Thread: Vegetable Korma

Question Vegetable Korma

I made this veggie korma on Friday night....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...rma_1407.shtml

...and both my BF and me found it very bland! I followed the recipe faithfully and it turned out to be distinctly non-creamy and barely tasted of much at all

I wondered if anyone had a fabulous korma recipe to share? I was so looking forward to it and want to have another go this week
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Default Re: Vegetable Korma

Korma paste + coconut milk?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Patak's Korma Paste is your best bet. This recipe is just off the top of my head from memory.

Fry up some onion and garlic, throw in about 1/4 jar of the paste, let it fry off for a couple of minutes,
    throw in whatever veggies you want and then throw about a half cup of water over it. Let that simmer for about 20 minutes or until it reduces.
    Take it off the heat and let it cool for a minute and pour in about a half cup of alpro fresh soya cream (the uht stuff doesn't taste near as good)
    Finish it with fresh coriander.

This is as about as close to real indian style korma as you're going to get and it couldn't be simpler.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Sloth

I've kind of gone off the Patak's paste recently. I find that they all taste quite similar, and never seem to result (for me) in something that tastes as close to a proper curry as I'd like.

There's a geo organics paste too, but not tried it.

Quote Sloth View Post
    I've kind of gone off the Patak's paste recently. I find that they all taste quite similar, and never seem to result (for me) in something that tastes as close to a proper curry as I'd like.
    They are all a bit similar alright (bar the vindaloo - hot!), but there are some really nice recipes on the pataks site for them, and with a bit of effort you can get them tasting pretty authentic. The channa masala and dhal recipes are total winners.

Thanks for the hints!

I was rather hoping for a 'from scratch' recipe since I have all these exciting spices at the moment, but I might end up resorting to a paste if I want the korma bad

I found quite a nice looking recipe for an Indonesian coconut curry which I might try next....to make up for the previous disaster! Friday night is a bit too special for boring curry I feel.....
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

BlackCats

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Korma paste + coconut milk?
    I think coconut milk is delicious in curries.

It's technically more thai/sri lankan than indian, but it's cheaper than using alpro cream (which does indeed work well) and you're guaranteed creaminess.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I think coconut milk is delicious in curries.
    I couldn't agree more! I use it no more than once a week and try my best not to think about how much fat is in there

BlackCats

Quote fooldramaqueen View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I use it no more than once a week and try my best not to think about how much fat is in there
    It's really high in fat isn't it! It's very good for you though I think.

The best one I've found is Meridian Korma sauce. Holland and Barrett have just started stocking it. It's ace

Hi fooldramaqueen, I have a very nice 'from scratch' recipe for Korma, which I actually tested last night. It's not a vegan recipe, so I'm just giving you the sauce ingredients. This amount feeds six people who don't eat a lot and don't ask for seconds:

• 2 onions
    • 8 cloves garlic
    • 2.5 cm/1 in ginger root
    • 2 dried red chillies
    • 4 tsp coriander seeds
    • 2 tsp cumin seeds
    • 1 tsp turmeric
    • 50 g grated coconut
    • 5 cloves
    • 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
    • seeds from 4 cardamom pods
    • 1 cinnamon stick, broken
    • 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
    • 1/2 tsp mustrard seeds
    • 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
    • 2 bay leaves
    • salt to taste
    • 250 ml /1 cup water
    Puree all the ingredients in a food processor to form a paste and fry with 3 tbsp oil on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add your veggies (I had pre-cooked them lightly), mix well, add some water and cook until done. Add soy cream to thicken the sauce and serve.

I used less cinnamon and garlic than called for and found I had to up the sweet spices a bit, but this is something you can easily fix during cooking.

This is from Wendy Hobson's The Classic 1000 Indian Recipes, which sounds completely crappy but is in fact a very good and authentic cookbook (or at least UK balti authentic)

^^ Sounds amazing, I'm going to give it a try at the weekend.

Quote rulska View Post
    Hi fooldramaqueen, I have a very nice 'from scratch' recipe for Korma, which I actually tested last night. It's not a vegan recipe, so I'm just giving you the sauce ingredients. This amount feeds six people who don't eat a lot and don't ask for seconds:
    It sounds wonderful Rulska, thank you! I will definitely give this a go some time this week - I think I need to make amends for the last curry which was woefully uninteresting!

Quote jimmeh View Post
    The best one I've found is Meridian Korma sauce. Holland and Barrett have just started stocking it. It's ace
    i've been using that for a couple of years, but my local Holland & Barrett has just stopped stocking it. they also do (did?) a tikka masala sauce which is equally nice. i used to be able to get them in Asda too but i don't shop there anymore.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i've been using that for a couple of years, but my local Holland & Barrett has just stopped stocking it. they also do (did?) a tikka masala sauce which is equally nice. i used to be able to get them in Asda too but i don't shop there anymore.
    Damn, that's a shame. I've been getting mine elsewhere so I'm not sure whether the H&Bs have stopped stocking it here too. I agree though, the Tikka Masala is divine. Sometimes you just need to open a jar instead of cooking from scratch

pavotrouge

to clear up definitions, korma is essentially a creamy sort of curry, so korma paste + coconut milk is just perfect (soy yoghurt is another fave).

@rulska: that's pretty much what I use for my korma paste and I've been taught by Indian veggie caterers I use more ginger because that's the way I roll and no nutmeg though.