Thread: Vegan doctors

Default Vegan doctors

Are any of you guys lucky enough to have a veg doctor, nutritionist, or pediatrician in your area? I wish I did, it would be so great to not have to worry about getting lectured, turned into child welfare, etc.

Quote casey_veggoddes
    Are any of you guys lucky enough to have a veg doctor, nutritionist, or pediatrician in your area? I wish I did, it would be so great to not have to worry about getting lectured, turned into child welfare, etc.
    I agree, casey, it would be great, but i don't, unfortunately.
    Knowing the truth is freedom, all else is a prison {?}

One of my dads partners at his family practice is vegetarian (he actually ran for student government in college on a vegan platform). and the hospital that owns thier practice has literature on the benifits of a vegetarian diet (pamplets, etc). it would be awesome if it discussed veganism, but i still think its nice to see modern medicine finally coming around and promoting a vegetarianism as a healthy diet.

Theres a Doctor finder on www.holisticmedicine.org which I found on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) website. Hope that kinda helps.

One of the vets at the practice we take our cats to is. Actually if I were ill I think I would rather see her than my own doc but I'm not sure how she'd feel about it! (I seem to remember reading that UK vets are actually allowed to practise on humans, but doctors aren't on animals - not sure if it's true though.)

Quote gertvegan
    Theres a Doctor finder on www.holisticmedicine.org which I found on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) website. Hope that kinda helps.
    One of by mentors used to be president of that organization. I'm a vegan doc currently in a clinical pathology residency program, so I'm not really involved in much patient care. I have found that the new generation of docs are a little more veggie friendly though.

You may want to find a doc through the Seventh Day Adventist Church. They promote vegetarianism and would probably be understanding of vegans.

ConsciousCuisine

I do not have "veg" Doctor. However I ave a FABULOUS Doctor who is a strong suporter of Natural Health and Healing. When I went to see him for the first time (based on a referreal from a friend who also is a Holistic Practitioner) I told him that I did not want to use drugs and would like to seek supervision for any health issue that arose using Herbal Remedies and Supplements wherever possible.

He has been very informative and supportive and has been the most balanced and open-minded Doctor I have ever seen. Whenever I have a question or concern, I see him, let him know what my plan of action is and then ask him what he would suggest to augment or add to my plan.

He's always been knowledgeable, helpful and accurate. He assisted me through a trial with a serious illness (the big "C") and supported me as I used Juice fasting and A Raw Foods Vegan Diet to allow my body to heal itself. (And heal it did!) He is an advocate of a Vegan llifestyle and Raw Foods as well. I am blessed to have him I consult with him to help my clients in many ways.

He is so poular that he has stopped seeing any new clients. I knew he was the real thing when I ran into him at the "Natural Foods and Products Expo" earlier this year!

Smile

When i was at uni doing my first degree i had loads of medic friends training at kings college medical school in London. Lots of them were veggie and there was even a fellow vegan in his final year. They were all very open minded and would never judge or try to persuade their future patients away from the veggie/vegan path.

Even the non-veggie medics were willing to listen when i explained my reasons for not wanting to eat meat etc and they promised that they would always be open minded in the future and keep up to date with their knowledge of veggie/veganism.

As for vegan vets, give me a call in 5 years time when ive completed my veterinary degree and i will be more than welcome to look after all your animals!!

For the UK members, there is a Health Care Professionals List on the vegan society website, HERE.

Default Vegan friendly doctor

I had a medical check-up today. My doctor is a young woman, probably in her early thirties. Anyway, she asked if I eat healthy and I told her I'm a vegan. Her reaction was very positive, it really made my day, and she was not reluctant giving me a B-12 test either . Good vegan friendly doctor.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

tails4wagging

Your very lucky, I wish my doctor was, although she doesn't make any negative comments when I mention I am vegan, I guess she can see I am healthy!!

My doctor doesn't know yet! I went to him a few weeks before becoming vegan.

I might go get a full check up sometime in the spring or summer. I want to get my blood tested and I want proof that I'm getting all my vitamins and that I'm healthy!

...as opposed to be deprived of nutrients and eventually going to end up very sick and unhealthy (which my mom sometimes tell me will happen...GAH!)

My whole family had check-ups this week - I took my dog to the vet a few days ago. The vet said my "whippie" is very healthy, but I did not tell her he's a vegan, though...I was too afraid of critical comments and I was not in a mood to defend myself that day. I had a feeling she would not be as accepting as my own doctor...You can just sense it. She had IAM dog food displayed all over the clinic, too! But she was nice and thorough. It's just that I would like to find a vet who's familiar with vegan pets so I can have all my questions regarding nutrition answered. Do you have a vegan friendly vet? How can I find one?

I went to see my doctor, a few weeks ago and he demanded I tell him my reasons for going vegan. He barged in the door with a medical student on his side and the first thing he said is "why are you vegan??". He didnt ask mw what my diet was like, or if i take supplements, or if I'm exercising, he just wanted to know "why". It was weird, but after I explained he had nothing else to say about it.
    "Can't Fly, Can't Fight, Can't Crow"
    -Rufeo

Weird behaviour.

My doctor is okay - he doesn't give an opinion on the matter.

Mine smiles at me as if to say he'd rather me not be vego, but he doesn't say a thing of it otherwise.

My doctor is vegetarian............but eats fish.

my doc knows that I'm vegan, and I recently went to him for the pathology results of an annual check up. The doc showed me the results, and said, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it"!
    Eve

Default Reputable, fairly well known, pro vegan doctors?

Does anyone know of an article or book written by or quoting a reputable doctor who states that a vegetarian or vegan diet is in fact more healthy than that of a diet including meat (online or to be purchased in a bookstore)?

I have found some quotes in brochures and online stating this, but I want it to come from a well known person (it is for my paper in psychology)

I only need a small quote from a good name stating this.

Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 26th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

Default Re: Reputable fairly well known doctor

Can't do better than doctor and author Vernon Coleman: http://www.vernoncoleman.com
    Eve

Would a professor of nutrition do? If so, you could look up "Tom Sanders vegan" on Google. He is an establishment figure, a professor at London University, and not I think a vegan himself, who has done various studies in this area and is generally supportive of vegetarianism and veganism.

Geoff

Dr Joel Fuhrman's 'Eat To Live' book recommends a vegan diet.

The Dr Mcdougall diet is either vegan or nearly vegan based on where you look.

I think it's great, like the anti-Atkins, put out there for the masses to follow in name of health and beauty, but a by-product being less death.

Wow, thanks for all of the replies, I'm going to check them all out now! I'm sure I'll find a quote! Dr. Vernon Coleman sounds familiar--though I'm not sure why!?

My paper is coming along...I just ordered a book called, "Slaughterhouse Blues", not sure if any of you have heard of it, but it is not an animal rights style book, more of a description of what the actual workers go through at the abattoir (which I hope will be helpful as my focus is conformity in the slaughterhouse).

Thanks again

I would check out the Physicians for Responcible medicine. Sorry for my spelling - way past my bed time! Can see the typo's and am too tired to do anything about them!
    Still all a buz from this evening's lecture with Paul Watson!

What Poriakitty was trying to say was the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) , Neal D. Barnard, M.D. is the founder. Check out what he has to say, I think this is what you're looking for

Didn't Benjamin Spock become a vegan?

Quote Steph
    What Poriakitty was trying to say was the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) , Neal D. Barnard, M.D. is the founder. Check out what he has to say, I think this is what you're looking for
    http://www.pcrm.org/

PCRM recommends a vegan diet, and is supported by 3000 physicians, many of them fairly well known.

PCRM's advisory board includes:

T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. Cornell University
    Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D. The Cleveland Clinic
    Suzanne Havala, Ph.D., M.S., R.D., L.D.N., F.A.D.A. The Vegetarian Resource Group
    Henry J. Heimlich, M.D., Sc.D. The Heimlich Institute
    Lawrence Kushi, Sc.D. Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente
    Virginia Messina, M.P.H., R.D. Nutrition Matters, Inc.
    John McDougall, M.D. McDougall Program, St. Helena Hospital
    Milton Mills, M.D. Gilead Medical Group
    Myriam Parham, R.D., L.D., C.D.E. East Pasco Medical Center
    William Roberts, M.D. Baylor Cardiovascular Institute
    Andrew Weil, M.D. University of Arizona
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Wow, what a great site (PCRM). You see, I'm still new at all of this (being vegan AND surfing the internet) so I am definitly learning more ever day!

It's funny, but as a vegetarian, I was not inclined to do any heavy research on farm animal welfare or veggie nutrition, etc. I just thought it was gross to eat a dead animal. Things have certainly changed and might I add for the better!

Thanks for the patience and help you have all presented to me! Greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Vegan friendly doctors

My doctor actually encouraged my change to a vegan diet.
    How often do you get that?
    I think she is near-vegan.
    She has a poster of the PCRM (Phys. Comm. for Responsible Medicine) food groups framed on her wall in the exam room.
    And I've been going to her since before I even thought of going vegan. What luck!

Her secretary is a total dragon-lady , but she's pretty great.

Default Online articles of doctors who recommend a vegan diet?

Hello guys,

I'm looking for some links to articles written by doctors or pediatricians who recommend going Vegan (or even Vegetarian) stating that it is a healthy option.

Anyone got any bookmarked in their favourites or something? If so, can you paste them here. I've tried searching the forum but am not having much luck.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 26th, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Online articles of doctors who recommend a vegan diet?

I have a Dr. friends who is vegan. Her partner is a nurse, and he's written articles on the benefits of veganism. I think. I know he's done talks on it.

I'll check. It may take a week to get back here, but I'll check.

Otherwise, "Physicians for Responsible Medicine" puts out articles all the time, and they are vegan.
    context is everything

There are loads of doctors who recommend a vegan diet, and we may even have a thread listing some of them already.

Some random links I found after a very quick Google search on doctor and vegan:

http://www.nutrispeak.com/becomingveganrev.htm
    http://veganfusion.wordpress.com/200...gan-lifestyle/
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24414
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23580
    http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/docto...ies-19099.html
    http://www.shabooty.com/2009/11/05/m...he-doctors.php
    http://www.vegsource.com/klaper/
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/38192.php
    http://www.vegetarianvitaminsguide.c...rianvegan-diet
    http://rawdoctors.com/index.php/comp...archphrase=all
    http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm
    http://www.medpedia.com/questions/38...raw-vegan-diet

Among other well-known pro-vegan doctors I can think of from the top of my head is Joel Fuhrman, Dean Ornish and John McDowell... Dr. Gabriel Cousens is also pro-vegan AFAIK, I think Gina Shaw is a doctor as well, and there are many, many others. If the numbers I've heard are correct, Physicians for Responsible Medicine has 3000 members.

I talked with two long life vegetarians at a party earlier this week, one of them a doctor and the other a medicine student, and they both have a lot of respect for the vegan diet, and one of them clearly felt that the vegan diet was a better choice than the lacto-vegetarian diet they were living on. (It's the only time I've been invited to by a doctor, and the food was almost exclusively vegan (the little food that wasn't vegan was lacto-vegetarian). There was a third doctor who was a (lacto?)-vegetarian there as well, but I didn't talk about veganism with him.

And of course... the guy behind the China Study, professor T. Colin Campbell, born in 1931 is a PhD and a vegan:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7765978236346#
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 7th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Then there's of course the doctors in India, which we don't hear about that often in Europe and US. 30-40% of all Indians are vegetarians, and the number could be even higher for doctors, since they often come from Brahmin families. Based on this number, that means that there could be produced 3-400 new vegetarian doctors in India every year!

Still:
    Top U.S. Cardiologist Spreads Vegan Message in India
    US doctors in India to promote vegetarianism

Doctor Vernon Coleman used to be quite well known in the Uk, having a weekly national tabloid newspaper column. He has many articles on his site that promote veganism.

Wow, everyone here has such a wealth of knowledge!

Mahk

Neal Barnard, head of PCRM.org

my only caveat is that I found them to be guilty of self citation once.

The vegan guy who wrote Plant Based Health and Nutrition, Stephen Walsh is also a doctor of some sort (he apparently has a PhD in Process Systems Engineering) if that counts.

I forgot to mention Reed Mangels (Ph.D., R.D.), and there's also Dr. Justine Butler... look here:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25096

Default How to find a vegan doctor?

Well Ive been to the doctor recently for somewhat minor things like mild/moderate sinus infections (i got this in the start of 09 if anyone is wondering and i didnt go vegan til the start of this year). It's got me thinking that maybe I should be looking for a vegan doctor or at least a veggie one. My doc always seems to want to prescribe antibiotics left and right. I've taken some of them and they havent worked yet, but im starting to think this might not be a good idea anyways.

I'd like to have a doctor i can relate better to anyways as i have a problem in this area with my current doctor. Its an ALL korean doctors office (idk why i chose this, prob cuz it was 5 min from my house or something). Hes not very understanding and always wants to run a million tests for things that seem so minor. He never mentions diet or exercise really when it comes to keeping weight down or lowering blood pressure. Hes all about the meds....i dont like this.

Anyways i tried google and all that stuff and i cant find any kind of data base with vegan doctors or veggie ones in Calfornia. Specifically im in Santa Clara. I live somewhat close to santa cruz, san francisco, etc and would be willing to make those 45 min drives for the right doctor. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 26th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: How to find a vegan doctor?

Hi,
    I just merged some threads about vegan doctors. Maybe you could contact one of them and ask if they know about doctors in your area, or just send an email to PCRM? They have lots of members who are physicians and should know someone who could help you.

Hmm I sent them an email as soon as u posted that. No word back yet. I read on their website they may not respond to all emails of the information is already on their website. I checked their website and see no doctor find function. I guess i will give them a phone call tomorrow, and hopefully they can help me without having to sign up or something.

I am a vegan Herbalist if that's any help!

I don't have a practise but am happy to help friends and anyone that needs me if I can help them with whatever it is they need.

I have helped lots of non-vegans but to be honest i'd rather my patient was a vegan as diet is such a huge contributer to illness and it's not easy to help someone who insists on stuffing their body with dairy and meat products
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk