Thread: Help, I end up eating the same stuff all the time

Default Help, I end up eating the same stuff all the time

I am stuck in a vegan food rut. I have gotten to the point where I am just fed up of food and do not look forward to eating. The problem is, I end up eating the same stuff all the time because I am not very talented when it comes to cooking! Too often I resort to a take-out (a chippy because it is convenient and free as it's my parent's business) and I need help! It's making me consider vegetarianism again, even though I know it would be a fleeting phase because I feel so awful when I eat dairy. But still, that is not good! I love the principles behind veganism, I am just finding it hard at the minute. So what are your favourite, easy recipes? I do not like spicy food, even mild spices are too much for me- though I have bought a vegetable curry to try. I doubt I'll like it very much but if you don't try you never know.

Things I always end up eating:

* Pasta and some kind of sauce
    * Vegetable stir frys
    * Some variety of veggie/bean burger and veg
    * Linda McCartney pies/sausages etc. and veg
    * Cheese free pizzas (home-made by my bf)
    * Salads
    * Baked potatos
    * Soups

My diet is literally that boring!!

Breakfast is fine. It's just lunch and dinner I find uninspiring. So any ideas for easy recipes that are tasty and different? If you have any yummy pics for inspirtation that would be grand. Also just to add, I do not like tofu.

Many thanks!!

Buddha Belly

Default Re: I need help! Losing enthusiasm about vegan food

How much are you willing to spend on food and how much time do you want to spend on cooking?

Default Re: I need help! Losing enthusiasm about vegan food

At the moment, willing to spend as much as it takes to keep me vegan! I'm a bit lazy though so don't like to spend more than 40-45mins cooking. However, would spend longer cooking if the end result was worth it!

Buddha Belly

Default Re: Help, I end up eating the same stuff all the time

Is there any foods you really do not like?

cobweb

to be honest that is similar to my food pattern - and it wouldn't be a lot different if i were a vegetarian rather than vegan.

i do make quiche type things - use a shop bought pastry, blend up some tofu and soya milk to make a runny base, chop some onions and/or garlic, add some vegan cheeze if you want, decorate with sliced tomatoes and bung in the oven. I rarely use recipes and nothing ever takes me long to prepare or cook, i don't believe in faffing!.

i also make easy pasties, shop bought pastry again, and fillings of mashed potato, onion and houmous, or cheezly and potato, or veg mince and potato (+ onion if you like it)

an easy lunch is either mushrooms on toast or scrambled tofu on toast

if you can get seitan its yummy

nut roasts are pretty easy

pancakes are dead easy and make quite a filling lunch

also stuffed peppers or large tomatoes are simple - just buy some packet stuffing, hollow out, stuff, and bake.
    Last edited by cobweb; Nov 22nd, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

cobweb

another thing - veg stews are dead easy, as are shepherds pies, made with lentils and/or veg mince.
    i like things you can just bung in the oven or on the hob and they cook themselves

Thanks cobweb

I really don't like indian food.... and carrots.

Chilli: onions, peppers, chillis, courgettes, grated carrots, vegemince (optional), tinned tomatoes, tinned kidney beans, cumin, coriander, parsley. Serve with rice, chips, tortillas, or tortilla chips. As long as you don't add mushrooms, you don't need to add salt!

Curry: onions, peppers, chillis, courgettes, mushrooms or realeat chicken pieces, jar of curry sauce (asda cheapy one is good for 14p ), heaped teaspoon mango chutney. Serve with rice or chips or poppadoms.

Chinese: onions, peppers, chillis, courgettes, mushrooms, seaweed, mock duck or mock abalone, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, jar of sauce (Asda cheapy sweet and sour is good here, or a black bean sauce). Serve with rice, wholewheat noodles (like egg noodles but eggless), cheap noodles, chips or Asda Thai crackers (in clear bag).

Mostly the same ingredients stir fried, just different sauces.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Oops I was posting when you said about carrots and Indian food. Saying that, though, there's nothing vaguely Indian about that curry recipe - it's very chip-shop-curry style.

Grated carrots in tomato based sauces is pretty good for hiding them, they just add sweetness rather than taste or texture.

