Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

RubyDuby

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (3)

Thanks Holly.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

BlackCats

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I can fit into my jeans again!
    Well done. I wish I could.

RubyDuby

It was a nice feeling, then today I realized it was just the one pair... but progress nonetheless!

I'm a cyclist but I usually ride alone, which is stupid because you don't get better at things when you're the only one you compare yourself too. So, I did a group ride today to be social, which was divided into three categories A, B, C and D depending on speed.

I decided to do the B group (15-19mph average). I'm not going to explain in depth what type of bike I have but it's not entirely a lightweight road bike. On the initial hill climb I wedged my way into the front of the group. The pace was ridiculously fast since the route was flat we kept 25mph plus sometimes over 30mph and I was like WOW I'm freaking doing this, I'm taking the piss out of guys on $3,000 bikes. They were probably wondering what the hell I was doing. Anyway after 24 miles of being in the front I hit the inevitable bonk and got dropped and was a bit scared cos I didn't know the route.

Turns out I was riding with the A group (and they were probably going easy tonight) unintentionally and there were loads of cyclists behind me. The last 14 miles or so were slow but I kicked out a 19mph average over 38 miles.

Still, I'm psyched I'm getting faster and reaching some of my fitness goals!

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    I'm a cyclist but I usually ride alone, which is stupid because you don't get better at things when you're the only one you compare yourself too. So, I did a group ride today to be social, which was divided into three categories A, B, C and D depending on speed.

I decided to do the B group (15-19mph average). I'm not going to explain in depth what type of bike I have but it's not entirely a lightweight road bike. On the initial hill climb I wedged my way into the front of the group. The pace was ridiculously fast since the route was flat we kept 25mph plus sometimes over 30mph and I was like WOW I'm freaking doing this, I'm taking the piss out of guys on $3,000 bikes. They were probably wondering what the hell I was doing. Anyway after 24 miles of being in the front I hit the inevitable bonk and got dropped and was a bit scared cos I didn't know the route.

Turns out I was riding with the A group (and they were probably going easy tonight) unintentionally and there were loads of cyclists behind me. The last 14 miles or so were slow but I kicked out a 19mph average over 38 miles.

Still, I'm psyched I'm getting faster and reaching some of my fitness goals!
    Chapeau!
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

RubyDuby

Finished my 60 day challenge today! We're planning on doing it over again... maybe not as religiously... I'm excited to see how much easier it is the second time.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=735010966

Nice to hear all these success stories I've been trying for about 75 pushups a day, walking about 2-3 miles 5-6 days a week and I've put on about 4 pounds Lol. Not complaining cuz I'm still under 140, just knocks the motivation back a bit. I tried doing some sit ups last week but they left my back sore the next day. Not sure if I was doing them wrong, or maybe I did too many. Need some low impact exercises I feel better though. I don't feel as tired over the day, I woke up at 6:30 this morning naturally, and I think my breathing has slowed while exercising and resting

I haven't posted here in ages but we've just got a treadmill so I've been using that every afternoon and I'm still doign Davina's work out dvds. I'm going to look up Insanity because RubyDuby has made me curious! Oh and this has reminded me to quit my gym now that we have a treadmill

Quote RubyDuby View Post

What time do you go to bed, kitteh? I've been asleep by 10 the last 2 nights and when the alarm goes off at 4:55 it's all I can do to get up. It's 7:15 now and I could fall back to sleep in a second if I put my head down, and that's after an hour work-out, a shower and 2 cups of black coffee.
    When I was going to the gym @ 5.30am I was getting up at 4.30am and aiming to go to bed at 8.30pm. It started to feel like I was coming home, preparing dinner, doing the dishes and then going to bed :/ Now I'm aiming for bed at 9-9.30pm and I'm up at 5.30am, I need 8 hours now, I used to be ok on less but now I get crankypants!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I'm starting on a strict diet and exercise regimen after packing on some pounds traveling. I always gain weight when I travel/am not working.

