Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan chocolate recipes

Default Favorite vegan chocolate recipes

Does anyone out there have any favorite Vegan chocolate recipes? I'm missing chocolate terribly because it's not Vegan and would love to find an alternative.

Thanks,
    Jenny
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

RubyDuby

Default Re: Favorite Vegan chocolate

chocolate is vegan, it's the milk that isn't.

Green & Blacks, Maya Gold, Ritter Sport and Endangered Species bars all come in vegan dark chocolate varieties. They are quite expensive, so if you're just looking for a quick cheap chocolate fix I would recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet baking chocolate. Just, obviously, read the ingredients.

eta: many brownie mixes are vegan. Just add a banana instead of the egg and you're good to go. I actually add apple sauce instead of oil or butter too and I think they actually turn out better that way.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I don't mind if it's expensive.. I still want it! I guess it's funny in a way that I'm not willing to pay premium dollars for vegan cheese, which is why I've opted to make it myself, but I'm willing to pay good money for vegan chocolate!? Priorities!!!
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

I love love love Organica Faux Milk Chocolate bars, as sold on the veganstore.co.uk.

Endangered Species Mint (or Raspberry) Dark Chocolate.

I have to give them to my son (he hates chocolate - heretic!) to hide them from me or else I will scarf it down within a nano-second.

Lindt 70%, 85%, 90% and 99% dark chocolate are all vegan. Especially the latter is divine!
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

^ mmmm 99% is yum! I first found it in france and had great difficulty finding it in England, but I've found it now so I'm well chuffed

Buddha Belly

Mine is the Organica white rice milk bar. Sweet and sickly in excess but really nice.

helen105281

I love the organica milk couverture bar too

RubyDuby

Quote shellymi2nv View Post
    Endangered Species Mint (or Raspberry) Dark Chocolate.

I have to give them to my son (he hates chocolate - heretic!) to hide them from me or else I will scarf it down within a nano-second.
    blueberry for me!

Any good chocolate recipes?

Quote jennyfedei View Post
    Any good chocolate recipes?
    My favorite:

RAW CHOCOLATE RECIPE

1. Lay chocolate on counter.
    2. Open wrapper.
    3. Divide chocolate into pieces.
    4. Insert one chocolate piece into mouth.
    5. Savor for 5 minutes.
    6. Repeat until chocolate has disappeared.
    7. Toss (or recycle) wrapper.

Serves 1. Don't worry about calorie/nutrition nonsense.

Hotel Chocolat do a Praline Bar which is Vegan. It is expensive, but worth every penny.

I don't understand Hotel Chocolat.

Their products are OK, but pricing phenomenal. I've not yet tasted anything from there that I've actually thought to worth anywhere near the price they charge.

Their standard dark chocolate works out at £6 per 100g and tastes less good (imho) than divine which is fair trace and costs 89p per 100g
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Divine has become more expensive than that recently Mr.F. It went up in price rapidly from 89p for 100g to £1.39 per 100g.

Personaly, I quite like divine over other thinks but the hipo hyfryd truffles yummy.
    http://www.hipohyfryd.co.uk/

I really rather want to try these..
    http://www.hipohyfryd.co.uk/chocolat...le_white_4.php

However they are a bit pricey!

Booja Boojas chocolate truffles are where its at. They are a bit more costly than other chocolate, but it is so worth it

Last xmas various people all bought me boxes of them, best Christmas ever *drool* I can't go leave anywhere that sells them without getting a couple of boxes

Plamil chocolate is pretty good too, especially the orange and mint flavours..

I tend to avoid chocolate from companies that are not 100% vegan because their product will be contaminated with milk.

(Last year there was a whole outcry thing with green & blacks and the vegan society. When milk & dark chocolate share a production line; the contamination of milk in dark chocolate is so high that it has to be listed as an ingredient & on the allergy info. But as its contamination rather than a deliberate ingredient the VS are fine with it - they want more ££££ selling trademarks & more availability of vegan items - green & blacks didn't agree and stopped putting that it was vegan on the labels. 100% vegan companies felt annoyed that this was an erosion of the vegan society and also that it gave no incentive to make stuff 100% vegan.. Its why Plamil don't use the VS trademark anymore.)

Has anyone tried the chocolate making kits from here: http://www.sweetsensations.uk.com/ ?

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I don't understand Hotel Chocolat.

Their products are OK, but pricing phenomenal. I've not yet tasted anything from there that I've actually thought to worth anywhere near the price they charge.

Their standard dark chocolate works out at £6 per 100g and tastes less good (imho) than divine which is fair trace and costs 89p per 100g
    The normal chocolate I'd agree is pretty far from spectacular, these praline things though... They do a huge one but I'm trying to resist the purchase.

JC

Quote aubergine View Post
    The normal chocolate I'd agree is pretty far from spectacular, these praline things though... They do a huge one but I'm trying to resist the purchase.
    I think i got given that last year for Christmas. Well, it was H.C, like a big praline log, right? It was gooooooooood. And i got the chocolate smudge too which was also yummo.

But my favourite chocolate is actually the cheapest. I love love love the Humdinger (Sweet William) chocolate buttons. You can buy them in Tesco for like 38p and it's fab for when you just want a little something chocolatey.

At the moment its these Bendicks Bitters

http://www.bendicks.co.uk/our-delici...e-bitters.html

currently on offer at 99p a tube in Morrisons...bargain!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    At the moment its these Bendicks Bitters

http://www.bendicks.co.uk/our-delici...e-bitters.html

currently on offer at 99p a tube in Morrisons...bargain!!
    Hello those sound rather nice! Shame I dont have a Morrisons to hand wonder if other shops stock these will look out for those:smile:

^They're amazing! Yum yum.

I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I love Cocolo's mint crisp (http://cocolo.com.au/). I can't bring myself to eat non-fairtrade chocolate, I feel too guilty about it (much like non-vegan food, I guess).
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

the co-op over here stock an amazing vegan chocolate that is the nicest once i've had - it's really good for making chocolate icing from too. i can't remember the brand, but i'll have a look next time i'm in so you can see if it's available in the states.

does anyone else know? it's the thin black packet with the pink, green and purple cirlces on the front.

amanda

^That's by Kinnerton.

(pink orange green and purple..don't forget the orange circle)..

*stuffs a square in..*

lidl do some by default vegan chocolate. j.d gross..num num num ecuador 70% with blueberry is pretty nomscious. other fruity flavours and cocoa solids percentage are available
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

my fav choc is ritter sport marzipan but i get trouble finding any around these welsh valleys, so i opt for holland and barret (well they sell it there not sure if it's their own brand - don't care either lol) marzipan choc bars, red & orange wrappers are the best....

I tried the sugar free Plamil alternative to milk chocolate and thought it was horrible, not much taste and didn't melt in the mouth like dark chocolate

^the orange plamil is quite tolerable dukkagirl..especially at room temp
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote applepie View Post
    Lindt 70%, 85%, 90% and 99% dark chocolate are all vegan. Especially the latter is divine!
    i am certain that these are not vegan. well, they aren't here in nz. i read on the back of the block several times that the chocolate is made in a factory that also handles milk, therefore not vegan. same goes for maya gold.

lindt: http://www.greenandblacks.com/anz/in...rch_highlight1

maya gold: http://www.vegsoc.org.au/product_list.asp?ProductID=103

the only vegan chocolate down here is by 'sweet william' and the white block is just divine!
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

Quote nn View Post
    i am certain that these are not vegan. well, they aren't here in nz. i read on the back of the block several times that the chocolate is made in a factory that also handles milk, therefore not vegan. same goes for maya gold.
    I count that as vegan. It's like how vege chips (http://www.ajitas.com/index.php) make a cheese flavour, but all the other ones are vegan. I guess people differ about these things!

Quote buttons View Post
    I count that as vegan. It's like how vege chips (http://www.ajitas.com/index.php) make a cheese flavour, but all the other ones are vegan. I guess people differ about these things!
    it is not a matter of opinion. if the producers equipment handles milk on the same line that makes the chocolate you call vegan how can you feel comfortable w knowing that? there's a very high (70% 85% or even 99% perhaps?) chance of contamination and so it is definitely not vegan. i'm staunch on this b/c as a vegan i do not want to support a manufacturer that exploits animals in their other products.

sorry to rain on your parade but you should know the truth.

here it is from the horses mouth: http://www.greenandblacks.com/anz/in...rch_highlight1
    Last edited by nn; Jan 13th, 2010 at 08:22 AM.

There are different schools of thought on the cross-contamination issue, nn - if you search the forum you will find quite a lot of related discussions such as this one:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21177

Some people are like you and see buying cross-contaminated stuff as supporting non-vegan manufacturers, others see it as encouraging them to make more vegan products, and there are no doubt other opinions as well

Personally, I will buy sometimes stuff with a cross-contamination warning, but to me Green and Black's is a special case because they have changed their (UK) labelling in a way that makes it impossible to tell if they introduce dairy produce as an actual ingredient in future. That is discussed in this thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19651

Quote nn View Post
    it is not a matter of opinion. if the producers equipment handles milk on the same line that makes the chocolate you call vegan how can you feel comfortable w knowing that? there's a very high (70% 85% or even 99% perhaps?) chance of contamination and so it is definitely not vegan. i'm staunch on this b/c as a vegan i do not want to support a manufacturer that exploits animals in their other products.

sorry to rain on your parade but you should know the truth.
    As I am rather adept at reading labels, I am aware of "the truth."

I feel comfortable eating these vegan products because the potentially non-vegan trace amounts are not involved in the production of the products I do eat.

Just as the success of Green and Black's (a Cadbury's subsidiary) has helped Cadbury realise the market share potential of fair-trade chocolate, buying vegan products from a non-100% vegan company shows companies the potential profit that could come from catering to vegans. That is, of course, my opinion.

I don't mean to be a jive turkey myself, but dressing up opinion as stone-tablet fact is a mug's game.
    Last edited by buttons; Jan 13th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Quote harpy View Post
    There are different schools of thought on the cross-contamination issue, nn.

Some people are like you and see buying cross-contaminated stuff as supporting non-vegan manufacturers, others see it as encouraging them to make more vegan products, and there are no doubt other opinions as well
    thanks for that, harpy.

it is interesting that the people behind certain labels should beat around the bush with what they decide to tell us with their packaging, anything to make another dollar! at least with manufacturers like sweet william they are clear and honest about all production so i can enjoy their chocolate without fretting.

Heh, it's kind of funny - I stopped eating G&B because a) I switched to 100% fair-trade brands, and b) I didn't appreciate the labelling change, as I took it to mean a non-vegan company decided to take it upon themselves to determine what "vegan" means. Much better we argue amongst ourselves, eh, nn?

Quote buttons View Post
    Just as the success of Green and Black's (a Cadbury's subsidiary) has helped Cadbury realise the market share potential of fair-trade chocolate, buying vegan products from a non-100% vegan company shows companies the potential profit that could come from catering to vegans. That is, of course, my opinion.
    exactly. cadbury's main motivation for catering for other people (those who believe in fair trade and vegan values) is money. this is the same reason the all animal food/clothing/entertainment industries exist!! money in itself is corruptive and the fact they use milk and milk products in their other merchandise is contradictory to them supplying "vegan" chocolate.

i just don't understand how anyone can support that. can someone fill me in??

When I started this thread, I was actually looking for "recipes", such as chocolate cake, cookies, pies, etc.. etc... not for manufactured chocolates.... Any takers out there?? I would love to find a good recipe for brownies!!! Yum!!!

Default orgasmic chocolate self saucing pudding

This is a recipe from another forum that I've made a few times though not recently. I seem to remember that it's pretty fool-proof (must be if I managed it as I'm not very good at puddings). I'm sure there are brownie recipes out there.

orgasmic chocolate self saucing pudding
    Title says it all really! I made it last night- it's *so* easy.

1 cup Self raising Flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1/2 cup of soy milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    30gm margarine

Saucy bit
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cup hot water

Sift flour, sugar & cocoa into a bowl.
    Make a well in the centre.
    Gradually stir in milk, vanilla & melted margarine.
    Beat until smooth with a wooden spoon.
    Pour into a lightly greased oven proof dish. *

Sift brown sugar & cocoa together.
    Now sift again evenly covering the top of the pudding mixture.
    Carefully pour hot water evenly over the top of the pudding.
    Bake in a moderate oven ** for 50 mins, until pudding feels firm to the
    touch.

* needs to be about 2 litre capacity dish
    ** I used gas mark 4

If you want to make it caramel pudding:
    Omit the cocoa from the recipe, substitute brown sugar for the 3/4 cup of
    sugar & substitute the cocoa in the saucy bit for 1 tablespoon of
    cornflour.

