Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loving Hut in Camden

puca

Default Loving Hut in Camden

Anybody else been?

The burgers are lush and you can choose how much you wish to pay for the food.

Default Re: Loving Hut in Camden

I posted a review on happycow and mentioned (linked) in the Vegan London thread.

Hot DAMN the burger is good.

puca

I know!

it's probably the best burger I've ever had

Dont think the website is working yet as can only get photos on there not opening times or menus?

ah,i see what you mean.

could be because they haven't a full menu yet? (just a few hot buffet dishes and burger on request.)

helen105281

Opening times are Mon-sat 12-9, closed Sundays though was open today. We loved it and BB said the same thing about the burger. I recommend the carrot cake too.

I used the link on this thread - will be because they are new and not had time to sort the website.

I will have to visit but I know Il not be sure how much to pay -Id go for a burger and drink or a plate of buffet food, but will compare prices/what to pay with other places Ive eaten at in London.

Am hungry now all this talk of food!

i might have to extend my stay in london or eat two lunches!

can someone please tell me what kind of things they do as im not local!

Well I went Fri for lunch and loved the hut so returned today for take out food.

It's so nice there the atmosphere and food.

They have a buffet selection like Peking Palace at lunch and then you can order wraps and burgers - best ever burger, really tasty and just right if you know what I mean!

There are lots of soft drinks, you can ask for soya shakes and there are cakes - choc orange and carrot cake and 2 types of cheesecake.

They are not advertising as such just want us to spread the word and write reviews, not just Happy cow type ones but on the non veg sites like London eating out guides so it encourages non veggies/vegans to go and see how good the food is.

I shall make this a place to visit on future London trips.

They are also happy to cater for buffets/events/deliver to work places and I reckon they might supply cakes too.

Do visit it's such nice food and a lot of the money is going to help relief causes aroud the world like Hati.

Did they chase you down the street with a cleaver when you said you'd pay 5p for the meal?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Would they have a cleaver in a vegan restaurant?

Buddha Belly

For chasing people with.
    More threatening than a plastic lettuce knife

A ladle can also be scary.

Heheh! Now I'm getting mental images of you all being chased by cartoonish angry chefs with your varying improvised weapons.

ETA: don't forget rolling pins!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

BlackCats

I ate at Loving Hut today and the burger was absolutely delicious and then I had a nice piece of cake washed down with tea. The staff were lovely and very friendly and I said I would encourage other vegans to try it!

Consider me encouraged! Mr Spud and I are going to do the burger test as soon as we get paid Mmmm burger.....

PS - Don't forget there's always some with pitchforks and flaming torches.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

roll on march 20th! thats when i get to try it!

so you get to pick what you pay but the money goes to good causes. can i ask whats the average people pay for a burger and a drink do you think?

BlackCats

^ I had a burger and a piece of chocolate cake (they offered me soya cream to go with it) and two cups of tea and I gave them £15. I have no idea what other people would pay them but I would rather pay too much than too little so I hope what I paid was okay. I was told that many of the staff are volunteers.

cobweb

it sounds like a dream place!

Woah, so weird i saw this thread! I was just reading about The Loving Hut in a Mongolian online newspaper (don't ask) only yesterday! Never heard of it before but I think that's where it started, in Mongolia?

Can't see myself being in London any time soon (or Mongolia), but these burgers sound well-nice. Enjoy if you go!!

puca

I am gonna drag the lovely Windfall and maybe my pet Kiwi there on the weekend

Pet Kiwi? For some reason I have a mental picture of a kiwi fruit on a bit of string being dragged along the ground.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    ^ I had a burger and a piece of chocolate cake (they offered me soya cream to go with it) and two cups of tea and I gave them £15. I have no idea what other people would pay them but I would rather pay too much than too little so I hope what I paid was okay. I was told that many of the staff are volunteers.
    £15 sounds quite generous to me BC, depending on how big the burger was and what came with it.

Must admit without having been there I find the idea of the honesty system a bit offputting, as restaurant prices are so variable and we don't know what their overheads etc are. I would rather they had a price list. But I guess I'm in a minority there? I would like to go just the same, rolling pins or no rolling pins.

Quote harpy View Post
    I would rather they had a price list. But I guess I'm in a minority there?
    I'd prefer that too. Or at least a suggested price (or even just the actual cost price) that people could go under or over depending on how they felt about the food.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    Pet Kiwi? For some reason I have a mental picture of a kiwi fruit on a bit of string being dragged along the ground.
    Me too.

Quote harpy View Post
    £15 sounds quite generous to me BC, depending on how big the burger was and what came with it.

Must admit without having been there I find the idea of the honesty system a bit offputting, as restaurant prices are so variable and we don't know what their overheads etc are. I would rather they had a price list. But I guess I'm in a minority there? I would like to go just the same, rolling pins or no rolling pins.
    I would prefer a price list too honestly. I think the man said that £5 was the suggested minimum donation for food.

