Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Thanks Sandra, I was determined to lose all the weight before my 50th birthday in 2012. I couldn't face being fat and 50.
    Silent but deadly :p

Going by your profile photo you look about 30 something!!!!
    I bet you'll look great at 50! xxx
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

^ Well done Hemlock! 3 stone is a fab achievement.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Kitteh - do you have a link for this? I'm really interested!
    Here's a link for the Couch 2 5k program and another - it's been a lot of fun but I seemed to have stopped. I'm going to pick it up again

Quote Hemlock View Post
    I've lost almost three stone recently. I keep having to buy new clothes. It's amazing how much fitter you feel when you are not trailing a load of flab
    Nice work
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Hemlock - That's freaking amazing lady!!!!!! I'm finding that I have to buy new clothes too! Maybe I'll stop hating my body and look hot for Brighton Pride next year.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I'm feeling distinctly unhealthy at the moment. Since moving house I find it difficult to find time to exercise, and I keep eating all the wrong stuff, mainly due to lack of time and the easiness of having PB on toast!
    But, I know that if I make the effort, I can get back into the good habits I had in the summer, so tomorrow I start again!
    Just thought I'd share that, as somehow putting it into print makes it kind of official.
    So here's to a healthy time until Christmas !

I'm only a few weeks away from a flat stomach! It's a far cry from the two stone of fat I had on there a year ago!

As for finding time, I work over 60 hours every single week and I still manage to eat a mainly raw diet (which involves alot of prep), have a social life, maintain my relationship, go to protests and go to the gym/classes four times a week. My secret? Dedication! If you want something bad enough, you will make it happen! Good luck to you SmallHelen!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Hey guys, just a quick question. I've been extremely physically active lately and figured I should fix my diet and see what I get out of it So I've lost the junk food and most of the juices. So the question. I made a soup today with a whole can of lentils (540 ml) and wasn't sure what else to eat aside from that to get some more protein. Is it unhealthy to consume a whole can in a day? How about that and a whole can of kidney beans or black beans aswell?

If you can, try and go for the dried lentils etc because you're adding extra salt and sugar to your diet using ones from a tin. I would also recommend using fruit for fuel, veg for general eating and protein for post workout. That's what works for me and has helped me shift fat, up my performance and put on muscle.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    If you can, try and go for the dried lentils etc because you're adding extra salt and sugar to your diet using ones from a tin. I would also recommend using fruit for fuel, veg for general eating and protein for post workout. That's what works for me and has helped me shift fat, up my performance and put on muscle.
    I drain and rinse the canned ones, but I'll take a look at dried, even if they're cheaper it would help me out I was just trying to think how to get 60-65 grams of protein in my diet. The apples don't seem to be doing much

RubyDuby

There is protein in most foods and those little bits add up throughout the day if you're eating healthy. Your daily bagel adds 7-10 grams of protein... even dark chocolate adds 3 grams! It might be worth it for you to use a calorie counter that keeps track of nutrition in your diet for a few days to help you ease your mind about protein. Sometimes I use www.caloriecount.com when I'm needing to eat healthier.

Some food that are high in protein are soy products (soy milk, tofu, edamame, tempeh, etc), wheat gluten (seitan), veggie burgers and other "fake meats", sprouted beans and seeds, quinoa, nuts and nut butters, and as you know beans (baked beans, chilli, etc).
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    There is protein in most foods and those little bits add up throughout the day if you're eating healthy. Your daily bagel adds 7-10 grams of protein... even dark chocolate adds 3 grams! It might be worth it for you to use a calorie counter that keeps track of nutrition in your diet for a few days to help you ease your mind about protein. Sometimes I use www.caloriecount.com when I'm needing to eat healthier.

Some food that are high in protein are soy products (soy milk, tofu, edamame, tempeh, etc), wheat gluten (seitan), veggie burgers and other "fake meats", sprouted beans and seeds, quinoa, nuts and nut butters, and as you know beans (baked beans, chilli, etc).
    I was just thinking the more protein the better But beans are also really high in fibre, so I got probably 140% or so of my fibre yesterday. Just got into some strength exercising, so I want to see if it will make any differences before I crash and go back to potato chips

You don't mention what you mean by physically active, so don't know why you think you need more protein. I lift weights several times a week, don't take any extra protein or supplements (other than b & d). Seems to work for me

Quote mini_mi View Post
    You don't mention what you mean by physically active, so don't know why you think you need more protein. I lift weights several times a week, don't take any extra protein or supplements (other than b & d). Seems to work for me
    I've been doing a lot of hiking, not so much the past few days with an injury... Then just some pushups and situps. I keep going back between a healthy diet, and a crappy diet I've just started eating healthy again, so maybe if I notice a difference I'll continue with it. So i figured the more protein the more you'd notice with strength exercising, right? (I think ) I take a vegan multi-vitamin, but that's it. So I was trying to count the grams of protein today. 16 total with the bread, about 23 with the beans, 2 or 3 with the rice, another 2 or 3 with the peanut butter, and then whatever protein I got from a few bananas, an apple, some grapes, corn and green beans. So around.... 50 grams maybe?

If your just doing push ups and sit-ups, no need for more protein than you are already eating. Even once you start hiking again you are fine. You are actually going to need more carbs to maintain energy levels. Eat more bananas, dates, figs.

I find that if I up my protein levels, I have to seriously up my water intake. I feel more dehydrated. I think this is to do with the liver having to work harder, although don't quote me on that one. I do take hemp protein, but then I'm building muscle and not just doing aerobic exercise.

I went to a spinning class last night for the first time and didn't find it too bad. My bum however....well let's just say John Wayne's in town!

Lol I don't know much about this so I'm just kind of winging it. Another week or so and I'll be sick of it and buy 2 bags of potato chips

RubyDuby

It's been 4 months since I've really worked out. Did the warm-up to Insanity this morning (which is 15 minutes or intense cardio) and it kicked my ass.

guess I have 1 resolution in place.

RubyDuby

OK, I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and the thought of having to fit into my swim suit from last year is causing a little stress. I was in pretty good shape last summer and have been a lazy junk food eater all winter. I know 2 weeks isn't very long (procrastinator extraordinare) but I'm going full force.
    I'm trying a macrobiotic type diet and hardcore exercise daily. I need motivation to exercise though! I've been trying to get back into that for awhile but have learned that I won't do it without a buddy. My boyfriend is pretty much no help anymore. He lost 30 lbs when we were exercising last year, and has of course kept it off doing absolutely nothing for 6 months other than not overeating. I guess that's the difference between being a 6'2 28 year old man and 5'4 30 year old woman eating close to the exact same thing everyday! Boo!

I didn't have any coffee, alcohol or sugar yesterday (other than a little grape juice for flavoring dinner, a couple of blackberries and a packet of chocolate buttons ).

So, who out there is exercising?? Shame me into this!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    OK, I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and the thought of having to fit into my swim suit from last year is causing a little stress. I was in pretty good shape last summer and have been a lazy junk food eater all winter. I know 2 weeks isn't very long (procrastinator extraordinare) but I'm going full force.
    I'm trying a macrobiotic type diet and hardcore exercise daily. I need motivation to exercise though! I've been trying to get back into that for awhile but have learned that I won't do it without a buddy. My boyfriend is pretty much no help anymore. He lost 30 lbs when we were exercising last year, and has of course kept it off doing absolutely nothing for 6 months other than not overeating. I guess that's the difference between being a 6'2 28 year old man and 5'4 30 year old woman eating close to the exact same thing everyday! Boo!

I didn't have any coffee, alcohol or sugar yesterday (other than a little grape juice for flavoring dinner, a couple of blackberries and a packet of chocolate buttons ).

So, who out there is exercising?? Shame me into this!
    A packet of chocolate buttons? OMG! Lol. I don't know why I find it so easy to continue. Maybe because once you see the results, you don't want to stop Running would probably be one of the best things to do right now. The intense cardio you were doing in December. Anything that will keep the heart rate up. Walking is good, but it takes a long time to get results. Get your boyfriend to come with you

RubyDuby

It was only 25 g of buttons! Blame cobweb.

I walk all day at work and don't really have time for it anyway. Running is good. I could probably get him to do that.

I saw amazing results last year, and then stopped. I'm going to do the work-out today. I am. I will. I'm just working on getting hydrated first. I did get a co-worker to do Insanity during our lunch break last week, and I almost passed out in the middle!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    It was only 25 g of buttons! Blame cobweb.

I walk all day at work and don't really have time for it anyway. Running is good. I could probably get him to do that.

I saw amazing results last year, and then stopped. I'm going to do the work-out today. I am. I will. I'm just working on getting hydrated first. I did get a co-worker to do Insanity during our lunch break last week, and I almost passed out in the middle!
    Blame Cobweb.... tisk tisk If you've got a treadmill, that's great too. I got my tv hooked up infront of the one at the house back in Ontario. Hoping it will get my parents on it once in a while. That was probably the easiest. Jog for 30 minutes through a favourite tv show

RubyDuby

For anyone that hasn't seen the Insanity infomercials, check it out here. If you need to get into serious shape quickly this will do it!

