Thread: Am I likely to go through a sort of detox process?

Firegirl

Default Am I likely to go through a sort of detox process?

I don't think I can call myself a vegan yet; for a start there are still animal derivatives working their way through my digestive system and secondly, my favourite handbags and shoes are made of leather - but it's day one of my journey. My question is this: am I likely to go through a sort of detox process? Will there be zits and headaches over the next few weeks?

Default Re: Body Shock

... and possibly boils too!

Firstly, hi and welcome Good to 'meet' you.

Some people have a detox thing for a few weeks, but not everyone. It probably depends on what you ate before compared to now, I guess (i.e. is it a big change in diet or a small change and whether you're going from unhealthy to healthy or a mix of both, etc). Though there's enough vegan junk food out there to avoid a detox if necessary!

Re the lifestyle things, there are some really nice alternatives available - there are threads on the forum for shoes, jewellery, toiletries, cosmetics etc so have a browse and I bet you find some new favourites

See you around the forum

leedsveg

Hi Firegirl and welcome.

You'll probably be just fine. I think it's coming of drugs like caffeine that can cause a headache problem.

leedsveg

Firegirl

Thanks for your replies - I guess I'll stick to the coffee and try and drink lots of water to wash the toxic yuk away as quickly as possible.

This change has found me, rather than the other way around, and I suppose my decision embrace change is based more on my own well being than the well being of animals. But I do know one thing about change; if you change your behaviour your thoughts and feelings follow - reading many of the posts yesterday has already got me thinking "why would I want an animal to suffer, just so I can eat something?".

I gave up dairy products a couple of years ago (or at least the obvious ones) for Lent, but felt so much better I never went back.

This year I'm going vegan for Lent - part of me hopes it is a change for life, part of me is afraid because my partner is an avid meat eater and I'm scared I won't want to kiss him.

Lots of people on here with omni partners - just make him brush his teeth first!

(My carnivorous OH has gradually become veggie after I became vegan, so there's always hope!)

Firegirl

Thanks Est - funny thing is I got a text from him about 10 mins after posting, saying that he is going to explore veganism with me; he's more interested in politics, but that's fine by me. Obviously the thought crossed his mind too.