Thread: Mrs Crimbles Dutch Apple cake

Default Mrs Crimbles Dutch Apple cake

Has anyone tried this? I bought it from Morrison's for 1.99. It's quite heavy and is very tasty! However there isn't much apple in it and it dries out quite quickly once opened, but it is nice as a ready made treat and would be lovely at Christmas. It's in the "Free From" section, and clearly arked as Vegan.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Default Re: Mrs Crimbles Dutch Apple cake

Yes, it's been around for about 6 years. It's OK, but I never think to buy it as you can make far nicer yourself.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

helen105281

I like it, especially the bits on the top. Is good for work if I need cake when people bring non vegan cake in. We don't always have time to make cake ourselves.

And it's especially yummy warmed up in the microwave with a big ol' dollop of vanilla Swedish Glace!

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    And it's especially yummy warmed up in the microwave with a big ol' dollop of vanilla Swedish Glace!
    That sounds so yummy

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Yes, it's been around for about 6 years. It's OK, but I never think to buy it as you can make far nicer yourself.
    Ah, well I am new to the vegan party... so if I wanted cake before I would never have found this!

Homemade sounds good - now where can I get a recipe?
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

I've had this, ironically it was for an English food dinner standing in for sponge pudding with custard. (We were doing English food because my partner's Greek friend had invited us over for Greek food and we thought we'd return the cultural favour - they're maybe some of the biggest sceptics I know even about vegetarianism, yet they liked what I dished up, so worth cheating a bit on the nationality of dessert and starter.)
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

I get this if I feel too lazy to make my own, but require cake

I find the apple one nicer than the ginger one. I love the bits on the top and how the sides go all gooey and stuff *drools* Its nice warm with some soy custard on .. or with some marge and a cup of tea

not sure if its still the case but some of crimbles cakes were labeled as vegan whern they had honey in them

jj

Quote jj View Post
    not sure if its still the case but some of crimbles cakes were labeled as vegan whern they had honey in them

jj
    Yes, I bought one or two vegan things of theirs and then spotted honey on their (damn, which was it?) ginger cake, was it? It's a shame when they use honey when, for the sake of a simple substitute of a single ingredient, they could widen their market.

Biona are the same. Some fabulous products but some are let down by the honey; I have e-mailed Biona twice, specifically over two of them - their Wild Berry Crisp and their beetroot - and they replied to one e-mail that they would include my comments in their next product review. That was at least a year ago, though I know these things take time.

Anyway, it's much more fun to make your own cakes!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Ruziko

Have some in the cupboard. It's nice but would go better with custard.

I bought this for my office the other day while i was in town (and had a craving for cake). it went down a treat... AND, it was almost something that met all the dietary requirements of our small office (no wheat, no lactose, no eggs, vegan, no chocolate). Until someone told me that actually, they were intolerant to apples. DOH!

However, it was declared delicious by my dutch colleague, who ate four pieces. so i'm all for this one. and i suspect it would be totally LUSH with custard!

amanda

I found it to be quite tasty but rather dry. Not something I'd go out of my way to buy again.

Drier than Ghandi's flip-flop IMHO, a bit more tolerable with custard though/
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

My boss bought me this for my birthday a long with Mrs Crimbles ginger cake which I personally prefer. They are slightly dry but if you warm them up (with a splash of water for moisture) and add alpro soya custard its all good.

Try slicing it toasting it and buttering with Pure organic spread, delicious.

Stuart

Yeah, right now: It's tasty, but not very moist.

I find you've got to be careful with cakes, dairy-free doesn't equal egg-free a lot of the time.

Quote Stuart View Post
    I find you've got to be careful with cakes, dairy-free doesn't equal egg-free a lot of the time.
    This is so true: I saw a market stall yesterday with some great looking cakes and the words 'organic' and 'dairy-free' all caught my eye: I thought my luck was in. But no, all contained eggs...
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln