Thread: need help re: going to Ireland on holiday

Default need help re: going to Ireland on holiday

My husband in laws and myself are going to visit Ireland in April and having read one guide book it tells me that it is very difficult finding food for a vegan. I wonder if anyone could tell me whether I would be able to buy good stuff in the supermarkets? We are going to be based near Doolin. Things such as Alpro yoghurt, vegan sausages, veggie mince and things like that? Or if there may be any good health food shops nearby? and also any places that possibly caters for vegans too? I would very very grateful to hear

Default Re: need help re: going to Ireland on holiday

You'll be fine, it's easy being a vegan in Ireland. I live in Galway which is about 80 minutes away from Doolin. If you have a car you could drive here and visit the largest health food supermarket in the country (which is probably a good idea as Galway is well worth seeing anyway), but even if you don't, Ireland is full of Tescos and all the usual supermarket chains where you'll get the essentials. There's also loads of chinese and Indian restaurants etc. Stay away from pub food cause they never have anything, in fact Ireland is really pretty much the same as the UK when you're in bigger towns, it's just the more rural areas that are a problem. If you make to Galway I'll give you a list of amazing restaurants to try
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Phew! thnaks for letting me know Barry. That list of restaurants in Galway will be brilliant as well as where the health food shop is.
    Thank you.

The health food shop is beside the only tesco in Galway city. It's impossible to miss and everyone knows where it is, it's called evergreen and it's amazing. There are actually two of them in Galway city but go to the one beside Tesco, it's way better. Mmmm restaurants... Well there are two great Indians called Tulsi (I ate there tonight, it was lovely) and Kashmir, both are totally vegan friendly. There's a great pizza place called Milano that has no problem seving cheeseless pizzas that are amazing. Da Tang noodle house has a great veggie section that's almost all vegan - with loads of tofu dishes. La Salsa does faux mexican food and they have vegan burritos and tostados, it's pretty cheap and cheerfull! Ard Bia does some good veggie grub although it's always hard to get a seat. Couch Potato does classic Irish baked spuds with loads of different toppings that can be made vegan, the soup is always vegan as well. The best Chinese is called the Golden Rickshaw, plenty of tofu there as well! Thai Garden does passable enough Thai food although I have to say, one thing Galway doesn't have is a great Thai place.. That's all I think of off the top of my head, when I think of more I'll add them! There's a user on here called DavidT who lives in Clare, so he might be able to give you the full story on how Doolin is vegan wise.

Oh yeah, in terms of directions for these places, you don't need any! Galway city centre is TINY, everywhere I mentioned is within a five minute walk of each other.

That's brilliant Barry, thanks for the advice and recommendations. Makes my life so much easier. Now for the fussy meat eaters! humpfff..