Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Quote Beanie Babe View Post
    During high intensity, shorter workouts, the body utilizes mostly fat for fuel.
    Yes I do believe this must be a misprint, which unfortunately can happen during the editing process as the editor does not necessarily need to know much about the subject.

During high intensity workouts the body uses fuel that is more easily used, ie. the glucose, whereas during slower, more endurance based workouts the body relies on its fat stores. Be aware that if your body is not sufficiently supplied with either that you will start to use up muscle as well. This happens anyway, but it has been seen in people who use diets low in carbohydrates that muscle deterioration is a lot more common.
    Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them.
    We live by the death of others. We are burial places. -LDV
    I choose not to be.

Whew....thanks. Good to know I wasn't doing it all wrong this whole time.

Ok, today's workout was kickboxing as my warm-up. Then an hour of intervals on the treadmill. No lifting today, still sore from yesterday's lifting (chest, triceps). Last night I checked my weight (I know it's bad to weigh in at night, but I hate doing it in the morning cuz if it's bad, it ruins my day.) I'm down 5 pounds (-ish). Knock on wood...cuz usually this is when I get stuck. I need to stay motivated and be consistent...and finally get past another 5 before getting frustrated and giving up. I need to lose about 25 pounds to fit into my running clothes, LOL.

^^ I do the same thing, Beanie Babe! I have lost the same 5 or so pounds over and over.

I have now lost 8, but am leaving to go on vacation on Sunday, so I will gain some over the next 9 days! However, my goal was to lose 10 pounds before my trip, so I got pretty close.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

I've finally started doing insanity again. I want to be in great shape for my wedding. It is not ideal working out in this heat!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Today I did kickboxing for warmup (usually always do that...), 30 minute progressive run on treadmill, strength-training on shoulders, abs and core. Total workout time: 90 minutes. Decided to check AM weight (instead of using bedtime)...was only two pounds less compared to bedtime weight. :/ Anyhoo...I'm really hungry, LOL.

RubyDuby

Today I chased a dog for 3 hours.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I've finally started doing insanity again. I want to be in great shape for my wedding. It is not ideal working out in this heat!
    Awesome. I'm on my second go now, I feel seriously fit!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

RubyDuby

woohoo! Did you take pics?? I hate doing it but feel so good afterwards.

It is the start of the school holidays, and I think I need to take this chance to get a bit fitter again. I like doing Pilates and Yoga, and I usually use DVDs for my routines. Could do with some new ones though, so can anyone recommend some goodies (not too advanced!) Thanks!

Quote Beanie Babe View Post
    @Andy...I must confess, I've heard the 80/10/10 thing a lot but have very little idea of what it is. I assumed it's a carb/protein/fat ratio or something(?).
    Hi Beanie,

sorry, I was on holiday and after I returned this thread had gone off the radar somehow.

Yes, the 80/10/10 ratio means that you should get 80 % of your calories from carbohydrates, and a maximum of 10% from either fat or protein.
    That means e.g. eating a lot of fresh, whole fruits and veggies, and not adding any kind of oils and fats to your food. As an example, if you eat a huge bowl of salad and pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over it, that meal gets 50 % of its calories from the huge heap of salad, and the other 50 % of its calories from the 2 (two) tablespoons of olive oil, so not exactly a good thing. When I eat a salad, I either use only vinegar or make a dressing by blending an orange or grapefruit with some celery, tomatoes, raspberries or whatever tasty fruits and veggies - but not oil.

There's a great book by Dr. Douglas Graham aptly named "The 80/10/10 diet" where he explains the advantages of an 811rv (80/10/10 raw vegan) diet. Basically eating lots of fruit and leafy green vegetables. In this book, Doug Graham also explains how many raw fooders that eat lots of nuts, grains and dehydrated stuff get 60-70% (!) of their calories from fat, which is not a good thing at all and can explain why many don't thrive on a raw diet.

Best regards,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy_T; Sep 1st, 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Typo

I have recently joined a gym and have found that I really enjoy the group classes such as yoga and zumba. I have been doing yoga 1 night/week and zumba 1-2 nights per week, and then 2 additional nights doing a combination of eliptical machines/stair master/running/weight machines. I feel really great and have lost 15 lbs! As far as food goes, I have gotten my portion sizes under control, taken to drinking alcohol very minimally, and trying to eat lots more raw fruits and veggies, with only a handful of hot, heavier meals per week. It seems to be working quite well for me, personally.

^^As for your comment above about why people do not thrive on the raw diet...I believe it. When I first started trying to lose weight/get more in shape this summer, I experimented with eating completely raw. I did not intend to stay 100% raw, but I wanted to see what the impact was on my energy levels and weight. I found that had just as much, if not more energy on a raw diet, but I lost very little weight. I was however eating lots of nuts and avocados, and snacking quite a bit throughout the day to keep from feeling very hungry. I have done much better by increasing my raw intake, but also eating cooked foods.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

So I'm on another health kick. I need to get into shape. Like badly. I've been having issues with my back and leg, more specifically my sciatic nerve. It is EXTREMELY painful, and is due to my hamstrings being too tight according to my doctor. I was told by her to lose weight (about 20 pounds) and to do physical therapy. WELLL....I haven't done really either. And I really dont want to do physical therapy, unless I can't get rid of the pain on my one. For the last two weeks i've been "running" which seems to actually HELP my back, which is weird, and I've been stretching a lot more....my back mostly hurts while sitting down and I have an office job so....

As for my weight, I've been tracking at sparkpeople.com, I haven't been losing anything, but i'm sure its because I drink alcohol very reguarly and in excess, so that is something I need to cut back on too. I'm working on the c25K and I'm actually really enjoying it, the biggest issue is actually getting myself to do it, and not making excuses.

Just wanted to write this out on the forum so I can hold myself a little bit more responsible....

So my plan is.
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday, c25K program
    Tuesday, Thursday, low impact excerise, ie Yoga
    Saturday and Sunday, be active.
    healthy eating, with BALANCE, cut way back on alcohol. maybe 2 days per week, with no binging.

I have yet to have consistancy with the excerise, but I've been doing fairly well with the food. I don't want this to be a temporary change, this needs to be the new norm for me. My body is not happy with me and I am not happy with it.

So here I go!!!! Wish me luck.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Good luck, Missbettie!!!

leedsveg

Yup, good luck missbettie.

Lv

Thanks guys!!! I "ran" and walked yesterday. And my stupid c25K app stopped working, so I just went according to songs on my music player, one song I ran one song I walked. That was pretty tough, I think thats the longest I've ran straight, which is sad. But i'm pretty proud of myself. I got a pretty bad "stitch" or cramp or something in my side running back home.... but I just powered through it, when normally, I would have stopped for a bit. Which doesn't help anyway. My back and leg were killing me when I first started my walk warm up, and I have to walk up a pretty steep hill to get to my bike trail, but I also powered through that, and OMG my back felt sooooo much better last night and even today. Its starting to hurt again, but I think that means I need to get up and walk...

AND furthermore, when I finished stretching out my hamstrings after my "run" I was able to touch the tips of my fingers to the ground!!!!! before that I was only able to touch my shins without screaming in pain.....and before my "injury" I was able to put my hands flat on the ground and almost touch my forehead to my legs....long gone are those days....but if I keep excerising and stretching I bet I could get back there.

I've also lost 2 pounds since I started this about 3 weeks ago. And I think I could get that going a little faster if I just am consistant on excerise and diet and less alcohol. I'm very excited about how much my back feels better when I do this....that just may be my motivation.

Yay me. And crossing my fingers I don't just sit my big butt on the couch when I get home. Yoga is my next adventure..... need to get the stretching in.

leedsveg

^^^

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Well done missbettie.

Lv

Yay I did yoga yesterday!!!!! Kind of....for about 15 minutes. I forgot how difficult it is to do when you are out of shape, or you body is tight, my form was way off....I stopped after 15 minutes because I wanted to make sure my body wouldn't be hating me today for my run, which I will do after work.

missbettie...it's amazing how such slow, serene movements can create such a violent backlash of soreness the next day when we are not used to it! Well, that's true for me, anyway. LOL

Yoga. Is. Hard. When. You. Are. Out. Of. Shape. (but it's worth it )

^ agreed!!!!! i'm planning on running today.... although i'm convincing myself that i don't have to..... NOOOOO COME ON ME!!! I HAVE TO!!! I will feel so much better afterwards!!!!! If I don't run I might ruin all the progress I've made so far. I need to run.

I RAN yesterday. I can now run for 3 minutes and 30 seconds straight. GOOOOO me!!!!! And then I proceded to drink a big bottle of wine all by myself....oopppps..... That didn't help me any now did it? My muscles are sore, in a good way, and I have a bit of a hangover, in a bad way...At least I'm doing something good for myself..... I might do yoga after work, but i'm not entirely sure, I might just rest.

missbettie---You are my kind of girl. Run like hell, and then drink a lot!

I love drinking. But I definately drink too much sometimes!!! lol But I have fun!! And i'm still young.

Enjoy it honey. I am not so young. Will be 49 in Feb and I can see 50 over there in the distance, just over that HILL. LOL.

FWIW, drinking is just as fun at this age, but the recovery time is a little slower. I do love my wine...

Hubby and I are looking for a new home, and our top 3 choices have a wine cellar already there, just begging someone to use them. Shocking!

After that last post, I have decided that I need to go and take a looong walk. I'm outta here.

LOL you're awesome, enjoy your walk. <3

MissBettie- I found the hardest thing was getting up to a mile without stopping. After that I could run longer and longer each time and it was quite easy.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I think thats going to be my challenge too....i've never in my life ran a mile with out stopping. They tried to make us do it in school, but I refused. lol

leedsveg

Quote missbettie View Post
    I think thats going to be my challenge too....i've never in my life ran a mile with out stopping. They tried to make us do it in school, but I refused. lol
    A friend of Mrs Lv and myself took up running last year. She did her first marathon a few weeks ago and yesterday did a 50k (31 mile?) race in just over 6 hours. I'm torn between telling her she's an inspiration or complete nut.

