Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Quick & easy vegan food

Default Re: Quick and easy curry

I can recommend Meridian Foods "free from" korma or tikka masala sauces, especially for those who, like me, prefer their curries less hot and spicy. Last week I had the korma one with baby corn, sugarsnaps, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, chickpeas, carrots and mixed peppers, served with jacket potato and garlic & coriander naan bread. It was incredibly yummy, so much so that I'm making it again later this week.
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Meridian Foods "free from" korma or tikka masala sauces
    I'll look out for these... my daughter-in-law prefers a milder curry and this could be something she'd enjoy.

Quote JustMe View Post
    I'll look out for these... my daughter-in-law prefers a milder curry and this could be something she'd enjoy.
    Here's the link to Meridian's website - they do several other vegan products, and it's easy to check which those are. I've found some of their products in Tesco, including the korma sauce, and can always get it from my local health food store. Hope that helps.

Ooh - I can recommend their "free from" green pesto, too - delicious!
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Thanks for the info, Lily.

I've used their Creamy White Wine & Mushroom and Sun Dried Tomato Sauces... will put the Tikka Masala and Korma Sauces on the shopping list.

Also, their Yeast Extract is our favourite.

the Meridian curry sauces are very good. i usually use the korma one with Redwood 'chicken' pieces, and the tikka masala one with chick peas and broccoli. i usually add a little rice milk to the sauce to make it go a bit further.

as an aside i also like their yeast extract and fruit speads (esp the blueberry one).

Redwoods "Chicken" Pieces... only buy these occasionally and usually have them with a salad. Haven't tried heating them up in a sauce.

My daughter-in-law can be a bit picky with some of the Redwoods products so think I'll try making a vegetable curry with one of the Meridian sauces, serve the "chicken" on the side and see how she likes that. She's an omni who's happy enough to eat a vegan diet at home (especially if my son is cooking!) but chooses the meat option when eating out with friends or other family

Talking of fake chicken, we had some mock chicken that came from a Chinese restaurant, at a vegan buffet. It was too realistic, really. Tabs couldn't eat her piece at all.

My favourite is the Realeat stuff as it doesn't try too hard to be like chicken.

I usually prefer having pulses in there or just all veg, really.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Just wanted to share a very simple curry that I made tonight. Very filling and delicious!

Sweet Potato Curry
    --------------------
    1 Sweet Potato
    1 Onion
    1 Red Pepper
    1/2 c Lentils
    1/2 c soy milk
    1/2 c water
    Olive Oil
    Curry
    Cinnamon
    Dried Cayenne Pepper
    Salt

1. Cut sweet potato into chunks and drop into salted boiling water. Cook until tender (approx 10 minutes). Rinse in cold water, drain, and set aside.
    2. Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onion and red pepper until onions are slightly browned and pepper is softened.
    3. Add soy milk, water, spices and let cook until mixture boils.
    4. Reduce heat and add sweet potato and lentils. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Serves 2

I've never added soya milk to a curry... will try this. Taking into account the recipe timing, did you use tinned lentils?

I make a very quick and easy sweet potato curry similar to Kat7's but use the Meridian korma sauce instead of curry powder etc and I use tinned puy lentils. I serve it with coconut rice which is basmati rice boiled using a little water and a tin of coconut milk.

I've never used tinned lentils

Default Quick and easy

I just became vegan, and have been vegetarian since the age of around 7. But I hardly cook, I tend to go for ready meals and junk food.

Part of becoming vegan for me is learning to be more in touch with my food, and aware of what is going into my body. And in order to do this successfully, I have to get off my ass and cook stuff.

So I was looking for advice on how to start. I mean, what I want really is some suggestions of meals that I can make in bulk and refrigerate or freeze to last me the week. That way I don't have to think about making loads of meals in a week, until I learn more recipes.

