Thread: Vegan/Vegetarian Bed and Breakfasts in USA

Default Vegan/Vegetarian Bed and Breakfasts in USA

Does anyone know of any Vegan/Vegetarian Bed and Breakfasts in the United States?

There is one on cape cod..where I'm from its in the town of Dennis...the town where i grew up actually.....the name of t is somewhere on this forum..i totally forget...but it does exist and supposed to be really good....the summers are awful on the caoe though..waaayyyyy too crowded ugh:P
    but its beutiful...although I am biased

tommorrow I should get my old computer back...and it has a link saved about vegan bed and breakfasts in the US. I will post it, although I can tell you that there are ones in Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Arizona, California for sure, but not sure of the contact info. I looked them up for a possible trip I was planning before my finances went into upheaval.
    Some of them are quite cheap!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Talking

http://www.vegetarian-vacations.com/usbandb.html

here's one although not the one i have on my other computer...this one looks better though...

The white pig in Virginia is the one I thought looked super fab!
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Thank you so much! I'd love to hear about the other one too if you find it.

I've stayed at Serendipity in Ocean City, NJ. Here's the link . The vegan breakfast was really good and the location was great, 1 minute from the boardwalk. My only problem was that I found the owners to be not too friendly. I think I might have been given the "oh, you're a fat vegan? yeah, right" attitude.

That place looks pretty good... and the rates aren't terrible... which room did you stay in and do you feel it was worth the price? Is there stuff to do in Ocean City?

We stayed in the blissfully blue room. I had specified I wanted a tub when I made the reservation, I love long soaks when on vacation but when we checked in, they put us in the rose room which is a bit claustrophobic. Me, being me, complained and they moved us to the room we had reserved!

We went 2 winters ago. I love the beach in the winter. We walked the boardwalk and a few shops are open as well as one arcade that has all the old video games like tetris, pac man etc. and air hockey so we enjoyed that. It's only maybe 20 minutes to Atlantic CIty (vomit) and about 1/2 hour to Cape May which is a great place to walk around and loads to do there. Ocean City is a dry town, no alcohol allowed, so it attracts a quiet bunch. I like that about the town. We found a few places who could make us vegan food including a chinese place right down the street.

A dry town?! =(

From Veg News:

www.stanfordinn.com Mendocino coast

www.sweetthymeinn.com Pocahontas County, VA

www.thewhitepig.com Blue Ridge Mountains, VA

www.serendipitynj.com NJ

www.sweetonioninn.com Green Mountains, Vermont

www.caroldukeflowers.com

www.shadyhollowinn.com Cape Cod

www.acadia.net/westofeden Massachusetts

There is another one that I can't find the magazine it was in, but I am still searching.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Here it is: www.thelodgegrenada.com My honeymoon will probably be here.

Quote Artichoke47
    Congratulations on the pending nuptials . This place sounds wonderful. Total tranquility

Uhm, I'm not engaged yet. That's my plan, though, if I ever find the man of "my dreams."

Quote Artichoke47
    Uhm, I'm not engaged yet. That's my plan, though, if I ever find the man of "my dreams."
    Ohh, well I think Joaquin Phoenix is still single . Quite a few single men on VF as well..oh no-I've turned into my mother trying to set you up. I'll shut up now .

Every time I am interested in someone, they ignore me, so it's no use at this point.

Oh, and I just bought The Village so I can see Joaquin and his hotness any time I want! He's such a good actor. I'll have to buy Ladder 49, too, when it comes out.

Wait a minute...that was OT!

Quote Artichoke47
    Every time I am interested in someone, they ignore me, so it's no use at this point. I think there might be a vegan cop in my area. How hot is that?
    Ewww, he has cuffs, kinky .

PinkFluffyCloud

That is so Hot, it's Scorching, Artichoke! Mmmmm-mm!
    (Er, even having been actually arrested several times, I still find sexy young Policemen a total turn-on!).

Quote Artichoke47
    That's oneof the ones on the link I can't find...I am thinking the site is down since about four of the places on it were closed...There was a cool one in Southern WA state that I would have killed to go to(hehe), but it's closed.
    I think other than that those are all the ones i looked into. Bah humbug for sites being taken down.

~Mel
    ~Mel

I was just at that one earlier today.

oh no I meant a site that listed all of the bed and breakfasts in the US (and around the world) not saying those links are down, but the site I found them all on is. I have noticed I am having difficulty articulating what I mean lately. I feel like my tongue is attached to the roof of my mouth.
    ~Mel

Default Vegan bed and breakfast in Virginia wins national awards

By DAVID HENDRICK, The Daily Progress, January 24, 2005,

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- The first hint of things to come is the hot-pink mailbox on Route 6.

A short way down the meandering driveway, a sign warns of pigs crossing.

Up the hill, there is all manner of porcine paraphernalia and even a pack of real-life pigs milling happily about in a spacious pen.

The prominent place of the hoofed creatures is appropriate, as it was a wealth of pigs that led Dina Brigish to move to Albemarle County and open The White Pig Bed and Breakfast three years ago.

Although off the radar of many area residents, the all-vegan retreat recently received a pair of national awards from two vegetarian advocacy groups.

"I was really surprised to get the awards," Brigish said, adding that almost all of her advertising has been by word of mouth. "It was totally out of the blue."

The White Pig was recently named "Favorite Veg Bed and Breakfast" by the readers of VegNews Magazine, and received a Proggy Award from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals for promoting an animal friendly service.

VegNews publisher Joe Connelly said the bed and breakfast category is always heavily contested in the annual poll.

"It's quite an honor," Connelly said, noting that The White Pig beat out "six or eight" nationally known vegetarian bed and breakfasts to take the award.

Brigish, a Long Island, N.Y., native and former fashion designer, came to her current vocation via an unusual route. While living in Manhattan and working in the fashion industry, Brigish received Norman, a pot-bellied pig, as a gift from her mother.

"I had to rearrange my life to accommodate (the pig)," Brigish said. "There's no way you're going to have a pig in Manhattan."

The pig prompted a move to Long Island, where through a variety of circumstances, a number of other pigs came to live with Brigish and her husband, Hal.

The pigs needed more room to roam and Brigish was looking for a career change. The decision to open a vegan inn came shortly.

"It was nice to incorporate my own personal beliefs into a career," Brigish, a longtime vegan, said.

After completing a course of study at the National Gourmet Cooking School and an apprenticeship at the San Francisco restaurant Millennium, Brigish and her husband began looking for a suitable locale.

"We searched for three years, from Maine to North Carolina," Brigish said. "It was just fate that we found this place."

The innkeeper said that while most of her guests are vegans or vegetarians, some are interested in incorporating more healthful elements into their diets. Others simply come for the atmosphere.

"You don't have to be a vegan to enjoy this," Brigish said, gesturing to the 172 rural acres on which her establishment sits.

Guests of The White Pig stay in one of four rooms in the refurbished 1920s farmhouse, a white building with green trim surrounded by a similarly styled massage barn and hot tub.

Brigish and her husband live in a second, nearby dwelling that they share with a number of house pigs, including Norman, the pig that started it all.

Brigish said her niche has proved popular, with all rooms booked almost every evening during the busier months of summer and fall. The proprietor said she plans to do some hiring in the near future, and may convert a cabin on the property into additional sleeping space.

Despite the accolades and the pace of growth, Norman, for one, seems unfazed. "He just sits on the couch and watches TV," Brigish said