Thread: Vegan London, Part Three

Default Vegan London, Part Three

Carrying on from:

Vegan London, part 2

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22500

Which contains a lot of useful info.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Re: Vegan London, Part Three - 2010

Scoop is opening another branch at 53 Brewer Street in early April. They hope to be open on the first Saturday.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks for that veganmonkey - it is a bit worrying about the parmesan (seeing that isn't even vegetarian IIRC) but as you say it may be better once they get into their stride. The pricing does sound quite reasonable especially for that part of town. Did the other customers seem satisfied or couldn't you tell?

Thanks for the review VeganMonkey, much appreciated. I read elsewhere that the service wasn't great and portions a bit small. I'm surprised about the service as I thought this was always a Zilli restaurant and had just changed the menu (and maybe had a refurb) so surely they should know what they are doing? It's not like it's a totally new venture.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

That's true Marrers, it's just been refurbished so you wouldn't think the staff were new. I think they were just recovering after the lunchtime rush so they seemed more concerned about resetting the tables than serving us! It was just little things really - didn't bother me too much but I expected a bit more (i.e. no offer of pepper when served and none on the table, no spoon for my tagliette).
    Harpy, funnily enough the couple next to us weren't impressed. They had obviously gone there specifically as I heard her asking about the rice pudding which she'd seen on the online menu and which wasn't on the menu in there. I also heard her telling the waiter that her lasagna (not a vegan option) was dry - he got distracted by the phone and didn't offer to fix the problem in any way.
    I don't mean to make it sound bad though - I'll definately go back (probably often as the location is so handy). At the end of the day, I enjoyed my food and that's the most important thing for me!

Yes I'll give it a try as well, although perhaps I'll have something to eat first so I don't get too ratty if the service is slow or the portions small

I'll give it a try but I'll be letting them know my thoughts if I feel it isn't up to standard in any way. If this is going to be some peoples' first or only experience of a veggie place (if they go just for the name) we want it to be good don't we!

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    However, after she'd set everything down she asked us if we wanted parmasan which didin't inspire much confidence!
    Most worryingly, I understand that no Parmesan is even suitable for vegetarians. Of course, it could be a Parmesan-like vegetarian cheese. But then they wouldn't be allowed to call it Parmesan.

So do they even know what vegetarian means, let alone vegan?

harpy just said that - pay attention!

Doh.

I think I accidentally skipped messages 6-8 thinking they were messages 3-5 since they were posted by the same people in the same order!

I'll go back to bed now...

Quote Marrers View Post
    Scoop is opening another branch at 53 Brewer Street in early April. They hope to be open on the first Saturday.
    What does Scoop offer for vegans?
    I've never heard of it before!

Have to say Im lovong the hut!

Loving the hut in Camden - really nice atmosphere and food - best ever burger! The staff are so chatty and friendly there and Kenny from Peking Palace is making all the cakes/cheesecakes which are so nice.

I went for lunch yesterday and was so impressed I went back to Camden today before my train home to get a take out bag to bring home - parents were most impressed with their cake!

I have also stocked up at SSOV - that is one cool new shop in Kings Cross - went Fri pm and brought food items which were kept in the fridge for me so went back to collect those today and spent more on food! The vegan cream cheese is really good - like that Boursin one I had before I went vegan. Also got some frozen meals to try which look very good. Also got some of those vegan cake type buns with filling.

Have said Il spread the word about SSOV and Loving Hut

puca

It's pay day next Friday, so methink that a trip to Housman's bookshop, then SSOV is due, seeing as they are so conveniently close.

ETA: If anybody is free for coffee that weekend lemme know

Buddha Belly

I/ We may be about on Friday evening. Depends on work, if someone is in or not.

If you remember the macrobiotic vegetarian restaurant that used to be at the East West Centre in Old Street, or are interested in Japanese vegan wholefood cooking, pop along to the London Vegans talk on Wednesday about Macrobiotics with Simon Brown.

