Thread: Sulfites

Default Sulfites

I think my allergy might be sulfites - I did a heart rate test last night with some dried apricots (the bright orange ones) and my heart rate went up by 20 beats per minute and I got a headache and felt tired. Now I am confused coz I don't know what to avoid or how serious this is. Does anyone have any info or know of a good link? Or know who to consult?

PinkFluffyCloud

I get that, Banana, my Heart suddenly goes crazy, then I get headachey and feel like I need to sleep, it's horrible. I can't trace the source, yet, as it often happens after a mixed meal.
    WTF is a Sulfite?
    Don't get too worried, maybe do more home-testing and read up about it, as I will. Let me know what you discover!

Sulfites I think are a sort of additive. I know it is in dried apricots to keep them "nice and orange". It is used to stop things going brown and as a preservative as well. I think it is in lots of stuff, but I cannot find any consistent info.

OMG!!!!! I totally get this same exact reaction sometimes!! I never really told anyone...but after certain meals...I really cant pinpoint exact ingredients that trigger this...but my heart races...I get really really lethargic...very sleepy..like im gonna pass out..almost a drunk feeling...and a headache...hmmmm..i wonder if its sulfites??? although i dont eat much dried fruit...what else contains sulfites? ugh...i wanna know what this is!

You can get sulfite-free dried apricots.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Oh I know - but I think a lot of things contain sulphites. I hardly ever eat dried apricots anyway - I just used them for the heart rate test coz I know that they have significant amounts in them

Default Re: Sulfites

I get migraines from orange juice and got a migraine yesterday from gnocci (containing dried potatoes). The linking factor? Sulfites!
    How did I figure this out? I did a search on potatoes and migraines and discovered my arch nemesis OJ on the sulfite list.
    http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=666
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

This always happens to me after I eat french fries at this certain restaurant.. scares the crap outta me.

cvC

Here's an article I saw about sulphites a while ago:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/hea...cle2087125.ece