I'm rotating days between climbing and yoga. I thought it was a good idea because I get tons of strength training climbing and then stretch out my sore muscles doing yoga. However, I'm getting no cardio... Is really necessary as long as I've lowered my calorie intake? I'm not a fan of cardio. I'll do a lot more walking in the summer but the mornings and after work are too cold/dark. I got lots of excuses Anyway, with the climbing and yoga, which I really want to do, it doesn't leave much time for cardio. Except on the weekends when I might do a long hike.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

GERD has been a blessing in disguise. My main indigestion trigger is overeating and I have stopped doing that to the best of my ability. I'm losing weight. Everyone's noticing. I don't have a working scale, so I don't know how much I weigh, but if random people who aren't my friends are saying, "Wow, you look great!", I guess I am losing!

I want to start exercising. I don't want to be flabby. But I work 45 hours a week, shift work, so I don't feel like I have time. Ah well. Excuses, excuses.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

RubyDuby

I work 12 hour days. There's always time if you make it!

Now that we've finished the 60 day challenge we're only working out every other day or so to maintain. I've stopped counting calories. I feel good and actually like how I look in clothes so that's all that really matters.

Well this sucks. I was starving all day yesterday. Absolutely starving from morning to night. I could sleep last night because I was so hungry. I just put everything I ate into fit day and I had almost 2000 calories. What the hell was I having before that I was full? How can 2000 be SOOOOO little! Not one processed food enough. All it in was fruit and veg, brown rice and oatmeal.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

^ ugh that sucks!!!

I need to start doing something better!!! i'm still gaining weight!! i think i'm going to start with Fit Day again...i just never do it consistently...I never do anything consistently...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I was going to use Calorie King again but my scales are broken so I don't know my weight to put in. I tried using our WiiFit but I know it used to be a few kgs off. Maybe I'll guess and go off that!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I'm starting on a strict diet and exercise regimen after packing on some pounds traveling.
    Are you still in NZ and do you still have plans to visit Sydney? And my trip to Germany a few years ago was the worst. I wasn't vegan then and we spent the whole trip eating lots of food, oops!

Hi all

My main way to keep me in shape is doing housework, its keeps me moving. I have 2 children, a garden and a job so my day is always full and thus have no time to be stationary for a long time. I also do 30 mins. yoga/meditation everyday, go bushwalking in the forest every now and then or when we drive in the country which we do every month practically, we walk around for almost one hour to explore the place. I'm not into structured fitness regime, although my 19 year-old son goes to the gym everyday.
    Respect for all living entities

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I work 12 hour days. There's always time if you make it!
    Haha, you got me there!

@ DiaShel: Did you get enough protein or fat? I find without a lot of fat or protein, I start feeling really hungry, no matter how many calories I ate.

^ Hm, pretty low on the protein and fat. Good call. I'm been eating mostly fruit and veggies. After I work out I make sure to have soy milk with added protein but that's about it.

I exercise 5/6 days a week - 2 pilates classes, 2 aquafit classes, and swim once or twice a week - as well as walking briskly about 2/3 miles 2 or 3 days a week - and I am not losing weight! I do have more energy though. I have just learnt to swim so I suppose I can't count that as full on exercise. But it is frustrating. I know the reason is because I eat a lot and most of it is crap. So I need to do something about that. I don't want to, though!
    But considering that 4 months ago, I could barely walk half a mile without feeling shattered, I am doing something right.

Good job, AnneCE!

I'm thinking of embarking on a no sugar diet. All the google results are pointing me to this fad "no flour no sugar diet" but I just want simple information on eliminating sugars and stuff.

^ Why do you need to google it? It's simple enough, just don't eat sugar!

I'm a dork!

I've broken my stepping machine! Must have been stepping too hard!

RubyDuby

The humidity is zapping my motivation!

Since my last stint of VF I've gone from a pot smoking lay about to abit of a fitness freak. I'm at the gym 4/5 times a week and seriously pumping some iron and getting my general fitness sky high. Absolute loving every minute of it!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

That's great!

