Thread: New Vegan Restaurant Hartford, CT

Default New Vegan Restaurant Hartford, CT

I know Hartford is not really a hot location for anyone, but theres a new STRICTLY VEGAN restaurant in the West End on Sisson ave. Its called Fire N' Spice.

Its run by Jamacians so theres some traditional fare, as well plenty of other dishes. Curries, veggie burgers, raw food, juices, junk food. Its really covering it all. It shows some serious promise and everyone who runs it is really friendly. The owner eventually wants to make it a lounge and serve alcohol so it could serve as a good place to hang out.

I normally wouldn't waste the time posting this (since there's only a few from this area on here) but I think this is the only strictly vegan restaurant in the Hartford area, so I will relentlessly pimp it.

Websites a bit crap, but check it out for info http://www.firenspiceveganrestaurant.com

Default Re: New Vegan Restaurant Hartford, CT

Thanks so much for posting this. My in-laws are all in CT. We only get there once or twice a year but we are desperate for eating options when we do. Usually we rely on It's Only Natural which is great but it's nice to have another option.

Thank you for posting. It's so hard to find vegan restaurants in CT. I hope to try it.

Well to the guys above, if you're in the area also take a look at these places

Tangiers International: 668 Farmington Ave West Harford (Prospect intersection west side) Its a middle eastern restaurant with the best Falafel I've ever had. Occasionally has other vegan things like Lentil soups and stuff.

China Pan 1600 Southeast Road, Farmington (by the west farms mall)- A chinese restaurant with a seperate vegan/veggie menu.

Bahavan Udupi- 749 Saybrook Road, Middletown- A vegetarian Indian restaurant that the food can be made vegan upon request. Ask about everything they don't say what has dairy in it on the menu. www.ctudupi.com

Theres a lot of other things as well, especially in the New Haven Area though it is about 30 miles away. Feel free ask any other questions about the Hartford Area though, if you're in need!

Great! Thanks.

Looks good. I did notice that a few of the menu items contain honey though.

I just went. It was really good! Finally, a completely vegan place in CT!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Last time I was at It's Only Natural it had turned completely vegan. The original chef was back and the deal he made to come back included the place going vegan.

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Looks good. I did notice that a few of the menu items contain honey though.
    I noticed the honey as well. I think they'd be cool if you spoke out about it and why its not vegan. But it doesn't really surprise me I know a lot of "vegans" who look the other way about honey.

Last time I was at It's Only Natural it had turned completely vegan. The original chef was back and the deal he made to come back included the place going vegan.
    And thats awesome. I don't go there often because I always feel like I'm getting ripped off. I've always found the portions small and the prices outrageous. Hopefully the menus changed a little since its now vegan.
    Last edited by Eat Y'self Fitter; Feb 16th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Really?! Ion is one of my favorite places. As of a couple months ago they were completely vegan. Everything is minus cheese.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

my plug for vegan dining in new haven:
    i went to another (somewhat new) jamaican themed vegan place TODAY in new haven - Ellen's Healthy Choice. it's tiny and intended for takeout but there are 3 tables to dine in. They make pepper steaks in house!!!! And BBQ ribs. I loved it sooo much, that I spoiled my family and bought us like 4 days worth of food & baked goods

Eat Y'self Fitter - thank you for the new suggestion! I can't wait to try another place like the place i went today!!! i sincerely appreciate you sharing. do you know of any bakeries?

veganwitch - i love ION and they did stop serving fish, but cheese was still an option this past summer, i'm glad it's not anymore. i like to be able to eat EVERYTHING on the menu once in a while

^Hm, that's curious about the cheese at ION. I haven't been there since before the summer and at that time they assured me they were 100% vegan. It seems like they must have added a cheese option since then. Well, that is just lame.

Before the summer? No, I went there all the time for the past 3 years, there was always cheese.

WTF? I guess I was last there in January 2009. The waitress kept explaining how they were 100% vegan now b/c I kept asking for verification on the stuff we ordered and I know some of it had cheese. Strange.

Yes I clearly remember actual cheddar cheese being on the menu and a disclaimer that you can ask for the different cheeses (I forget which comes standard though).
    It would be nice if they just got rid of it. I'd like for vegetarians to see how easy the switch to vegan can be, especially when restaurants make imitation cheese a staple instead of an option.