I also need to keep it cheap, because I'm a student. Fortunately, the area I live in is absolutely full of vegetarian, vegan and organic shops, so I'm very lucky. But I want to limit the amount of ingredients I buy, and learn to make a few recipes out of these ingredients.

I also need ingredients that will last, so that I'm not always spending money on food.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is n the wrong forum.

Last edited by flutterby; Jun 17th, 2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Fast & easy vegan food

I try and eat healthy lunches at work but they have to be quick, I'll toss in some tofu with lemon juice, raw spinach, grated veg such as carrots, mushrooms, mangetout, beans and I'll cook up some homemade tomato sauce at the weekend and put in the fridge to use during the week.
    I'll have that with spelt pasta, brown rice or quinoa. I try and vary the veg and make the sauce with different veg ingredients and toss in a handful of raw sprouted beans into the mix.
    Roughly chopped herbs are nice added into it too!
    Silent but deadly :p

Question Need help with *very* simple recipes

Ive got a hubby that still eats meat but my 2 year old and myself dont...I am a newbie still....getting to my point...i have ALOT of health issues going on and find it VERY hard to spend alot of time in the kitchen making *big* dinners for us....so I could really use some help from yall...Sara is a great eater and will eat just about anything I give her (soy and etc wise) so theres no picky eater issues with her...Im asking yall for some super quick and easy lunch/dinner meal ideas-recipes that only take a few minutes to throw together.....because I am unable to do things the way id like to because of a recent stroke and pain issues as well....

Thanks sooooooo much in advance...
    Be Gentle Please
    Im a New Vegan~Me~

nervine

Default Re: Need help with *very* simple recipes

i usually have salads, i throw together whatever i can find in the fridge, grated carrots, lettuce, chopped bellpeppers, chickpeas, sprinkle some linseed
    and sunflowerseeds on top, make a dressing with tahini, water, cumin, salt, chopped onion, maybe some tomatosauce. i very rarely eat soyproducts or fake meats, have some nuts for dessert, my favs are almonds, brazils, cashews, peanuts

also one or two bananas squashed with a tbsp of cacao powder is very nice, i have it for breakfast alot.

vegan pasta is easy to make too with tvp and tomatosauce, also curries are easy too, tikki masala is awsome and quick too if u can find a jar of vegan sauce. or have a raw pasta made from raw zuchini or cucumber sliced into thin strips witha a potatopeeler, then add the sauce etc. could have it in a sandwich, the possibilities are endless, use your imagination

you covered loads there nervine

millet, quinoa,bulger wheat..easy to make then combine with chopped salady veg

how about cous cous?
    can whip that stuff up in 5 mins flat. literally stir anything into it..veg, herbs, oil, lemon juice etc..

whiz up cans of beans to make hummous/bean paté..any tinned beans interchangeable with chickpeas..chop up carrots,celery, pitta breads,bread sticks

also if it's not a daft suggestion..if you find there'ssomething you make that you all like loads..make extra, portion it up and freeze it so all's you've to do is defrost it with minimal effort

can't think of anything else just now??
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I have an easy peasy vegan recipe file on my PC for when my vegetarian or omnivorous friends say to me that they have vegan friends comming over or they wanna be vegan for a month or something.

It has everything from breakfast to evening meals, all written out clearly and concisely. Some recipes even state where to get the ingredients from. Basically an idiots guide to being vegan.

Anyone interested?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Well seeing how you're from Texas I must help you out since I also used to live in Texas! Whenever I cook for the family I make a vegetable casserole because pretty much everyone will eat that and if you make it in a 9x14 pan you get leftovers to eat tomorrow. Just cook 1 1/2 cups of rice and mix it in a baking dish with vegetables of your choice along with soymilk and vegetable broth. Doesn't have to be exact, just pour enough soy/broth to come about 3/4 way to the top of the pan. Cover it with foil and bake for about 1 hr at 375 degrees. I also like to sprinkle it with cracker crumbs before I put it in the oven.
    I always rotate what vegetables and spices I use, but some favorites are: cauliflower (for creamy texture), broccoli, spinach, onion, carrots, garbanzo beans, mushrooms, and green peas.
    I hope that helps! You should also peruse the recipes subforum. There are lots of ideas there!

Default Simple yet filling dinners?

I need some simple recipes for some filling dinners (it would be for both me and my dad to eat, so I want it to be moderately filling since he's a big guy and a marathon runner). The only thing is that I have a really low tolerance for beans, soy, and foods with a lot of fiber like whole grain (most vegetables seem to be fine and I don't think I have any problems with nuts). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Simple yet filling dinners?

Rice pasta is a nice substitute for wheat, if you have trouble with that. Can you eat lentils? A nice lentil sauce over pasta is filling.

Default Quick Vegan Meals

Hello,

After having been a vegetarian since the age of 5 I have recently converted to being a vegan. I would have done this a long time ago had I known what I now know!

My problem is that I have now found that my usual quick evening meal - steamed veggies and something out of the freezer like a veggie burger or sausage - is largely off limits. I must admit I was shocked by this when I started reading labels. I am also shocked by how supermarkets just don't seem to mark things as being vegan. Maybe I am shopping in the wrong place but there isn't a lot of choice where I live.

Anyway, does anyone know what brands that are readily bought some supermarkets are suitable? I'm getting really fed up of reading the words milk and eggs on the product labels.

Thank you

Shroo

Default Re: Quick Vegan Meals

As for Burger like things:

Sainsbury's Spicy Bean Quarter pounders
    Sainsbury's Vegetarian Nut Cutlet
    Fry's Burger Varieties
    Vegetarians Choice Vegetable Protein Burgers
    Linda McCartney's Spicy Three Bean Bakes
    Dragonfly Beany Varieties

I've tried those all at some point, and as a personal preference i only really like the Bean Burgers, as i cant stand the 'fake' meat varieties.

Also i think Cauldron's Carrot and Onion Burgers and Chilli Burgers are Vegan, not tried them yet though.

Not sure about sausages.

Lentils an other beans are pretty quick, too! Just cook up a huge batch and freeze/ fridge it for a bit and add the veggies to it each night. You don't have to rely on fake meats
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Hello Shroo,

I really do sympathise, supermarkets are generally awful in catering for vegans - nearly all the veggie stuff is off limits for us, which is really frustrating. I find that I have to shop further afield, in health food/wholefood shops to get a choice.

My local supermarket is Sainsbury's and as far as I am aware the only vegan choices in frozen foods are: Realeat Vegemince (not Vegesteak chunks, they contain egg), Sainsbury's own brand Nut Cutlets and Linda McCartney sausages (again, there is nothing else in this range that's vegan).

I don't often shop in Tesco's but I do know that their own brand Nut Cutlets are vegan and I think they also sell Realeat Vegemince.

Coming back to Sainsbury's - don't be tempted to swop over their vegetarian mince for Realeat Vegemince (the own-brand product is significantly cheaper). It seems OK from the list of ingredients, but the 'flash' on the front of the packet says 'Vegetarian' rather than 'Vegetarian and Vegan'. This leads me to wonder if perhaps there could be some egg and/or dairy contamination of the product during manufacture on a production line that also handles eggs/dairy.

Hi Shroo,
    Maybe there's something interesting for you in this thread too:
    Fast & easy vegan food

The Linda McCartney website claims some of their other stuff is vegan too:

http://www.hain-celestial.co.uk/News...sArticle12.pdf

Some supermarkets stock some of their products and you can also find some in Holland and Barrett.

Waitrose usually stock Taifun frankfurter-type sausages which are mostly made from tofu.

I'd probably go with the lentil/bean idea myself as I wouldn't want the fake meat stuff as a dietary staple.

