Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meat and cancer

Default Meat and cancer

Red meat and cold cuts linked to colorectal cancer
    Wednesday, January 12, 2005
    BY ANGELA STEWART
    Star-Ledger Staff
    In the mood for a big, juicy steak? You may not want to make it a habit.

According to a study released today in the Journal of the American Medical Association, eating red and processed meats daily over a number of years could increase the risk of colorectal cancer by as much as 30 to 50 percent.

The study, conducted over a 10-year period by the American Cancer Society, adds substantially to previous scientific evidence linking high consumption of red and processed meats to intestinal cancer. With nearly 150,000 adults participating in the research, it is one of the largest and most comprehensive studies on meat consumption ever undertaken.

"This important study is suggesting that we think very carefully about our diet, but it certainly should not be interpreted as a condemnation of red meat consumption as a whole," said Alfred Ashford, chief medical officer for the society's New Jersey and New York office, who admits even he "occasionally" indulges.

Ashford, a medical oncologist, said people should limit their portion size and choose leaner cuts of red meat, in addition to eating more fish, poultry and fruits and vegetables.

"We do make the assumption that if you modify your behavior you will reduce your risk," said Eugenia E. Calle, senior author of the study and the society's national director of analytic epidemiology.

Calle and her co-authors describe "high" consumption of red meat for men as eating at least three ounces daily over 10 years, a portion equal to a large fast-food burger. For a woman, the amount is two ounces per day over the same time period.

High consumption of processed meat for men was described as at least one ounce per day -- equal to a slice of bologna -- five to six days per week. For women, it would be two to three days per week.

Nicholas Scardigno, 50, owner of Scardigno's Prime Meats in Belleville, said he is in "perfect health," noting he eats not only red meat, but fish, as well as vegetables. He said the same goes for his grandmother, who is now 100 years old and his wife's grandmother, who is 106.

"People's health history is based on the foundation. It starts from the moment you are born and is based on how you eat overall during the course of your entire life," Sacrdigno said yesterday as he served up roast beef and other deli sandwiches for lunchtime customers.

His motto in life: Too much of anything can be bad for you, pointing to fast food as the real culprit here.

The study was based on information reported on meat consumption by 148,610 adults ages 50 to 74 residing in 21 states, including New Jersey. The information was provided to researchers in 1982 and again in 1992-93 while the participants were enrolled in a large cancer prevention trial.

It found that participants who were eating the most red meat at both the beginning and end point of the study were 30 percent more likely to develop cancer in the portion of the colon that attaches to the rectum. Those who ate the most processed meat were 50 percent more likely to develop colon cancer at that site. Overall, men in the study tended to eat higher amounts of red meat than women did.

In addition, the study found that long-term high intake of poultry and fish was associated with overall lower risk of colon cancer, but only marginally.

Colon cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in the United States, killing nearly 56,000 persons per year.

In New Jersey, roughly 4,770 new cases of colon cancer are expected to be diagnosed this year, resulting in 1,840 deaths.

Robert Schechner, 61, a Morristown businessman, learned through a screening test that he had colon cancer almost five years ago. Although he actually had started cutting back on red meat in the late 1970s, Schechner believes his childhood diet may have played a part in his disease.

"My dear sweet, mom served red meat six nights a week. It was chops or some kind of beef or roast," he said.

"Fortunately, substituting pistachio-encrusted salmon and gingered brown basmati pilaf for roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy is not a culinary sacrifice," wrote Walter Willett, from Harvard's School of Public Health, in an editorial accompanying the study.

Angela Stewart writes about health care. She can be reached at astewart@starledger.com or (973) 392-4178.

Thanks feline!
    I wonder what the statistics are for vegetarians that eat a lot of processed food? I thought I saw a few articles about that a while ago. They were not that much healthier than those who ate animals if I remember correctly.

Of course the article doesn't say that eating no meat is best, just to cut down on red meat. Starting my new lower soy-consumption meal planning, I made an excellent white bean veggie chowder last night for dinner. Created the recipe myself. And I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday etc...

Do you ever throw away left-overs feline01? We had a little discussion at the pool the other day, and one guy said that he could never throw any food away, but had to eat it whatever was left. The general consensus was that if he wanted to be a garbage bin, that was his prerogative. But I do understand, and said so, that after being brought up to never waste anything, it took me a long time to get to the point where I prefer to throw away something rather than eat it just for the sake of not wasting!
    Eve

I try not to throw out leftovers.....but sometimes I just cannot bring myself to eat it. For example, if the left-over salad is soggy and gross, I would rather throw it away than eat it.

My boyfriend however, was brought up similar to you Eve. He won't throw anything out because it's "wasting" it. This, I believe, is part of the reason he struggles with a weight issue.

With me, it's more about time. I don't have alot of time for meal preparation and no money right now so I tend to make one large pot of something like soup, chili etc. to last a few days for lunches at work. Believe me, after 3 days or so, I'm pretty sick of whatever I had made but I have to be practical right now.

We don't contribute to the death of all the 'Babes' - Animals Australia's campaign, 'Save Babe' is still underway - see http://www.savebabe.com/
    Eve

Default Pig Explains Why Meat is Bad for Humans

Found this video and just wanted to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q&search=vegan

Default Re: Pig Explains Why Meat is Bad for Humans

Bizarro is great! Thanks for sharing the vid!

Default Meat and Bladder Cancer

Any vegans out there that have successfully fought off cancer of any kind? Did anything work for you?

I know a lady that eats a raw food diet and that seems to be keeping her cancer at bay, God bless her.

Please also look at the second study below - Dairy Products May Increase Testicular Cancer Risk.

Bacon and Skinless Chicken Associated With Bladder Cancer

A new study from the Harvard School of Public Health finds that meat—including chicken—intake is associated with an increased risk for bladder cancer. A data analysis of 47,422 men from the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and 88,471 women from the Nurse’s Health Study showed that individuals consuming more than five servings of bacon each week had a 59 percent increased risk for bladder cancer compared with those who ate no bacon. Additionally, those who ate more than five servings of chicken without skin each week had a 52 percent increase in bladder cancer risk compared with those who ate none. Researchers hypothesize that nitrosamines, heterocyclic amines (known carcinogens), or both may play a role.
    Michaud DS, Holick CN, Giovannucci E, Stampfer MJ. Meat intake and bladder cancer risk in 2 prospective cohort studies. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:1177-1183.
    For information about nutrition and health, please visit http://www.pcrm.org/.

Dairy Products May Increase Testicular Cancer Risk

A new study from Germany shows that dairy product consumption may increase the risk of testicular cancer. Researchers at the University of Halle-Wittenberg tracked dietary contributors to testicular cancer among 269 men with cancer and 797 control subjects. The risk for testicular cancer was increased by 37 percent for those who consumed at least 20 servings of milk per month. The researchers hypothesize that increased galactose (a component of lactose, the milk sugar) and milk fat may explain the association between dairy product consumption and cancer.
    Stang A, Ahrens W, Baumgardt-Elms C, et al. Adolescent Milk Fat and Galactose Consumption and Testicular Germ Cell Cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006;15(11):2189-2195.
    For information about nutrition and health, please visit http://www.pcrm.org/.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Red Meat 'Linked To Breast Cancer'

Red meat 'linked to breast cancer'

ITN - Wednesday, April 4

Red meat can greatly increase the risk of breast cancer, according to a report.

The study found post-menopausal women who eat large amounts a day could be 64 per cent more likely to suffer the disease. There is also an increased chance in younger females who have small amounts of beef, pork or lamb daily.

The study, led by Professor Janet Cade of the University of Leeds, involved studying the diets of 35,000 women aged between 35 and 69 for eight years.
    The research states: "Women, both pre and post-menopausal, who consumed the most meat had the highest risk of breast cancer.

"Women generally consuming most total meat, red and processed meat were at the highest increased risk compared with non-meat consumers." The women completed 217-item food questionnaires and were divided into three groups depending on whether they were low, medium or high meat-eaters.
    They were compared with women in the study who were vegetarian and researchers also took into account smoking, weight, fruit and vegetable intake, education, age and use of hormone replacement therapy.

Prof Cade said: "The findings are robust. Whatever we adjusted the data for we could find an association. "Really these results could apply to all women. At home I have cut down on the amount of red meat we eat as a family a week. "I am not suggesting that everyone should become a vegetarian, that would be unrealistic, but the findings were strong and I think we should pay attention to them."

The study was dismissed as "rubbish" by Sandy Crombie, chairman of the Scottish region of The Guild of Q Butchers, who pointed out that 56g of meat was roughly half a quarter-pound burger. He said: "Two ounces is absolutely tiny. I have never heard such rubbish, it's a tiny amount. "This is ridiculous, it's silly, it's barely worth talking about."
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Re: Red Meat 'Linked To Breast Cancer'

Quote Frank View Post
    The study was dismissed as "rubbish" by Sandy Crombie, chairman of the Scottish region of The Guild of Q Butchers, who pointed out that 56g of meat was roughly half a quarter-pound burger. He said: "Two ounces is absolutely tiny. I have never heard such rubbish, it's a tiny amount. "This is ridiculous, it's silly, it's barely worth talking about."
    Not sure I follow this line of argument!

Default Re: Red Meat 'Linked To Breast Cancer'

How much more proof do people need that animals are not meant to be eaten?
    I don't see any government campaigns advocating eating '5 portions of meat' a day to be healthy. What is it the adverts suggest? Oh, yes 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day..........isn't that what we vegans do already?

Default Cancerous Sausages and Western Diet Risk

Found some interesting articles on the BBC news for those that wish to read them.

Western Diet: Foods high in meat, white bread, milk and puddings puts asian women at risk of breast cancer (no shit!?).
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6284830.stm

"An additive used in some sausages and burgers could cause cancer, food safety experts have warned."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6286834.stm

Default Re: Cancerous Sausages and Western Diet Risk

So they eat more meat and dairy, but obesity is the key?

Hmm... Sometimes the obvious is too hard for some people to accept.

Yeah I saw that bit.

It's so obvious when you can see it, and frustrating at the same time. *rolls eyes*.

Milk, white bread, meat and pudding, and they're saying that's not the issue? -sigh-

i thought they would come to the conclusion that it was the diet...

"Overall it is hard to determine the effects of diet on breast cancer risk," said Dr Sarah Cant, Senior Policy Officer at the charity.
    We still aren't sure which specific dietary factors influence the chance of developing the disease."

Maybe, just maybe, it's all the meat and dairy.

Default Sausages kill!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...sausage131.xml

This has been in the Daily Mail today also and is all over the internet. Sad thing is no one says give it up altogether presumably because that would be too "extreme", more extreme than getting cancer no doubt It's all, "cut down".
    Another scientific study (sorry - lost link in the computer ether) says the combination of these type of meats and dairy is even more deadly. There is no mention of veganism tho' because presumably they would all rather be dead than go vegan.
    Lets hope some articles about veganism follow with photos of beautiful vegan people included
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Sausages KILL!!

I was going to bring this up earlier, but I figured that with the prevailing political wind, admitting to reading the Daily Mail would get one lynched.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

it was in the haaaaaaaa mirror as well. i brought it up at work and the whole subject was swiftly manipulated into an entirely different discussion one about how what actually causes bowel cancers isn't eating processed meat, but that we aren't as active as 50 years ago or something. ok.

*oh..by someone who is partial to a bacon sarnie.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Re: Sausages kill!!

yes i heard this on the radio. a guy was saying 'we can't eat ham, salami sausage, any processed meats - what on earth am i going to put in my packed lunches from now on?'

what indeed ??

sugarmouse

Ah good let them carry on eatin them,itll get rid of some of the imbeciles at least.
    I am sure it wont affect many.As EmmaPres says, theyll just do the denial thing and carry on.
    Ugh I hate humans.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I was going to bring this up earlier, but I figured that with the prevailing political wind, admitting to reading the Daily Mail would get one lynched.
    There's nothing wrong with the Daily Mail as such, and they certainly have their fair share of daring articles about health (i.e. mentioning vegan themes in a positive light).

