Thread: Tories and hunting

Default Tories and hunting

I have written to the tories asking them what they will do with the hunting ban if they get into power. I think I already knew, but now I have it in writing, together with an article from their shadow secretary of state for the environment, which is supposed to 'reassure' me - they will try to bring back hunting if they get in.

I know the ban is not as good as it should be but we waited YEARS for this, and now it is on the statute book, and hopefully, in time, can be strengthened. I find it utterly depressing that after only a very short time, it could become legal again. Can I urge everyone PLEASE to write to David Cameron and express concerns, and certainly take every opportunity to get your views across in the run up to the general election when the tories will be desperate for your vote. Every letter counts.

Even if they don't take it out of their game plan, it might be pushed further down the agenda if enough people let them know how unpopular it is with 'ordinary' people...

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

Prawnil

Default Re: Tories and hunting

I can't think of any analogous cases where an animal-law reform has been reversed in the same way. Can anyone else? Even if the enforcement is practically difficult, there is a horrible symbolism in removing the ban. I'll write.

Barley, I agree it is very depressing and it makes me want to leave the country, but where would I go that was better for animal rights?

I will also consider writing some letters as you suggested. Thanks for giving me motivation.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Good idea!

Who/how do I write to?

Quote Purple View Post
    Good idea!

Who/how do I write to?
    Hi Purple... thanks..

I just wrote to David Cameron MP at House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA I couldn't find an email address for him.

Quote Cumin View Post
    Barley, I agree it is very depressing and it makes me want to leave the country, but where would I go that was better for animal rights?

I will also consider writing some letters as you suggested. Thanks for giving me motivation.
    Hi Cumin

Yes, I know.. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else either, but the hunting ban was SO long awaited, and it was such a struggle to get it that I think it's worth making every effort to keep the tories from overturning it... We may never get another chance at bringing the ban back once it's gone...

Ruziko

I have a feeling that someone like David Cameron will be unperturbed by any emails/letters sent. They've pretty much promised to get it legalised again.

leedsveg

And not just the Tories. Princess Di seemed to be against hunting but the rest of the degenerate inbreeds known as 'The Royal Family', are VERY pro-hunting. Charley and Camilla ride with the Beaufort Hunt, and Charley threatened (promised?) to leave the country if/before, the ban was brought in.

leedsveg

Quote Barley View Post
    Even if they don't take it out of their game plan, it might be pushed further down the agenda if enough people let them know how unpopular it is with 'ordinary' people...

Dare I say that I doubt if the Tories even want anything to do with us 'ordinary' people, let alone care what we think.

But it's worth a shot
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Charley and Camilla ride with the Beaufort Hunt, and Charley threatened (promised?) to leave the country if/before, the ban was brought in.
    And he calls himself an environmentalist?!!! It is disgusting that the Royal Family openly show their disregard for the law in the country by siding with the hunt organisers that this is a 'temporary' ban only....grrrrr.

ETA Cameron can expect a strongly worded letter from me.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

When I read the thread title I have to admit I misread it, and thought it would be a good idea to hunt Tories.

if you want to sign the electronic version, and thus save paper and postage, go here
    Last edited by vegcurry; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added URL

Thanks VC
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Thanks VC, I signed too. I wouldn't vote Tory in a million years but that's beside the point, I don't suppose Hilary Benn would either

[QUOTE=vegcurry;637699]When I read the thread title I have to admit I misread it, and thought it would be a good idea to hunt Tories.

Hee...Thanks N - I have done that too and passed it around.

Bfn...