You mentioned being tempted to go back to veggie - what extra food choices would this give you? Most of those would be veganisable.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

To be honest I think it's just the temptation of being able to pick up convenience foods in the supermarket. I am now aware of just how easy it is to be vegetarian. However, I don't think I could actually do it. In reality the only difference would be the addition of cheese, butter etc. and the ability to stuff myself with sweets and cakes easily! Which is stupid because I can bake some awesome vegan goodies. Maybe I just need to do that to get me over this slump!

I've just been to the supermarket and got some different veggies to go in a stir fry (with a different sauce to try too) and some rice noodles. And also some sweet potato, butternut squash and potato wedges to roast to go with a spicy bean burger in pitta bread. Also picked up some veggie haggis to have with neeps and tatties! Also got some lovely salad. So that should see me through the week (will be eating out tomorrow) and I can try and go through the recipe section of the site and get some ideas for the weekend/following week.

To be honest I think it's something to do with the time of year. I kinda went through a similiar thing last year too, which actually resulted in me going back to vegetarian for 24hrs (couldn't last any longer than that- you'd think I'd learn. Sometimes the grass seems greener when it really isn't.)

cobweb

oh yeah haggis and neeps
    Last edited by cobweb; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Quote hullabaloo View Post
    To be honest I think it's just the temptation of being able to pick up convenience foods in the supermarket.
    I usually find that ready meals/convenience foods usually taste awful anyway...........whether they are vegetarian, vegan or for meat eaters!

There are some vegan convenience foods you can buy though like vegetable spring rolls or vegetable samosas (always check ingredients).........or Tesco's Bubble and squeak is lovely!

I don't think vegetarians or meat eaters have any more choice in food than vegans do. They just have to mix and match their food just like us and put sauces/flavourings on it to make it taste better/different.

Just think of what you'd like to eat and if it isn't already vegan..............make it vegan!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

sandra just had a good idea there, bubble & squeak made from left over mash and some veg (carrots, cabbage, sprouts etc), fry it up with some vegan rashers chopped up in it or on the side with baked beans - lovely!

brushetta (ciabatta slices with chopped toms & red onion ontop) is nice.

roast veg (courgette, parsnip, toms, peppers etc) sprinkle with a spice mix (cajun, chinese 5 spice, bay seasoning) & served with couscous with stuff in it (chickpeas, spring onion etc).

soften some aubergine slices in a fry pan, put a slice of melting mozzarella in each slice, a basil leaf & a dollop of vegan pesto. roll up, put in a roasting pan, pour over jarred or simple tom sauce made with canned toms, onion & garlic,top with extra grated mozz and roast in oven for 25mins.

I'm in the same situation. I eat the same thing everyday which usually goes: oatmeal w/ fruit, popcorn, salad, and lentil soup. Not nearly as nutritious or healthy as I used to eat. I hate cooking and I don't care for snack/ convenience foods... I think I just have to learn to take more than 5 minutes to make my meals.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I know what you mean. Sometimes I find it difficult to know what to eat, but it helps if I plan ahead. I must admit I resort to pasta if I can't find anything else in the house (mainly because my OH is gluten free, so I don't tend to have bread around, or else I'd live on peanut butter on toast!) I like creating things out of quinoa or rice with veggies. Also I try to make interesting things with tofu: scrambled, baked, fried, or even raw as a fake egg salad.

I find lots of tasty ideas in Sarah Kramer's books (La Dolce Vegan really inspired me). I also find recipes on the Post Punk Kitchen website. Saying that, I've just had a tin of bombay potato with poppadums and rice for my dinner - convenience food alert!!

Hi Hullabaloo (love your name!)

Here is a fast and simple recipe I learned from my mother-in-law, who learned it from our family friend, is a "gourmet foodie". It is called "African Peanut Stew" but don't let that fool you it's not spicy at all. Also -don't let the ingredients fool you - the tomato/peanut flavour is a wonderful combination that many do not know about.

I will give you the recipe as I originally learned it:
    Equal parts tomato and onion

Peanut butter to taste
    Salt, Pepper
    (oil, for sautéing)

"Equal parts" means you can make it in any quantity you want. So, a cup of chopped tomato to a cup of chopped onion, etc.

Preparation:
    Chop tomatoes and onions coarsely. In a medium-hot deep pot, sauté onions until translucent. Add tomatoes and bring juices to a boil, and then lower heat down to a minimal simmer. When tomatoes are tender and falling apart, about 30-45 minutes, add a dollop of peanut butter and stir well to combine. Finish with salt and pepper. Serve.

Now, in reality, over time my recipe has become:
    2 cups chopped onion
    3 cups chopped tomatoes
    1 cup veg broth
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
    Chopped tofu, 1 block

The directions are the same, chop, cook and simmer, and add the tofu. At the end spoon in the peanut butter and serve on brown rice. Everyone who has ever tried it, loves it.

Cheers!
    Jasmin

Do you like Pad Thai?

I can't remember my recipe off the top of my head but it is VERY VERY easy to make, and easily Vegan. A quick google search should yield good results.

FYI.
    Jasmin

Our list of regular foods is a bit like yours although you can ring the changes by altering the veg that you put in and the herbs etc that you use to flavour it so I don't usually find it too same-y. We get a veg box delivered and it forces you to eat a load of different veg rather than keeping on going and buying the same stuff.

Sometimes I use things like bought pastry (filo or puff) or flour tortillas to wrap things in for a change - possibly not the most nutritious options but it makes a change and is quick!

Although I am not all that keen on fake meats and cheese I do use them sometimes when I fancy a change without a lot of messing around - for example frankfurter-type sausages with braised red cabbage and spuds is a nice thing to have in winter.

Rissoto is always very nice and easy to make.... I have mushroom rissoto about once a week or so... pumkin risotto is also nice

Lasagna is also a good way to make pasta interesting.

And of course, now and again some sausages/tofu steaks etc for convenience and to make life easy as Harpy said

I dont think your diet sounds boring, maybe you just need to add more desserts to the equation?!

Thanks guys. jasminschade thanks for the recipe, I'll certainly give it a try. I have never had pad thai before so no idea as to whether I'd like it.
    I think desserts are something I definitely need to introduce more of! I stopped by the co-op and bought an apple pie and some mince pies so that sorts that out

This week so far I have had:

Salad tortilla wraps for lunches.
    A bean burger in pitta bread with potato wedges, asparagus and roasted butternut squash and sweet potato.
    Ratatouille with rice.
    Vegetable spring rolls with potato wedges and veg.
    Haggis neeps and tatties.
    And I am going to have a vegetable rice dish tomorrow.

A little bit different at least

Quote hullabaloo View Post
    Salad tortilla wraps for lunches.
    Yay for salad tortilla wraps! (from another fan )

jasminschade, your African Peanut Stew sounds delish - will definitely be giving that a go soon!

I'm also in a bit of a food rut, so I went on our local library catalogue and got a list of all the veggie cookbooks (not many vegan ones...) with the word "easy" in them, and asked the librarian to reserve them for me.
    So hopefully soon I will be adding a few new regulars to my menus.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Sounds as if you're extending your repertoire successfully, hullabaloo!

Ratatouille is a good thing to have in autumn. We often seem to have some of the ingredients in our box but not all; however there are such things as shops so I should do it more. I sometimes add chickpeas - not traditional, but tasty.

Buddha Belly

Me and Helen have started to do meal plans before we go shopping for the week. We spend less and look through all our recipe books (about 30 vegan ones!) and decide what we will have. We hardly have 'crap' kicking about so rarely deviate from the plan. We have found lots of new favs' to eat and we have been eating more Greens, Kale and spinach as a happy result of even planning the sides to main 'bits'. I think our one works as we have invested in a whole range of herbs and spices and basic bits. It is definately worth forking out for a very good vegan recipe book and even trawling the web for vegan recipe's throughs up some inspiring stuff. As omnis we had about 10 regular meals that we used to have, as vegans we have 30 at least. A good one is skin and avacado and cut in half,Blend 1 tin tomatoes, clove of garlic, two teaspoons of basil,Add a teaspoon of cornflower then pour on the avacados.Place them in the oven for 20 mins at 180o and serve with rice that has been cooked for the last few mins with frozen sweetcorn and peas. Not joking 15mins to prep and make, including washing up. With greens/ kale etc. Good side dish. Always cut twice as much veg as you think as it shrinks quite fast. Good way to get a lot of veg in a small space. sautee onions, garlic and ginger.When browned slightly mix in a tbs of balsamic vinegar, 1tbs soy sauce and then place the green on top. Pop the lid on and stirevery 2 mins. Cook it until the greens are soft enough for you to eat.