Thread: Vegan Cheese

Default Vegan Cheese

I just picked up Joanne Stepaniak's book (The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook) recently. Vegan cheese tends to be very expensive in the health food stores so I was looking for ways to make my own, however, in her book allot of the recipes call for the use of Agar flakes. I picked up a pack of Agar today. All of 11 tablespoons cost me almost $8.00!! Very expensive. It's enough to make two batches of her cheese recipes, but still expensive by the time I add all my other ingredients (such as cashews and nutritional yeast etc..)

I'm looking for Vegan cheese recipes that will go well on top of pizza or casseroles (I like that melty look), however, I don't want to break the bank and I refuse to sacrifice taste. Am I being too greedy here by asking for too much or are there any alternatives out there? If anyone has any good recipes I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. My favorite is cheddar by the way!

Thanks!!
    Jenny
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

RubyDuby

Default Re: Vegan Cheese

Have you tried follow your heart vegan gourmet cheddar? It is around $5 for a block, about even with dairy cheddar.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Have you tried follow your heart vegan gourmet cheddar? It is around $5 for a block, about even with dairy cheddar.
    I've seen it at the coop, but it's much higher there and a very small block size.
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    That's not too bad price-wise. Is this easy to find at say Whole Foods? I'd love to find a mozzarella for pizzas.

RubyDuby

whole foods should definitely have it.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

That's all good, but what I am actually looking for here is a "recipe" to make my own. It is very expensive to buy it at our co-op here, so that is not an option for me.

I would experiment with some of the other Stepaniak recipes, then, Jenny - it's a while since I used her book but I don't think they all need agar. I remember making a fondu type one that didn't include agar, but was oat-based if I remember correctly - maybe something like that could be adapted.

There is an agar-less mozzarella-alike recipe here,
    http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/condi...zarella-cheese - sounds interesting.