Thanks for all your advice, guys. It is difficult swapping from being veggie to being vegan and it takes a little getting used to. I do cook - in fact I have written a veggie cook book - but there are some evenings after a particularly busy day at work when all you want to do is throw a burger under the grill and steam some veg - particularly as I live alone and sometimes you can't be bothered to do more. I only have Tesco near me but will venture further afield to look in Sainsburys.

I am currently eating a can of tomato basil soup, steamed asparagus, and raw cauliflower with tahini sauce. It took me 15 minutes at the most to prepare. I love to cook, but there times like now, during exams that its just not feasilbe, but I am satified with my dinner.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I am totally into ASDA's own canned Spicy Tomato soup right now. It's chocked full of red lentils too although it's just called "Spicy Tomato Soup" (weird!) and tastes awesome. Pretty good for protein and fibre too.

Also, try knocking up a tofu scramble with brocolli, mushrooms, peppers, onion and indian spices. Serve it up on a couple of slices of toast (wholemeal like i do, if that's your thing) and voila! Yum. You can get Cauldron's plain firm tofu in most supermarkets. Scrambling it's well easy.

Linda McCartney sausages and sausage rolls are vegan & in some supermarkets too. MMmmmmm!

Thumbs up Easy raw or cooked

Yo! I'm going to be going back to school in the fall and I pretty much have no time to get anything remotely decent as far as getting food from a restaurant [i mainly get Indian food from a couple really awesome places around town]
    So I was wondering if anyone had any recipes that could last from being made either the night before or early that morning that weren't too time consuming and could fill me up through out the day. This is also considering I would be eating it later on around or 1-2 [being made the night before or early that morning] Any info would be amazing!

thanks in advance !

Default Re: Easy raw or cooked

You could make a veg. stew like ratatouille for your supper (add some beans for a more substantial dish) and then take the leftovers with a chunk of bread for lunch. Those sorts of dishes improve with being kept overnight although if it's warm an insulated box or bag for taking it to school would be a good idea.

Have you looked at the bento box thread? You might get some ideas from t hat.

what about sushi made with rice paper instead of nori sheets? or some kind of it. you don´t necessarily have to put rice into it, you can also use pureed firm tofu or a burger and add some veggies of your choice.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

RubyDuby

curried chick peas?
    or any soup or curry tastes better after being left to soak up the flavor overnight imo.
    lotsa easy recipes just google.

summer salads, like potato salad, pasta salad, tabbouleh, are all yummy after being chilled overnight.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

you can make cous cous really easily by just popping it into a bowl and putting on some boiled kettle water..plate on top and leave it til all the water gets absorbed.

mix whatever you have hanging around in the cupboard/fridge into it..it'll last at least several meals

if you have time previously...slice up thickly loads of veg..whatever youhave in your house will roast up good! garlic too is really good roasted..olive oil on the top..roast for 3/4 hour or whatever..infact..do loads of it..then you can use that with all sorts of stuff..cold in pitta bread..with pasta to make a salad..loooooads of stuff!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Question Low Fat/Calorie/Carb, Quick & Easy Recipes?

Can anyone share any low fat, low calorie, low carb, quick & easy recipes with me please?!

Sorry if this sounds too much but I'm constantly maintaining my weight and usually eat late after work & the gym, so don't have much time for cooking.

I've been making lentil stew to keep in the freezer and eat loads of veggies & salad but am after a few more ideas.

Thanks!

Default Re: Low Fat/Calorie/Carb, Quick & Easy Recipes?

Low fat is anything without nuts, oils, or avocado.

Low carb is anything without grains, brans, or beans.

Low calorie is fruits and veggies (more veggies).

Thanks Fuhzy do you have any recipes to share?

So you basically want to eat protein? Good protein sources that are low in fat are lentils, beans, sprouts, and soy.

Why low carb?

Thanks LMNOP, sorry if I didn't explain myself - I need low carb as I eat late in the evening, which doesn't help with maintaining my weight. I'm mainly referring to starchy carbs such as potatoes, pasta etc, which I think are best avoided late in the day!

