Thread: Need Milk Sub that won't curdle

Default Need Milk Sub that won't curdle

I am desperately trying to find out what milk substitute won't curdle when cooked at high temperatures. I have 2 recipes I want to make that call for milk and have tried using soy milk. Both require cooking (one even to be kept boiling for a while) in pots and I've found that soy milk curdles. I found a couple of sites that do confirm that soy milk will do that, but neither one told me what milk sub TO use!

I want to make one of these recipes tomorrow and don't know what to buy.

Also, that same recipe calls for 2 egg yolks. I know there is some kind of egg sub that is called Ener-e-egg or something like that. LOL. However, I don't know if that would be suitable since it is to replace a whole egg and my recipe only calls for egg yolks.

Can anyone help me?

Btw, I am brand new here and brand new to being vegan. I only have been for about 2 months and am still slipping up sometimes. I find myself consuming animal products when I never even realized that animal products was IN something I used! I've got a lot to learn. I don't know of any vegans or even any vegetarians in my area and my roommate is a meat eater. So, I am thrilled to have found this place am looking forward to learning from all of you and just being able to talk with others who are of the same mindset.

So, hello! Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Default Re: Need Milk Sub that won't curdle

Welcome to VF Jasbi.

I don't have any recipe advice but there are loads of good cooks here who have done various experiments to veganise dishes so I'm sure someone will be able to help soon!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Hello - I'm not one of those good cooks but I do cook a bit, and I would say water often works where milk is called for in a recipe, so that might be your safest bet as it never curdles Rice milk might be OK too.

Can you tell what the function of the egg yolk is in the recipe? Is it to bind the other ingredients together, in which case you could probably manage with something like veg. margarine instead, though it doesn't have quite the same gluey properties. If it's just to enrich something like pastry you can probably leave it out with no problems.

glovesforfoxes

A good substitute for eggs in baking etc are bananas, they bind quite well. Also, ground flaxseed. This website is very helpful:

http://www.theppk.com/veganbaking.html

You could also use almond milk or oat milk (oatly is pretty scrummy!) as a replacement, which will not curdle.

Thanks!

Well, the dish I want to make the soonest, is a fruit nut salad my mother used to make. But she made the sauce (very sweet/tangy) from scratch. The sauce is flour, milk, 2 egg yolks, vinegar, and sugar that you heat on the stove, stirring constantly so it won't scorch, until it thickens. I"ve never been a cook at all so I don't really know the purpose the egg yolks serve in the dish nor why it is supposed to be the yolks only and not the whole eggs. Then remove it from heat, let cool, and then mix with the other ingrediants. In this case, raisins, cubed apples, and crushed pecans. Its really good but you have to love vinegar to like it. No, that's not right. You must have a passionate love affair with vinegar!!! LOL. Its kind of an acquired taste. I've made it in the past before going vegan and taken it to social functions and not one person has EVER liked it outside of my own family. But, its home to me.

I also make no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies that you have to boil the ingrediants for a few minutes that calls for cocoa (carob in my case), sugar, butter, and milk. I'm not sure what to use for milk in that case either.

With the fruit nut salad, you don't boil it, but it does simmer at low/medium heat for a long enough time to thicken.

glovesforfoxes

Another problem is the acidity of the vinegar, I would guess. I have a friend at University doing Food Science; I can ask him to ask a lecturer if you'd like? They should know their milks and what will work in that recipe.

Sounds an interesting dish. I bet water would work instead of the milk, and anyway it sounds as if you wouldn't taste the difference because of the vinegar If it's a sauce then the egg yolks might just be to thicken it, which you are probably doing with the flour, so I would be tempted just to try it without - or you could try substituting a small amount of mashed potato. I sometimes use that to thicken soups and it works fine.

I guess if it's just the sauce you can experiment a bit and not introduce the sauce to the rest of the dish until you're happy with the result!

You could also try adding a bit of corn starch to thicken it.

RubyDuby

^ yes, what she said. the ener-G egg replacer is basically corn starch.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.