Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Talking Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

On Tuesday went to a different yoga class: proper studio with mirrors, about 15 in the class, teacher who demonstrated everything and watched everyone to check our progress!! It was great.
    The downside: following that and my swimming session on Wednesday morning, I am quite stiff around my core muscles - proof that it was a good workout, but made it tricky to teach today!
    Have already booked in again for next week.

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Sounds like a good class, Helen!

I didn't exercise last week as I had such a bad headache and sinus pains. I am considering joining a gym again because I really prefer working out in the morning. Just checked out one near work but it's super small and I wonder if it would get too busy in the morning, it's also expensive. On my way back I saw a place advertising 24hr fitness, seems like you get a membership card and that allows ou to go at any time and it's about half the price. Might check it out tomorrow.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

indeed!

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

I joined the swimming club at my gym. There are some amazing swimmers there including triathletes and county swimmers. They are way better than me and it is tough going swimming approximately 2,500m in the hour long session with all kinds of different drills. I really enjoy it though and the coach is great. I can feel my stroke improving already!

I have my Pilates class tonight - agggghhhh - it is so difficult.....I am sure it should be getting easier by now?!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

How long have you been going? I'd be more worried if it was super easy and wasn't working me out.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote Holly78 View Post
    I joined the swimming club at my gym. There are some amazing swimmers there including triathletes and county swimmers. They are way better than me and it is tough going swimming approximately 2,500m in the hour long session with all kinds of different drills. I really enjoy it though and the coach is great. I can feel my stroke improving already!
    Will you be trying open water swimming this year Holly? I'll be cycling over to a nearby marina soon, to prepare my legs for a swim in one of their ponds later in the warm season.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    How long have you been going? I'd be more worried if it was super easy and wasn't working me out.
    Since the New Year! I expect it to be difficult, but I actually find it impossible to do some of the movements. My hamstrings are very tight (maybe because I do a lot of running and hiking?) which seems to be a severe limitation!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote whalespace View Post
    Will you be trying open water swimming this year Holly? I'll be cycling over to a nearby marina soon, to prepare my legs for a swim in one of their ponds later in the warm season.
    Well I like swimmming in the sea but have never found lakes in this country to be very appealing with all the mud, weeds, old bicycle wheels etc that have been chucked in there! Having said that, I am planning to spend Easter in the Lake District and if the waters look inviting (and it isn't too cold!) I will go in.

Where is the marina you are going to go to?

I will PM you the marina location... I guess some of your club might use it. I read the risk assessment from a local club which use the 'pool' , it was kind of worrying in places, but I think they check the water for "submerged hazards"... obviously they could miss something. Wet suits make for tough skin... I worry more about Weil's disease [leptospirosis].
    Neoprene wetsuits also provide substantial bouyancy [which can feel quite funny].

My Dad gave me a birthday card with a Lake District picture... it looked very inviting.
    Last edited by whalespace; Feb 20th, 2010 at 06:56 AM.

I joined the gym I mentioned, it's really cheap and open 24 hrs so I have been going really early in the morning before work and I'm enjoying it went 4 times last week and twice this week.

I've been eating really crappy since the New Year. Lack of funds has left me relying on my mother for buying me food (I live at home but I prefer to shop for food with my own money if I have some to spare). I've been basically eating cereal, veggie burgers, chocolate soy milk, chips, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. Sometimes she'll get me some veggies for stir fries if vegetables are on sale. I feel really gross and blahhh.

I'm finally started to catch-up, moneywise, and I caaaannn't waaaaiittt to buy some food for myself!! I feel really motivated to eat healthy. I want to buy all sorts of gorgeous, healthy foods.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Talking Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Hi, i'm new to the site and this is my first post. Only really became vegan in November and i can't express how good i feel, both mentally and physically!

i just love to walk and everyday i go for a 3 mile walk in the fields and woods near where i work. It's so amazing, right now the birds are preparing to nest and the woods are coming alive with the sound of new life. There are new green buds everywhere with the snow drops are covering the floor like a blanket of white snow. ahhh bliss

Welcome to the forum and veganism! It only gets better!!

Hi mecocat! I am in South Staffordshire so not too far from you. Welcome to the forum.

I have not been to Pilates for two weeks with one thing or another but will definitely go this week. I think it is helping my swimming actually...

I've lost three inches off my waist!

Congrats TL!
    Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I've been eating really crappy since the New Year. Lack of funds has left me relying on my mother for buying me food (I live at home but I prefer to shop for food with my own money if I have some to spare). I've been basically eating cereal, veggie burgers, chocolate soy milk, chips, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. Sometimes she'll get me some veggies for stir fries if vegetables are on sale. I feel really gross and blahhh.

I'm finally started to catch-up, moneywise, and I caaaannn't waaaaiittt to buy some food for myself!! I feel really motivated to eat healthy. I want to buy all sorts of gorgeous, healthy foods.
    I go through phases of not eating as well as I could. Sometimes it's easier to eat junk or carbs rather than cook something more nutritious esp. when you are low on money for the time being. I hope you get to do the shopping soon TL

And welcome Mecocat!

Thank Kitteh. Granted, it's three inches lost since October...

I've super busy so I haven't gone shopping lately but my mother has picked up some yummy things for me last time she went shopping. Vegetables!!

Yay for veggies!

Yest'day I did 30 mins on the treadmill. Today I did 30 mins on the treadmill plus 10 mins on the bike.

30mins on the treadmill sounds amazing. well done!

i'm doing badly. i was going to go to the health disco tonight but fell asleep after work. oops! but i did eat a bread roll instead of the packet of crisps i really wanted. that's good right? right?
    :s

I laid in the sun for 50 minutes.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Effortlessly addressing the healthy thread component LMNOP.

Well, I got my Vitamin D, right?

I do actually exercise, it just depends on pain levels. But regularly, I do yoga, resistance bands, and some strength training. And if I'm cleared for more exercise in 2 weeks, I'll be doing cardio on the elliptical, too!

elliptical would be good for you cause its low impact right? I love those things so much.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Yeah, ellipticals are really low impact and super good for toning. I love them! If I do the uphill setting, it also helps stabilize core muscles like with running, without the impact on my vertebrae and joints.

gets the heart going! I want one at home, I wish I had the room for one.

Me too! I have a ballet studio in the basement, though... so I wouldn't have any room for an elliptical. Unless, I put it in the dining room or library. Weird places to work out!

I just want one in front of the tv. lol

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Well, I got my Vitamin D, right?

I love lying in the sun for fifteen minutes between housework chores etc.. The garden here slopes a little, so the blood can run to my head aswell.

Next I look up "elliptical".

BlackCats

Me too! I have a ballet studio in the basement, though... so I wouldn't have any room for an elliptical. Unless, I put it in the dining room or library. Weird places to work out!
    Your home sounds huge. My house only has 5 rooms! I have to use my trampoline in my living room and shut the cats in the kitchen.

Next I look up "elliptical".
    Me too. Elliptical trainer - Wikipedia Oh right.

I have been doing more walking lately. It's nice now the weather is a bit warmer here.

I love lying in the sun for fifteen minutes between housework chores etc.. The garden here slopes a little, so the blood can run to my head aswell.
    I've been meditating on the deck in the sun everyday for 30-60 minutes. It's so amazing. Though, it's only the 4th day I've seen the sun since like... November; but I hope it stays this way!

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Your home sounds huge. My house only has 5 rooms! I have to use my trampoline in my living room and shut the cats in the kitchen.
    'Tis... I live in good ol' suburbia.

BlackCats

'Tis... I live in good ol' suburbia.
    Don't be embarrassed, I would love a big house..... to fill full of companion animals.

I did 30 minutes of trampolining yesterday.

I swear friends are trying to fatten me up intentionally.
    Have gained ten pounds.

I was thinking of doing a diet like this: I eat healthy and only when I am truly hungry and drink plenty of water and exercise six days a week: then on the seventh day (Sunday), I scarf down on chili dogs and Vegetable Thins and fatty soup cups and cookies and chips.
    Will that work? Or will that one day ruin whatever else I've done? I do plan on still exercising that day.

If you exercise enough Sarah, then you might find you have barely enough time to eat the useful food, let alone the stuff you don't need.

Bleh. I don't much fancy using up my whole day exercising. Guess I should nix the safe-day idea.

Seriously, there might come a point where you worry that you can't eat enough before you are no longer hungry. Obviously you could drink olive oil... if you had already obtained all of your essential fatty acids from elsewhere , etcetera.

I want one of those elliptical trainers too, they sound right up my street!

(I've been skipping lately but it's left me with sore ankles )
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I have used the elliptical trainer a couple of times, and couldn't really get on with it. The first time I used it, my trainer told me I was doing it backwards

Skipping is a great form of exercise, Sandra, keep it up! Although, you may want to rest a while if you're getting sore ankles. Don't want to end up doing some permanent damage.

I am currently the heaviest I have ever been I am still playing football once a week, but need to motivate myself in to doing more. The main problem I think with me and exercising is that I get bored very quickly. I can't stand to be on a treadmill for more than about 15-20 minutes. I used to cycle a fair bit, and live near some of the countries nicest routes, but my bike was stolen so not much chance of that at the mo. I don't tend to eat a lot of fattening or sugary food, but I do drink a fair amount of alcohol a week. I think it's safe to say that that it where the weight gain has come from. Why did God make cider so damn tasty?!?!

Time to get my fat ass into shape! (I want to look pretty on my wedding day ).
    I like football. And potatoes.

Quote Frosty View Post
    Why did God make cider so damn tasty?!?!
    Haha. I've been asking myself the same question.
    Perhaps you should pretend it doesn't exist, and drink something you don't like, then you won't drink so much. Lol. If only it was that easy.

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone.
    I myself have been too sick to exercise, so just laying in bed getting flabby, eating chocolate. Lol.
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

Quote Frosty View Post
    I am currently the heaviest I have ever been
    Fat B@stard.

Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Frosty View Post
    I have used the elliptical trainer a couple of times, and couldn't really get on with it. The first time I used it, my trainer told me I was doing it backwards

Skipping is a great form of exercise, Sandra, keep it up! Although, you may want to rest a while if you're getting sore ankles. Don't want to end up doing some permanent damage.

Time to get my fat ass into shape! (I want to look pretty on my wedding day ).
    I bet you'll look as gorgeous as ever on your wedding day Frosty! xxx

I'll probably give the skipping a rest for a few days and then get back to it next week. It's fun while I'm doing it but the next day it comes back to haunt me!

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Fat B@stard.

No Frosty, I like you just the way you are... don't give in to the desire to feel happy.

Quote sandra View Post

(I've been skipping lately but it's left me with sore ankles )
    Sore ankles or sore ankle muscles?
    I need to 'stretch' my ankles each day in various ways:

kneeling with the tops of my toes on the carpet;
    on tip toes [but kneeling];
    crouching on tip toes;
    shifting my weight around to the most 'painfull' position;
    manipulating feet etcetera.

I suppose that knowing the difference between pain from damaging pressures, and harmless pain might not be straight forward all of the time.

One interesting aspect of stretching is knowing that the pain involved is doing good things... good pain to revel in. Technically some very minor damage is being done to the muscles as the fibres are gently stretched, but the newly forming muscle tissue will otherwise repair[grow] in the state you left it in.

I've been riding 10-15 miles a day on the spinner bikes at my campus gym to prepare for the roadbike i'm gonna get this summer!

Sore ankles or sore ankle muscles?
    I'm not sure. I have been stretching and turning my ankles at night while I'm watching tv to try and ease them. I think maybe I'm over-doing the skipping.............I count as I skip and if I get distracted and lose count I start from the beginning again!

Quote mariogirl View Post
    I've been riding 10-15 miles a day on the spinner bikes at my campus gym to prepare for the roadbike i'm gonna get this summer!
    Cycling's great! I used to do a lot of that years ago when I didn't creak as much! It was good fun. :smile:

Quote sandra View Post
    Cycling's great! I used to do a lot of that years ago when I didn't creak as much! It was good fun. :smile:
    Creak as much! LMAO. Aww, poor old lady. Lol. Jokes.

I creak, too ! Why is Ms Sandy on this thread? You're tiny!

RubyDuby

tiny doesn't always mean fit... although I'm not saying sandra isn't. I don't know if she is!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    tiny doesn't always mean fit...
    Exactly!
    Or maybe Sandra isn't trying to 'get' fit and healthy she is trying to STAY fit and healthy which is always a good thing.
    I use to exercise everyday (still try to regularly but haven't been able to as much, due to some health issues), but my mum and sister would say things like "As if you need to exercise." (Not that I was ever tiny. Lol.)
    Anyway, I would say "I need to exercise, so as to continue to look healthy, and even if I looked the same without exercising, my insides would not."
    So even if you look like a super model doesn't mean your body is as fit and healthy as an athlete's on the inside.
    Blah. I talk so much crap. I need to shut up and get a life, I think. Lol.

RubyDuby

it's true.

I'm not overweight, but definitely not fit right now!
    I want roller skates...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.