I should get paid for this.

That looks...um...insane! LOVE the look of it! Thanks for the heads-up, RubyDuby.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

RubyDuby

yw. It sucks, but it's worth it!

RubyDuby

ok, so I only did ten minutes of Insanity yesterday and it kicked my butt. I'm thinking I'll try a less intense video today.

I did well sticking to my diet yesterday, but I did end up eating the other half of a raw nut bar I saw lurking in the fridge, one caramel choice and 2 rather large glasses of wine.

I love this macrobiotic type diet I'm trying. I'm full all day and I dropped 3 pounds in 2 days.

Help I am disgusted with my body; I wouldn't say I'm fat, exactly, but I could do with losing 5kg or so (10-12lbs), and toning up.
    Thing is, I've tried about every sport under the sun, and nothing really grabs me. I just can't get motivated to do anything. I also suffer from depression, which makes it more difficult to get my butt in gear.
    And all the sports facilities around here suck.

What's more, today is my 39th birthday, and I'm getting the feeling that if I don't get into good habits by the time I hit my 40s... well, it's just not on.
    I walk the dog probably 3k a day, but that's it.

Suggestions? I'm starting to feel like I'm a lost cause.

RubyDuby

It sounds like we're in the same boat fiamma! I hate exercising, am not really overweight but need toning for my own peace of mind. The only thing that has worked for me so far is dropping $150 on the Insanity DVDs. That is an insane amount of money for me so I felt like I had to do the program.

Have you tried kickboxing? If I had to choose a favorite type of exercise that would be it! It works all the right muscles and helps get out a lot of frustration!

I bought a set of skipping workout DVDs a while ago from a company in California called RopeSport - they're a lot of fun! I should get them back out..

Thanks Ruby! Never tried kick boxing; I'd probably have to join a gym... right? And it's just too expensive for me right now.

Quote fiamma View Post
    Help I am disgusted with my body; I wouldn't say I'm fat, exactly, but I could do with losing 5kg or so (10-12lbs), and toning up.
    Thing is, I've tried about every sport under the sun, and nothing really grabs me. I just can't get motivated to do anything. I also suffer from depression, which makes it more difficult to get my butt in gear.
    And all the sports facilities around here suck.

What's more, today is my 39th birthday, and I'm getting the feeling that if I don't get into good habits by the time I hit my 40s... well, it's just not on.
    I walk the dog probably 3k a day, but that's it.

Suggestions? I'm starting to feel like I'm a lost cause.
    Happy Birthday My parents have just started to get into an exercise routine and slightly better eating. And they've got more than 20 years on you, so I don't think you have to worry about being "a lost cause" Just gotta keep looking for something you enjoy to do that will keep you active. My mom hates walking, hates the treadmill, so she goes to public swims at the pool which is pretty good exercise and good for socializing too. My dad does alot of walking. I'd say 8-12km on some days. I like biking, even just around town. Running is fun too.

RubyDuby

Quote fiamma View Post
    Thanks Ruby! Never tried kick boxing; I'd probably have to join a gym... right? And it's just too expensive for me right now.
    No, the only kickboxing I've tried is in my living room with a DVD. There's some in Insanity and some in the Jillian Michael's DVDs.
    Jeanette Jenkins / The Hollywood Trainer: Kickboxing Bootcamp DVD has great reviews on Amazon and is only $13. I'm going to get it. eta: I actually think I'm going to get 10 Minute Solution - Kickbox Bootcamp DVD instead. Great reviews, $9 and free shipping.

Anyone have a good kickboxing DVD recommendation? Sorry if it's already been mentioned!

PS Happy Birthday!!

leedsveg

^^

Happy Birthday f (I've only just found out that the picture is of Sylvia Plath, not you.)

If, as it sounds, you're not sporty, I suggest doing what you do do, ie walking. If you keep varying the route and try to go progressively further and faster, the pounds should come down and you'll feel more motivated. Good idea to wear decent running shoes to protect your joints and take water with you to ensure you remain hydrated.

Good wishes for whatever do.

Leedsveg

Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions, and for the birthday wishes... I'm really touched

I will definitely try and get myself motivated to do some of these Good luck to all with your exercising

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Jeanette Jenkins / The Hollywood Trainer: Kickboxing Bootcamp DVD has great reviews on Amazon and is only $13. I'm going to get it. eta: I actually think I'm going to get 10 Minute Solution - Kickbox Bootcamp DVD instead. Great reviews, $9 and free shipping.
    I just ordered this a few days ago. I'm been doing the advanced Tae Bo (Billy Blanks) video for like 6 years so am pretty bored. He's really cheesy when he gets all motivations. I'm excited to try the new one.
    I'm less active then I've been in years. My climbing partner broke her ankle so she's no good to me. It's too hot to do much outdoors. I'm tried some swimming classes but I just don't really like it (swallowing a mouthful of water... not fun). I think it'll be better when my boyfriend moves here as he'll climb with me regularly and we can start working out in the mornings. I need some motivation and he's into it so that'll help.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

Which DVD did you order? Let me know how you like it. I just ordered the 10 min solutions video.

^ Kickboxing bootcamp. Will do!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

15 minutes of strength exercises this morning, 40 minutes of cardio and stretching this afternoon, and we're going bowling later. Yes, I'm counting bowling as exercise.

I did slip up on the diet a little bit today... a handful of chocolate footballs and half a bag of these deliciously naughty fried bbq tofu "jerky" things we found at the asian market. Still not too bad. Everything else has been whole grains and vegetables, green tea, miso soup, etc. good stuff.

eta: until the alcohol consumption while bowling. *sigh*

RubyDuby

Quote Back-Space View Post
    Blame Cobweb.... tisk tisk If you've got a treadmill, that's great too. I got my tv hooked up infront of the one at the house back in Ontario. Hoping it will get my parents on it once in a while. That was probably the easiest. Jog for 30 minutes through a favourite tv show
    I somehow missed this post. I don't have a treadmill. I have a gazelle which was set up in the living room for just that reason, but it never got used. :/

Well tonight I did about ten minutes of skipping (actually probably not even that - so exhausting!!!), then Eric Nies' Abs Blast and then about 10 minutes of Les Mills Body Jam, before I gave the latter up in disgust.
    I refuse to be taught aerobics by someone called Gandalf

But it felt great afterwards to have done some exercise... I'd forgotten how good it feels

RubyDuby

That's awesome, fiamma! I know it is such a pain to exercise but it feels like an accomplishment afterwards.
    I did 40 minutes of Insanity today. I'm still very sore from yesterday but made it through, barely. It will be harder this week. I work 12 hour shifts M-Th so I guess I'll just try to be extra active at work to make up for the lack of cardio.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ruby

So do you do Insanity every day? Do you find that works for you, or do you feel you would benefit from having rest days in between? Whatever, I admire your energy!! Could you pass some my way, please?

I put on 6 kilos in the last 6 months. Have now lost nearly 2 and a half through clean eating and the gym, plus bike riding and walk/run. For snack I eat fruit that is not so high GI such as berries etc and nuts and seeds. Also eat a fair amount of soy products. I find sticking to a mainly wholefood diet is the key to staying fit and trim. Even my skin looks better. I don't believe in self motivation so I mainly do gym classes so someone else can motivate me, all I have to do is turn up. I try to go 6x per week. I actually enjoy it.

RubyDuby

treehugga- I definitely understand not having self motivation! I really wish I had a dedicated work-out buddy!

fiamma- no, I used to. When we did insanity the first time around we did it 6 days a week for 9 weeks and I felt awesome... then we stopped for 6 months. I've only just started again, a few times last week.

This is my fitness goal... check it out!!!!

[YOUTUBE]O17YM2JFtS4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Alright, so even to be half as good as he is would be awesome. Or even a quarter...

RubyDuby

That's pretty cool. There's a commercial here that plays all the time with a girl jumping rope... I think it's a sneaker commercial, I'm always impressed by it.

any judokas out there?

@fiamma - Oh...wow I looked out my fitness jump rope at the weekend. Looks like I need to work at it...
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote XchrisX View Post
    any judokas out there?
    I want to do judo so badly! But I did one lesson and I'm kind of scared to go back - scared I will never get how to fall, and just scared of looking like an all round idiot. I'm stupid I know. But I can't get over this psychological hurdle.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Which DVD did you order? Let me know how you like it. I just ordered the 10 min solutions video.
    I liked it. The workout was really good and I'm a bit sore today, which is a good sign. One thing that annoys me is that when she switches to a new move the camera will close up on her. So she'll be doing a new type of kick, but you can't see her legs until half way. Why do they do that!!

Fruitilicious★

Ive also started off couple of weeks back. I do the following:
    2km jogging everyday

★8minutes intense taebow

★Skipping

★Weights for the arms

★Lunges

★Upside down crunches (on our inversion table where I hang upside down)

Just do it!!!!!!
    Fruitilicious Jules★
    http://livingonfruit.blogspot.com/
    http://www.fruitilicioushealth.blogspot.com/