I wonder why they do it that way? I looked on their website and there was a price list for at least one other branch IIRC, one in the US. Possibly it's a trend though as there is apparently an omnivorous restaurant on the same system http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-the-crunch.do

Perhaps I will consider a rescued kiwi fruit for my next companion "animal", would avoid all those dilemmas about what to feed it.
    Last edited by harpy; Feb 24th, 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: misread date other restaurant opened, it isn't new

Whatever you do, don't feed it kiwi!

puca

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    No no.

I have a Kiwi lass living with me and she rocks.

She's vegan also and has introduced me to some good tune.

Buddha Belly

Quote harpy View Post

completely agree. The food is good, but it is hard price.

Quote puca View Post
    No no.

I have a Kiwi lass living with me and she rocks.

She's vegan also and has introduced me to some good tune.
    Ahhh now that makes much more sense!

is it just me that the website doesn't want to work for?
    when you try to click in the top side pages of the site nothing happens.
    can someone check please?
    I'd like to go there as planning to visit london sept 21 to 25...
    And am staying in primrose hill so that's pretty close I think?

I think it's just a single page at the moment without any active links, so nothing happens when you click on it. And yes I think it's pretty close to Primrose Hill!

puca

Does anybody know what burgers the place uses?

The guy said he gets them at Sainsburys... But Sainsburys own have eggs in

Uh oh.

eta Were you in there speaking to someone when you were told this puca? Did you say anything about the eggs? I'd have asked to see the packaging if it was me. (Or maybe you didn't realise til you went off to Sainsburys to buy some for yourself?)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

puca

Quote Marrers View Post
    Uh oh.

eta Were you in there speaking to someone when you were told this puca? Did you say anything about the eggs? I'd have asked to see the packaging if it was me. (Or maybe you didn't realise til you went off to Sainsburys to buy some for yourself?)
    I had already eaten it.

I could ask next time.

I hope they'd research it and have enough respect for people not to sell egg-based products.

If this is the case, how far can we trust Peking Palace?

It says "100% vegan" on their website, so I wouldn't normally think of checking if everything was vegan. But if I go, I will!

Buddha Belly

The burgers are fine. In there now and made the woman read the ingredients out. BTW far too good for sainsbury's. They get there supplies from a wholesalers in the Midlands

Hurray!

BlackCats

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    The burgers are fine. In there now and made the woman read the ingredients out. BTW far too good for sainsbury's. They get there supplies from a wholesalers in the Midlands
    Oh brilliant, cheers!

Buddha Belly

Just had a chat with the staff, they are all vegan, head cook for 14 years. They asked how we heard about us and we showed them the top of this thread, they were excited to see it

Well done BB!

Can people say what makes their burger the best burger? Does it taste very authentically meaty like something you had before you were vegan? Is it like a beefburger?
    (I'm not a fan of meat-like burgers, never liked them even as an omni, but am becoming curious about whether I should try one of these.)

Buddha Belly

The burger is moist with a savoury flavour (not meaty). They use a nice quality roll that is not a long life bun and sturdy enough to stay in one piece. Just the right mix of Mayo and ketchup. Enough veg for flavour without distracting from the main event. It all combines together just right.

Yum! I'll have to try this one next time I'm in London.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

21 days and counting. i will do a full review and take some pics of the food for you all lol

Quote puca View Post
    Does anybody know what burgers the place uses?

The guy said he gets them at Sainsburys... But Sainsburys own have eggs in
    Quote Buddha Belly View Post

I really liked the burger nice and soft moist and the whole thing was just right - flavour/texture and the bread roll was spot on and the relish/sauce.

Id of known fairly quickly if it had had egg in as Im very intollerant to egg white - Ive only once had egg by accident in something in my early days of being vegan and it made me ill.

Im in need of another visit to Loving hut next time Im in London its sooooooo good there.

Id rather have a price list as I hate deciding what to pay and did on 2 visits pay more than Id of paid if there had been a menu! But the food, service and staffing make it so worth it am happy to pay, for the buffet plate of food I went on Peking palace prices for the lunch buffet.

I need to plan my next trip to London but no more hol time as yet - guess I could do a day trip one Sat but Its about 3 hours each way from my door to London so I like to make a weekend of it.

Ohh I really want to try the loving hut!!!!!!

I'm guessing it's probably impossible to enjoy if you're avoiding wheat, soya and sugar, right?
    I've given them up for lent, so was planning to go when it's over, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist!
    mmmmmm....

There are so many Loving Hut locations out here in California....I've yet to be able to try out the restaurant, but here is a lovely review from an Los Angelenos' view...
    http://www.quarrygirl.com/category/l...ts/loving-hut/

I'm definitely going to check out the London location!

Someone told me they didn't think the london loving hut will last, does anybody know/think this is true?

If so I'm going to ignore lent and make a trip over!

I'd be so sad if I never got to go there!

It happened to me with red veg..I never went and now it's closed down!