Date: 24/02/10 Wed
    Time: 18:30-21:30
    Venue: Community Rooms, Millman Street (entrance next to 38a), WC1N 3EW.

Nearest Stations: Russell Square, Holborn, Chancery Lane.

'Learning from traditional cultures to create the ultimate modern vegan diet.' Admission £2 (£1 concs.). Free hot drinks and biscuits provided. Newcomers are welcome. No alcohol or smoking allowed, but nearby pub session afterwards is an option. Hot Food can be pre-ordered from Shambhu's: 020 8931 0030.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Walked past it today - it's the shop right next door to Glasshouse Stores (Vegan Routes is almost opposite)!

Good Lordy Lord!

That little haunt of ours is turning into a mini Brighton
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Hello, this is my first post so please be nice! Me and my other half went to the new Zilli Green restaurant with a couple of omni friends last night and really enjoyed it. We were a bit rushed for time as we were going on to the theatre, but the staff were very helpful and brought the food out quickly. We both had the tofu 'steak' with asian salad which was yum (although could have used a little more seasoning IMHO), with sides of rosemary roasted potatoes and spinach with garlic and chilli - both delicious! Sadly we didn't have time to try the desserts (my favourite part of a meal lol) but I hope to rectify that on another visit.

I would give a big to ambience, staff, portion sizes, vegan choices, and quality of food. Our omni friends enjoyed their veggie pasta dishes and said they would go back too.

That's good Marrers, although it doesn't sound as if Wholefoods is making much progress with their plan to stock more healthy food and less junk

Thanks for the report, kaylee - much more encouraging than an earlier one I read so they must have pulled their socks up since opening.

Quote harpy View Post
    it doesn't sound as if Wholefoods is making much progress with their plan to stock more healthy food and less junk
    Maybe they are stocking more healthy stuff harpy - I wouldn't know as I don't go down those aisles!!

Buddha Belly

Has anyone ever been here: http://s208303316.websitehome.co.uk/

Bonnigton Cafe in Vauxhall. What is it like?

I have had lunch breaks in Vauxhall many times at work and am kicking myself that I did not know it.

Do a search (sorry I can't search and link to it as I'm on my phone), there is a thread about it with a review - unless it got put into this thread.

I was a little disappointed that the Wholefoods cake had a very thin layer of jam holding the two sponges together rather than frosting or something moist.
    The fondant chocolates worked out at 90p each and imo the chocolate is too thick. Rococo fondant chocolates are much nicer.

Finally got around to visiting Vx yesterday- it's fantastic! Bought so many sweet things; Trios, Confetti Cookies (amazing. probably one of the nicest vegan treats I've ever had), whoopies and some chocolate peanut butter bites. Also some vegan cat food, but Rasputin was having none of it

So yes, I fully recommend you pay Vx a visit! It's a very short walk from Kings Cross Station: 73, Caledonian Rd.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Also some vegan cat food, but Rasputin was having none of it
    Awesome name for a cat! ... does he look like Rasputin?

I love the Whoopies from Vx (said as V 'cross', as it's 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross!) and they were selling a lovely looking chocolate cake with strawberries on top by the slice but I didn't get any.

It's well worth a visit - they have loads of goodies from frozen ready meals to stylish shoes to condoms and apparently there is more to come! Nice to be somewhere you know you can buy anything you pick up without any label reading.

Benefit for FARMED FRIEND ANIMAL RESCUE SANCTUARY

1980s DISCO/PARTY night, Saturday 13th March

MANNIONS PRINCE ARTHUR PUB
    158 Broad Lane, Tottenham, N15
    8pm till 1am
    £3 on the door.

Vegan cakes for sale.

Raffle - prizes include 2 nights for 2 people at a veg b&b, Booja Booja
    chocolates, cakes, CDs.

