Thread: Vegan Yum Yum cookbook

Default Vegan Yum Yum cookbook

I wondered if anyone had any opinions on this book yet? I couldn't find a dedicated thread in this section....

I'm a huge fan of the blog and since no-one bought me the book for Christmas () I decided to treat myself! Just awaiting delivery at the moment.

Does anyone else have the book yet?
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Default Re: Vegan Yum Yum cookbook

I have it and like it quite a bit. A lot of the recipes are suitable for week-night cooking, which is good. I love to cook but find it hard to find recipes I can make quick-ish.
    Things I have made:

Tahini lemon rice and beans: I got this recipe from the blog a long time ago (it's included in the book), and my fiance and I eat it about every other week.We leave out the seitan and make marinated baked tofu slices to eat wtih it, but the seitan would be fine, too. I recommend this one.

Sweet Chili Lime tofu- I have made this a couple of times and it's pretty yummy. Its served over quinoa which I needed to make quite a bit more of, but that may be personal taste.

Marmalade tofu with kale and lemon pearl couscous- We tried this recipe and it didn't turn out very well...but it could have just been us. I had never cooked pearl couscous (in fact we used israeli couscous which I think is the same thing) and it turned out very mushy. The marmalade glaze on the tofu burns very easy, but tasted okay anyway.

Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup- This is very yummy and really easy to make. Great with toast!

Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta- This is another recipe I made from the blog before the book came out. It was okay, but nothing special. I never made it again, but may try it when fresh tomatoes are in season.

There are loads more I want to try, so let me know if you make any good ones!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Well the book finally arrived yesterday (the snow having thwarted City Link on a couple of occasions) and I'm a bit surprised it seems to differ so much, stylistically, from the blog. But the recipes look good and I'm planning to make the apple strudel this weekend

Thanks for the other suggestions!
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

I love the blog, and got this book for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to try any of the recipes from the book yet. Hope it's good!

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Marmalade tofu with kale and lemon pearl couscous- We tried this recipe and it didn't turn out very well...but it could have just been us. I had never cooked pearl couscous (in fact we used israeli couscous which I think is the same thing) and it turned out very mushy. The marmalade glaze on the tofu burns very easy, but tasted okay anyway.

Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta- This is another recipe I made from the blog before the book came out. It was okay, but nothing special. I never made it again, but may try it when fresh tomatoes are in season.
    I made both of those from the blog, I don't own the book. The marmalade tofu was in '08 but I remember liking it and I served it with rice.

I LOVE the tomato basil cream pasta, I had it a lot and I made it with raw zucchini pasta as well as gf pasta.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

How many of the recipes in the book are not on the blog?

The style is different how so? In a good, bad or indifferent way. Is it a book with plenty of pictures?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    How many of the recipes in the book are not on the blog?

The style is different how so? In a good, bad or indifferent way. Is it a book with plenty of pictures?
    I'm not sure how many are not on the blog, but quite a lot I think, I only recognised a few on my first flick through.

I think I expected it to match the theme of the site quite closely, in style and colour etc. Though I think the VYY blog is just a Wordpress theme, so maybe that wasn't an option. But yes it does have plenty of full colour pics & that's always a plus

I've just gotten into the blog and was thinking about getting the book. I like all her mini desserts i want to make the mini cupcake pies. Does the book have a picture fo every recipe?

Vegan Yum Yum's 'Hurry Up Alfredo' is AMAZING!

I LOVE this cookbook, it's probably my favourite one. I really like that it is full of colour photos, it makes me so much more likely to cook things if I can see what they should end up looking like! I've made tons of things from it but favourites are alfredo sauce, mushroom and brocolli bake, italian rice and beans, pancakes, kale and sweet potato bake. Really wonderful book. Her blog has gone really quiet recently, I wonder if she's working on a new book?