Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

RubyDuby

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I liked it. The workout was really good and I'm a bit sore today, which is a good sign. One thing that annoys me is that when she switches to a new move the camera will close up on her. So she'll be doing a new type of kick, but you can't see her legs until half way. Why do they do that!!
    I have a couple of videos that are like that. So annoying.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

^ Yeah, and when they tell stories. Like she tells his whole story about how her and the other girl in the video met. Doesn't she realize people that are doing the video and going to do it a lot and maybe don't want to hear about it 100 times?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

fiamma you should totally go back for another lesson, knowing how to fall only takes a few lessons to sink in until it becomes second nature. i think ten minutes of newaza is more of a work out than an hour of thai boxing

RubyDuby

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I actually think I'm going to get 10 Minute Solution - Kickbox Bootcamp DVD instead. Great reviews, $9 and free shipping.
    We just did all 5 10 minute segments and I really liked it! It went by quickly, was fun, worked up a good sweat but was still doable, and now my stomach, butt and leg muscles feel really tight.

I just went to my first Brazilian Jiu Jitzu Class last week It was a lot of fun but I felt like such an uncoordinated noob. This week I must try harder to remember the techniques when drilling them. I'm also contemplating writing a big L and R on my left and right hands respectively.

i never came into this thread before.. haha.

i joined leeds puregym last night, have an induction on monday night and omg the machines look terrifying.

does anyone on Vf use puregym?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I had a go on the gymnesque contraptions recently bolted into a local park.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

there are some round pugneys. most fun.

Ohh...I'm trying *again* but Florida (next March!) is an amazing inspiration...I want to look better (if that is possible lol) and most importantly be able to walk around without extreme aggers...I even bought some shoes which are like, not the most attractive in the world but who cares!

Every other day...so today...I do some basic dancing around, stretching, toning etc etc exercises to get some "fat" burning in and make my legs especially able to hold the rest of me up but also to look good in a dress. haha

Then, so Monday this time, I'll go walking...only basic walking.

Eventually once I feel able to walk normally (if this ever happens, the doctor is very negative) I want to use my bike (I miss cycling!) and just go up and down the street once...

I'm trying not to think too much about future goals as my fitness improves slightly but I'll never (negative?!) will be up to the same level as a more physically "able" person...

One good thing about every other day is it swaps around. lol So one Monday I'll be doing strengthening/toning then next Monday more extreme "cardio"
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I've started the Insanity workout recently, I've put on a bit of weight over the past year despite being quite fit, and it's a serious workout! I can feel a big difference after just three weeks.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

RubyDuby

awesome! Now motivate me!

C'mon RubyDuby, left right etc.

RubyDuby

it's excited someone else is doing Insanity! That just might motivate me anyway!

I've never heard of such a workout...i'm guessing it is pretty insane?

I want an exercise video or should I say DVD? But one that isn't simple to follow and you can skip sections easily on "bad days" lol Plus not have to look at orange women in neon lycra outfits.........
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

RubyDuby

I know I've said it before, but try kickboxing! It's fun! (for me anyway...)
    Quote RubyDuby View Post
    For anyone that hasn't seen the Insanity infomercials, check it out here. If you need to get into serious shape quickly this will do it!

I should get paid for this.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    I've never heard of such a workout...i'm guessing it is pretty insane?

I want an exercise video or should I say DVD? But one that isn't simple to follow and you can skip sections easily on "bad days" lol Plus not have to look at orange women in neon lycra outfits.........
    It is damn crazy, but seriously good, well worth a go, give it a shot!

I doubt I'd be able to do it!

Trying to keep mentally and physically fit with this thing is sooooooooooooo difficult.

I managed to do my movement exercises yesterday...cardio today, later before bed. I have to do exercise before bed...if I do it in the morning like I used too, I end up passing out from fatigue for the rest of the day.

This is killing me. I'm only doing 15-30 minutes depending on day!

Still need to go to GP but I don't want too. lol

ooh. i joined puregym and have started going 3ish times a week. bike, rowing, evil looking torture machines (2 x 15 sets of some girly weight) then treadmill (carying speed/incline)/. i like!

should that be 2 sets of 15?

Evil looking torture machines. lol

I want to join a gym! If I can find one that isn't £50 a month. *faint*

Quote XchrisX View Post
    any judokas out there?
    I have been to judo about three times in two years. I had intended to reduce my risk of long term damage by only going when I wasn't injured... but with some persistent reasoning I managed to stave off the dojo manifestations altogether . My license is just about to expire, so I thought I would take a couple of refresher lessons knowing that I wouldn't get hooked in without renewing my license with money.

After lots of swimming, I really need some exercise which pulls my body back into full gravity mode.

Quote emmapresley View Post

should that be 2 sets of 15?
    I think you should say " I did it fifteen times; Then I did it fifteen more times. "

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    it's excited someone else is doing Insanity! That just might motivate me anyway!
    Y'know what I find one of the hardest parts of it? The cardio recovery day, those squat holds and pulses absolutely kill me, it's meant to be the easiest day! How's it going for you anyway? I'm coming towards the end of week four and don't feel ready for month two at all yet.

RubyDuby

I always replaced recovery with the week 5 work-out. I hate the recovery work-out!
    I think you'll really like week 5. It's my favorite. You do the same work-out all week and by Sat it's a breeze!

I haven't started doing it again.

I doubt I'll do it every day again. I'd like to aim for 3x/week.

Excellent, glad to hear those encouraging words about the second half!

I'm committed to doing the program in its entirety, as the calender dictates, I went from skinny to chubby over the past year and a half or so, and something needs to be done! I seem to have lost a small bit of weight so far, and my legs have definitely toned up, but the biggest difference I've seen is in my flexability. I can stretch waaay more than I could at the beginning. I shall keep you posted on my progress RubyDuby!

RubyDuby

We did it the whole way through last year and had amazing results. I felt like I could battle a ninja or something when I was done. Good luck! I hope you took before pics. It's so much fun to see the difference!

I downloaded Jillian Michael's* 30 Day Shred the other day. Mrs Frosty downloaded it and said I should give it a bash. To be honest, I first thought it would be a bit tame, but I was wrong; it's a pretty intense workout. Looking at some of the results of people on other websites, it's certainly seems to work too.

You're able to do it at home as well, so no need to be wiggling about in front of a gym full of muscley toned people in lycra.

It takes 25 minutes per session and you don't need too much room; just enough to be able to lie on the floor and do the occasional star-jump. You'll also need some dumbells.

I'm sure there's video's on YouTube and the likes, if you want to check it out. Worth having a bash though, if you're looking at dropping a couple of lbs.

*If, like me, you don't know who this Jillian lady is, she's quite big in the States aparently. She does the fitness sessions on one of those Fattest Loser programmes as well.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Hello Frosty [&co].

This morning I'm going to swim in that big pond I posted last year [or the year before]. I went in for the first time the other Wednesday. It was flipping cold [but eighteen degrees celcius in reality]. The bouyed out course is about 500 metres. I found breathing difficult due to the almost overwhelming urge to inhale. In the indoor pool I swim with my head mostly under the water, and that is a large component of my swimming style. Therefore with cold water rushing over the head, and the reflexive consequences, I find myself learning to swim again.

The bouyancy of the wetsuit not only causes problems generating forward motion, but [combined with water waves] also leads to a kind of motion sickness . I haven't suffered nausea yet, but on getting back on solid ground I found a severe dizziness, like walking on a ferry in rough sea.

I managed two laps last time. I couldn't feel my feet at the end from cold.

Blimey, that sounds a little dangerous, Whalespace. Be careful if it's making you feel dizzy, that's not what you want when you're stood next to water.

I haven't been on a scale in over a year so when I got on finally, I couldn't believe that I saw! About 20lbs more then I'd have liked (about 25 more then I was). I now have a goal set for myself, 10lbs over the next 6 weeks. I think it's quite a big goal but at least it'll get me to work hard. I'm going to try to exercise 6 times a week. 3 will of course be climbing, the rest will probably try and focus on cardio type things. I have my OH watching my food intake as he does all the cooking and packs lunches for me. I hope I can stick with it and see some results. The thought of ending up back where I was really scares me
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Did another workout today. I believe I'll never get to grips with these pesky bicycle crunches though.

I still exercising for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week...I think I need to eat more variety. I just can't find my motiviation to cook!

So I finished my first week. I climbed 3 days and included sets of ab work and push ups. I walked a mile and half to work, mostly up hill two days (the only days I work at that office). Did a short cardio kickboxing DVD workout. An hour and a half bike ride. I also was much more conscious of what I was eating and careful about it but did not go so far as to feel hungry. I lost 4 pounds. I didn't think it was possible to lose so much in a week without starving.

You must be very fit already DiaShel to do all that..........I'm exhausted just reading it!

I've been thinking lately about getting a treadmill and today I made up my mind.....................I'm getting a treadmill!!!!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I just noticed this thread is public.

Quote sandra View Post
    You must be very fit already DiaShel to do all that..........I'm exhausted just reading it!

I've been thinking lately about getting a treadmill and today I made up my mind.....................I'm getting a treadmill!!!!
    A treadmill??? That's my absolute worst nightmare! I can't think of anything more boring then walking in place. Some people seem to like it though

Yes, I don't fancy walking around the streets on my own so I thought a treadmill might be better than nothing..............plus, I can always hang my clothes on it if all else fails!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Hello folks, thought I'd also chime in.

I'm also trying to get in shape, and doing it the old-fashioned boring way. As I have two kids (7&8 years old) and my wife certainly expects me to be around in the evenings to help her (so that eliminates going to the gym or dojo), the only time left for myself is early in the morning. So I get up at 5:00 o'clock and do a 3-mile to 6-mile morning run, about 30 to 60 minutes (depending on whether I really manage to get up at 5:15 or whether I am a bit lazy and take longer).

I certainly notice it in my personal fitness. Our house is close to a little mountain, when I started with running about half a year ago, I could hardly make it for one mile running up the mountain, now I make it to the top (about 2,5 miles) and back in a leisurely morning run, listening to Gary Francione or veganfreaks podcasts or the soundtrack of 'The adventures of Priscilla, queen of the desert'. So my long-term target is running a half-marathon again or doing a triathlon (starting with the 'olympic distance', which is 1500m /40 km / 10 km). But I would have to get a racing bike for that I guess, I currently only have a mountain-bike.

Best regards,
    Andy

I wouldn't fancy attempting an Oly distance on a mountain bike.

You would probably get away with a sprint distance if you put some slicks on and weren't super serious about your bike split.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Way to go Andy and Diashel!

I am also trying to lose weight and get into better shape. My half hearted attempts have failed in the past couple of years, mostly because I love to cook and my low-fat efforts are never quite as satisfying. However, for the past 21 days I have been eating much better and exercising more often. I have lost 5 pounds and am still going strong. I use my free apartment gym which really just has cardio equipment, so I do the eliptical machines, but I have also been doing lots of sit-ups and leg exercises (squats and lunges). It is getting easier.

I am interested in getting a membership at a local fitness center, but have not committed yet. Has anyone tried zumba? If so, what are your thoughts?

Yay for everyone who is getting in shape!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

From what I've heard, if you're coordinated and like dancing, Zumba is for you. I know lots of people who do it and have only heard one [uncoordinated] person say she didn't like it. Everyone else loves it.

Fond- Zumba depends a lot of in instructor. Some go at it half hearted and it's not very fun but other really love it and make it a great experience. I think you should see if you can get a free pass. They will usually do that if it's your first time, and then you can see if it's something you want to do.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I wouldn't fancy attempting an Oly distance on a mountain bike.

You would probably get away with a sprint distance if you put some slicks on and weren't super serious about your bike split.
    Hello Jiffy, right now for me it is really only about making the distance, regardless of the time I get (while keeping within the allowed max, of course). I will have to work on my swimming technique, anyway.

Best regards,
    Andy

I found Zumba needed concentration to get up to speed with the moves . It was fun[ny] though, I don't know if instructor styles vary. Are the moves the same everywhere? What are the common threads?

I work out everyday for 90 to 120 minutes, and still keep gaining weight. Up until a couple months ago, I ran outside every morning (7 to 10 miles....sometimes more in summer). Right now I do kickboxing for a warm-up, treadmill for 30 to 90 minutes for cardio, and weight-lifting. I have yet to crack the code for eating enough to fuel my workouts, while cutting enough calories to lose fat. I really wanted to do a marathon this year but my weight gain makes the extra miles much slower and more painful on my body. So I decided I should focus more on weight loss first, then maybe a marathon next year. I was hoping veganism would help with weight loss, but I think the dried fruit is sabatoging me, lol. That, and perhaps the soy (?)....cuz I'm hypothyroid. I'll keep trying though.

@Beanie - Being Vegan can really help you lose weight well, if not that fast. Unless you are cutting out too many foods, which I really don't suggest. In fact, I learned a lot from the Thrive Diet book by Brendan Brazier. He is insanely into fitness and his recipes and suggestions are very good. Both me and my OH exercise and do rock climbing a lot. In fact, I lost 10 kgs, which is 22 pounds in just over a month and a half. I was very strict and didn't snack apart from popcorn and a little chocolate. I never had dried fruit though. The Thrive Diet is not the tastiest though, as I don't think Mr Brazier was ever introduced to an actual chocolate flavor (no offense intended, the man is a genius), but I have recently started using his "chocolate" flavored Vega shake. Hard to swallow but gives you an intense amount of energy!
    Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them.
    We live by the death of others. We are burial places. -LDV
    I choose not to be.

I personally did not lose weight when I switched from vegetarian to vegan. However, I am a lot more health conscious than I was, and when I do try to lose weight, I find that I can do it easier and in a more healthy manner.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I did not lose weight either when I switched from a vegetarian diet high in dairy products to a vegan diet high in processed junk analog products.

However, when I read 'The China Study' and 'The 80/10/10 Diet' and started to eliminate all additional oils and fats (meaning fats not in their natural state as components of unprocessed fruits and vegetables) and empty starches (like white flour and sugar), I was able to lose ~ 30 lb in about half a year, bringing me from an 'overweight' to a 'normal' BMI rating.

While I like the taste of some dried fruits, they are much healthier in their natural state (and the water contained in them is actually some of the best water you can get for your body).
    I also use nuts sparingly (about half an ounce of walnuts / cashews a day to get my omega-3's, but that's it)

Best regards,
    Andy

@AzureAngel...I have actually been watching his Thrive in 30 series. I can't remember for sure but I think I'm on lesson eight (give or take). Been wanting to explore the Vega products but the price keeps driving me away. Have you had any of the bars?

@Andy...I must confess, I've heard the 80/10/10 thing a lot but have very little idea of what it is. I assumed it's a carb/protein/fat ratio or something(?).

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually bought dried fruit for the sole purpose of making my own protein bars for when I eat on the go. They're just so darn tempting!

The Vega stuff can be quite expensive yes and I would really more suggest it to someone who wants to make sure they have optimum levels of all the nutrients they need when exercising a lot. I have not tried the bars yet, we use the Cliff and Luna bars.

I have the say the best thing is just to check what veggies are good for you in regards to total nutrient intake, cook all your meals yourself and use as little oils and non-wholegrain stuff as you can. Also, I agree with Andy, fruit in their natural state is better.

One other thing to look out for is your eating habits. It has been found that eating in a 7 day cycle consistently adds to weight loss, whereas if you do not your body might unnecessarily store fat to help itself for when you might not eat again. Furthermore, for both health and weight loss purposes, fasting is a very good thing. I have been told that fasting 2-3 times a week is very healthy. This means not having breakfast and having brunch around 12pm - 1pm instead. This helps the body detox. Drink water though, it is not a complete fast.
    Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them.
    We live by the death of others. We are burial places. -LDV
    I choose not to be.

@AzureAngel, ok, I gotta ask this. Since you're familiar with the Thrive diet, maybe you'll know the answer. Brendan says that during high intensity, shorter workouts, the body utilizes mostly fat for fuel. Whereas during longer, lower intensity (endurance) workouts, the body uses mostly glucose for fuel. I always thought it was the other way around??? Is it a misprint (in the Thrive in 30 series)? Or does he explain where he gets that information in his book? It's buggin' me, lol.