Quote loveganism View Post
    Awesome name for a cat! ... does he look like Rasputin?
    Not much, but he is a bit of a love machine:

BlackCats

Quote Frank View Post
    Benefit for FARMED FRIEND ANIMAL RESCUE SANCTUARY 1980s DISCO/PARTY night, Saturday 13th March
    MANNIONS PRINCE ARTHUR PUB
    158 Broad Lane, Tottenham, N15
    8pm till 1am
    £3 on the door.
    Vegan cakes for sale.
    Raffle - prizes include 2 nights for 2 people at a veg b&b, Booja Booja
    chocolates, cakes, CDs.
    That sounds pretty good Frank.

I'm finally going to try the Gallery Cafe in Bethnal Green tomorrow. Gallery Cafe We are also going to Zilli Green on Thursday. Thanks for the reviews VeganMonkey and Kaylee.

Hope you enjoy Zilli Green BlackCats - let us know what you think. I was thinking I should probably give it another sampling pretty soon!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Not much, but he is a bit of a love machine:

That really is a cool name for a cat, do you sing the song to him?
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    That really is a cool name for a cat, do you sing the song to him?
    Of course! I've taught him all about his Russian heritage. I tried to buy him a little Russian outfit, but apparantly they don't exist.

BlackCats

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Hope you enjoy Zilli Green BlackCats - let us know what you think.
    Thanks, I will report back.:smile:

Gallery Cafe was great today and it has very friendly staff. It was much bigger than I expected although I didn't manage to get a seat near the window overlooking the garden as it was really busy at about 1.30. There were a lot of vegan options on the menu. We had a vegan burger, two big bowls of fries, a piece of cake, two cupcakes, a bottle of cider and a bottle of water and it came to less than £20! The food was delicious too. I am definitely going back there as often as possible.

I am going to The Gate vegetarian restaurant in Hammersmith in a few weeks time. Has anyone been? Any recommendations from the menu?

http://www.thegate.tv/gate2008/web/default.asp
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I haven't been for a while so my comments wouldn't be relevant now (when it was the only upmarket veggie restaurant in town we used to end up at The Gate on almost every special occasion).
    Have a good time and let us know what you think of it.

Thanks for posting about The Gallery Cafe BC. My omni freinds were up that way a few weeks back, they didn't eat there but were telling me how good the food and vegan cakes looked so it's good to hear from someone who has been!

I went to the Gate a couple of years ago and was impressed. It was the first veg*n restaurant I'd visited that didn't just cook 'substitute' foods. If I was in the area I would definitely go again although I would say the service was a bit slow considering we had reserved our table in good time to make a show at the Apollo and ended up being a bit late.

I really like the look of Tibits and would like to visit if I get myself up into London again, or I guess I should say when. I guess good food is motivation to overcome hurdles.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Thanks, I will report back.:smile:

Gallery Cafe was great today and it has very friendly staff. It was much bigger than I expected although I didn't manage to get a seat near the window overlooking the garden as it was really busy at about 1.30. There were a lot of vegan options on the menu. We had a vegan burger, two big bowls of fries, a piece of cake, two cupcakes, a bottle of cider and a bottle of water and it came to less than £20! The food was delicious too. I am definitely going back there as often as possible.
    How was the burger BC? (Glad you had a good day )
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote aubergine View Post
    I really like the look of Tibits and would like to visit if I get myself up into London again, or I guess I should say when. I guess good food is motivation to overcome hurdles.
    Ive been twice now and really like Tibits - about 75% of the main salad 'boat' was vegan - yes Its not cheap but the food is so fresh and tasty - normally I find I leave some salads but not here - have yet to find one I didnt like! Never tried any pudding dont think they do many vegan ones but the salad selection was amazing and they do freedom ber on tap. Filling tasty food yet I never feel over full when I leave. Do try the potato wedges!

BlackCats

^ I really liked the food at Tibits too.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    How was the burger BC? (Glad you had a good day )
    The burger was okay but seemed very healthy and homemade. The chips and cakes were really nice.