I think the stereotype of Mail readers is because in towns like mine there appears to take the tabloid hysteria that often graces it's pages as gospel. Oh the stories I could tell you...

I'm always disappointed when I hear about health problems associated with diet because a lot of people are going to die from them when it could be prevented .

The oddest part is how people's ego works against them. The ego is something we need, it helps us function and lets us know that we're competant. It has the annoying side-effect of making us think that bad things happen to other people and not ourselves. Not to say that people think they're immortal but you never think that you'll get cancer or be hit by a bus even though you're just as human as everyone else and have the same chances as they do. Ask anyone what they think they'll die of and at what age, I bet you get very few people saying heart disease in their fifties or cancer in their sixties but statistically those are the most likely causes of death in developed countries and death from them at early ages is not uncommon.

If I saw conclusive proof that eating carrots increased risk of cancer or heart disease significantly, you're damn right I'd stop eating carrots. But show someone an article about how meat can cause bowel cancer and they just don't quite grasp the fact that they could be one of the guys that gets cancer.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Er.........I found the newspaper at work
    Silent but deadly :p

It was on the front page of the Metro yesterday, I left it out in the staffroom at work and it got people talking at tea break. They didn't just dismiss it as complete rubbish either . Well, that was one person's first reaction, but then she said she eats Linda McCartney sausages sometimes because they're better for you than meat ones, so there's hope for them yet.

I found this on the msn home page. It is interesting that he suggests a full English breakfast without meat. Get rid of the egg and it would be vegan.

In defence of the full English breakfast

A new study has recommended drastically reducing the amount of processed meat in your diet, warning that just one sausage a day raises your cancer risk by 20%. But while the study is full of worthwhile information, it also contains more than a hint of scare-mongering, nanny state-ism and a large dollop of the glaringly obvious.

So sausages are bad for you, eh? Thanks for that. And there was me thinking they were an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants. Next they will be saying that I should cut down on the amount of heroin I inject into my eyeballs.

Maybe it’s the 10g of saturated fat per pork link, or the lack of any real nutritional benefit, but spending months on a report which tells us that too much processed meat is bad for our health seems to me like a massive waste of everyone’s time and money.

My niece could have told you that. And she’s four.

But that is exactly what the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has done. The organisation’s experts have released a report which claims that eating just 50g of processed meat (the equivalent of one sausage or three rashers of bacon) a day can significantly raise the risk of bowel cancer.

Bowel cancer kills 16,000 people in the UK every year, making it the second deadliest form of the disease. However, as the WCRF goes on to point out, fewer than one in three Brits is aware of these dangers.

Professor Martin Wiseman, an adviser to the charity, said: “We are more sure now than ever before that eating processed meat increases your risk of bowel cancer and this is why WCRF recommends that people avoid eating it.”

Eight ways to spice up your diet

Processed meats are those which have been preserved by smoking, salting or other additives and include pastrami, ham, salami, hot dogs, hamburgers, mince and, of course, bacon and sausages.

Professor Wiseman continues: “When you consider that eating 50g of processed meat a day can increase your risk of bowel cancer by about a fifth, it is clear that you can make a positive difference by cutting out as much as possible.”

Too much of a good thing
    Fair enough. But these points do raise some pertinent questions. First of all, does anyone out there actually eat that much meat? And if you are tucking in to sausages or bacon every day of the week, are you under any illusions that this constitutes a healthy, balanced diet? I doubt it very much.

So while the charity points out that two thirds of the UK’s population is unaware of the link between processed meats and bowel cancer, it is patronising of them to suggest that people are blithely scoffing down sausages and bacon every day while oblivious to any of the health risks.

Of course eating large quantities of these foods is bad for you. So is drinking a bottle of wine every night, though we are repeatedly told that a glass of antioxidant rich red a day is good for the heart.

The most popular food myths

The WCRF’s study smacks of scare-mongering, whereas surely this is yet another case of ‘everything in moderation’. “The safest amount to eat is none at all,” says Professor Wiseman, but where is the fun in that?

