Thread: In praise of jam

Default In praise of jam

Warning: Deeply Banal Chatter Ahead. As if that's ever stopped me before!

After years of eating just peanut butter or Aussie Mite/Marmite* on my toast, I have recently rekindled my love of fruit-based spreads. Namely, St Dalfour raspberry jam (even though I feel guilty about it's lack of eco-friendliness) and Buderim ginger lemon & lime marmalade (I wanna take it behind the middle school, etc).

What brands/varieties do you love? What preserves are an affront to your belief system? Margarine/base spread with it or none? I just thought it was a topic that is rarely discussed. Maybe there's a reason for that - there's probably a good reason for that - but we'll see!

*The Aussie version by Sanitarium (http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/spreads/)
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Default Re: In Praise Of Jam

Jam is good until someone uses the knife they used for the marge to get it out of the jar, you only need a tiny amount of contaminant to grow a hairy jam monster.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I loveeeee raspberry jam sandwiches. Margarine is a must, and nice soft bread. No particular brands but I don't like it when the consistency is too jelly-ish, it has to be a bit runnier. And with raspberry seeds for a bit of crunch.

Mm... I have to go make a jam sandwich now.

Also, jam and banana sandwiches are great!

Recently, I've become a big fan of ginger jam sandwiches...

This is so much nicer than the ginger and marrow jam that my parents made why I was a kid...

(For the non-Brits, a marrow is essentially an overgrown courgette/zucchini...)

I have recently been eating organic strawberry jam (supermarket own brand) with Pure cream cheese on cream crackers. Very pleasant. I love me some cherry or raspberry too. Cherry jam and chunks of chocolate cooked on a pizza base is good, I call it "black forest" pizza

For marmalades I like Tiptree 'Double one' (tangerine and clementine, I think?) or M&S Shredless, although my mum's homemade stuff is pretty good too.

If I'm in a B&B and they have those tiny packs of jam I'll normally go for blackcurrant, as they tend to taste less insipid than the cheap strawberry which is probably mostly pectin and sugar.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote robb View Post
    (For the non-Brits, a marrow is essentially an overgrown courgette/zucchini...)
    For a second there, I thought you meant marrow as in bone marrow. Eeep!

buttons, how do you mean about the lack of eco-friendliness? I don't mean to be nosy, it's just that I love St. Dalfour's too. I have a really hard time finding jam without added sugar.

Default Re: In praise of jam

Any kind of jam or marmalade is good with me. I especially like black current jam and old fashioned course cut marmalade.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Quote refinnej View Post
    buttons, how do you mean about the lack of eco-friendliness? I don't mean to be nosy, it's just that I love St. Dalfour's too. I have a really hard time finding jam without added sugar.
    Shipping jam from France to Australia takes a lot of fuel, hence the eco-guilt at my end. I generally try to buy Australian stuff for that reason, on top of patriotic concern for Australian jobs, etc.

http://www.stdalfour.com.au/

Quote twinkle View Post
    I have recently been eating organic strawberry jam (supermarket own brand) with Pure cream cheese on cream crackers. Very pleasant. I love me some cherry or raspberry too. Cherry jam and chunks of chocolate cooked on a pizza base is good, I call it "black forest" pizza
    Why was I not informed of this *before* I put my pizza in the oven?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

BlackCats

Quote robb View Post
    This is so much nicer than the ginger and marrow jam that my parents made why I was a kid...

Quote buttons View Post
    For a second there, I thought you meant marrow as in bone marrow. Eeep!
    That is worse.

I love jam and marmalade. I usually get it from Co-op or Hartley's jam. One thing I miss is lemon curd as all the jars I've seen have been non-vegan.

Quote buttons View Post
    Shipping jam from France to Australia takes a lot of fuel, hence the eco-guilt at my end. I generally try to buy Australian stuff for that reason, on top of patriotic concern for Australian jobs, etc.

http://www.stdalfour.com.au/
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying. Not so worried about the miles from France to England. I should learn to make my own, I suppose, but until then, St. Dalfour fits the bill.

pfffttttt to your jam!

Speculoos spread is where it's at.

(Also, BC, I saw a good vegan lemon curd recipe somewhere recently - I'll see if I can retrace my steps to find it for you...)

ETA: It was on Bryanna Clark-Grogan's blog, just at the end of her post before the comments - here: http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.co...ing-vegan.html