't let anyone else scare you into thinking that pregnancy/labor/birth or parenting is hard. You make it what you want. Think possitive and it will be.
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

Probably eating better than most women in this world, so that's a start.

One powerful tool I gained during pregnancy guiding me was a sensitive nose. God, did so many things reek. Whatever smelled good I ate.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I haven't any advice but I wanted to offer my congratulations as well!! xo
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

congradulations!

my bub is nearly 5 months i didn't really worry too much about my diet while pregnant but i did eat lots of avo and lemon due to cravings and gave birth to a big healthy bub.
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/