Thread: Beefeater restaurants

littlemiss

Default Beefeater restaurants

My mother in law told me the other day that there are vegan meals on the menu in beefeater. She said there are two V's, green and red and one is for vegans. I'm not sure if it was actually veg and veg option. I looked online but the menu is from Feb last year, although did find a couple of things vegans can eat in the allergy listings. Anyway, has anyone else seen this or is she a bit mad? (She can be a bit dotty sometimes in a very nice way, like thinking I can't eat flour) They ate at lunch.
    I have emailed them but it may take a while to reply..

Default Re: Beefeater restaurants.

Oh man, i just don't think I could bring myself to.....
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

The allergen information is from February but the online menu's are from last month (Dec '09) and the only markings are 'V' for vegetarian and 'Vo' for vegetarian option, both in red. There's no green V's I could see.

Checking the allergen listing it doesn't appear that they do any meals suitable for vegans unless you wanted a big bowl of ketchup or something.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I think I ate at one once in the mid-90s, when I was marooned overnight at a motel and that was the only restaurant. They did a vegan dish specially for me - a plate that was half peas and half green beans. It looked a bit like something an alien might eat but I think I was quite glad of it

Thought things might have improved since then. Will be interested to hear what they say, littlemiss.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Oh man, i just don't think I could bring myself to.....
    +1 I couldn't either and after going to a Harvester , I thought that was bad enough!

Quote Sunkist View Post
    +1 I couldn't either and after going to a Harvester , I thought that was bad enough!
    I went to a Harvester around '96ish. The staff and I figured out between us that the only vegan item on the menu was the steamed corn-on-the-cob. I was offered a trip to the salad cart and then politely told not to visit the establishment again. I didn't need telling twice!

glovesforfoxes

They actually told you not to visit again? Wow.

littlemiss

Still no word back. I think my mother in law would just be ever so grateful to be able to take us out somewhere "Normal". I did try ringing a few places a few years back, beefeater, harvester.... and they all said they couldn't do anything as it all came prepackaged. Sounds appetising. There was a mushroom tartlet as a starter that appears vegan, with the rice would be ok if you were dragged in there against your will.....

Go to a Wetherspoons.

Or a Pizza Express? My m-in-l quite likes those now, despite her mistrust of all things foreign

Quote harpy View Post
    Or a Pizza Express? My m-in-l quite likes those now, despite her mistrust of all things foreign
    One thing that does irritate me about Pizza Express is their insistence on asking 'do you have an allergy' every time I order a pizza without cheese.

When I asked why they said ' Oh well if you have an allergy we take extra care'.... that's OK then, if my decision not to consume cow pus is only because of passionately held personal convictions it doesn''t matter a jot .
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I've never had that in Pizza Express, Jiffy - perhaps it's a speciality of your branch? Personally if I get asked if I'm allergic I generally say yes on the grounds that it's none of their business (and also that I am or was lactose intolerant) but I realise that's against some people's principles.

Today BTW I had an interesting experience with a waiter who seemed unclear whether vegans eat no dairy products or as many as possible

Quote harpy View Post
    Today BTW I had an interesting experience with a waiter who seemed unclear whether vegans eat no dairy products or as many as possible

littlemiss

Default Re: Beefeater restaurants

Finally got a reply. My mother in law was going loopy. Here is the email.

Thank you for your e-mail.

We do not offer specific dishes for vegans but we have a few menu items that can be made vegan by the removal of something.

The butter is just drizzled on at the end so the mushroom tart can be served as a main meal without this.

The cheese is just a topping on the pasta so again it can be served without this on request.

There is a new menu launching on the 1st March and unfortunately the mushroom tart is coming off because it was not selling well.

Regards

Josie Brandon
    Guest Relations Advisor

Thats that then.

Thanks for reporting back, littlemiss. Sounds as if you can have pasta or pasta, then! Is there anything else on it apart from the cheese?

I'm pretty sure the same company owns the Toby carveries, and I had a terrible experience there as a vegan. I was expecting a plate of vegetables which was fine by me, but the chef told me they're all glazed in butter. I ended up eating the melon starter for my meal. Then I e-mailed them to suggest they offer a vegan option and she basically said they couldn't be bothered.

Rocket Queen

Really?
    How horrible.
    I went to a Toby Carvery once and was assured the veggies were ok, and that they could make the gravy vegan for me too.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Often these sorts of things (e.g. whether they can do vegetables without butter) depend on the staff in the individual branch, I think. I don't have any experience with Toby Carveries though.

I spent approximately 20 seconds in the last cavery I went to. Was going to join people and have a drink whilst they ate, but really couldn't bring myself to stay having smelt the stench. Like a school canteen only 10x worse.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

helen105281

BB and I got dragged to a Toby carvery once and just had veggies, we were ill for days after, must have been the butter which we didn't know about at the time.

Ruziko

'Beefeater' is clue enough for any vegan to stay well clear

My gran was going on about a carvery she went to and was saying even I could go because the vegetables were lovely...like hell would I want to go to a place where they have 4-5 different animal carcasses cooking on display purely for hedonistic mastication!