I've been increasing my vegetable and fruit consumption and it's GREAT. I feel more energized. But my face is breaking out and I haven't "gone to the bathroom" in a few days.

^ Are you drinking enough water? With all that fiber, you need more water. I know from experience lol
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Water is the answer!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Alright! Water water water!

I agree, drink lots of water!

I started the Couch to 5km program yesterday and I feel pretty good! I walked for another 20 mins after I finished the walk/jog of the first day of the program. Today I will do a workout from a dvd and then the C25k tomorrow. Davina has a new dvd out, Davina Fit, so I'm going to order that too.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Good job, AnneCE!

I'm thinking of embarking on a no sugar diet. All the google results are pointing me to this fad "no flour no sugar diet" but I just want simple information on eliminating sugars and stuff.
    I've been no/low sugar since June and it is FANTASTIC! I just went a bit crazy as I was on holidays/it was my birthday but I'm back to it now and I feel better again. I felt crapola while I was eating it. Do it!

Quote Kitteh View Post

I've been no/low sugar since June and it is FANTASTIC! I just went a bit crazy as I was on holidays/it was my birthday but I'm back to it now and I feel better again. I felt crapola while I was eating it. Do it!

My main sugar indulgence is dark chocolate really. Though I do love cakes, cookies and cupcakes, but I hardly ever have them. If I eat enough fruit, I don't crave sugary things. I don't know if I could give up chocolate though I gave up coffee a while ago, and I feel HEAPS better.

I'm thinking of eating a modified raw diet! For some reason, the idea of an all raw diet doesn't sound 100% appetizing to me. I also don't see the harm in consuming healthy cooked foods either. I'm thinking of eating mostly raw but also eating cooked legumes/beans, sprouted bread, and random cooked "treats".

Quote MoonDance View Post
    My main sugar indulgence is dark chocolate really. Though I do love cakes, cookies and cupcakes, but I hardly ever have them. If I eat enough fruit, I don't crave sugary things. I don't know if I could give up chocolate though I gave up coffee a while ago, and I feel HEAPS better.
    If you're only eating a few pieces of dark choccie at a time I don't think it's a bad thing, but I don't enjoy dark choccie as much as I used to. I still love fruit and I don't mind using agave/maple syrup every now and then.

I'm thinking of eating a modified raw diet! For some reason, the idea of an all raw diet doesn't sound 100% appetizing to me. I also don't see the harm in consuming healthy cooked foods either. I'm thinking of eating mostly raw but also eating cooked legumes/beans, sprouted bread, and random cooked "treats".
    Sounds good to me! I've tried high/all Raw twice and stuck with it for around 3 months but both times I've ended up going back to cooked food. I think eating lots of Raw + some cooked is a good balance.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    If you're only eating a few pieces of dark choccie at a time I don't think it's a bad thing, but I don't enjoy dark choccie as much as I used to. I still love fruit and I don't mind using agave/maple syrup every now and then.

Hehe .... um ... well today I ate ... let's just say quite a lot of dark chocolate But now that you've got me thinking about it, I am seriously giving it thought to either not eat it so much, or to give it up entirely. I'll just eat dates instead or something ...

I love dates too

I finished week 1 of the Couch 2 5K program this morning, woo! Then I walked for another 30 mins. I also did a leg workout yesterday.

I find dates to be much more yummier than dark chocolate. But then again, I don't like dark chocolate and chocolate also gives me heartburn.

RubyDuby

I'm starting back with the work-outs tomorrow whether I like it or not!
    The weather is cooling off and I have the day off so there is no excuse.
    I am still going to be eating chocolate, however.

I've really gone off dark chocolate too, the one chocolate I do like is the Bonvita Rice Milk chocolate but it's quite sweet so I stopped buying it. I do miss it!

Yesterday I did a pump dvd and today boxing.

That's pretty much what I'm doing atm. I'm using cooked food as treat and I normally mix it in with raw stuff anyway. So for example I had a small portion of lentil dahl and on the side I had mounds of salad and raw brocoli and cauliflour.

Today I did 15 mins cycling which got me to 7k however I had it on high resistence. I did 15 mins on the vario and 15 mins jogging. Then I did 36 pullups, 36 lat pulldowns, 36 seated rows at 20kgs, bicep rope, hammercurls, tricep dips to fail (ouchies) and then situps, russian twists and leg bends. I'm feeling pretty pumped. I'm fueling myself with my own electrolyte drink atm. Half a bottle of water topped up with a pinch of himilayan mountain salt, lime juice, lemon juice and a dash of agave. Then afterwards I munch on a raw nakd bar until I can get some food.
    Last edited by emzy1985; Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: I can't spell!

Great work out, Emzy! And I like that you're making your own post-work out drink too.

On Monday I did W2D1 of the Couch 2 5k program, yesterday I did W2D2 both times I continued walking until 45 mins.

I finished week 2 of the Couch25k last week and I started week 3 yesterday!

I finished week 5 of C25k this week! And I started P90X yesterday, feeling a little sore today, but in a good way

Great stuff, kitteh. How long is the C25K (I mean in weeks, I know it's 25k )? I thought about doing the C10K this summer, but didn't get round to it.

All exercising has been put on hold for the last five-six weeks for me. I injured my ankle playing football at the beginning of August, and it's still causing me a bit of grief. Some of you may recall the pic I posted of it on Facebook. Fat purple ankle! It's really frustrating, going from playing four hours of football a week to none. The weight is creeping back on.

On the plus side, it's almost sixty days since my last fag. I've been out drinking with friends and haven't been that tempted. Sat on the terraces on a Saturday is a different matter though; by half time I'm gagging for one!
    I like football. And potatoes.

I went back to the gym three days ago after a two week break, due to being on holiday. Although I tried to keep up with the exercise whilst away, it's just not the same. Friday felt like starting again and I went to a netball game yesterday and just couldn't keep up which is massive fail.

I've been looking on google for something. Don't know if it exists, so I'll just ask and see if anyone on here knows Is there a site that lists the amino acids we need in our diet, and then shows both what types of omni foods and what types of vegan foods contain them? I was told that we don't get all the amino acids we need. I'm sure we do, but I haven't done any research into this to have any arguments against it.

Half way down the page on Wikipedia, there is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid

If you click on each one, you'll get to it's page and there will be a a list of foods that contain that particular amino acid.

So after it being suggested to me as I already do a lot of running and swimming, I decided to give triathlon a go. I did my first sprint distance race two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I seriously need to work on my cycling though which isn't a surprise as I have barely sat on a bike since childhood. Think the spinning classes at my gym and I are going to become acquainted during the winter months when it is too dark/wet/icy to ride my bike. However, I am hoping to knock a few minutes off my personal best at a half marathon coming up in a few weeks first of all....
    Last edited by Holly78; Oct 1st, 2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I was up to week 7 of the C25k this week but I've felt a bit unmotivated and I've had sinus headaches so I didn't do any. I might do day 3 today but I super happy because last week I did the 25 minute jog which was amazing for me as I have never enjoyed jogging!

I've been doing P90X, today is day 7 so I could rest but I will probably do something instead of resting. I've enjoyed plyometrics and kenpo the most. The beginning section of yoga x is annoying but I enjoyed the second half as it's similar to Bikram yoga which I used to do.

Quote Frosty View Post
    Great stuff, kitteh. How long is the C25K (I mean in weeks, I know it's 25k )? I thought about doing the C10K this summer, but didn't get round to it.
    Actually it's Couch to 5k so it's only 5k, there's no way I could do 25k! And it's 9 weeks and by week 9 you should be jogging 30 mins/5k.

Well done on quitting smoking!

Kitteh - do you have a link for this? I'm really interested!

I've lost almost three stone recently. I keep having to buy new clothes. It's amazing how much fitter you feel when you are not trailing a load of flab
    Silent but deadly :p

That's amazing Hemlock................it's fun too, having a good reason to buy lots of new clothes! xxx
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty