Thread: New Veg Buffet

Default New Veg Buffet

Another Tai Chinese Veg buffet has sprung up near the Blackwells on Charing Cross Road. I went in this evening and was quite impressed, the food was good and hot and they had a wider selection of dishes than the one on Old Compton Street. There was an especially yummy kidney bean and aubergine thing and nice sweet and sour vegetables as well as all the usual fake meats and mini spring rolls. The chap running it promises all kinds of goodies including lasagna and cake in the near future.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Default Re: New Veg Buffet

Lasagne and cake? Sounds exciting. And I love aubergine in anything. Thanks for letting us know.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Buddha Belly

I may try this tomorrow

BlackCats

Cool, thanks.

(have come here via beanstew's link in the the London thread) That sounds good especially if they have some actual vegetables - it's surprising how few they manage to serve in some of those oriental buffet places. Is TVP that much cheaper than veg? Or perhaps it's just easier to prepare?

Just been in today to this new buffet place. It was nice and the guy said that the organic shop will be opened in 5 days time! Whoopee!
    He said that they are also going to be opening a secret lounge downstairs where they will be serving cakes oohh lovely. Apart from the buffet they are also going to be doing a la carte which seems like a fab idea to me and, and a hot pot. The only problem now though is that I live out in Surrey and hardly go into town. Hm.. looks like I will have to go again soon to try it all out.

Thanks to all for the recommendation. I tried this new buffet last Tuesday, but found it disappointing. There was a wide range of dishes, including an incongruous Indian-style one rather like Bombay aloo, but few of the dishes were actually particularly good. Although the selection of raw vegetables and a good fruit salad for dessert were welcome, and the service was very friendly, I’m afraid I’ll be going back to the Euston Road buffet the next time I’m in London, as in my opinion it has the best choice of good-quality dishes.

Also, there were very, very few customers at Tata when I was there on Tuesday evening, so it must have been running at a massive loss. I wonder why there are so many of these buffets clustered together in central London, when there are very few (if any) in other areas of London, and none whatsoever in any other cities. I wish somebody would open an Edinburgh or Glasgow franchise!

What was really crazy was how there used to be two buffets on the Euston Road, side by side. Although the one which has now gone used to be my preferred one (partly because it was even cheaper than the others!), the remaining one is very good.

Quote Golebnik View Post
    Although the one which has now gone used to be my preferred one
    Mine too.

I agree it would be great to have one of these elsewhere. Brighton would be a good spot too!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell