Thread: San Francisco question

Default San Francisco question

I'll be in SF next month for exactly 25 HOURS

I'll be trying these restaurants for lunch/dinner (thanks to HappyCow): Love 'n Haight, Loving Hut, Jays Cheesesteaks, Naia Gelato and Maggie Mudds. All using public transport. Have I made good choices?

But I can't seem to find some place for breakfast. The meeting is by the Montgomery BART station so I am looking for places nearby.

TIA.

Default Re: San Francisco question

Jay's and Love n' Haight are good hole-in-the-wall places for quick sandwiches. There are so many other places you could go though. I've never heard of Loving Hut before. Golden Era and Lucky Creation are two other good asian veg restaurants close to downtown. Burma Superstar is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, but kind of far from where you'll probably be. It has a long wait at dinner times too. Herbivore is very good and has two locations.

There aren't many breakfast choices near the Montgomery Bart station that I can think of. You could just get on the Bart and go a few stops to the 16th St/Mission station. Just a few blocks from there is the Pork Store Cafe, which has a good vegan scramble.
    pro-vegetable

Lucky Creation has to be the best Chinese restaurant I've eaten in, it's well worth a visit.

Thanks guys.. will go back to transit site to see if these suggestions are do-able. If only I didn't need to be at the airport 2 hrs before the flight <grrrr>

Loving Hut is right around the corner from the meeting so that's where I'm going for lunch. some sort of buddhisty place but its all vegan. MUCH better than the !@#$%^&*##&&# the rest of the partcipants will get for lunch.

Now I remembered why I didn't choose Lucky Creation. They're closed on Wednesdays.
    Last edited by shellymi2nv; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: additional info

that's a shame about lucky creation - i loved that place i would say to go to herbivore. there are two, one more central than the other, i think.

have fun! where are you en route to?

Quote flying plum View Post
    where are you en route to?
    going back to las vegas.

no matter where i am flying from, since las vegas is such a tourist destination, those flights are always crowded. i have found from experience to be at the airport 2 hrs before (got bumped a couple of times in the past for not being there on time)

my meeting ends at 4, the last flight out leaves at 9. which leaves me basically 3 hrs to try out all the wonderful vegan restaurants so i'm trying to map out a route from the financial district to the airport with stops along the way for food

[caps lock still broken ]

aaah, i see; i thought you had a 25 hour layover...didn't read your original post properly, apologies!

and i'm sure you know this, but you can make a capital letter by holding the 'shift' key, if your caps lock itself isn't working

amanda

I heard that Millenium is the best vegan food in the whole world. With a claim like that, I'd go there.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Let us know how you get on

I've had to go to SF twice this year for business stuff, so knowing where the good eateries are would be really helpful.

If you're in the financial district and need some breakfast, I recommend Harvest & Rowe, 55 Second Street, (between Market and Mission) in Financial District.

It's not a Vegan place, but does really good porridge/oatmeal (made with water but please check just in case it changes) with Agave and fruit/nuts whatever you want. It also does lunch stuff and looks like it has vegan cupcakes and tofu wraps etc, but I was never there late enough for their lunch stuff to be ready.

http://www.harvestandrowe.com/

Quote flying plum View Post
    and i'm sure you know this, but you can make a capital letter by holding the 'shift' key, if your caps lock itself isn't working amanda
    Oh, if only the shift worked.... The keyboard on my laptop is 83% fried. I can type letters and numbers but no shift/caps/backspace etc. I'm ready to throw it against the wall, but then nothing would work

I'm at work now, we can afford to swap out desktop keyboards

Quote Purple View Post
    If you're in the financial district and need some breakfast, I recommend Harvest & Rowe, 55 Second Street, (between Market and Mission) in Financial District.
    Thanks, I will check it out.

It's funny how I get San Francisco information from people half-way around the world and not from SF residents.

Quote shellymi2nv View Post
    Oh, if only the shift worked.... The keyboard on my laptop is 83% fried. I can type letters and numbers but no shift/caps/backspace etc. I'm ready to throw it against the wall, but then nothing would work

I'm at work now, we can afford to swap out desktop keyboards
    Can you not plug in an external keyboard? I know it kind of ruins the portability of the laptop but a USB roll up keyboard or bog standard desktop keyboard would make it fully usable again.

It's funny how I get San Francisco information from people half-way around the world and not from SF residents.
    Maybe they're all too busy going to these eateries
    Last edited by vegcurry; Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added more

i live here and i'm a long time veg (since the 70s).
    by far, GOLDEN ERA (closed on tuesdays), Cafe Gratitude (raw), Herbivore (grilled) are the best vegan restaurants in town.

check out www.bayareaveg.org/finder.htm

golden era, lucky creation (skanky) and loving hut are walking distance.
    ananda fuara is walking disance (see veg food finder above)
    herbivore on valencia street and cafe gratitude are bus-able.
    there's also a whole foods market with a large salad bar on franklin and california (walkable).

I feel your pain! Best of luck when you're out there

So here's the plan:

Tuesday:
    • Love N'Haight - dinner
    Wed:
    • Harvest and Rowe - breakfast
    • Loving Hut - lunch
    • Naia Gelato - dessert
    • Jay's Cheesesteak - dinner
    • Maggie Mudd's - dessert
    Thank you transit 511 for knowing how to get from point A to point B and telling me how much it will cost!

Have you been yet? How did you find it all?

OK folks, here's my unabashed SF restaurant mini-review (and a public transportation warning):

(1 thumbs up)
    Love & Haight
    I had read in other website reviews raves about the "veg duck". When I finally got there, I was told the vege duck is NOT vegan. OK. So I got another sandwich. It was very late so I don't remember exactly - BBQ maybe? It was good but there was only 1 slice of veg meat to the sandwich and way too much mustard, which clashed with the BBQ flavor. They did have big packages of soy jerky so I got a couple of the hickory, teriyaki and the lime flavors. Now, THOSE were all good!

/
    Harvest and Rowe.
    OUT OF OATMEAL at 8am? How in the world do you manage to do that?
    The owners brother said they had a large breakfast catering order; they had only made 4 pots of oatmeal and that they were "getting some more in ASAP".
    So I had the carrot ginger soup and 2 vegan chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. Soup was fantastic. Creamy and gingery at the same time. Chocolate chip cookies were good as well. But still, very very very very disappointed. And so were the 20 or 30 other people who all walked in between 8 & 9 am looking for oatmeal. Brother never did come back with the oatmeal while I was there.

3 (3 thumbs up)
    I didn't make it to Loving Hut or the Gelato Place. My meeting organizer got me a VEGAN lunch from ENJOY Restaurant instead. WOW! Lunch special included a small cup of seaweed miso soup - YUMMY! a small veggie spring roll (just OK) and a huge box of mongolian beef with brown rice. The flavors were great, on the chili hot side and included chunks of zucchini, carrots, red and green peppers and rice noodles. I also ordered a vegan thai ice tea with mango boba. I sucked that ice tea down so fast it made my head spin! And normally I HATE ice tea. The boba were not the usual chewy ones I'm used to. They were like liquid capsules, bite into one and get this small burst of mango juice. Cool and refreshing.

2 (2 thumbs up)
    Jay's Cheesesteaks: Nowhere near the "touristy" places. But it was definately worth it. 7 or 8 flavors of seitan sandwiches. I choose the BBQ again. The counterman told me straight off they don't have soy cheese. No problem. What I got was good enough without the cheese. The place is really small, maybe 4 or 5 tables. There is 1 table right in front of the restroom so it's a juggling act to get into the restroom if the table is occupied. But the food makes up for these "idiosyncracies"

10 (10 thumbs up)
    Maggie Mudd
    WARNING: This place is even farther off the tourist trail than Jay's ... If you take the #67 Bernal Heights bus, do NOT get off at the stop marked Folsom/Cortland. It's actually Cortland and Nevada and Maggie Mudd's is 4 blocks UP A VERY VERY STEEP HILL (think Mt Everest). Instead, tell the bus driver you want off at Cortland and Gates.
    So once I managed to trek up to Maggies, I stumbled in and lo and behold ... TEN DIFFERENT VEGAN FLAVORS OF ICE CREAM to choose from. I got a chocolately one with crunched up oreo cookies in one cup and a mint chocolate chip one in another cup. O....M.....G..... Then I saw the little green leaf by the S'more shake description (which meant it could be made vegan). He assured me that the marshmellow used was vegan. So I got a large S'more shake as well. Indescribeably delicious!

If I didn't need to catch a bus to take me back to BART to get back to the airport, I would have ordered a gallon of each flavor just to pig out on.
    Last edited by shellymi2nv; Dec 4th, 2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added forgotten restaurant

going back to las vegas.

no matter where i am flying from, since las vegas is such a tourist destination, those flights are always crowded. i have found from experience to be at the airport 2 hrs before (got bumped a couple of times in the past for not being there on time)
    I just saw firsthand the effects of this "recession"

The plane had F O U R T E E N passengers. I kept waiting for more to board, but that was it. 14 passengers on a Southwest Airlines flight SF -> LV. I have NEVER seen that in the 20+ yrs I've flown into Las Vegas.

Oh no! So sorry about Harvest & Rowe being out of oatmeal. That sucks

Every time I'd been there before (around 7.30 - 8.00) it had been completely empty (never had the cookies, was always too early).

Never tried Maggie Mudd but have heard awesome things about it, can't wait to give it a go.

I went to this other breakfast place in SF once, that did oatmeal with soya milk. Not sure if the guy there was looking after the place for someone else, but the oatmeal wasn't cooked, he didn't know how much it was, he didn't have any bowls, so I had it in a coffee cup, and he didn't have any plastic spoons, so I basically had to 'drink it'. Tasted horrible, had to throw it away.

My email to Harvest and Rowe:

Your carrot ginger soup was great. So was the vegan chocolate chip cookie. Unfortunately, you were out of oatmeal when I came in on Wednesday. I was disappointed, so were the 20-30 other people who came in asking for oatmeal while I was there.
    You have a nice restaurant. I really liked the recycling bins and all the organic food.
    That's why I had soup for breakfast. I didn't know any other breakfast places around the area with vegan food. Maybe you'll have more oatmeal when I return to San Francisco for the next meeting in 2 years

Their response:
    I feel terrible about that. Of course the one day we were out of oats was the day you came in. Pls send me an address, I have some fun stuff to send you for having such a great attitude! Thanks for coming in.

Hah cool, let me know what you get