Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan cheese

Default Vegan cheese

Can you all help me weigh in on vegan cheeses?

I tried a vegan cheese a few years ago when I wasn't vegan - I believe it was FYH cheddar, the package said vegan gourmet. I remember breaking off a crumble, tasting it and immediately throwing it in the garbage. I dunno - does it taste better melted or in a dish?

I also just discovered Daiya vegan cheese - which apparently is used in vegan restaurants - which I will definitely be investigating when I go back home to NYC for Christmas. From the website it looks fairly yummy.

I've been using garlic hummus as a replacement for cheese lately. I eat it with toast and it kind of tastes like cheese spread to me. And I put a dollop of it on my chik'n parmesan, which was very delicious.

And I've been researching cashew cheese recipes, which I plan on trying as soon as I can invest in a food processor and a cheese cloth.

But in the mean while, it's discuss cheese shall we?

Default Re: Vegan Cheese

Strong Cheddar Sheese is my favourite. It is super yum grated in sandwiches with lots of tomato and pepper.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Frankly, all the vegan cheeses I've had taste better with something else! Some of them are good for cooking, not sure which of the US ones are though.

I agree that hummus is often a fine alternative to cheese if you want something to have with bread etc

Buddha Belly

I actually ate normal Cheesly by itself yesterday. I always thought it tasted rank, but it was quite nice.
    I prefer the Blue style scheese which I adore on crackers.
    Vegan cheese's are definitely an acquired taste. I was a total cheese head BV (before vegan) and never thought I would like it, but tatses change I suppose.

Is it possible to get scheese in US shops?
    Online is....

http://www.buteisland.com/a_suppliers.htm

It is my great vegan pleasure to mention a NEW vegan cheese. It's called "We Can't Say It's Cheese" and it comes in little tubs. On the internet, you can find it at Vegan Essentials in Food > Cheese Alternatives and I believe it is on page 2. It should be in Pangea in the next few weeks.

It's great because, regardless of taste, the ingredients are really healthy. It doesn't have anything bad in it, not even a tiny bit. It is really delicious. The most popular flavor is the Hickory Smoked and after that the Mexi Cheddar.

Hi, I'm a new vegan (vegetarian for 10 yrs until this month). Is there any decent vegan cheese out there (without artificial ingredients or preservatives) that I can use as a cheese substitute sliced in my sandwiches? I tried Vegan Gourmet on the suggestion of a vegan I inquired with at my local natural foods market. It was ok melted on my Gardenburger, but I really need something with the "bite" and texture of dairy cheese in my cold sandwiches. I also tried Galaxy's vegan cheese (the sliced, individually wrapped versions that look like orange Kraft "cheesefood") and it was so god-awful, I spit it out in the sink and threw the whole package away. I get that there are protein alternatives (like hummus spread) but I am so used to having the texture and biting into the cheese of my sandwiches.
    Help!

I tend to find flavored Vegan cheese tastier that plain (Redwoods Cheezly with Bacon Style Pieces or Redwoods Nacho). You could try Tofutti Cheddar or Mozzarella Slices (they also do a block of cheddar) I find this quite nice (but is a bit on the unhealthy side). It may be hard however to find a Vegan cheese without artificial ingredients or preservatives (it may be better to try a nut cheese instead - you could try making your own even).

If I feel that I want something cheesey and Soya cheese does quite curb the craving I mix some nutritional yeast with some Soya yogurt and grate cheese into that.

Hello karmachick - another idea might be to put something else with "bite" into your sandwiches, such as sliced celery or carrot, along with hummus, nut butter or another protein-y filling that you like. That might give you more of the texture you want.

There are some quite good vegan cheeses coming on to the market now (different ones in the UK from the US so I won't name brands - try searching the forum for "cheese" and you'll find more threads). However I think if you are a recent cheese-eater you may not find them 100% satisfactory. Adding mustard and chutney (=relish?) can give them a bit more flavour though (or mask the one they have ).

Grilled tofu sandwiches are also good - have you tried those?

Hi y'all, I think that the Daiya varieties are quite nice (unfortunately not available in Europe :-(
    So if you have not tried them out, give them a try. At a recent trip to the US I also tried out the 'vegan gourmet' and a few others and they were godawful. The Daiya was very nice, however.

Best regards,
    Andy

namaste

I like to make my own nut cheese. I blend 1 cup of cashews with 1/4 red bell pepper, 2 tablespoon tamari, 2 tablespoons yeast flakes and enough filtered water to allow the blender to turn. Unless you've got a vitamix don't try to make without water, just be happy with a soft cheese and not a burned out blender!

I recently experimented with making a cheese spread and am quite pleased with it. I blended raw cashews into a butter, added rice vinegar and olive oil (to taste and texture...like a tablespoon at a time), a little lemon juice, dill weed, chives, garlic salt/powder.....oh, and of course nutritional yeast (I add that to the butter before anything else). If the mix is too thick to mix, just drizzle in water or almond milk to thin it out. I probably tossed in a little mustard too now that I think about it. The taste seems to get even better overnight. I purposely need to avoid soy and am determined to find good alternatives to cheeses.

I just had nachos with daiya cheese (pepperjack) and a few weeks ago had pizza with the... you know, the white italian one they put on pizza (can't even close to spell it). Both are knock you on your ass awesome. Now for the cheddar!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I live in the US too and I have found Galaxy's veggie cheese good- especially the mozzarella, I'm pretty obsessed with it. I know they sell it throughout Michigan - I would assume you could find it elsewhere in the US!

I really like CSD's Teese (Mozzarella taste) for Pizza.
    I was quite sceptical at first, and it really sucked in sandwiches, but on Pizza it was great (applying it on the crust, then tomatos, and then some more on top of the tomatos).

Best regards,
    Andy

you probably know by now but daiya cheese is soy and gluten free and super yummy wish they did it in the uk! whenever anyone i know goes over to the US on holiday, i get them to bring me some daiya back in a chilled bag :P

hiya, sorry to wheel this thread out again...I find all cheese substitutes gross...(at least what's available in the UK) I tried to do the cashew cheese and decided that chashews taste better on their own

Actually I need something that melts and tastes nice...doesn't even need to be an official cheese substitute...I think avocado melts under heat, doesn't it?? Hummus doesn't really melt ... maybe I just use vegan cheese sauce..

No, avocado doesn't melt. In fact, I think it hardens when heated.

What do you need it for? That might help with suggestions.

Yeah...I like mashed avocado on sandwiches. I don't think of it as a cheese substitute, but I guess it serves a similar purpose (adds a little fat and creaminess). But I wouldn't use it in things that are heated.

You said that you don't care for cheese subs, but were thinking about cheese sauce. Have you ever tried a nutritional yeast based sauce? The ones I have made involve a bit of oil, veg broth, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and a few other flavorings (bit of soy sauce, paprika, etc). It tastes quite a bit different than the firm cheese substitutes and are lower in fat (unless you use a recipe with a ton of oil). I'm not sure I would use it on something like pizza, but it's good in things like mac & cheese, tofu scrambles, nachos, enchiladas, etc.

Well at least it melts in the pan I was thinking about stuff like Pizza or anything you would usually melt cheese over it...

I read that you can make cheese sauce yourself by melting nutritional yeast in some vegan margarine..if I don't put too much marg in I might be able to put it on a pizza and it might melt a little bit!?!

For pizza, try sliced tinned artichoke. It won't melt of course but I've found it works well instead of cheese on both pizzas and in pasta sauces etc.

Quote Risker View Post
    For pizza, try sliced tinned artichoke. It won't melt of course but I've found it works well instead of cheese on both pizzas and in pasta sauces etc.
    Oh Thanks I'll try that one

i keep trying cheeze alternatives and have come to the conclusion that they are a waste of money for me really.

i'm the only one who would eat them and i can't eat a whole block myself.

plus i'm not really keen on the taste, i'd rather do without and use nutritional flakes etc as a pizza alternative.

bleugh!

cedarblue, i'm pretty sure you can freeze cheezly. also in my local H&B they sell bags of ready-grated vegan "mozzarella" which would probably do two or maybe three pizzas (full size). expensive though, around £2.50 but then i am a cheapskate (who doesn't even like vegan cheese - why on earth was i looking at it then?!)

VeganStore are selling Teese now.

tried my first cheese substitute yesterday - sheese. It was nice! If you imagine it is smoked cheddar before you take a bite it isn't too different! I'm not sure how it will melt though...

Quote Firestorm View Post
    VeganStore are selling Teese now.
    Hey, snap! I came on here to say that! We must both have got the same email from them!

Pretty pricey though!

Quote rainbow View Post
    Hey, snap! I came on here to say that! We must both have got the same email from them!
    I ordered some within an hour of getting the email! It is expensive as Risker says but it's a bit bigger than other vegan cheeses (283 gram)

Default Cashew Cheese!!!

Cashew Cheese is the way to go! I love cashew cheese and use it all the time. The cool thing about it is you can change it up in a million different ways to suit the food you are eating it with. Also, I would imagine it is a bit healthier eating a cashew cheese which is made from whole foods by you instead of processed food made of isolated substances. If anyone wants to check it out, I have a cashew cheese recipe on my blog that I use all the time. Yummy stuff! If you do check it out, I would love to know what you think. Love, Peace, and Candy Grease!

Creamy Cashew Cheese Recipe:
    http://veganinthevan.blogspot.com/20...ew-cheese.html

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Default Re: Cashew Cheese!!!

thank you for your input on the vegan friendly cheese can you incorporate tofu into the cheese (i'm a brand new vegan and i've only used tofu one time in my stir fry, i don't really know many cooking techniques for it)
    live in unconditional love and joy, share in compassion with others and the world around you, inspire your peers to reach their goals

I've made cashew cheese in the past and its well worth the effort but I don't think adding tofu would be good (one of the benefits of cashew cheese is that its soy free).
    There are lots of recipes online for using tofu, a few of my favourites are tofu bacon, quiche and tofu in blackbean sauce but personally I prefer the texture of tempeh and seitan.

i shall have to investigate, thank you.
    live in unconditional love and joy, share in compassion with others and the world around you, inspire your peers to reach their goals

So I finally had some Daiya when I was over in the States. I had it in three different sandwiches in a vegan sandwich place in NYC and I loved it. It was melted in all three, and I thought the taste and texture were both really good
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I looked up your recipe for cashew cheese and am going to get myself some cashews and try. You mention that one of the benefits it that it is soy free. Are there problems with soy? Aloha.

Quote Rose Braverman View Post
    You mention that one of the benefits it that it is soy free. Are there problems with soy? Aloha.
    Personally I don't think there are problems with soy (except some people are allergic), but a great deal of processed vegan products are made from soy (cheese, mock meats, milks, creams, ice creams, fish, chocolate) and I feel that too much of anything is not great for you so I actively try to put some soy free alternatives into my diet such as rice, oat, hazelnut, almond products etc.

There is far more discussion about it in these threads:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...highlight=soya
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...highlight=soya

I looked up your recipe for cashew cheese
    I just wanted to point out that this is Jackrabbitfreedom's recipe, not mine

Thanks for the clarification and thanks to Jackrabbitfreedom for the recipe. You make a good point about soy being used so much, I agree. I will check out the threads.

Good to hear your validation on Daiya. It sounds like something good to try. It wasn't available through my local healthfood store, so I checked Amazon. They had it listed but they say they will alert when it is available. I don't know if Amazon has the same products in Europe as it does in the states, but thought I would let you know.

Default Re: Cashew Cheese!!!

Quote KattJohnson View Post
    thank you for your input on the vegan friendly cheese can you incorporate tofu into the cheese (i'm a brand new vegan and i've only used tofu one time in my stir fry, i don't really know many cooking techniques for it)
    Adding tofu might work, but would probably mess with the texture and taste in bad ways. I'm not a huge tofu fan, mostly because of the way soy affects your Thyroid gland. Soy has more or less become my guilty pleasure; almost all vegan junk food is made with it...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the clarification and thanks to Jackrabbitfreedom for the recipe....
    You're Welcome Rose. Hope you like it.... and most of all, have fun making it your own.

Daiya is great, but I find it to be only good when it's melted.

I have decided to give a few vegan cheeses a try, I want to try Dr. Cow's Tree Nut Cheeses from VE, and gonna try Parma from there too. I want to give Daiya a shot as well, cause i hear amazing things from it.

Anyone try these?

Im not usually big on replacements but I have no issues with them and think its amazing how creative people are with these products, so thought id finally give it a try. Ill post what i find with the Dr. Cow's Cheese and Parma. Just gonna find some Daiya in a supermarket.

Quote TarekF View Post
    I have decided to give a few vegan cheeses a try, I want to try Dr. Cow's Tree Nut Cheeses from VE, and gonna try Parma from there too. I want to give Daiya a shot as well, cause i hear amazing things from it.

Anyone try these?

Im not usually big on replacements but I have no issues with them and think its amazing how creative people are with these products, so thought id finally give it a try. Ill post what i find with the Dr. Cow's Cheese and Parma. Just gonna find some Daiya in a supermarket.
    ooh, not heard of either of those, not sure if they're available in uk.
    The best I've tasted is No-Muh, but never actually bought any.
    I normally get the soy-free Cheezly. mmm...yum. My omni friend loves it, which is great! And the pepperjack one is great too.

Quote TarekF View Post

Anyone try these?

I think the best thing to do would be to approach all vegan cheese with low expectations. Don't expect any of them to really taste like cheese and you probably won't be disappointed. That said, I do really like Cheezly and Daiya.

Default Re: Vegan cheese

I didn't like the Dr. Cow's Cheese, but it was shipped with a cold pack, so perhaps it just wasn't very fresh or went bad slightly. Not that it tasted horrible, just wasn't my cup of tea.

The Parma is really good. It doesn't taste like parmesan that much but i really love the walnut, nutritional yeast and himalayan salt mix that they have. It smells quite like parmesan though.

Ive not tried alot of vegan cheese, only cheezly and the sheese but i find this one the best and havent changed yet

http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/...lla_style.html

As others in this thread have done, I recently made my own homemade cashew cheese with blended cashews, lemon juice, tahini, nutritional yeast, garlic and onion powders, cayenne, agar flakes, and a few other ingredients I can't think of off hand. It turned out beautifully textured and I was able to slice it and put it in sandwiches. It doesnt taste like traditional cheese, but the texture is close and it still tastes great in it's own way. I love this cashew cheese but then I am not a fan of regular cheese (I was also lactose intolerant and the horrid cramps I used to get scared me away from even craving cheese years ago). I still have not tried any vegan cheeses other than that. My sister on the otherhand, who is now vegetarian and trying to work on becoming vegan, loves cheese and is trying all the vegan cheeses on the market, one by one. I'll have to report on what she likes. She is a very finicky eater.

Quote MagicMegyn View Post
    Ive not tried alot of vegan cheese, only cheezly and the sheese but i find this one the best and havent changed yet

http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/...lla_style.html
    Have you tried to melt it? I've tried the cheddar style, and I don't like it much. For now, I'm just using it up combined with other stuff, so I don't have to taste it much. Same for Cheezly Mozzarella style. Says it would melt, but didn't on my pizza. Will try it grated again though, had only sliced it. Maybe it was still too chunky to melt. Cheese wouldn't be the reason for me to go back to vegetarian, but I still really miss cheese. I was a cheese queen lol :/ Cheese sauce was easy to replace by a sweet potato-coconut recipe.

Quote bunnyturtle View Post
    Have you tried to melt it? I've tried the cheddar style, and I don't like it much. For now, I'm just using it up combined with other stuff, so I don't have to taste it much. Same for Cheezly Mozzarella style. Says it would melt, but didn't on my pizza. Will try it grated again though, had only sliced it. Maybe it was still too chunky to melt. Cheese wouldn't be the reason for me to go back to vegetarian, but I still really miss cheese. I was a cheese queen lol :/ Cheese sauce was easy to replace by a sweet potato-coconut recipe.
    - - - Updated - - -

<BR><BR>

I havent tried to melt it no, so I have no idea if it will melt, also I to found it hard to give up chese as I loved it so much. HOWEVER, I went to a vegan fate the weekend and I tried this cheese
    http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/no-moo...144054038.html
    AND SERIOUSLY CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT, ITS LUSH LUSH LUSH LUSH LUSH!!!!!!!!!

You must try it!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

They also do a melt one

http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/no-moo...144054052.html

I love Daiya's cheese! It melts really well and has a great texture.

On Pizza, I like the Chicago Soy Dairy's "Teese", especially the mozzarella style. It does not melt well when you put it on top of things (here Daiya is much better, but unfortunately not available in Europe), but I have had very good results with putting it directly on the pizza and putting the toppings (tomatoes) on top of it – then it melts well and forms a layer of melted cheese.

In Germany, there’s a new product called “Wilmersburger” that is quite good – there are two varieties, one similar to Daiya “Pizza melt” and now very recently also slices that are incredibly close to cow cheese. Don’t know if that is also available in other European countries.

Best regards,
    Andy

I am absolutely loving the Vegusto hard cheeses at the moment. They're the first ones I've had that actually taste like real cheese.