Lv

MB- if you stick with it you will defiantly get there but you have to do it regularly like it or not

LV- Wowsers. I'd go with inspiration mixed with a bit of nuttiness.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

hopefully I keep the small amount of motivation I have. unfortunately drinking so much wine last night killed little "yay I'm doing so good!!" but oh well. can't change it. And hopefully I never have the motivation to run 31 miles....thats a little extreme for me.... lets shoot for 1 mile.

I admire people just starting out, especially if they are visibly in terrible shape. I don't usually admire them for being in terrible shape of course.

Six hours of running sounds like training for quite an unusual emergency... or like dancing on drugs.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

leedsveg

Quote DiaShel View Post
    LV- Wowsers. I'd go with inspiration mixed with a bit of nuttiness.
    Thought you might be interested in the email I received from the (female) friend after the race.

"It hurt. A lot. And I got lost twice and had to deal with a nutter on the bus which ferried us to the start. He wandered onto the bus with us at Nottingham Castle, promptly fell asleep and leaned on me for half an hour, very heavily. He wasn't really dressed like a runner and only seemed to have a mobile phone with him and smelt a bit beery, but people prepare for races in strange ways. When he eventually woke up and I asked him if he was coming with us to run 31 miles he seemed a little taken aback. He confided in me, when I suggested he wasn't from around here, that he came from Ireland, but couldn't remember where, and agreed, several times and at great length, that it was 'very nice around here', wherever it was. I wonder if he's sobered up yet?"

Leedsveg

At least she got a good story out of it other then "I ran, and ran some more, and then kept running."

LOL OMG LV!!!!!! that he was a bit beery....

leedsveg

^^^

At least he had a mobile phone from the list of recommended items for the race:

Compass
    Emergency blanket
    Hat and Gloves
    Head torch and spare batteries
    Long leggings
    Long sleeved top
    Mobile phone (please make sure it is fully charged and switched on for safety reasons)
    Water carrying system - bottles/platypus a good idea
    Waterproof
    Waterproof map bag/cover (we will be providing you with maps at registration)
    Whistle
    Recommended Shoes: Trail shoes

I hope my little tale will encourage forum members to think about doing an ultra race, maybe next year......?

Lv

An update on progress since april:

Weight - Increased by 4 pounds :S
    Height - Increased by half and inch!
    Body fat - Down from 29% to 24%
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - White belt one stripe
    Judo - 5th Kyu (yellow belt)

Feeling stronger and more flexible, wobbly bits do not wobble quite so much and am beginning to see some muscles in my midriff which is a first. I also quite like knowing how to choke someone unconscious but maybe the less said about that the better

I've totally failed. But my SO bought me an early bday present of an ellipicatal, so i've just started using that. I would still like to run, but that may be a once in a while thing.... As its starting to get dark before I can get home and its just not a good idea to run in the dark by yourself....but at least I have my ellipitical now... i've not beeng eating the best, but doing better than I used to....though I have not lost any weight, which is obnoxious.....but keep on trucking....

^Failed...or got yourself an elliptical exercise device?^

Quote vorpal View Post
    An update on progress since april:
    ... I also quite like knowing how to choke someone unconscious but maybe the less said about that the better
    hmmm. If only everyone could be satisfied with the most difficult ways of killing people.
    I was watching some big ippons recently... I felt invigorated by the power.

I think I have developed my concentration enough to maintain implementation of good technique for the full 90 minutes of my swim session. Feeling I can now give it some oomph.

I am near the 2 month mark on being vegan (on Dec 10, 2011) and now going to start keeping track of what I eat again and exercising.

I’m very lucky I have a stationary bike, weight gym, punching bag and a whole bunch of small exercise equipment at home and a $20.00 a month membership to my work gym so I should be all set.

But do I use any of it no and I need to start getting into the routine again. I work better with a set schedule and a few months ago was going to the gym 3 times a week. I eventually got a cold for a few weeks and stopped. Haven’t been back for months….

I read that you should change one thing at a time so I chose to become vegan first and did not worry about anything other then that for awhile. I also would like to get in the habit before Jan when the gym will be full of people doing New Year’s resolution stuff.

What are some motivations do people use to stay active?

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

I'm on the last week of the Insanity workout for the second time.

Feel pretty great after doing it but I really hope I stay in shape this time. I got lazy after I did the first time, my fitness levels dropped and I gained weight. I didn't lose a huge amount of weight doing it this time, about 7 pounds, but I gained muscle, especially in my legs, and my clothes fit better. Saw some serious gains in my stamina and flexibility too.

I think I'm going to go straight into p90x next week, I really want to keep feeling as good as I do and stay in shape!
    Last edited by Barry; Sep 2nd, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...