To be fair to the professor, he does go on to say: “We do recommend that people avoid it completely, but it is not a case of all or nothing. Cutting down the amount of processed meat you eat can also reduce your risk of developing bowel cancer.”

Heard it all before?
    The WCRF’s shocking revelations that a fat-laden diet could seriously harm your chances of seeing your grandchildren grow up follows another groundbreaking study by the charity, released last year, which said that, er, processed meats can cause cancer.

Meanwhile, one of the WCRF’s other main findings was that small amounts of processed meat raises the risk of bowel cancer by (you guessed it) 20%. And in case you think we are suggesting that the charity is repeating itself, we should also say that they found putting on weight, drinking alcohol and eating other foods such as red meat can increase your chances of developing various types of cancer.

Is nothing sacred?
    In light of this piece of research, certain newspapers have of course covered this story with the usual amount of levelheadedness – almost all of them with a picture of a person eating a potentially lethal sausage or staring at it as if it were a stick of dynamite about to go off in their hands.

Fats: good vs bad

But before you throw away your frying pan or hurl a brick through your butcher’s window, consider the fact that a full English breakfast, one of the great pleasures in life, may not be as unhealthy as some people would have you believe. Sure, if you fry your eggs in lard or keep all the fat on your bacon, then your breakfast contains more saturated fat than is necessary.
    However, as the Food Standards Agency points out: “If you grill lean bacon, poach the eggs and include baked beans, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms cooked without fat, and serve it all up with thick crusty bread, you’ll have yourself a delicious cooked breakfast that is also healthy and balanced.”

The red pigment in tomatoes is lycopene, which has been strongly linked with cancer prevention. Cooking tomatoes is also supposed to make them healthier, as this makes it easier for the body to absorb the fruit’s nutrients. Regular sausages, meanwhile, can be substituted for a much healthier vegetarian variety.

Mushrooms are an excellent source of selenium, riboflavin and potassium, while eggs are full of protein, vitamins A, B, D and E, iron, zinc and are low in calories. Studies by Cancer Research UK and the Medical Research Council, meanwhile, have linked baked beans and other high fibre foods to a reduced risk of cancer.

So with the right ingredients and improved cooking methods, a cooked breakfast can actually become part of a healthy, balanced diet. Just don’t go doing it too often, otherwise you’ll never hear the end of it.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

That rebuttal is dancing around the issue. The report didn't just suggest that processed meat is bad for you, it proved that fact within statistically acceptable limits AND quantified the effect. If his four year old could grasp this scientific concept fully, let alone do it, they'd have to be the smartest child that has ever lived. He's right that the article is alarmist but I think the reason for that is that the writers and general public clearly did not think the effect of processed meat on cancer rates was so bad.

There's a guy in Ireland here that makes sausages himself and sells them. The only processing involved is grinding them up. Everyone knows that they're healthier than the crap full of preservatives you get in Tesco but an article like this shows just how much they are worse for you. What I'd be interested in seeing is a similar study done on non-processed meat from a local butcher. That would show more conclusively if it's the meat itself or the processing that has greatest effect on cancer rates.

And you're right that he avoids the meat issue at the end, going from advocating the traditional full english breakfast to just advocating "a cooked breakfast" where he doesn't even mention meat.

Pilaf

I like how they rushed to add the little part in there about red meat "also is a source of valuable nutrients."

I dare them to name one nutrient that's worth eating red meat over, and which can't easily be gained from a vegan diet.

Default A Great Snack!

Try telling this sort of thing to the meat industry:

They seem to think that it's "A Great Snack!" Oh, Americans... Will you ever learn?

I took this picture at Walgreens a while ago. I laughed out loud, then got kind of depressed.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Default Re: A Great Snack!

Quote Mila View Post
    Try telling this sort of thing to the meat industry:

They seem to think that it's "A Great Snack!" Oh, Americans... Will you ever learn?
    That's the thing, it IS an industry. You can't really expect a company to stop advertising their own products.

Pilaf

Quote Nyphur View Post
    That's the thing, it IS an industry. You can't really expect a company to stop advertising their own products.
    Phillip Morris had to...lol

Quote Nyphur View Post
    Yeah, but a "snack"?? Even for a meatie, this should be seen as promoting an unacceptably bad eating habit.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Quote Mila View Post
    Yeah, but a "snack"?? Even for a meatie, this should be seen as promoting an unacceptably bad eating habit.
    It is but the law doesn't, as a rule, stifle advertising of things that are bad for people. There are cases where government intervention puts some dampening on advertising such as with cigarette ads but I've never heard of anything similar done with unhealthy food products. The worst part is that the advertising works, most people that do eat meat don't even realise they eat far far too much of it and that eating it as a snack is so bad for them.

I believe there is talk of restricting the advertising of junk food to children (see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/me...en-763944.html).

I suspect when it comes to adult food, people would currently think it was taking the "nanny state" too far, but that could change.

ETA evidence that things change: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

Just a point I thought I'd like to make about the people I work with and the article I posted and his thoughts about people not knowing processed meat is bad for them.

Our work canteen (oh the joys of) sells a fried breakfast every single day. This wouldn't be so bad if the guys were eating it once a week. However someone I work with...I.E my chocolate monster of a supervisor is horrendous. In good faith I decided to record what he ate for an entire day. Now this is typical of the people I work with....well and truely.

BREAKFAST:

Three sausages, two bacon, two fried slices, baked beans, mushrooms, black pudding, two fried eggs and two slices of white toast.

SNACKS:

Two chocolate muffins from MacDonalds

Bag of Crisps

LUNCH:

Sausage McMuffin

Chips

Bar of chocolate

SNACKS:

Bag of crisps

Chocolate bar

DINNER:

Chicken and chips from the chicken shop covered in salt.

You see this is so typical of the guys I work with and they honestly don't think it is bad for them. They eat the same set menu pretty much everyday....all 90 of them. Most are fat and the ones who are not look so under nourished I just wanna give them some tofu and be like, "eat something decent...please I beg you!"

Ignorance, brainwashing and stubborness!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Good sperm

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Most are fat and the ones who are not look so under nourished I just wanna give them some tofu and be like, "eat something decent...please I beg you!"
    Funny you should mention this. Most people eating a diet like the one you set out above become overweight. However some people remain undernourished, skinny and ill looking, their body has so few nutrients it cannot hold on to weight - they are at a lot of risk from disease and serious health problems especially later in life. But because our culture thinks skinny=healthy/not skinny=unhealthy these undernourished people who eat crap don't think they're at risk. To the point where I've been compared to skinny, rubbish eating omnis and told that they are healthier than me.

Yeah right. I run half marathons and eat 10 servings of fruit and veg a day, I'd kick their arse in a health check

AMF - I know exactly what you mean. I hate the idea that skinny automatically=healthy. I would probably look 'better' in society's eyes for losing some weight (BTW I am 5'6" and size 10-12 so not exactly overweight) but I would much rather be fit and healthy than thin. Emzy - your work colleagues are heading for early heart disease/heart attacks in their fifties.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I was surprised by that guy's assertion that people wouldn't eat as much as 1 sausage a day and that everyone knows processed meat is bad for them. I think he is seriously overestimating the awareness of the general population.

Quote Holly78 View Post
    AMF - I know exactly what you mean. I hate the idea that skinny automatically=healthy. I would probably look 'better' in society's eyes for losing some weight (BTW I am 5'6" and size 10-12 so not exactly overweight) but I would much rather be fit and healthy than thin. Emzy - your work colleagues are heading for early heart disease/heart attacks in their fifties.
    I am the youngest in my department by almost 25 years. These guys are already in their fifties etc....There is one guy and he is into body building and since I showed him some raw body building videos online he is eating shitloads of raw veg...unfortunately with cooked chicken and fish...but hey that is better than the shit the others are eating.

AMF - I've smoked for 23 years (from the womb), only just given up, only just started at the gym and I'd kick their arses in a health check so goodness knows what you would be capable of.

Sluggie - Another middle class journalist who is out of touch with what the majority i.e the working class understand about diet and nutrition.

Default Fast food chicken contains cancer-causing chemicals (breast, colon, prostate)

Samples of grilled chicken from each restaurant were tested and found to contain PhIPm, a compound from a group of carcinogenic compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs), which are often found in grilled meat, according to the press release. It adds that the federal government officially recognized HCA as a carcinogen in 2005, and PhIPm specifically has been named on the California governor's list of chemicals known to cause cancer for more than ten years.
    More here.

Edit - here's another link about the same (and some related) topic(s):
    Grilled chicken contains cancer-causing compounds

Default Red Meat 'Raises Risk of All Kinds of Death'

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20090324...h-41a8b2f.html

People who eat the most red meat and the most processed meat have the highest overall risk of death from all causes, including heart disease and cancer, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

The National Cancer Institute study is one of the largest to look at the highly controversial and emotive issue of whether eating meat is indeed bad for health.

Rashmi Sinha and colleagues looked at the records of more than 500,000 people aged 50 to 71 who filled out questionnaires on their diet and other health habits.

Even when other factors were accounted for -- eating fresh fruits and vegetables, smoking, exercise, obesity -- the heaviest meat-eaters were more likely to die over the next 10 years than the people who ate the least amount of meat.

"Red and processed meat intakes were associated with modest increases in total mortality, cancer mortality, and cardiovascular disease mortality," Sinha and colleagues wrote in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

They divided the volunteers into five groups, called quintiles. Between 1995 and 2005, 47,976 men and 23,276 women died.

The quintile who ate the most red meat had a higher risk for overall death, death from heart disease and cancer than the men and women who ate the least red meat.

The researchers said thousands of deaths could be prevented if people simply ate less meat.

"For overall mortality, 11 percent of deaths in men and 16 percent of deaths in women could be prevented if people decreased their red meat consumption to the level of intake in the first quintile," Sinha's team wrote.

HELPING THE ENVIRONMENT

Many studies have shown that people who eat less meat are healthier in many ways, and Sinha's team noted that meat contains several cancer-causing chemicals, as well as the unhealthiest forms of fat.

The U.S. government now recommends a "plant-based diet" that stresses fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Barry Popkin, an expert in nutrition and economics at the University of North Carolina, said the study was unusually thorough and careful.

Eating less meat has other benefits, he said, and governments should start promoting this. For instance, farming animals for meat causes greenhouse gas emissions that warm the atmosphere and uses fresh water in excess, he said.

"I was pretty surprised when I checked back and went through the data on emissions from animal food and livestock," Popkin said in a telephone interview.

"I didn't expect it to be more than cars."

Cancer experts said the study fit in with what is known from other research.

"This large study provides further evidence to support the recommendations by groups such as the World Cancer Research Fund in demonstrating an association between a high consumption of red and processed meats and a increase risk of death from cancer," said Ian Olver, Chief Executive Officer of Cancer Council Australia.

The meat industry denounced the study as flawed.

But American Meat Institute executive president, James Hodges, said: "Meat products are part of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show they actually provide a sense of satisfaction and fullness that can help with weight control. Proper body weight contributes to good health overall."
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: Red Meat 'Raises Risk of All Kinds of Death'

I am killing myself with laughter here.

"....satisfaction and fullness... can help with weight control.... contributes to good health overall...."

Seriously? Is that the best he can do? Apparently so! Bad for animals, bad for people, bad for the world.... welcome to the future... it's vegan green.

Well what do they expect from eating a dead animal

I read in the metro today that red meat was bad and people should eat chicken instead !!

*is speechless*

All they care about is their health, they don't care about the animals
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote Gorilla View Post

People who eat the most red meat and the most processed meat have the highest overall risk of death from all causes
    Er....I would have thought that a human being's "risk of death" is 100% anyway?

Stu

Quote rianaelf View Post
    I read in the metro today that red meat was bad and people should eat chicken instead !!
    That's actually from the same study.

The overall conclusion being drawn, appeared to be that one should eat a small amount of meat.

All causes? Even getting struck by lightening?

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Er....I would have thought that a human being's "risk of death" is 100% anyway?
    I'm glad you said that! I was trying not to be forum pedant again

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm glad you said that! I was trying not to be forum pedant again
    Interesting study, bad journalism