How about making a chilli with soya, beans and veggies? You can eat that with a little bit of brown rice. I made that a few weeks ago for my friend who is following the weight watchers diet so I know it is pretty healthy.

naan bread pizzas are easy to rustle up and the thick naan bread makes them much more filling.

wholewheat bread or rolls are more filling.

cold pasta dishes from the night before.

any dishes based or carbs will fill you and provide sustanance.
    (bread, rice, grains, pasta etc)

fruit smoothies based on 2 or 3 bananas in a flask.

nuts and dried fruits.

i recommend you check out the bento thread on here for more yummy ideas. :smile:

Check this thread out. I started the thread and have actually used a few of the recipes. Right now I'm mainly making curries and soups/ chilis cause they're super cheap and easy to make a lot at once time. For breakfast I usually have fruit, which is obviously very fast. TBH, sometimes I just eat canned beans with veggies. Stifries are super fast, if you can get a food processor (I hate chopping!).

Hmm, I have a food processor but I hadn't thought of using it to make stir-fries. Doesn't it slice them a bit finely?

When I'm doing it I just chop the vegetables roughly so it doesn't take long - honest!

I think you can get food processors that just chop; they can make the pieces different sizes, depending on the setting.
    Maybe those things are called something else... I dont have one so idk...

I made most of my meals last semester in a dorm kitchen shared with the rest of the dorm (about 90 people--but most of them rarely used it), so I only cooked every 3-4 days (it just took too long since I was always sharing the kitchen with people and I didn't own a lot of utensils, just a pot, pan, and some knives). I always just made large amounts of food and refrigerated them. I found that most food is ok refrigerated or microwaved the next day or day after. I ate a lot of pasta dishes, soups/stews, nachos, and stir fry. Oh, and couscous, like someone mentioned--really easy to make in the microwave or on the stove. I'm a big fan of hummus so I made a lot of hummus sandwiches/bagels and ate it as a snack on chips, bread, carrots, etc. I didn't have a food processor and I'm not a big fan of chopping either, so I mostly made dishes that only required a few different kinds of vegetables--and I ate a lot of bean-based dishes too. Towards the end of the semester I got into cupcake baking , so I would usually multi task and put the cupcakes in the oven while making stuff on the stove--although mainly I just needed to do this because it was a pain in the ass to put all of my cooking equipment in a box and haul it downstairs to the communal kitchen every time I felt like cooking. Anyway, I would suggest investing in some good Tupperware and cooking large quantities of food every couple of days (if you don't mind eating the same stuff for a few meals in a row). And I wish I'd seen Ella's thread before!

Great plan thanks Linxie do you make your chilli with TVP? I think it is lower in fat than soya mince????

Check out the recipes section for chilis and soups!
    And this one is good for quick meals.

Quote KayJay View Post
    Great plan thanks Linxie do you make your chilli with TVP? I think it is lower in fat than soya mince????
    I use realeat vegemince as i prefer that to other brands

I like TruFree's potato & vegetable quick snack. Sainsbury's own basics pot noodles are good and quick too, as are Granovita veetable hot pot & lentil & tomato casserole.

Order online from www.goodnessdirect.co.uk - fo to their vegan sub-section in the special diets section (PM me for my tell-a-friend reference if you are going to order!).

Default Re: Fast & easy vegan food

spiced baked potato with tomatoes
    take one or two medium - large potatoes and give them a quick wash
    stab them with a fork and stick them on a plate
    shove it in the micro and press baked potato or put it on micro/ convector for about 10 mins
    take them out and stick a fork in and twist - don't slice with a knife this way makes them much more fluffy and makes the next bit work better
    sprinkle on some chilli powder, turmeric, parsley, onion granules, ginger and plenty of paprika and then spread some pure sunflower in them
    cut a couple of tomatoes into eighths and voila a yummy quick feel good snack