Quote nn View Post
    i just don't understand how anyone can support that. can someone fill me in??
    There probably are people who would like to discuss that topic even though we've given it a good going-over before but it might be better to post your question/challenge in one of the existing threads, or start a new one, so as not to hijack Jenny's recipe thread

RubyDuby

When I started this thread, I was actually looking for "recipes", such as chocolate cake, cookies, pies, etc.. etc... not for manufactured chocolates.... Any takers out there?? I would love to find a good recipe for brownies!!! Yum!!!
    oops! sorry, I thought you wanted chocolate recipes... like how to make your own chocolate bars or something. I don't think anybody really understood. these threads tend to kind of turn into whatever other people make of them. I wish i had a recipe now... not much of a baker. Hopefully this will get back on track now that you've explained!

Default Re: orgasmic chocolate self saucing pudding

Quote harpy View Post
    This is a recipe from another forum that I've made a few times though not recently. I seem to remember that it's pretty fool-proof (must be if I managed it as I'm not very good at puddings). I'm sure there are brownie recipes out there.

Title says it all really! I made it last night- it's *so* easy.

1 cup Self raising Flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1/2 cup of soy milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    30gm margarine

Saucy bit
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cup hot water

Sift flour, sugar & cocoa into a bowl.
    Make a well in the centre.
    Gradually stir in milk, vanilla & melted margarine.
    Beat until smooth with a wooden spoon.
    Pour into a lightly greased oven proof dish. *

Sift brown sugar & cocoa together.
    Now sift again evenly covering the top of the pudding mixture.
    Carefully pour hot water evenly over the top of the pudding.
    Bake in a moderate oven ** for 50 mins, until pudding feels firm to the
    touch.

* needs to be about 2 litre capacity dish
    ** I used gas mark 4

If you want to make it caramel pudding:
    Omit the cocoa from the recipe, substitute brown sugar for the 3/4 cup of
    sugar & substitute the cocoa in the saucy bit for 1 tablespoon of
    cornflour.

That sounds like something I could make! I'm not very daft at baking myself, I found some great vegan chocolate chips at our coop, but was hoping to find a good brownie type mix that I could toss them in with. I'll have to keep searching out there on the net until I find one, or maybe take the plunge and try and make my own. Some people have the knack of pulling together meals and foods without following a recipe. Whenever I try that it usually turns into a disaster!

I'm in the mood to bake something chocolate.

Thanks!
    Jenny

Oops! Sorry. Allow me to make amends with this recipe page (carob can be subbed with cocoa) http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php...p%20Cheesecake

There are more slices and such down the page.

I found some great vegan chocolate chips at our coop, but was hoping to find a good brownie type mix that I could toss them in with. I'll have to keep searching out there on the net until I find one, or maybe take the plunge and try and make my own.
    Making brownies from scratch sounds relatively uncomplicated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...es_83803.shtml

...though you might do better finding an American recipe so you don't have to convert/translate things

If you haven't already, you need to check out the Twilight, Jokerz and Buccaneer bars on veganstore.co.uk. I never thought it was possible to get that sort of creamy taste without the milk. It's the only vegan chocolate I like.

Hi Tofu Monkey- I have seen those, they do look good. I might order them before my next hiking trip!

Quote harpy View Post
    Title says it all really! ...
    How much sauce are we talking about? Is it moist like a lemon drizzle cake or is the a substantial run-off of sauce? and how easy is it to get out of the pan? It sound like it might be a nice thing I could make and take to work (since my housemate is on a diet... don't want to have to eat an entire one myself!)
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Favorite vegan chocolate

Please say it's 'sunstantial run-off sauce' My Dad used to make an amazing chocolate pudding like that but the recipe isn't very veganisable and I've never figured out how to make one.

I quite like the dairy free range. to be honest, I've not tried any other kinds!

(Cherry, I love your website lol!!)
    "Shall we get a pig for the shop? Do we need one?!"

Sorry, Twinkle and Cherry, I've only just seen your comments. As far as I can remember it did produce quite a substantial amount of sauce - the sauce and the pud miraculously separate themselves during the cooking process. So it might not be too portable, Twinkle, unfortunately.

I ought to try making it again myself although I'm not sure I need fattening up at the moment