Thread: any restaurants near canals

Default any restaurants near canals

we found a pub near the kennet and avon canal at great bedwyn, the cross keys, they have a fair selection of vegan food, and worth a visit. there was also a veggie/vegan pub - porters- in bath.
    Has any one found other establishments within walking distance of canals, especially any rural ones.
    This/next year we will be in midlands somewhere and would like to eat out a bit if possible.

Default Re: any restaurants near canals

Think there were quite a few pubs near the canal that goes through Oxford, but I don't know if any of them does vegan food - maybe you could check some of these out before you go

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and...nd-restaurants

So it's not that rural (and not in the midlands) .. but on the Grand Union Canal - I have often stopped at Woody's cafe / restaurant in Apsley (just outside North London). It's veggie but vegan friendly...

thanks all,
    i suspect next year 2011 will see a trip down to london, not sure if we will go into birmingham this coming year.
    mr fibble, yes i thought it a bit odd to ask, wasnt sure if anyone else was into canals, we spotted a liveaboard boat near bath this year vith a vegan sticker in the window.
    paul

Hi paul,

Do you live on a boat? It's a couple of years ago now, but "girl can" and I lived on a Dutch barge for a while. We didn't look for restaurants etc, but spent some time on the Medway, Thames and (after a scary trip around the coast!) the Broads. Also on the Grand Union canal - we saw what appeared to be a vegan liveabord narrowboat just south of the railway bridge at Croxley, but were too shy to say hello!

:sigh: I really miss that life.

hi tin_can,
    no we dont live aboard but we have a twelth share in a 62ft narrow boat based south west of rugby where the south oxford joins the grand union. this seems to be a happy comprimise with 4 weeks boating a year.
    I said a passing hello to the boat but we were behind a boat we were traveling with.
    are there any others into canals on here?
    paul

Quote paul46 View Post
    are there any others into canals on here?
    I live near some canals, but luckily I have not yet been into them.

There is, however, a fabulous little veg*n restaurant near the canals called poêles de carottes, not that that does you much good over on your side of the channel, though!

I'm interested in canal history and the fact that they now provide lots of good footpaths, but have only had the pleasure of travelling on them a few times.

Napton is very close to us.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Apparently the Canalside Cafe in Birmingham has a vegan menu.

sounds like a trip into birmingham is on the cards, wharehouse was good when i went there. so a week around the bcn looks good to me.
    paul

Prawnil

I love canals. I've spent time on the canals for a little while each year, for most years of my life, mainly the avon ring. We only travelled to Birmingham once and it didn't really go well. What a nice thread. Good luck!

Will a lake do?

Llyn Crafnant in the county of Conwy North Wales has a small lakeside cafe on it, the food is basic, beans and jacket spud etc but what isnt basic is the scenery. You get to sit on funny mismatched plastic chairs right on the edge of the lake with the water lappping by you amongst the start of the Carneddiau range of mountains. You will be served by one of the grumpiest guys in the world, who does nothing but moan about how hard his lot in life is and yet he lives in one of the most incredible places in Snowdonia. Well worth a visit, plenty of great walks for all levels of fitness in the area too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llyn_Crafnant

Cafe is only open between March and October.

I can think of a few places near lakes, but not sure that paul would be able to get his canal boat there

Smile Re: any restaurants near canals

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I can think of a few places near lakes, but not sure that paul would be able to get his canal boat there
    Bother being dyslexic! Im always just out of sinc with everyone else... at least I get to have a good laugh at myself quite often!:smile: