Thread: A no fail cake or brownie recipe!!!

Default A no fail cake or brownie recipe!!!

I love baking, but since becoming vegan, nearly everything I make just completely fails!

I made brownies and a cake, and they both refused to cook in the middle!

Help!
    "Shall we get a pig for the shop? Do we need one?!"

Default Re: A no fail cake or brownie recipe!!!

I've used this recipe a couple of times with success....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...es_83803.shtml

This site is also very useful in general for vegan baking...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/vegetarian...anbaking.shtml

And of course, 'Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World' is a book full of fabulous vegan cake recipes - some of them very simple & work every time for me
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Try these recipes posted by another member...

Try using the search function; go to "advanced search" then type in "chocolate cake" and click "Titles only". This should give you lots more results to choose from

You may also want to check your oven temperature using a stand-alone oven thermometer if you can, just to check it's not too low.

Good luck!!

Or if you want to try something different/you and your oven still aren't getting along, you could try your hand at raw cakes...

I've made raw carrot and chocolate cakes on various occasions, and they've always won rave reviews from omnis

They're also extremely easy to make, all you need is a food processor...

Cherry (the well-known forum member ) has some recipes here that I've heard good things about:

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/list.php?category=cakes

(Someone here was asking for a brownie recipe the other day but I forgot about that site for some reason )

i love the chocolate cake recipe in the little "our favourite recipes" book by Solihull Animal Aid, especially with the fudgey chocolate topping.

it's a good texture cake and has never gone wrong for me. only i find with vegan sponge cakes they can taste a bit bitter when i make them, not sure if it's the sunflower oil or cocoa or what but i throw in mixed spcies or increase the vanilla essence (yeah i use essence!!!!! lol) to give it a better taste. it's probably just my cakes that taste bitter though?

you can buy the recipe book for about £3 from Viva. it's really practical with simple, decent ideas.

http://www.viva.org.uk/vivashop/prod...ry=19&parent=5

This is an excellent recipe: http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...happens-to-be/

The sponge is spot on! One thing though- mix the liquid ingredients separate before adding them to the dry ingredients. When mixed through, put straight in the oven.

Use a springform cake pan for best results

i made some brownies today adapted from a recipe i found on this forum posted by bic. but i can't find the thread it was in now aaargh so annoying! anyway it was my first ever foray into baking and it worked out fine so it must be idiot proof! here it is:

2 cups unbleached flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup vegan cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup chocolate soymilk
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, more or less! (optional)

1.) preheat the oven to 350 and pop in your pecans (or other nuts) before you chop em. they'll get roasty and smell good, and be better for the brownies

2.) mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt in one bowl

3.) add milk, oil, vanilla extract

4.) chop up nuts (food processor) and stir them in as well. mix it all up well! you'll get a consistency that's suspiciously like frosting. but that's good!

5.) grease and flour (or cocoa) a 9x13 inch pan. pour your mix in there

6.) bake for 25-30 minutes. they're done when the top is kind of firm

7.) you should really let em cool for 10-20 minutes before cutting into them because they're SO gooey. but if you like em like that, dig in right away!

only i didn't use any pecans or salt or brown sugar. plus i mashed up a load of strawberries in a blender and added that to the mix before sticking it in the oven, and put some raisins in there too.

thanks bic for the recipe

Cake

• 2 2/3 cups of flour
    • 3 tsp baking soda
    • ¾ tsp salt
    • ¾ cup of marg
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 3 eggs worth of replacer
    • ½ tsp vanilla
    • ¼ tsp lemon (or whatever flavour you want)

Never fails me.

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    i made some brownies today adapted from a recipe i found on this forum posted by bic. but i can't find the thread it was in now aaargh so annoying! anyway it was my first ever foray into baking and it worked out fine so it must be idiot proof! here it is:

2 cups unbleached flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup vegan cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup chocolate soymilk
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

1.) preheat the oven to 350 and pop in your pecans (or other nuts) before you chop em. they'll get roasty and smell good, and be better for the brownies

4.) chop up nuts (food processor) and stir them in as well. mix it all up well! you'll get a consistency that's suspiciously like frosting. but that's good!

7.) you should really let em cool for 10-20 minutes before cutting into them because they're SO gooey. but if you like em like that, dig in right away!

only i didn't use any pecans or salt or brown sugar. plus i mashed up a load of strawberries in a blender and added that to the mix before sticking it in the oven, and put some raisins in there too.

I have to agree, I should have looked on here but spent ages searching for a recipe and this one works soooo well. Its very rich and I dislike th amount of oil used but it works well.

Im just desperate to work out how to make a lemon meringue pie now!!

Quote twinkle toes View Post

2 cups unbleached flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup vegan cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup chocolate soymilk
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

I made this and failed.
    It blew up.

Then I made it again with half the baking powder and it was fine. Made it once more after that and my mom and dad loved them. I liked them alright too, I added walnuts instead of pecans and added some flax seeds. I was also out of chocolate soy milk so I added for cocoa the second time. (2/3 or 3/4.)
    Made them again after that with pecans and they were fine. Good recipe.
    And yes I know this is old old old but I wanted to reply anyway.

Oh and I also cooked it longer.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

I'm a little late on this one and it isn't a straight-up cake recipe (it can be used as one though).

http://www.veganhousewives.com/the-c...gan-cake-pops/

We made these months ago and I can't get them out of my head. I hope this helps.

Ahh cake pops! i think I might try that one this weekend for a christmas party! I haven't actually ever had a cake pop before though I've heard incredible things about them Thanks jxhn for sharing!

The brownie recipe is verry similar to the one I use.. though I haven't even thought of adding nuts etc to it.. yum!

a great cake recipe I use is the one out of Another Dinner is Possible

I like mug brownies - quick and far more delicious than something so simple should be!

Here's the brownie recipe I use

I see no reason why you couldn't scale up this recipe to make a whole pan of brownies.

(P.S. the raspberry jam variation is particularly good.)
    http://go-go-vegan.blogspot.com

Quote springtulip View Post
    I like mug brownies - quick and far more delicious than something so simple should be!

Here's the brownie recipe I use

(P.S. the raspberry jam variation is particularly good.)
    Tried this last night and can vouch for it. Can vouch for it a lot . The only thing I don't enjoy is cleaning the mug afterwards.

a great cake recipe I use is the one out of Another Dinner is Possible
    Yep, that's the one I always use. The only time it hasn't turned out well was when I used oat milk instead of soy - I think it's too watery to bind well, and possibly you need the protein in the soy milk? Otherwise, all of the cakes in that book that I've tried have turned out to be pretty much foolproof. For a special occasion, I really recommend the chilli and raspberry chocolate cake, which is so gooey, it's almost like a sort of torte. I made it for my non-vegan housemates recently and they duly gobbled it up (and one of them has gone vegan for Lent!).
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

This recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...onge-cake.html

came out brilliantly. Rose better than any other sponge cake I've tried, and had a really good texture. Haven't done the icing part of the recipe though so can't vouch for that.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.