Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick & easy vegan food

Default Re: Cheap, easy recipe to feed six people?

chili is always good and cheap.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

mango woman

Default Re: Fast & easy vegan food

Wow. i just made this for breakfast and it was sooo good. you could substitute anything for anything..

Whole wheat tortilla
    raisins
    applesauce
    peanut butter
    100% fruit preserves/jam

slowly brown the tortilla in a fry pan [i didnt use any oil.. just heat] and when both sides are a little brown or have brown air bubbles, add some peanut butter and spread it on one half of one side. then put raisins, applesauce, and some fruit preserves. fold it like a taco. heat for a bit until inside contents appear warm.. then eat! yumm.. I used freshly made applesauce AND peanut butter.. and then blackberry preserves. sounds weird but it's good!!

Default Re: Low-prep/no-prep meals for lazy vegans

Take baby carrots and canned beans (kidney beans and chick peas taste good in this). Top with a little dressing and mix. Eat. Note: this is better with cut up cucumbers and tomatoes, but I've had it like this when I was in a hurry and it's good.

Talking Re: Low-prep/no-prep meals for lazy vegans

mac & chreese

rice noodle packets

canned refried beans, tofutti sour cream, pico de gallo, mix & eat with chips!

these are my got-to-run meals!

not to healthy, but the mac & chreese has nutritional yeast...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri
    mac & chreese

not to healthy, but the mac & chreese has nutritional yeast...
    i finally mastered the mac & chreese- i add olive oil (along with the soy milk and earth balance)

Talking Re: Low-prep/no-prep meals for lazy vegans

Quote mophoto
    i finally mastered the mac & chreese- i add olive oil (along with the soy milk and earth balance)
    mmmm... sounds good!

ill have to try it!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I so sympathise with Gumpish at the moment. Me and John have been the height of lazy recently and haven't cooked a decent meal for about a month. If I didn't have to go to work and uni I would crawl out of bed to get my vitamin supplements and a coffee and crawl back in and stay there all day I think it may be a winter thing, our house is freezing, it's snowing at the moment and it's all just too much effort!
    Quinoa is a godsend though, we've been eating tons of the stuff, add tomatoes and beans, crawl back into bed!
    Silent but deadly :p

Thumbs up Re: Low-prep/no-prep meals for lazy vegans

Hi Gumpish (& all),
    I've just read this thread for the first time and I think lord Sandwich has the answer.

Find a good source of nice wholemeal nutty/seedy bread - or buy a bread maker.

Just add a selection from: humus, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, bell-peppers, marmite, jam, peanut-butter, yeast pate, tofu pate, bean pate, marmalade, crisps, fake ham, sprouted beans, sliced vegggies (courgette, onions etc), spring onions, chocolate spread, sweet pickles, pickled onions, chutney, mango chutney, seeds, mustard, ketchup, bean chilli, tofu cream cheese, soy-cheese, egg-free-mayo, and maybe a marg/spread of your choice ( I use Pure Organic).

All can be; kept in the fridge for days, bought ready made, mixed-and-matched for variety. And there are organic variants of most.

No washing up, no dishes, no cutlery, no cooking, no leftovers, no cutting (except maybe the bread, veggies, and the sandwich in half to prevent filling loss).

And I think, if you are careful, you could meet pretty much all your nutritional needs this way. I'm sure CC can correct me if I'm wrong.

I try to keep nearly all of the above items in the cupboard+fridge all the time.

Although I do love cooking, I never get bored of a sandwich.

Cumin
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

One of my fav low-prep ones is spicy black beans and rice. You can cook the rice in the microwave. Dump a can of black beans into a pot (medium heat), add a tbsp of chopped fresh parsley, 1/4 cup of store-bought salsa (mild or medium) and some flavorful hot sauce (however much you like, I use 2 tsp). Stir for five minutes, then serve over the rice.

quick breakfast:
    Amy's Tofu Scramble, is an awesome breakfast treat in-between cereal mornings.

It has a lovely tofuscramble, hashbrowns,and a couple tomato slices. I love it. And its done in 2.5minutes

for a quick lunch. maybe nuke a couple Boca Chic'n Patties (the vegan ones) and toss 'em on a bun w/ relish/veganaise/mustard.

quick dinner: bag of frozen vegetables, only takes a few minutes to steam, and toss in some monringstar farms chickn/beef strips. viola! or you can add sweet n sour/peanut sauce/minute rice/etc to change it up.

thats like 2 forks/1 plate/1 pan to wash for the entire day <3
    although i myself try to limit my [processed easy and quick microwaved] meals to only one meal. dont want to over do it....

ConsciousCuisine

Red face Re: Low-prep/no-prep meals for lazy vegans

Quote Cumin
    I'm sure CC can correct me if I'm wrong.

Love this thread! Keep those easy ideas coming! I'm coming up on my conventions season, and I'll need all the extra time I can get!!
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Lightbulb Re: Low-prep/no-prep meals for lazy vegans

It's not that I'm lazy (not all the time) but sometimes I'm just in a rush, so I don't have time to cook. I suggest next time you make something like vegetarian chilli or soup etc, just save some and put it in the freezer. So when you're in a hurry you can just pop it in the microwave, eat and go.
    ▼Laurin▼

Default Easy Vegan Recipes?

Can someone help me find some easy vegan recipes. I'm relatively new to this lifestyle and note: I have never really cooked in my life. I just came home for the summer for college and I want to start learning how and I need some simple recipes to get started with. Ideas?

~Emily

Default Re: Easy Vegan Recipes?

One of the first recipes I learnt (and is very hard to cock up) is a vegetable chilli. Even Wilson can cook that one

Just google for vegetable chilli, pick your favourite one and have a crack.

Good luck!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

mango woman

Sandwiches are incredibly easy.. see something you like? put it with a bunch of other stuff between two pieces of toasted bread. You can make it as simple or complex as you'd like. You can replace the bread with pitas, tortillas, english muffins, taco shells, pancakes, waffles, etc... basically the 'sandwhich' idea..

Salads are incredibly easy.. same concept as the sandwich.

EEmeral,

I posting these links for another new vegan (on another thread) who is also new to cooking. If you give us an idea of what you enjoy eating then we may come up with some recipes.

Random Girl
    The Vegan Chef
    VegWeb Recipes
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

VeganJohn

A chilli is a nice easy one. How about a tofu stir fry?

There are some excellent recipes on the net, as Diane has posted.

Good luck!!

I just made fried tofu for lunch, very delicious! Maybe not the healthiest thing to eat every day but good for a nice treat.

Get some extra firm tofu, squeeze out any water (gently, don't crumble the tofu) and cut into little cubes or whatever shape you like. Lightly coat with flour.

In a large wok (or deep fryer machine if you have one), add generous amounts of vegetable oil (you'll be deep frying the tofu). Let the oil heat up. Add the tofu cubes one by one and let it fry until golden and crispy.

Let the fried tofu sit on a plate with paper towel to absorb any extra oil. And then take the tofu and dip it in soy sauce, plum sauce, sweet'n'sour sauce, ketchup, etc.

YUM! Sort of tastes like chicken nuggets.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

VeganJohn

I'll have to try that Tigerlilly, might try it with 'freezed and squeezed' tofu for the extra chewiness.

Yeah, I don't like chewy foods but if you do, go for it. Next time I'm making my cubes a little thicker and adding some spices.

The first vegan things I made (and still make, as they're so delicious!) are the happy vegan cookies off vegweb.com.

I think one of the easiest things to cook is tofu scramble: cut up onion, garlic, bell peppers (or any kind of veg u like) and sautee it with a little oil, then crumble tofu into the pan, add curry powder, nutritional yeast, and some hot sauce, cook a little longer and you're good to go. also, spaghetti with baked beans is a very good "chili mac" kind of thing that's super simple and very yummy
    Peace Love Surf.

I like vegan Irish stew.

put layers of potato, onion, carrot and celery, a srinkle of garlic and some thyme, add a can of brown lentils and finish with a layer of potatoes.

Add 1 cup boiling water with 1 teaspoon fake beef stock and continue to add these cups until liquid just covers last layer of potatos.

Bake in oven about 1 1/2 hours with foil over top (or fast track in microwave for 10 mins).

Take foil off and allow potato to brown (about 1/2 hour).

Drain off as much of the liquid as you can and make a gravy with a vegan gravy mix (we can use gravox here as it has no actual meat products in it) to thicken and pour back over veg and serve.

That sounds good. Is that the same as a jigs dinner? I know people here have jigs dinner...which I think is a stew as well.

Quote DianeVegan
    EEmeral,

I posting these links for another new vegan (on another thread) who is also new to cooking. If you give us an idea of what you enjoy eating then we may come up with some recipes.

Random Girl
    The Vegan Chef
    VegWeb Recipes
    Thanks for the links. I like the Vegan Chef website.
    Everything I eat has its beginnings in a seed.

They sell mixes in a lot of grocery stores for hummus and falafel that only need water and I think they taste really good (you need to cook the falafel though). When I first went vegan, I made a lot of bean salads...I put beans (usually chickpeas, kidney, or black beans) in a bowl, added baby carrots, peppers, and whatever other veggies were in the fridge, and added a bit of dressing. Stir and eat. Yum. Just don't add the tomatoes until you're going to eat it, because they get gross when you leave leave them in the fridge for awhile.

Quote Tigerlily
    That sounds good. Is that the same as a jigs dinner? I know people here have jigs dinner...which I think is a stew as well.
    I don't know what jigs dinner is. My stew is based on my mothers Irish stew recipe except I replaced the lamb with lentils. Still tastes delicious and hearty. Many of my recipes are just based on meals with meat and I just substitute vegan options for the meat, you discover all manner of wonderful meals this way.

well, I'm into hummus sandwiches: 2 slices of vegan bread (preferrably some whole-grain or home-made), some cucumberslices, tomatoslices or whatever you'd like, and then some home-made hummus; 1 can of cooked chickpeas, some oliveoil, some carlic, salt and pepper, a bit of lemon juice and parsley or basil to taste. just put it all in the blender and soon you'll have the nicest spread ever. (you can make spreads from cooked aubergines too, just bake the aubergine, peel it, blend and taste with lemonjuice, salt and pepper)

rice and beans
    stir fry with tofu
    veggie chili
    pasta

Question help with recipies!

Could anyone please help me with any quick, tasty, easy vegan recipies. I am trying to beome vegan after years of being vegetarian and am finding it very challenging! I am at a loss as to what to eat in the middle of the day(am used to egg or cheese sandwiches) I would be really gratefull for any suggestions.

Thank you

Jane
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 8th, 2006 at 08:07 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar new thread.

Default help with recipies!

Thanks I'll take a look.

I'm not a big sandwich eater myself(since I'm mostly at home at lunchtime) but how about hummus, guacamole or vegan mayo and salad, or cheezly slices with pickle?
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Default Re: Fast & easy vegan food

1.Rice cakes topped with lots of mushy avocado and a little chutney
    2. Toast with veggie spread
    3. Fruit and nuts
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Benji

Talking Quick Sandwhich!

Ok I recently discovered this. It is great and quick to make. Can be made for school, work, ect.

Here is what you need.

A pita
    Some hummous (what kind is up to you)
    lettuce, onions, tomatoes (or anythign else that you want to throw in.
    Boca Spicy Chicken burgers (I suppose it could work with plain, but spicy tastes better)

Ok so basically you can microwave the boca burgers. So microwave that (it is even better if you have a microwave at school or at work (which is quite often the case). Now cut the pita open halfway. spread the hummous throughout the pita (on the inside). throw in lettuce, onion, ect. And last but not least throw in chicken burger.

I find this tastes quite excellent because the burger is kind of really spicy, and the hummous kind of neutrolizes it as well as makes for a tasty treat.

Hope you like it!

Default Fast vegan lunches?

Hey guys and girls, I am a new vegan and am looking for some recepies that I can do quickly or prepare and store ahead of time for my lunch at work.
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 21st, 2006 at 08:28 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Fast vegan lunches?

Hi! Have you had a chance to go through the recipie section of the forum? There are tons of great, quick and easy recipies in there.

Good Luck!

Quote Iamraley View Post
    Hey guys and girls, I am a new vegan and am looking for some recepies that I can do quickly or prepare and store ahead of time for my lunch at work.
    Pasta salad and rice salad work well. Sometimes I take a selection of dried and fresh fruit and nuts.
    Or you can take sandwiches of course.
    Vegan Lunch Box
    http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
    has a fabulous choice of ideas. She posts mouth watering pictures too! Check the LH side of her site for archived lunch boxes!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

pasta, beans and toast, brown rice w/ vegan butter and soy sauce mixed in, salads, smoothies, mini pizzas (slices of bread topped with tomato sauce and veggies and spices, baked until crisp), baked potatoes cooked in the microwave with whatever toppings you feel like, nachos, fruit salad, fruit, seeds, nuts, mock tuna melts, mock tuna lettuce wraps, mock tuna or any other kindof sandwich....

mmm so many quick foods are so good. anyways, any combo of any of those would make a good quick meal.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Quick vegetable side dishes

I am always at a bit of a loss as to what to make in terms of vegetable side dishes. Roasted veg is great, but turning on the oven just for veggies is a bit wasteful IMO. I recently got a fabulous vegetable steamer, but aside from adding mustard, or olive oil, lemon juice or peanut sauce my side veggies are always a bit boring. Does anyone have any tips or recipes they can share?

Thanks

Default Re: Quick vegetable side dishes

"roasting" veggies in a large pan on the stove works quite well
    Piggy

Since I'm catering for toddlers we get through quite a bit of mashed potato which can be quite a comfort food. I mash in swede, turnip, celeriac...I can even get away with pur&#233;ed brussels. It's a nice wintery type of thing really which you can top with pine-nuts etc..if you like.

i really like steamed kale with a bit of tamari and some sesame seeds. go easy on the tamari, though, it can be pretty salty and overpowering.

My absolute favorite:

1. Get vegan lasagna recipe
    2. Make the either of the 'cheeses' described in the recipe
    3. Steam broccoli
    4. Heat up 'cheese', pour on broccoli
    5. Enjoy the wonder of vegan cheesey broccoli!

Mmm broccoli. Sesame oil on brocolli is nice too.
    Mashed carrot and turnip/swede is one of my faves, with a bit of marg and lots of black pepper.

I like most veg just by itself though

or mashed cauliflower with garlic

Default Quick and easy curry

Heat 10ml oil in a pan with lid (I use light olive oil for this, and a glass lid is helpful although not essential)
    Add a finely chopped medium-sized onion and cook gently over a moderate heat for a few minutes until softened but not browned
    Add some chopped garlic (to your taste) and cook for another minute
    Now add 1/3 jar Pataks Roghan Josh curry paste (no lactic acid in this one), stir in the paste and cook for a minute or two
    Add about 250ml passata (I use the stuff that comes in cartons) and 1/2 tsp sugar, stir again and cook gently for a minute or so
    Add 250gm mushrooms*, stir and cook for another couple of minutes (don't let the mushrooms get too soft) then turn off the heat, let it stand for another couple of minutes and it's ready

Add a bit more passata if necessary but remember that the mushrooms will give up some of their liquid to the sauce so see how it goes before adding extra passata.

Serve with pakora and/or bhajis - also nice with salt & pepper tofu. I serve this curry in individual dishes with the pakoras, etc., on the side to be dipped into the sauce. Leftovers? Reheat gently - nice with a jacket potato.

*mushrooms: choose firm mushrooms, if small then leave them whole otherwise cut into 1/2s or 1/4s if larger (chestnut mushrooms are nice in this recipe).

Passata? Sieved tomatoes, like a thinner tomato puree. You can buy passata in jars/bottles but this is more like chopped tomatoes so look for the one sold in cartons for this recipe.

Default Re: Quick and easy curry

Mmm this sounds so good. I was in the mood for a nice curry, just like this the other day. I'm gonna keep this recipe handy and make it next time I want curry.

Apart from korma, Rogan Josh is my favorite curry
    yum yum

Sometimes I add a (well-rinsed and drained) tin of chick peas, peas, cut green beans or butter beans to this curry.

Another quick 'n' easy recipe to try... heat about 10 ml of light olive oil and a tsp of dairy-free spread in a heavy frying pan - add sliced left-over new potatoes (cut to about 1 cm thick) - sprinkle over some Schwartz Bombay Crushed Curry Spices http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?id=5084 - fry until the potatoes are browned, turning them over a couple of times. You can also make this with (well-rinsed and drained) tinned potatoes.

Btw, Patak's Curry Paste is on on offer in Asda for &#163;1 a jar at the moment.

The new Seeds of Change madras sauce is quite nice for a quick spicy curry.

Quote Pob View Post
    The new Seeds of Change madras sauce is quite nice for a quick spicy curry.
    We've tried this, also Patak's Jalfrezi and Rogan Josh Curry Sauces in a jar. Tend to make the quick 'n' easy curry as it only takes a few minutes and makes a thicker curry sauce that's good for dipping bhajis, pakora and/or samosas into.

Schwartz's Spicy Bombay Crushed Curry Spices also makes a nice, quick curry. http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?id=5084