Zilli Green was very nice tonight. We shared bread with olive oil, roast rosemary potatoes and the quinoa and wild mushroom sushi rolls for a starter and then I had the tagliatelle with mushrooms and white truffle oil for a main. The pasta was gorgeous. I was too full to eat any dessert after that. I thought the prices were very reasonable as well.

Quote alisont View Post
    Do try the potato wedges!
    And the onion rings!
    Ooh and the bean and walnut salad!

I've never seen the onion rings at Tibits but they usually have the wedges. The bean & walnut salad is really tasty, probably my favourite dish there.

SAF RESTAURANT AND BAR AT WHOLE FOODS MARKET® KENSINGTON TO BE OPEN AT THE END OF MARCH
    Whole Foods Market and Saf Restaurant and Bar are coming together to bring Saf's signature plant based dining experience to Whole Foods Market's Kensington store from Spring 2010. The new restaurant and signature cocktail bar will be a major feature of the first floor's 'Market Restaurant' and it will give diners the opportunity to have an intimate dining experience amongst the buzzy store atmosphere.

Glad you enjoyed Zilli Green BlackCats. Did you book? Was it busy? - it felt to me like it would be a bit claustrophobic when full! If you were too full for dessert my suspicions have been confirmed: I'm a greedy pig! I had the same main as you and thought it was yummy too. Did you get offered cheese on top though? Did you feel confident that the waiter understood what vegan was? [sorry, 20 questions!!]

BlackCats

VeganMonkey - I did book about a week before and I got a call on the day to check I still wanted it. It was very busy in there and I did feel a little cramped at times. A member of staff said that it is more quiet at lunchtimes and busy in the evenings. I'm sure I am more greedy than you. I sometimes fill up on a few starters and then can't fit in any dessert! The waiter didn't offer me any cheese on top of my pasta.

That's good that you weren't offered cheese.. What with the creamy looking sauce and being asked if I wanted cheese I wasn't too confident my meal was really vegan which spoilt the enjoyment a bit.
    I must admit, I thought most of the starters and side dishes sounded more interesting than the mains and the roast potatoes and spinach were lovely so I might order a load of sides instead of a main next time!

I made my second visit to Mrs Marengo's today. I had the mushroom and ale pie with mushy peas and fries. It was fab
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Vegan cake fest? Don't mind if I do:

http://www.tohappyvegans.com/wordpre...st-march-2010/

Might bake something if my oven is working by then.

I tried out Loving Hut recently--really liked the burger, and I'm usually not a huge fan of faux meat!

Quote Holly78 View Post
    I am going to The Gate vegetarian restaurant in Hammersmith in a few weeks time. Has anyone been? Any recommendations from the menu?

http://www.thegate.tv/gate2008/web/default.asp
    I stopped by The Gate last night on my way back from a movie at the Riverside Cinema. I couldn't resist trying out The Gate. Had already had dinner, but my friend and I split the apple crumble. It was really nice (though kind of pricey for the size), and the service was really fast (probably because we went just before closing and there was only other group there). My omni friend was impressed. I definitely want to go back sometime to try their mains, though I think I'll have to wait for a special occasion... The decor is really nice, too. Hope you enjoy it!

Quote bryzee86 View Post

Ooh, this looks really great! Think I'll go. Can't decide what to bake...

Quote mariana View Post

I stopped by The Gate last night on my way back from a movie at the Riverside Cinema. I couldn't resist trying out The Gate. Had already had dinner, but my friend and I split the apple crumble. It was really nice (though kind of pricey for the size), and the service was really fast (probably because we went just before closing and there was only other group there). My omni friend was impressed. I definitely want to go back sometime to try their mains, though I think I'll have to wait for a special occasion... The decor is really nice, too. Hope you enjoy it!

Thank you! I will post a review after I have been.
    Last edited by Holly78; Mar 18th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Messed up quote
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote bryzee86 View Post

Awesome. I'll have to see if I can get myself down there.