Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vegan cheese

Default Re: Vegan cheese

[QUOTE=thegreenjudy;715676]
    Quote Vedic Malakai View Post

Wow thanks!

But how do you make cashew butter? Is it just blended cashews?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    YES! Blend your cashews in a blender or food processor. For a more nutty flavor, toast them in a dry skillet for a couple minutes on each side, first, but for this recipe, I usually use raw cashew butter.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Wilmersburger is great!
    I like the slices but I just tried the pizzaschmeltz and found it a bit tasteless. It does melt really well though! Maybe it'll taste better on cold leftover pizza, that's what I found with Teese.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    I am totally impressed that this is also available now in the UK and even in Spain.
    I know that Spain has a bad reputation when it comes to vegan-friendliness but Barcelona and Madrid have quite alot of vegan options these days. Barcelona has three entirely vegan shops and more vegan restaurants.

VeganStore are selling a Vegan Gouda from Soyatoo. I've got a pack that I will be opening soon, anyone else tried this?

Quote Firestorm View Post
    VeganStore are selling a Vegan Gouda from Soyatoo. I've got a pack that I will be opening soon, anyone else tried this?
    I've seen it but it isn't on the top of my list of things to try, I must admit. However I might if it's anywhere as good as the Wilmersburger gouda slices. It comes in a tub, is it a spread?
    Houmous atá ann!

If it's anything like sheese gouda then eat it with a bucket within reach.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    If it's anything like sheese gouda then eat it with a bucket within reach.
    Not a fan, I take it?
    Houmous atá ann!

I just recently (this weekend) tried making vegan pizza with non-dairy cheese. Normally I prefer it without, just marinara sauce and toppings, but I fancied a change, so I bought the non-dairy, non-soya cheezly melting cheese. Not a success. It was salty, greasy, had no real texture and, worst of all, exuded a little lake of nasty, oily water on top of the pizza! Would not recommend! Cheezly seem to have changed their packaging recently (or at least, since I last bought non-dairy cheese). I used to get the one that specifically said it was mozzarella-style melting cheese - anybody know if it still does the biz?
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I've seen it but it isn't on the top of my list of things to try, I must admit. However I might if it's anywhere as good as the Wilmersburger gouda slices. It comes in a tub, is it a spread?
    I just opened it, its very solid and reminded me of Vegerella. Not tasty but may be ok melted!

I just opened it, its very solid and reminded me of Vegerella. Not tasty but may be ok melted!
    I just put some in a Red Onion & Chive Bagel and stuck it in the microwave. It was lovely melted!

I just put some in a Red Onion & Chive Bagel and stuck it in the microwave. It was lovely melted!
    Sorry, now I really want a red onion and chive bagel!

Quote Wraithling View Post
    I just recently (this weekend) tried making vegan pizza with non-dairy cheese. Normally I prefer it without, just marinara sauce and toppings, but I fancied a change, so I bought the non-dairy, non-soya cheezly melting cheese. Not a success. It was salty, greasy, had no real texture and, worst of all, exuded a little lake of nasty, oily water on top of the pizza! Would not recommend! Cheezly seem to have changed their packaging recently (or at least, since I last bought non-dairy cheese). I used to get the one that specifically said it was mozzarella-style melting cheese - anybody know if it still does the biz?
    I don't think I've tried Cheezly, but that actually sounds like dairy cheese so.
    At least from what I remember, so maybe I need to try it, haha. Daiya is my go-to. I still like Follow Your Heart too. I'm open to whatever is in my reach though. What I find is that while there is progress on the melted cheese front, we are severely lacking in cold cheese. When I was a kid I ate tons of the American slices stuff, haven't found anything like it yet. Just melted.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Cheezly is fairly acceptable, don't think it's available in the US though Shadowtears. As has been mentioned here a good few times, Vegusto do great hard cheese, but it's also not available in the US! You do get Daiya though, which I really like.

Wraithling, are you sure you used a non-soya melting cheezly? I didn't know that existed. I find that the soy melting mozzarella style works pretty well on pizza, though it can be a bit bland.

In fairness, the quality of soy cheese has transformed so dramatically over the past ten years that I'm pretty confident we'll see more and more improvements as time goes on. A good quality and readily available dairy-free cheese could potentially become as ubiquitous as soy-milk has become over the past 10-15 years.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I think you may be able to get Cheezly in the US from Vegan Essentials or similar. But I'm not sure if you'd think it's preferable to Daiya (which I've only had once or twice).

BTW I may already have said this but my 88-year-old mother is quite partial to Vegusto which is a bit of a breakthrough as she has been eating mostly vegetarian food for years but has had difficulty kicking the dairy habit. I know not everyone likes it though.

I think you may be able to get Cheezly in the US from Vegan Essentials or similar. But I'm not sure if you'd think it's preferable to Daiya (which I've only had once or twice).
    I wouldn't bother with Cheezly at all if I easier access to Daiya!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Yes I do think it is available at Vegan Essentials, along with other brands. I order there sometimes, can't really afford to so much now. I'll probably try it sometime, I'm curious now. Anyone else find vegan cheese addicting? Similiar to how cheese made with cow's milk is? I find that odd, I've heard there may be addictive qualities in animal milk but Daiya? I don't actually know anything about this, just found it weird and so I stay more away from vegan cheese now for health reasons. (I was badly into cheese before I became vegan.)
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden