Thread: Vegan chocolate

Default Vegan chocolate

Just wondering if anyone has tried these?

Twlight (mars) joker (snicker) buccaneer (milkyway) & Mahalo (bounty) & are they always out of stock or can you buy them elsewhere in uk?

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=510

Or tried these organic chocolate nut & chews?

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=510

Sorry one other thing have you tried the squirty cream in the Viva shop?

http://www.viva.org.uk/vivashop/prod...hp?category=60

Thanks

Default Re: Vegan Chocalate

I've had the whipping cream. It tasted quite like I remember cream in a can tasting... I'm not sure that's a recommendation though

It was nice on hit chocolate etc.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I think the chocolate bars are a vegan store exclusive. I seem to remember it saying on there that they'd be back in in mid-December.

The cream is great stuff. They sell it in a lot of health food shops too. I prefer the whipping cream in a box, because the squirty one always seem to work for about 5 minutes and then runs out of propellent!

the squirty cream does tend to not last too long but here are lots of different creams too.

I suppose the squitry stuff is just a fun product. Great for party games & a bit of adult fun Goes nicely with choc spead.

jj

I think they have the whipping cream in a box in my local tesco, was thinking of making a trifle so will have to give it a try

i love the whipping cream i made a great trifle with it
    i havnt tried the chocolate i think for the size they are a bit expensive

The Lurker

That Organica nougat and chocolate bar is the best thing I have ever eaten.

89p for 2 bites though

no wonder im fat and skint

why is vegan stuff in general more expensive than non vegan stuff ??

JC

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    Because we're doing the right thing in not eating animals, and like all martyrs, have to suffer for our good deeds!

It's more expensive partly because the manufacturers don't get the economies of scale that Cadbury's etc do.

So what we need to do is eat a lot more vegan chocolate

its like everything though i cant remember who makes them but i think they are like wine gums £3 something for a tiny bag when its loads cheaper to buy the non vegan ones, i mean like fish fingers or stuff you get cheap where as vegan ones are dear for something like 6 doesnt make sense

The Lurker

it's down to quality as well - regular chocolate is padded full of cheap milk products so it stretches further

some vegan chocolate is extortionate - £3 for something smaller than a milky way in my local HFS

I have found vegan dark chocolate cheap in Lidl. It does not say vegan on the packet but check the ingredients there are no animal fats or dairy in it.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

ooohh whats it called herbwormwood ??

JC

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    I have found vegan dark chocolate cheap in Lidl. It does not say vegan on the packet but check the ingredients there are no animal fats or dairy in it.
    I'm sure Aldi's got a range of dark products that are vegan too (provided that 'may contain traces' labels don't bother you)

Can't remember, they have a few tho and they are all big bars in dark wrap.
    http://www.lidltreats.com/images/spec-choc.jpg
    This looks familiar...
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

oooh i have aldi and a lidl by me will have to have a look

the other day there was a post on the vegan society's facebook page saying that green and blacks are going to start selling vegan friendly dark chocolate from 2010

leedsveg

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    Because we're paying the price (with money) so that the animals don't have to (with their miserable lives).

lv

Vegan stuff doesn't get the massive state subsidies that animal farming relies on for its existence. So we're helping to keep down the price of meat & dairy and prop up cruelty and environmental degradation whenever we pay tax. Shocking, really.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

The Twilight and Jokerz bars are out of this world! Although I've only been Vegan a year, I haven't had a Mar bar in a good 3-4 years and the Twilight bars taste exactly how I remember them! I had to keep checking the wrapper while I was eating it because I kept thinking 'There's no way this is vegan'.
    Since cutting out dairy I've rarely eaten any chocolate as I'm not a fan of dark and "milk" chocolate is rather tasteless and bland. These hit the nail on the head. Perfect.
    I wish there was some way of bulk buying though, so I wouldn't have to pay £1.65 a bar!

yep, the marsbar is 'omnivore' approved. my bf said it'd be even better than a normal one, there's more caramel in the vegan ones.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

I just tried the Twilight bar today & whilst I wasn't expecting too much from it, it tasted AMAZING. Even my brother (who eats real Mars bars) agreed that it was pretty good, although he also mentioned that it had more caramel than the real ones.

According to the manufacturer's website (http://www.gomaxgofoods.com/where.htm), veganstore.co.uk is currently the only UK supplier and at £1.65 each I agree, pretty expensive.

Also, if you miss white chocolate I'd suggest trying the new dairy free white chocolate buttons from Tesco. (http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/6/xpi65244136.htm) A small bag is only 38p! I liked them, but it's been so long since I've had real white chocolate that I'll have to let you decide for yourself!

Anyway, can't wait to try the Buccaneer bar next. Will keep you posted.

The Secret Society of Vegans are opening up a big new shop in the new year near King's Cross. I wonder if they'll be able to get hold of the Twilight bars.

Me and a friend did an order from the vegan store to save on postage in fact spent £50 between us so got free postage.

So I now have 6 twilight bars, 1 buccaneer and 1 joker

Will make them last!!!

I popped in to H&B today, and bought myself a 45g bar of Plamil No Added Sugar Chocolate Mint, and a 45g bar of Plamil Dairy Free Alternative To Milk Chocolate. First time I'd seen them in there, and the girl on the till commented on them too, saying they were new.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

does the "no added sugar " bar have sweeteners in it?
    Such as zylatol?

as far as I know its tested on animals as all artificial sweeteners are, on a regular basis and its so bad for humans as it causes weight gain and other major health issues

I like plamil, they are a good vegan firm but I wont ever buy products with artificial sweeteners due to the animal testing and the health issues they cause

jj

jj - Xylitol isn't artificial, it comes from plants and was discovered decades ago.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Vegan Chocolate

As far as Im aware its really been processed and causes health issues along with causing us to gain weight
    Im sure it was on watchdog in the UK saying a small amount can cause really bad stomach issues & more.

jj

Quote jj View Post
    As far as Im aware its really been processed and causes health issues along with causing us to gain weight
    Im sure it was on watchdog in the UK saying a small amount can cause really bad stomach issues & more.

jj
    The Plamil website (http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/chocolate/) says this about using Xylatol:
    No added sugar chocolate
    Our 'no added sugar' bars use the sweetness of Xylitol. Xylitol is a well-known ingredient to most diabetics. Xylitol is commonly made from birch trees and is known to have benefits in oral health and therefore ideal for those who do not want sugar replaced by chemical alternatives.

Yes, I thought Xylitol was 'ok'...
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

The only side-effect I've heard of regarding xylitol is the laxative effect. Indeed some research is being undertaken which suggests it may have health benefits (infections, osteoporosis). I don't eat things with it because I don't like it but I think health-wise it's fine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/783060

I'd steer clear of aspartame, saccharin etc though.

Animal Aid UK has those choc bars at the moment - Mahalo (bounty type bar) Twilight Bar - (Mars type) Buccaneer Bar (Milky Way type) Jokerz Bar (Snickers/MARATHON!! type bar) I think they have a slight margarine type taste to them, but very nice all the same - my 5 bars lasted me less than 24 hours! £1.80 but slightly bigger bars than the Organica bars.

http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/choc...chocolate-bars

Go to their OFFERS page too for some discounted vegan chocolates boxes(getting near sell by date) and goodies

Reasonable postage rates too. £1.70 up to £10.

Anyone tried their Bamboo socks? Soft and comfy (available in purple!!)

I prefer to get them from either Veganstore (you get loyalty points) or a shop in Liverpool that sells some of them.
    I recently bought one of Animal Aids fleeces, it was reduced to £15, then £13.5 with my members discount, and its really soft and warm.
    I would definitely recommend getting one of those, I think they have now gone down to £10.

Lakeside Ethical Treats sell the full range of Go Max Go bars(Twilight etc), including the new Peanut Butter Cups and Snap, crisped rice in a rice-milk chocolatey coating! The shop is run by vegan volunteers, every penny made goes towards vegan campaigning, i.e. food fairs, festivals etc! www.ethical-treats.co.uk

Cool Re: Vegan Chocolate

Quote veganchic View Post
    Lakeside Ethical Treats sell the full range of Go Max Go bars(Twilight etc), including the new Peanut Butter Cups and Snap, crisped rice in a rice-milk chocolatey coating! The shop is run by vegan volunteers, every penny made goes towards vegan campaigning, i.e. food fairs, festivals etc! www.ethical-treats.co.uk
    Cor. I hadn't heard of that site before. How quick do they send? Couldn't see anything about postage rates on the site.
    But it does look like a vegan sweetie heaven! I think I've made my wishlist for the next time I have some money spare!

I have recently ordered Chocolove Almonds & Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate. It is absolutely good, one of the best chocolates I have ever tried. Yum yum! Then earlier I ordered Chocolove Chillies & Cherries in Dark Chocolate, this one was also very good, and Chocolove Orange Peel in Dark Chocolate - yummy! Unfortunately, the brand isn't entirely vegan.

Booja-Booja chocolates, all Vegan and exquisite, small box of 9 truffles approx £6, only in health stores and mail order, they also sell luxury boxes, which come in hand painted boxes.
    As well as this gorgeous chocolate they make some delicious non dairy ice cream

Default Re: Vegan chocolate

Over the weekend I have tried 2 things from the Chocolate Wendy House - A snickers bar and a creme egg. The snickers was good (tasted quite close to a regular snickers) but the chocolate on both wasn't great - very crumbly and granulated. I wont be buying again until they learn how to temper chocolate.