Thread: GM crop sceptics 'emotional', Government food watchdog report claims

Default GM crop sceptics 'emotional', Government food watchdog report claims

Public opposition to genetically modified food is based on “emotion” rather than “reason”, a Food Standards Agency report which will help shape future Government policy claims.

The study published as the Government embarks on a major review of the current restrictions on GM crops, suggests opponents are motivated by “ideological” considerations while others take a “pragmatic” line.

It portrays those against the controversial technology as being sceptical about science in general, relying on “emotive language” to make their case, often drawn from “popular press slogans”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...rt-claims.html
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

leedsveg

Default Re: GM crop sceptics 'emotional', Government food watchdog report claims

Yeh, when I find out that the tomatoes I'm eating are contaminated with fish genes, I'll probably get silly and 'emotional'....

lv

glovesforfoxes

Default Re: GM crop sceptics 'emotional', Government food watchdog report claims

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with GM crops? Haven't we been genetically modifying crops for.. well, since agriculture began?

One possible objection is that the change is faster than that produced by selective breeding - so a harmful organism could get "out there" before its potential harm is realised, e.g. a plant that is designed to resist insect "pests" could damage other insects such as bees, and it could interbreed with other plants quickly so that its spread couldn't be controlled. A specifically vegan objection is that the GM process sometimes involves use of animals, e.g. putting flounder genes in tomatoes.

Here's a debate that looks at some pros and cons

http://www.nature.com/nature/debates..._frameset.html

Not recent, but still interesting I think.