Thread: Philly vs. Chicago for vegan eats?

Default Philly vs. Chicago for vegan eats?

Deciding whether to go to Philly or Chicago for Spring Break [which will revolve around eating!] and was wondering which city you all thought was better for vegan food!

hi! i haven't been vegan for that long, but i know that there are about 4 whole food stores in and around philly. one of them is on south street which is pretty much the touristy hang out. if you google vegan and philly it will bring up sites that have lists of all the restaurants. chinatown has a lot of vegan dishes.

i haven't been to chicago since i've been vegan but i would find it hard to resist the deep dish pizza at Pequads! that was, by far, the best pizza i have ever had!

If you wnat to have a vegan foodfest spring break celebration, it should be between NYC and LA. I've never been to LA but can vouch for NYC, vegan selections galore even a vegan fast food restaurant in Brooklyn that is phenomenal and vegan desserts that have my sourpus omnivore coworkers salivating over. A good friend of mine lives in Chicago, she's vegan and is always complaining about the lack of vegan choices there. If you do decide on Philly, please avoid Gianna's Grille. They lied about their cheese being vegan and was using soy cheese made with casein. Also, they used to buy their desserts from www.vegantreats.com but all they did was learn how to copy her desserts.

Come to Boston!!!! everyone has to check out the website for this raw vegan restaurant right outside Boston it sound SOOOOOOOOO AMAAAZING I cant wait to go

http://www.organicgardencafe.com/

the menu looks soooooooooo yummythere is also another vegan restaurant called the Grasshopper right in Boston..its won a whole ton of awards and the menu is HUGE...i mean there is so much its almost overwhelmng..I always gorge myseff when I go because its not that often..they give you so much food! I always start off with an app sampler then some sort of awsome soup...then orange chkn...i know its probably not the healthiest but its a rare treat...then a salad and brown rice...an avacado soy shake...and tofu chz cake...omg so good

also, there are a few other restaurants...veggie planet and two vegan restauarnats called buddahs delight....

plus...IM in Boston!

Chicago all the way!!!!! We have 4 100% vegan restraunts and alot of veg/vegan also. A very good place for vegans!!!!!!!!!!!! And plus i live there.

Suzulan

I go to Chinatown in center city of Philadelphia and there are two excellent pure vegan restaurants owned by same owner.
    One is called Vegetarian Kingdom and other called Harmony.
    Owner of this restaurant went to China to learn pure vegan cooking and he cook mouth watering dishes for vegans.
    taste of these vegan dishes are truly heavenly taste!!!
    Crunchy bright colored vegetable are so delicious and he has so many different kinds of pure vegan dishes for us to try.
    You don't know what you are missing until you try these two restaurants.
    We go Vegetarian Kingdom every Sunday to enjoy heavenly tasting pure vegan dishes.
    Last edited by Suzulan; Jan 23rd, 2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: misspelled word

I"ve eaten at Harmony, very good. Also used to like Singapore but they started serving dead animal, at least at their NJ restaurant so I won't be going there again.

Suzulan

Feline01. Yes, Ming(owner of Vegetarian Kingdom and Hermoney) is highly skilled vegan cook.
    His business is booming because of heavenly tasting his dishes he prepare for his customers.
    Do you know he bought out old Hermoney and he owns old Hermoney and Vegetarian Kingdom now?
    I just love his heavenly tasting pure vegan food he is serving to people!!
    I wish I can eat his food three times a day, 365 days.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since Feline mentioned it, I don't see how any city in the US can beat New York for vegan eats. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I've never been to California so maybe they can represent too.

Default Chicago Reprazent

Chicago has a huge vegan population. We have the biggest vegan meetup in the world and have several supreme choices for vegan food.
    Yeah, you know it.

i live in chicago, and there are sooo many different options. also there are many good ethnic places. u should come here

i grew up near Chicago, and they have tons of vegan foods. Not to mention, a huge Indian side and Chinatown.

Plus, the best vegan icecream from the Chicago Soy Dairy - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - mmmm....

Illinois is the freaken soybean state - soy galore!

Also, the Blind Faith Cafe in Evanston (first town north of chicago) is ranked top veggie resturaunt in the US for a few years running. They have many vegan options and are attached to a vegan bakery.

Chicago Diner is up there in the top too. Lots of HFS and ethnic groceries and markets. Whole Foods, People's Market and Wild Oats Galore!

a few hours north of Chicago - in Milwaukee, WI - is the home of the world famous veganessentials (and me, i live here now )